Charles Babbage

Charles Babbage

A Story by Inaya Imtiyaz khan
"

Why was Charles Babbage nicknamed as "Father of the computer" while he was a mathematician?

"
Charles Babbage (Father of computing)

Designed and invented by Charles Babbage, the first mechanical computer known as the Difference Engine in 1820s which contained several columns, numbered from 1 to N. This was created to help with the calculation and working of the polynomial functions. Later, came up the analytical engine in 1837 which contained ALU (Arithmetic logic unit), basic flow control and integrated memory that can carry out any sort of calculations included some computer-based characteristics is known to be the first automatic digital computer. The difference engine differs from the analytical engine in a way that it can only carry out one mathematical operation which is the addition function while the analytical engine can perform up to 4 basic mathematical operations. Although, the analytical engine was never completed due to insufficient funding and conflicts, Charles Babbage was regarded as the father of computing as he was the first person to come up with the idea of a programmable computer during his study of machines that could perform calculations. 

© 2021 Inaya Imtiyaz khan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on August 31, 2021
Last Updated on August 31, 2021
Tags: mathematician, invenotor, engineer

Author

Inaya Imtiyaz khan
Inaya Imtiyaz khan

Dubai, United Arab Emirates



About
A first-year computer science student who has a passion for art and an interest in traveling :) 🐴 Horse rider 🖊️ Young times writer ♟️ Chess player more..




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5