Texas Summer Prose

Texas Summer Prose

A Poem by Esteban Luis Soto
"

Stream of thought prose on a hot, Texas summer evening.

"
The fire-ant pain was delayed. It writhed like vines up my leg, blooming with intensity at each second, yet somehow soothing. I rid them with one swipe of my foot on my pant leg, almost regretful for doing so.

I peered up to where the path lay, just beyond the gate, where the deer came to drink. "This pain, it's not so bad," I said to the wind, smirking. She caressed my cheek in response then slithered away along the dribbling creek, tickling leaves as she passed.

I listened behind, for the door's creak, for my lover to say, "Are you okay, my dear?" I'd only nod in response from afar yet, it never came. I stroked Ella's head and breathed deeply of all that was around me, wondering if the wind would return and kiss me again.

"I'll get out of your hair for a bit, okay?" I said, hoping she'd sense the pain behind my eyes. "Sure honey," she replied with nonchalance, her precious attention upon her favorite series. I left, in the waning heat of that day, to spend my time in the silent company of my kindred lonely.

© 2016 Esteban Luis Soto


Author's Note

Esteban Luis Soto
Comments gladly accepted.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Having lived in south Texas for several years, experiencing excruciating heat and fire ant bites, I easily inserted my self into the scene. Only a glimpse of a few moments in time, you do it with poetic flair.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Esteban Luis Soto

4 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 8, 2016
Last Updated on June 8, 2016
Tags: prose, poetry, loneliness

Author

Esteban Luis Soto
Esteban Luis Soto

Leander, TX



About
Award winning fiction writer and poet. Tequila aficionado and lover of all things that buck the norm. I prefer brilliantly written short stories to novels. more..

Writing