A maiden and her dragon

A maiden and her dragon

A Story by Sara Rose
"

A short, but unusual love story that starts with the expected knight in shining armor, fair maiden and fire breathing dragon. But that is only how it is to start, not a guarantee how it will end...

"

As told with every fairy tale involving dragons, a knight is sent to slay said beast. He rides on his gallant white steed. Riding hard and for many days to where the dragon lives. The entrance of the cave dark and cold under the cover of the trees it hides beneath in the forest.

The knight alights from his horse, the clanking of armor louder now that it just him to face the enemy. Pulling out his sword, he stalks along the cave tunnel, it growing slowly warmer as he goes deeper into its belly.

Then there is a light and the heat has the man sweating in his chain mail as he becomes surrounded by the gold and jewels in the dragon’s hoard. On the other side of the vast treasury, lays the prize that all knights seek and many die for. A beautiful princess that was kidnapped and held against her will sleeps on a silken bed mat. Her sleeping face a perfect calm and showing that of untold beauty painted upon it.

The dragon gone for the time being.

The knight hurries to the asleep maiden and shakes her awake saying, “My lady, I’m here to rescue you. We must hurry, before the creature returns!”

But she just looks at him, shaking her head. “No, there is no point, he’ll be back soon. And besides I-”

A roar interrupts her and our hero turns to see the dragon standing over them. Its eyes burning with hatred at the intruder and claws bared to rip him to pieces.

He grips tighter on his sword, a chill of excitement at the chance to truly rescue a maiden from danger.

The dragon lunges head first at the waiting enemy, shooting a wall fire as it attacks. He easily dodged it, returning the attack with the blade of his sword. There is a roar and a scream, and then the hero only saw red.

When it’s over, the dragon lay slain at his feet as he collapses by its open maw. He drops his weapon and breathes. But peace doesn’t last long. The princess screams, running to the dead beast. She hugs its scaled neck, letting the spikes rip her dress sleeves. Then she begins to sob, her once beautiful face turned ugly with grief.  

“Beloved, my love! Don’t be gone. It cannot be so!” trying to wish the entire thing away.

Our “hero” stands up, confused by this display. What is the meaning, a princess in love with a monster? Not that it matters, for now it’s dead.

He grabs the still crying maiden, hauling her away as she claws at anything to be free and back with her lover and protector, not his murder.

The prince fought with valor, slaying the dragon. But as they rode back to the castle, she cries every day, for she loved that dragon.  



© 2014 Sara Rose


Author's Note

Sara Rose
I truly just want anyone who wishes to give a opinion to do so. I enjoy feedback and love it if it is to help me improve!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an interesting idea for a story, but you need a lot of work on grammar and keeping your narration in one tense. I'd be glad you help you edit it, and if you'd like, you could read some of my stuff and tell me what you think about it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sara Rose

9 Years Ago

Yes, I would love to know what needs be improved, that's very helpful.
Woolliza

9 Years Ago

Sorry for the long silence. First, I would recommend putting all of your narration in one tense. You.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 16, 2014
Last Updated on December 16, 2014
Tags: fairy, tale, fariy tale, maiden, dragon, knight, love

Author

Sara Rose
Sara Rose

About
I am a person who just loves to write about the weird ideas and dreams that happen in my head. You'd be surprised what can appear and happen in there that makes for a story (may not be a good one, but.. more..

Writing