The Air Sculptor

The Air Sculptor

A Story by Jills
"

A street performer with not so usual talents

"

            Fast moving cars, horns honking as well as the fast click of heels could be heard through the bustling city as he stood back, taking it all in. Breathing in a deep sigh while studying the sea of faces, he prepared to work his magic.

            This was his life, what he did in order to survive. Stretching his fingers, he prepared to work his magic on the crowd that would be sure to gather round.

            Starting with his index finger on his right hand, he began slicing through the air in a slow motion in the shape of a circle, soon afterwards he began picking up speed with every rotation. Once he picked up enough speed, a rush of colors spewed out from his fingertip.

            Just like he predicted, people were stopping in front of his spot as they stared in amazement of what he was doing. A smirk played on his lips, knowing full well the effect on which he cast on people, but that only urged him on more.

            More colors erupted from his solitary finger. The crowd let out gasps as the different hues of purple, orange and green mixed and became an odd sort of colors.

But what fascinated the people even more was with each revolution of his finger, the more colors came out. No one could help but wonder what exactly came out of his fingers that was so colorful, as it just hung there in mid-air, defying all the laws of gravity. It looked to be a sort of liquid, the way it glistened as it spun, but yet again no one knew.

            The more the colors kept pouring out of his finger, the longer his masterpiece became, forming the structure of a thick log, but only smoother and more beautiful to look at.

            All at once, his finger stopped rotating ending the flow of colors. Yet, the liquid colors were still floating in the air, rotating on as if he hadn’t stopped his finger. He raised his right hand and held it palm open to the hole nearest him on the air piece as if by him merely doing that it would keep its place in the air.

            With all his concentration focused solely on his masterpiece, he maneuvered his hand so that the back of his hand was facing the ground, and as he moved his hand the air piece moved along with him, until it was hovering in the air in a vertical position.

            Taking his left hand, he held it a couple inches away from the side of it. Sucking in a deep breath of air, he began blowing onto the air piece. After a couple seconds of nothing coming out, a flame soon shot out of his lips, causing the bystanders to all take a couple steps back, be cautious in case the flame spread out.

            As the flame touched the air piece, it started to mold into something else. The hole at the bottom by his right hand gradually closed as the bottom rounded out, while a couple inches higher the diameter grew smaller.

            His left hand moved up the piece as it kept spinning. The top of the air piece grew wider, and with the movement of his hands the edges spilled over, creating a small curtain that went around the piece.

            Once the new sculpture was molded the way that he wanted to, the flames died. But he was not done yet, as the sculpture was still slowly revolving in the air above his hand.

            Taking his left hand, in a movement as if to act if he was going to hit it, he stopped two inches away from it, his palm wide open. Suddenly, a gust of wind burst from his hand, chilling the air around him. It kept going until the air around him felt like an ice box, cooling the sculpture off completely.

            At last his work was done. With a flourishing bow, he showed off his new creation to the audience who were clapping in wonderment. They had never seen someone create a glass sculpture out of thin air, and probably never would again unless they were to walk by that same spot every day where the air sculptor worked his magic.

© 2009 Jills


Author's Note

Jills
I wrote this for a "contest" on another site, for descriptions. Can you visualize what's happening?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on November 12, 2009

Author

Jills
Jills

Newbury, OH



About
The name is Jilleen E. Quigley, but I prefer to go by Jill, it's a lot shorter, dont ya think? The age I am is 20 years, but don't let that fool you. I can be rampant as as 15 year old, or just as wi.. more..

Writing
Broken Promises Broken Promises

A Story by Jills


Musical Drug Musical Drug

A Poem by Jills


I Wish I Could I Wish I Could

A Poem by Jills