The heart breaks at missed opportunities

The heart breaks at missed opportunities

A Story by Constance Payne
"

This was written long ago, and published on another site, but touched me today when I came across it.

"
Yesterday my friend I stood in the back of a church of which I had never attended and listened to a man who I felt sounded like a mouse tell me how we needed to pray for your sins so that you might get into heaven. My heart broken more for his ignorance than for the loss of my friend. 
You daughter looks so much like you; her face is your face. Beautiful in your younger days; eyes so deep that no one can ever truly know that which she is thinking. 
Death takes us all; but you went so young. Thirty two is just to young, missing so much of what blessings an older life offers.
His voice annoying, making me know that he really has no clue.
I walk to the front when all are out of the church to see which picture they have chosen to represent you at your memorial service. 
You are Beautiful, they chose well.
I leave, thinking that I have not heard anything said about my friend; only a service about getting into heaven. You are already there. . .the service should have celebrated your life. . . .is that not what a Memorial is for?
My heart breaks as I remember things about our friendship that I will never again be blessed enough to experience. We had our ups and downs; our good and bad times that tested our friendship, yet when we would meet the smiles returned and the friendship remained.
I know that when it is my time to leave this world and be laid to rest I want for my loved ones to know that I am better off; living in a place of beauty and love. I want them to have a party, celebrating the reasons they loved me. Telling stories of my follies; sharing my secrets; loving me completely just because I am who I am and I touched their life in a special way.
I will miss you my friend. We shared a job and a boyfriend and a life and I am blessed by having had you become a part of my world.
May You Rest In Peace & May Your Family Remember Only That About You Which Makes Them Smile. . . . .

© 2013 Constance Payne


Author's Note

Constance Payne
This was written long ago, and published on another site, but touched me today when I came across it. Life has many twists and turns.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've had similar feelings during funerals and know that others have, too. While I believe in God, I have a low opinion of preachers. I think it was Gandhi that said, "I like your Christ. You're Christians are so unlike him."
Losing anyone close is tough, but one so young is especially hurtful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Constance Payne

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading. My opinion of Christians lowers each time one tells me I need saved. Gandhi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 19, 2013
Last Updated on April 19, 2013
Tags: life, death, friendship

Author

Constance Payne
Constance Payne

Saint James, MO



About
I am an Inspirational Photographer who desires to change her small part of the world. I aspire to inspire. I am a Master's Student in Community Counseling. I am who I am and that is all that I can .. more..

Writing