Mach 1 Mercedes

Mach 1 Mercedes

A Story by Chez Funk
"

I have a young friend that lured me out for a drink one night. Little did I know that I was in for the ride of my life.

"

 

I get a call from one of my young women friends at midnight, after being in bed for ten minutes. She’s saying to come down and meet her. “I’m all alone and here at Mixers. Please come down here.”  For some reason, she sounded scared or something, so I thought I better go see what’s happening…

 

That was my first mistake.

 

There was a big crowd there, but it was Christmas night, so they were closing a little early. My friend says "lets go to Danny's-I'll drive!" So I got in the car. Mistake #2…

 

I've never been in an automobile with this woman, but I quickly find out she drives a Mercedes faster than the speed of sound.

 

Danny's was new to me, and was about 4 miles away. We got there in 2 minutes, 45 seconds. Having never been inside, I’m looking around, and then hear her order Cosmo’s, which I have no experience with either. Try this she says!

 

One taste and it’s obvious that she puts this stuff in her fuel tank as well. It was high grade rocket fuel. I begin to wonder how many of these some one could drink before getting a speech impediment. Fortunately, we had only one drink at Danny’s, as they were about to close too. Unfortunately, the damage was done.

 

 

We get back into the Mach-1 Mercedes. Mistake #3…

 

 I was sure that she wouldn’t go so fast on the way back. After all, it was two in the morning, and she had a couple of those drinks. Wrong! Not only are we streaking down the road, but she is toasted, and can't maintain a heading at all. Whoa Nellie! 

 

We were all over the road, riding the medians, and even wiped out a bunch of those plastic lane barriers they use to separate turn lanes. I'm sounding like PeeWee Herman, going Arhhhhhhh!

 

Curiously she was very good with the brakes, because we went from 100 MPH to zero in 1.1 seconds, holding short of the line at the biggest intersection in town.  Not even a squeal of the brakes. “You’re nuts!” I tell her. “We’re going to die- let me drive!” The light turns green. After a left turn on two wheels, we have only about a mile to go… Please let me wake up.

 

 

This was the scariest part. I began to wonder what they were going to say at my funeral.

 

Certainly by now, an alarm had sounded somewhere, summoning every policeman, and deputy in the county, to catch this obvious terrorist in the Mercedes. We would be lucky if they just didn’t start shooting at us.

 

Miraculously, she just hit one mailbox, and rode the median back to where we started. I dived out of the car, and was relieved to see her sober boyfriend waiting for her. Looking back, I see the side of her car is yellow from hitting the barriers, and the side view mirror is hanging. Oh well, her parents are rich. They’ll fix it.

 

Driving home at a mere 45 mph in my own car, I'm thinking I better have a long talk with her about this. She is heading for big trouble.

 

From now on, I will stop and think when the phone rings at midnight. I only have 8 lives left.

 

© 2008 Chez Funk


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my God! That's scary! One of my worst fears! I loved how you took, "That was my first mistake", and seperated it from the flow of the story to make it more of a point. Very nice!

Thanks for sharing a story with me! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Added on April 5, 2008

Author

Chez Funk
Chez Funk

Safety Harbor, FL



About
I ahve to come back to this after I re-read a story... more..

Writing
Permission Permission

A Poem by Chez Funk