To Be a Ghost

To Be a Ghost

A Poem by Stephen Beneschan
"

How does it feel to be separate from the world?

"

To Be a Ghost

To be a ghost…

To be a unique, amorphous being, to be of no shape…

To never again be trapped within the thick prison of flesh and fat.

To fly freely, never confined within walls or one’s will…

To be the invisible, invincible observer, free to gaze at the galaxy without a hint of obstruction…

To watch as the world changes, as it grows and withers, as it shifts and transforms…

To be a member of the audience, with no fear of upsetting the events of the universe…

To never be the tough roar of hatred and violence nor the rude babble to annoy the irked.

To be merely a gentle whisper, protected by the voices of the living…

To never disrupt the lives of others, to be disconnected from their hardships…

To rest for all eternity…

And to never be able to awaken.

And to never share neither the joy nor the comfort of others.

And to be a silent cry drenched in the relentless uncaring screams of the living.

And to never be the cry of bravery and strength, nor the cheer of comfort to heal the wounded…

And to be isolated, with no power to improve or change the course of the universe.

And to watch as the world progresses and need not care about you or as it burns because you denied it any help.

And to be the weak, powerless spectator doomed to see destruction and despair and never dream of the possibility of seeing yourself a hero saving anybody from it.

And to know that you will never be warmed by the soil of the earth or warm the hearts of others.

To submit yourself to never again understanding the feelings of being a human.

But to be nothing.

To be a ghost…

© 2016 Stephen Beneschan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on April 10, 2016
Last Updated on April 10, 2016
Tags: Ghost, isolation, separation, rest, death, afterlife, dark, To be a Ghost