Lifeless Soul

Lifeless Soul

A Story by Tony Lawhorne
"

A short story about a lifeless soul. Written when I was 21 (1989).

"

Darkness surrounds a tiny form floating motionless.  Peaceful, serene, alone.  Alone for now.  Soon he will not.  He will be brought forth upon this earth as a child.  Out of the darkness and into the cruel, heartless light of humanity, unprepared.  For now, he is content living within a shell, waiting for what the future may hold.  A future he can only dream about.

Yet what wonderful dreams they are.  Dreams of a whole new world just waiting for him to explore.  A world filled with so much life…and love.  A love so strong it could conquer all obstacles, any barrier that may stand in its’ way.  Except death.  Death seems to consume all in its’ void and the only way out of the endless void is through the Almighty One that created all, even the void itself.  That is a love nothing can withstand.

          So much ahead; so much to dream.

Sleep.

          Suddenly, a light spread across the darkness and engulfed the form in its’ warmth.  The form stirred as the dreams slipped away as quickly as they had emerged.  Opening his eyes, the form gazed in awe into the light that surrounded him.  A presence could be felt everywhere.  He was not afraid.  The light was good.

          “Come with me little one.” A voice from within the light said softly.

          “Where are we going?”

          “Home.”

          “But why?  What is wrong?  I want to stay here.”  The form said through quivering lips.

          “Your time is not yet upon you.  This world is not meant for you.”

          “I don’t understand.  Why can I not live?  I want to see the tings I dream.  Experience love.”

          “We love you my son.  There will be another time for you to look upon all I have created for you.  That time is not here.”

          “Why?  What is wrong with the things I dream?”

          “Nothing is wrong but the time.  It is not yours.  There will be time for you soon, not now.  I am only doing what is best for you, my son.  I love you more than anyone can dream.  This is the way it was meant to be.  Come home to us.”

          As the form closed his eyes and gently lowered his head, the light lifted him up and softly carried him home.  Darkness, emptiness remained.

          Somewhere in the world, an expectant mother lost her child…and cried.

© 2012 Tony Lawhorne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on March 23, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2012
Tags: Emotional