Woken by Nightmares

Woken by Nightmares

A Poem by Kiwi Panda Vixen
"

This is why I don't like having dreams. They always start off with something crazy.. And lead to that last part.. The room with a bridge.. A reoccurring nightmare since age 11; I'm 23 now.

"

I awoke suddenly; My heart beating uncontrollably.

The pounding in my head and the shortness of thine breath were all I had to know that I was still alive. The dream which left me shaking in fear? Strange to say the least. I was on a ship.. For reasons.. I will not understand.  But this ship was meant to be Our home.. Like a mansion, but afloat; traveling the seas. It felt as though I was a child roaming the halls.. playing on the steps.. But a nasty storm appeared. Waves crashed along the side of Our ship; The foaming white peaks pouring over on to the deck. Side to side our humble home did rock. The water levels were rising and no sooner did They start to panic. People were running; Screaming as if their lives were in danger. Where was I? Standing in a corridor watching the water absorb everything in its path. It was almost as if the salty liquid were a monster. A Monster with an endless hunger. Moments slipped by.. My clothes were soaking wet. It was up to my chest in what felt like seconds. A Tsunami revealed itself in the very hallway I was standing in. Its mighty force shoved me down and washed me away. I couldn't breathe. Bubbles of my life were slipping from my grasp. Was I drowning? Is this what it felt like? My body was frozen; No longer did I have any control. I felt as though I were a rag doll being tossed around. Slammed into a Grandfather clock, hurled over chairs, and head first into a solid oak door. It was at that very moment.. Everything went black. I awoke choking; Fighting for air. But with each gasping breath, I received nothing but bitter sorrow. I could taste the salt water filling my lungs. The anxiety I felt, can not be described. Was this the end? Was my nightmare finally over? Would I drown.. in my dream? No. As I felt my life slip past my fingers, the raging waters had begun to withdraw. Crawling back to the ocean of its home. Not a trace of the water was left. My lifeless body lay frozen upon the white marble. Cherry wood steps were unlike anything I had ever gazed upon. As I glanced around the room I was now in, It was as though my whole world was turned on its side. Yet I, remained in the same position as I had always been. I was confused. I was scared. Sea water was being flushed out of my lungs with each aching cough I let out. Can I wake up now? Will I wake? No. To my right, a figure did stay. Lurking in the shadows; calling out my name. It began reaching for me.. So I backed away; Still recuperating from the sudden storm. The Shadow-esque figure glided to my side in an instant. It wrapped its lanky arm around me and pulled me close. I closed my eyes in hopes that I would soon wake up. But that did not help. I felt the ground beneath us just vanish; leaving us to fall through god knows what. Slowly, I peel apart my eyelids to steal a look around. The figure had left me.. free falling. I was alone.. falling into the dark void. Would I wake before hitting the bottom? It wasn't like that. Not this time. I slammed into a rather small dimly lit room. Moss and vines were growing out of control. I recognized this room. There was a wooden walk way of arches. I suppose.. I could describe it more like a bridge.. with wooden panels on the over hang. There was only one way out of this room; To cross that bridge. Seems like a simple task.. But I've been here before. I know what happens next. One step onto the old, worn out wood and the show would begin. Thousands of snakes, frogs, lizards, spiders, scorpions, and insects would appear. But most of the time.. it was always snakes. The bridge took you straight for about 2 yards, then took you to the right. Take a couple of steps in that direction.. and there's a hallway to the left.. leading to.. I don't even know. I would hope it was the exit.. But I've never made it past the corner to the left. EVERY Time.. I make it to that corner.. Right before I see what's up ahead.. A snake wraps around my leg. Not just any snake.. But a poisonous one. A Coral snake to be exact. No.. it was not a Kingsnake or a Scarlette snake.. I've done the research. And every time.. The snake sniffs around.. Acting as if it's going to bite me. I freeze in fear; Terrified to move. As I do Every Time. The snake leans back, preparing to strike.. And that's when I finally wake.

© 2015 Kiwi Panda Vixen


Author's Note

Kiwi Panda Vixen
I have a problem. I don't dream.. and when I do; It's rare. It's also always a nightmare.
This is what woke me up first thing this morning.. Gasping for air.. Shaking..
I have no idea why it happens.. but it does.. What are your thoughts on this? How's the imagery? Can you relate to something similar?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh, boy. I once asked an unorthodox Christian minister about a recurring dream I had as a child and still can't forget. He told me that the dreamworld is the supernatural and recurring dreams and nightmares are the product of evil influence in that realm. He suggested Christian prayers for protection of oneself in dreams.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh, boy. I once asked an unorthodox Christian minister about a recurring dream I had as a child and still can't forget. He told me that the dreamworld is the supernatural and recurring dreams and nightmares are the product of evil influence in that realm. He suggested Christian prayers for protection of oneself in dreams.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
1 Review
Added on February 8, 2015
Last Updated on February 8, 2015

Author

Kiwi Panda Vixen
Kiwi Panda Vixen

Small town in the middle of no where., NC



About
I love poetry, and short stories. I am a welder. I'm different and unique. I'm random. I'm awesome! more..

Writing