Graduation Day – A Rite of Passage into Adulthood, or Childhood’s Funeral?

Graduation Day – A Rite of Passage into Adulthood, or Childhood’s Funeral?

A Story by Briana Noël Manzano
"

A vignette about the overwhelming noises, people, and feelings experienced on the day of high school graduation.

"

The room was too vast, too bright, too crowded. The cacophony of giggling, gabbing, gregarious voices had crawled, clawed, and crammed their way into my ears before I had even made my way halfway across the parking lot. I navigated through the mass of bodies with my eyes cast downward, only slightly deterred by the swaths of slick black material clinging to my legs. They congregated in packs, their faces smiling pink and brown blurs. They towered over me, these oblivious figures, like grim reapers tasseled and adorned with the golden nooses of their social contracts.  

Once I found my seat, I constantly checked my phone for the time. The minutes dragged by. The voices rolled over me in waves, mixing in with the tacky music played over fuzzy speakers. Oddball words nicked my ears and I closed my eyes to imagine what the seemingly disembodied voices were talking about. 

Sentimental sleepovers, wistful weekends, remembered forgotten jokes, malapropisms and mistaken misdemeanors from a million years ago. 28 remember-that-time's, 87 oh-my-god's, 13 I-haven't-seen-you-in-forever's, 45 promises to keep in touch. 

I opened my eyes to the sound of my name. I looked up to see familiar faces marred by masks of cosmetic creams. Words are exchanged, and I'm swept up into the maelstrom of mammal memories.  

 

© 2015 Briana Noël Manzano


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A exemplary piece that confirms the notion that it takes a skilled poet to really bring a piece of prose to life. This is brilliant! It really had it both ways (a happy and sad occasion; a rite of passage and a funeral), and "grim reapers tasselled and adorned".....beyond description, that line! Absolutely fantastic! Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I absolutely loved the way you described the simple act of hearing voices. Your way of describing things is amazing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana Noël Manzano

8 Years Ago

Thank you, I appreciate the review very much :)
I love it for it's vivid scenery.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Briana Noël Manzano

8 Years Ago

Thank you c:

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 17, 2015
Last Updated on November 17, 2015
Tags: Vignette, graduation, alliteration, reflection, short

Author

Briana Noël Manzano
Briana Noël Manzano

Lynchburg, VA



About
What's the point of putting on outerwear that you're just going to discardigan? more..

Writing