The List (Prelude)

The List (Prelude)

A Story by SuitedinPurple
"

Book I'm writing. Enjoy. Book will be coming out chapter by chapter. stay tuned.

"
Prelude:

                            "Questions"

As I sit here, shaking my head, lost in thought, I can only come up with reasons that lead to no answers.

Something I'm usually not okay with.
Even now, writing this, it feels a bit forced; reasoning behind that, is because I want to be vague.

Here's the thing, I know I'm at a prime; what kind? I couldn't tell you. 

Okay, let's start with me tell you a little about me. 
I'm just decent. Decent job, decent crowd of friends, decent car, decent at cooking. Specialty, you ask? Tasteless eggs, toast. No butter. Saves money. Heck even my bank account is, well, just decent. 

Regardless, I manage well. 

Spending most of my time in, what's basically an empty apartment. A bed, one TV, with the TV stand. A small little fold out table and a fold out chair. I did keep a bookshelf. Mostly things on western history or sociology. I even kept a few Chuck Palanik books. 

Well, at least, that's who I use to be. Couldn't be, bland anymore. Honestly, I couldnt even go back. 

It all started about 6 months ago. On the corner of Field st and elm was a location I call my "usual spot". A small dive bar. Karaoke on Tuesdays and very reliable on my choice of drink. The routine kept me sane for the most part but I knew that day, there was noticeable, difference in the room. 

None of the same faces where there. New bartender? None of these people even put mind to me walking in. I know they heard the door. It has no support when it closes, so it just slams shut. The sound of it kind of resembles a minor car accident.

Still, I walked up to the bar and posted up. Foot on low bar, elbow on high bar and soon a blue label to fit the image. I took a second to scan the room, it was strange to see so many diverse people at the Law tonight. Everything seemed to have lost its gleam as well. 

I turned to a woman who sat a seat over to me. At first glance, I thought she was intentionally trying to ignoring me but since the moment I walked in, I haven't conversed with a single person. I decided to signal the bartender over. Ready for that drink. Still, I don't really see him paying much attention, So, I decide to switch my attention back to the woman. 

I must say, she was attractive. All white blouse. leather fit pants. About a 4 inch, all white, with red bottom heels! She had Beautiful carmel skin, Silk long black hair. It's almost as if, she was there trying to meet with someone.

I approached her, chest out with confident walk? Check! I even checked my breath for good measure. 

As I was walking up to her, she quickly shot eyes then slowly got up to leave. Leaving money and, what looked like trash, on the top of the bar. Left quiet a bit of wine in her glass too. 

It's been about a whole 30 minutes since walking into this bar and I haven't gotten a drink yet. Look over to see the bartender wipping down the spot where that lady was sitting. I can see from where I was now sat, that he was clearly missing the piece of trash she left. 

I grabbed it and handed it to the guy but he just turned away as I got there. Ive grown sick of waiting at this point. 

I slammed my hand down to see if the bartender was give in to this ignoring scheme going on, instead, the entire area around me seemed to not care. With a toss up of the hands, I stormed out. 

Hey, in one hand, I saw it as saved money. 
Still some Normal thought left going on, and in the other hand; I just, realized I still have this crumbled paper.

Today couldn't have gotten any more weird, I stuffed the paper in my jacket pocket and headed home. 

I won't lie, the whole way home, I checked every corner and face. I couldn't get that woman out my mind. The night was designed to focus on her. I'm just glad to be home. 

© 2017 SuitedinPurple


Author's Note

SuitedinPurple
Please leave any words of advice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on July 6, 2017
Last Updated on July 6, 2017
Tags: horror, suspense, thriller

Author

SuitedinPurple
SuitedinPurple

bethel, CT



About
Books. Movie scripts. Music. Film and Photography. Always looking to work with people. more..

Writing