5 Word Practice ~ Title Not Included

5 Word Practice ~ Title Not Included

A Story by Constance Payne
"

taking 5 random words, write, write, and write some more.....

"

First Chapter

The new place was coming together quite well. The men would be coming in to start roofing Rita's Resort next week. The building was almost two weeks ahead of schedule and if Rita could keep Jake from interfering the 3R Ranch Resort would be opening on time with a stellar crowd. 
"Jake, why now" Rita wondered. She had not seen or heard from him in almost five years until all of a sudden he wanted to talk about what had happened. Rita was so over Jake, or so she told everyone who inquired. However, the truth was that she still loved him in some sick sort of way, still craved his touch, and still wanted the Jake Redmon she had met in college.
College was a hundred years ago. She had to force herself not to think about the loving kind man Jake had been in the early days of their relationship. Flowers, wine, picnics in the park; he had sang a beautiful serenade proposal of marriage. Rita smiled at the memory of the man she had once knew and loved with everything inside of her.
"Deep in thought are we" Rita jumped at the deep voice of her general manager Randy. "Sorry I scared you," Randy smiled. 
'How can he look so much like Jake' she wondered. "What's up Randy?" she inquired in a whimsical tone.
"Well," he began in that long Texas drawl that made her swoon, "We have hit a snag in the process." Rita's internal alarm began to scream but she tried to hold her emotions steady, 'what now' was all she could think. 
Randy continued, "There is a new inspector and he says he needs to examine what it going on, got told we were using sub-par materials and demands us to stop working until he can get out here.
"Jake" Rita growled. 
"No, I think he said his name was George. Who is Jake?"
"Jake is my ex-husband and he wants this place to fail, me to fail." Rita stated matter-of fact with a look of hurt on her face that Randy hated to see. The more she spoke the more her face reddened in anger. Randy could see the flash of love mixed in with that anger in her eyes. He suspected that were this Jake to be standing in front of her she would pick up the biggest 2 x 4 she could hold and bash him with it. Randy was glad that he was not Jake and started to say something but used better judgment, keeping his thoughts in his head
Suddenly Rita, seeing the look on Randy's face, realized that her hands were clenched, her face was tight, and her blood pressure was on the rise. Smiling she said "Breathe Rita Breathe, it is going to be okay." This brought a smile to Randy's face, "Let's go take a look at how the walls are coming as the crew is supposed to be here day after tomorrow to put the roof on. If that inspector wants to see the materials he best hurry cause I am stopping nothing." 
Randy and Rita started walking back toward the main building. "I will never be rid of Jake. He will cause trouble in my life for ever always pinching my freedom to grow as a woman and a business woman. He is still angry because the judge did not give him this farm. It has been in my family for a hundred years." 
Just as they reach the main house Rita stopped in her tracks, her face going quickly white and then just as quickly anger and love flashed in those beautiful blue eyes. Jake was leaning against the railing as if he owned the place. Randy was once again really glad that he was not Jake.

© 2014 Constance Payne


Author's Note

Constance Payne
as the story does not end here and there is more to come if my brain ever finds it I appreciate any and all comments and critiques.....learning is what i seem to be best at....or starting at least ~ if I could only learn to finish.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on July 25, 2014
Last Updated on July 25, 2014
Tags: practice, writing, random

Author

Constance Payne
Constance Payne

Saint James, MO



About
I am an Inspirational Photographer who desires to change her small part of the world. I aspire to inspire. I am a Master's Student in Community Counseling. I am who I am and that is all that I can .. more..

Writing