"The Mini Dome"

"The Mini Dome"

A Story by Cody Williams

“The Mini Dome”

By Cody Williams

 

1.

The Mini Dome. That’s what Dexter Samson, the professor of Science at Little Rock University (LRU), first called it when his students brought it to him. It was a Saturday afternoon; nothing was really out of the ordinary. Dr. Samson was sitting at his desk in his office preparing his lessons the next week when he heard a loud crashing sound came from out in the hallway. He stood up, removed his spectacles and placed them on the desk. Dexter walked out of the office and looked down the hallway to his left.

            It was very clear as to what made the noise now as he saw three of his students walking down the hallway. Brenda, a straight A student, was to the right, Connie, a beautiful brunette with a slander body, was to the left, and Gregg, the prankster of the class was walking between them while pushing a rusted out yellow wheelbarrow with something large covered up.

            Just turn around and walk away now! Dexter thought to himself as he turned his back to them and started to walk back into his office. Don’t question the teenagers Dexter! It only leads to more questions! He thought again as grabbed the door and began to close it.

            “Dr. Samson!” Gregg’s voice called out just before the door could shut completely. S**t! They caught me! He thought as he turned around and opened the door back up.

            “What can I do for you ladies and…Gregg?” Dexter asked with a much-noted lowered voice when he mentioned Gregg’s name. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Gregg. It wasn’t that at all. Sometimes a class clown is a good thing. It’s the only thing-keeping students for leaping to insanity. Still, he didn’t like it very much how Gregg tended to make his life more difficult.

            “We’ve got something here you might want to look at!” Gregg said pointing at the object that was beneath the sheet. Dexter smiled, something that he didn’t do too often, and looked at them. Just humor them Dexter! It’s probably not something too horrible under there! He stepped to the side and motioned for them to enter the room. They did and Dexter shut the door behind them.

 

2.

The three friends walked over in front of Dexter’s desk as Dexter sat down. He leaned back in his office chair with his arms folded and looked at them.

            “Alright, what do you guys got?” He asked them. Brenda and Connie looked at Gregg. He smiled at them and reached down, grabbed the sheet, and pulled it off of the thing in the wheelbarrow. Gregg threw the sheet in the floor and Dexter sat up and leaned in towards the object. It was a small black dome that measured about three feet along the base.

            “What is it?” Dexter asked.

            “I was hoping you could tell us.” Gregg replied. Dexter stood to be feet and slowly made his way over to it.

            “It looks like a dome. A mini dome.” He stated as he knelt down next to it.

            “Yeah! It looks like something from the Simpson’s movie!” Connie said. Brenda looked over to her and rolled her eyes.

            “Where did you guys find it?” Dexter asked. The three of them looked at each other and then looked back at Dexter.

            “The woods!” Gregg said with a straight face. Dexter looked up at him confused.

            “The woods? And you found it just sitting out there?” Dexter asked them. They all looked at each other for a moment and then looked back at him and nodded. Dexter knelt down beside of it and examined it further. “How did you all pick it up? It seems pretty heavy.” Dexter asked with suspicion. The three friends looked at each other once more and then looked back Dexter.

            “It was. Ito all three of us to lift the damn thing up and we still just barely got it into the wheel barrow.” Gregg replied. Dexter gave the three a strange expression and then turned his attention back to the mini dome. He slowly stuck out his hand and placed it onto the black surface of the dome. The black surface of the dome started to light up and turns purple kind of like a black light does when it is lit.

            “What the hell?” Dexter asked before he saw a flash of white light shoot out of the mini dome and toss him across the classroom over behind his desk.

            “Jesus Crist!” Gregg shouted out as the three friends ran over behind the desk to check on Dexter.

            “Mr. Samson, are you alright?” Connie asked as she and Gregg grabbed Dexter from under the arm and pulled him to his feet. Dexter closed his eyes and leaned him back up against the dry erase board behind him and placed his right hand over his eyes to rub his forehead. He removed his hand from his forehead and looked down at the floor.

            “S**t!” Dexter mumbled as he knelt down and pickets a pair of black-framed glasses from the floor.  He held them up in front of his eyes and looked through them. Each lenses was cracked and the right on was so severe that he was barely visible. “S**t!” He said again as he clipped them onto the right pocket of his white exam coat. What used to be the mini dome was gone. It was now just a circle of dirt with some sort of black liquid in the center of it.

            “What the hell?” Dexter asked as he went around his desk and walked back over to where the mini dome was before. He waved his arms through the air of where the walls of the dome used to be but there was nothing there. “Where the hell did it go?” He asked with a ponderous look on his face as he grabbed his chin in thought. He looked at the black liquid for a moment before slowly reaching down to tough it. Dexter gently rubbed his index finger along the surface of the black liquid and then pulled back away from it. The substance was gooey somewhat like maple syrup, but black.

            “What is it Mr. Samson?” Brenda asked him.

            “I don’t know.” He said as he stood back up and turned to face them. Something was different. Dexter could since that. The facial expressions of the teenagers changed as they were all smiling back at him. But wasn’t a smile of happiness. No. Dexter could tell that. It was if they had out smarted him.

            “What is it? Why are you all looking at me like that?” Dexter asked. The three exchanged looks with one another again and then looked back to Dexter.

            “We’re done with you old man. You did what we needed you to do!” Craig said.

            “What was that?” Dexter asked as he slowly began to back away.

            “We needed you to open the mini dome. You see, we couldn’t do it. We needed some pesky human to do it. You just seemed like the perfect subject.” Connie replied as she slowly began to make her way over to him. Their eyes began to glow a purple color as they backed him into a corner and surrounded him.

            “Human? What the hell are you guys? What the hell was in that dome?” Dexter shouted out. He could feel his legs start to give out as he fell down to his knees. A small creature with eight tentacles like a baby octopus and a round body like a horseshoe crab crawled in between the legs of Connie and crawled up her body before coming to rest on her left shoulder.

            “Jesus Crist! What the hell is that?” He shouted.

            “That’s our baby. Now its time for us to infect more on this planet starting with you!” Gregg said as the creature leaped off of Connie’s shoulder and forced its way into the mouth and down the throat of Dexter. Dexter stood back to his feet and began to shake and spasm all over. He bent over on his desk and began to catch as if he was choking before his legs gave out again and he collapsed onto the floor.

            “Now Dexter, how are you feeling?” Gregg asked with a smile as his eyes changed from a purple glow back to normal. Dexter stood back up in a hurry and looked at Gregg. His eyes were glowing a purple color before they finally changed back into the brown color they were before.

            “Fantastic!” Dexter said as he stared back to the mini dome that was their once again. Dexter looked out the door into the hallway after hearing a door open and close. It was Bud, the janitor coming in for graveyard shift. The four of them looked at each other as their eyes began to glow purple again. “He’s perfect.” Dexter said as his eyes turned back to normal.

            “Bud! Why don’t you come in here for a moment! We’ve got something to show you!” Dexter said as he stepped out into the hallway and pointed towards the classroom.

            “Oh really? What’s that?” Bud asked as he walked into the classroom and Dexter shut the door behind them.


Copyright 2014 by Cody Williams
Courtesy of The Enchanted Press
A division of TTP Entertainment


Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected <br>2S6J-VSKP-J3VW-OWMA

© 2014 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
This one is a bit strange. i hope you all like it! Comments and reviews are welcome as always!

-CW

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I recall a similar tale you wrote about an orb falling from the sky into a farmer field.

The writing seems improved in this one, still a lot of typos, but smoother in most places.

Some sentence construction is awkward, 'crawled in between the legs of Connie' how about 'crawled between Connie's legs'

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Noel! I'll take another look at it.

-CW



Reviews

I recall a similar tale you wrote about an orb falling from the sky into a farmer field.

The writing seems improved in this one, still a lot of typos, but smoother in most places.

Some sentence construction is awkward, 'crawled in between the legs of Connie' how about 'crawled between Connie's legs'

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Noel! I'll take another look at it.

-CW
Very interesting story you have penned here. I really like the twist. I recommend going back and reading through it to catch the spelling errors, but other than that well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 13, 2014
Last Updated on October 13, 2014
Tags: science fiction, horror, aliens, The Mini Dome, short story, literary fiction, prose, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..