LANEY

LANEY

A Screenplay by Cristano Law
"

Mariel, a middle school teacher is about to get a real life lesson in love and war as she finds herself caught in a life or death battle for the truth of her lover's murder.

"

 

 

 

 

 


LANEY

 

FADE IN:

 

EXT. TARGET’S HOME   NIGHT                     

 

EVIL EYES watch a HUMAN TARGET, on phone, pacing through house.  A SNIPER applies a silencer, takes aim, follow Target’s movement.

 

Target stops, moves.  Sniper fingers trigger, steadies aim.  Target's conversation is more intense.

 

Sniper fingers trigger.  A hidden sniper SHOOTS, beats him to it.  GLASS SHATTERS, hidden sniper misses, as if on purpose, Target ducks away, unharmed.

 

First sniper searches for Target, sees nothing.

 

INT. TARGET’S HOME   NIGHT

 

Sniper crashes through window, races through house.  He searches every room, comes to bathroom, door closed.  Sniper shoots knob off, kicks door, finds Target cradled in tub.

 

Sniper takes aim, Target panting, sweating.  Sniper c***s gun, fingers trigger, and POP.

 

Sniper drops weapon, watches hand bleed, A MAN rushes, tackles.

 

TWO MEN hold down and cuff sniper, a third man helps Target to his feet.  He is CLAYTON DELANEY, or LANEY, bronze-skinned, handsome, and 40-ish, firm disposition yet a compassion person.

 

   TARGET

What is this all about?

 

   LANEY

You ever see the movie the Terminator? Well, you've been targeted for termination.

 

Men chuckle at his statement, Target still bewildered.  Laney drops smile.

 

   LANEY

This man works for a criminal organization.  You got in their way.

 

EXT. TARGET’S HOME   NIGHT

 

Cops arrive.

 

INT. TARGET’S HOME   NIGHT

 

Cops approach.  Men hand over sniper.

 

   TARGET

Thanks.  I don't know what to say.  You guys need anything?  Something to drink or--

 

Laney pats him on the back, heads out.

 

   LANEY

God bless, brother.

 

   TARGET

Yeah.  Same here.

 

Target follows them to shattered window, watches.

 

EXT. TARGET’S HOME   NIGHT

 

Target watch cars pull away.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   LATE NIGHT

 

Search through kitchen, living room, hallway, bathroom, to bedroom.

 

Find MARIEL, a private, harmless, school teacher, plain like a librarian, in her 30’s, snuggled in bed.

 

Alarm clock beside her bed reads 1:19 am.  Time speeds ahead, clock CHANGES rapidly, daylight gradually shines through.

 

Time slows to regular speed at 7:00 am, alarm BLARES.  Mariel rises out of bed, slumps pass frame.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   LATE NIGHT

 

LIVING ROOM

 

She enters fully dressed, struts to frig, pulls out donut, slams it shut, hurries out door.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - PARKING GARAGE   MORNING

 

She races to car.

 

EXT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - PARKING LOT   MORNING

 

She pulls into lot, zooms to space, speed walks with cluttered briefcase to entrance.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL   MORNING

 

Mariel enters, hallway, immediately bombarded by KIDS.

 

   MARIEL

Good morning.  You got five minutes pee wees.  Let’s go!  I’ll see ya when I need ta, or else.

 

Kids groan and scurry away to lockers.  Mariel continues on not missing a beat.

 

She turns down another hallway.  BUD, problem child, juvenile delinquent, puts an object in his locker and shuts it.  No sooner than he closes it, Mariel’s at his locker.

 

   MARIEL

Okay, bud.  Let’s see it.

 

   BUD

What?

 

   MARIEL

Really?  Are we doing this, this morning?

 

   Bud

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

 

   MARIEL

Open it!

 

He opens it.

   BUD

Man, it’s not mine, man.

 

Her eyes widen upon seeing a GUN.

 

   MARIEL

Oh, my... What?

 

   BUD

It’s not mine.

 

   MARIEL

Stand there.  Don’t move.  Someone get security, please.  Don’t move, Bud!

 

Mrs. Fields and another teacher accompany her.

 

   MRS. FIELDS

What’s the problem?

 

Mariel looks discerningly at Bud.

 

   BUD

It’s not mine, man.  That’s what I keep tellin’ you.

 

Security guard walks up.  Mariel holds gun like it’s a nasty insect.

 

   MARIEL

This needs to leave.

 

Guard looks at boy, grabs his neck and gun then drags him down hallway.

 

EXT. GARFIELD HEIGHTS - PARK   AFTERNOON

 

Mariel and Laney spend time together.

 

   MARIEL

You know they all talk about you.  I can tell the faculty thinks something’s going on between us.

 

   LANEY

And what bothers you about what they think?  We do what we want.  We’re two consenting--

 

   MARIEL

--It’s not that.  It’s... I mean, what is it about me that’s so... that you would spend your lunch break with me?

 

   LANEY

What, you don’t think you’re worth having a relationship with someone?  Why should they be any better?

 

   MARIEL

Well, why do you?

 

   LANEY

You’re all I get when I come around.  You don’t pretend for me.  You let me know that you are all there is.  I think I’m drawn to that.  You’re a real person, Mare.

 

   MARIEL

It’s just... It’s very uncomfortable how they stare at me.  And I know they talk.

 

   LANEY

Just keep being Mariel.  I think that’s what’s important... I’d like to do this again if that’s okay.

 

   MARIEL

The feeling is mutual.

 

They lock eyes.  In the distance a man walks into view.  Laney glances at him.  Mariel sees the faint eye contact of the two, fixes back on Laney.

 

   LANEY

I think my friend needs to see me about something.  Can I hold you too our mutual feeling?

 

   MARIEL

I think you can.  Don’t keep me waiting too long.

 

   LANEY

I’m not ever going anywhere, Mare.  You can count on that.

 

   MARIEL

Am I all that?

 

   LANEY

Does it matter what I think?

 

Mariel smirks.

 

   LANEY

I’ll see you later.

 

He kisses her forehead, walks away.  Mariel stands and watches as he meets friend, they head toward his car.

 

Laney gives her one last smile as they pull off.  Mariel stands fixated on Laney as they drive out of sight.

 

EXT. CARNIVAL - FOOD VENDING AREA   EVENING

 

Laney and Mariel lay back licking ice-cream cones, Laney’s arm around her.

 


   LANEY

 (jokingly)

So, how’s your life my lady?

 

   MARIEL

Oh, fine, my sir.

 

She chuckles.  She watches him eat his ice-cream and tips cone onto his nose.

 

He rubs his nose on her cheek, his nose meets her nose, they look into each other, shyly she turns away, licks her ice-cream.

 

EXT. CARNIVAL - MERRY-GO-ROUND   EVENING

 

They huddle up together.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S STREET   NIGHT

 

They stroll the block holding hands, approach her apartment complex.

 

   MARIEL

You’re gonna disappear again aren’t you?

 

   LANEY

I don’t wanna leave.

 

   MARIEL

Well, why do you?

 

He approaches her, kisses forehead, pulls away, she pulls him close.  They meet eyes, drift into a kiss, and embrace.

 

   MARIEL

I miss you already and you’re not even gone, yet.

 

   LANEY

You’re not making it easy for me, either.

 

   MARIEL

So, don’t go.

 

   LANEY

Mare.

 

She releases her grip on him.

 

   MARIEL

Okay.  Okay.

 

   LANEY

You don’t feel uneasy anymore?

 

   MARIEL

I don’t care what they think.

 

   LANEY

Good.  I don’t either.

 

Laney backs away slowly.  Mariel watches him leave again.  He walks off into the night.  She stays on him until he’s gone.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - TEACHER’S LOUNGE   MORNING

 

Women are engaged in idle chit chat.

 

   VAL

Well, you made a move on big poppa, yet?

 

   CINDY

Me?  Why me?

 

   VAL

The way you all talk about him.  I figured you must’ve--

 

   CINDY

--I don’t talk about him.

 

   CORA

Yeah.  You just feed the conversation through us, you wimp.

 

   CINDY

Whatever.  What does it matter anyway?  I think he’s into plain Jane or whatever.

 

   CORA

Yeah.  She’s been pushin’ up on him lately.

 

   VAL

What do you mean pushin’ up?  It ain’t like she got skills or what not.

 

   CINDY

Yeah well, I’ve seen them huddled up together gettin’ real cozy.

 


   VAL

 (sarcastic)

Oh, really?  And how would you know, you ain’t into him?

 

   CINDY

Whatever.

 

Mariel walks in, pours coffee.

 

   MARIEL

Good mornin’.

 

   TEACHERS

Good mornin’.

 

Mariel stirs coffee, strolls room, teachers snicker, Mariel sips, circles to door, exits.  Teachers chuckle.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - HALLWAY   NOON

 

Laney enters, heads toward frame without pause.  Teachers, especially women, greet him as he walks by.

 

   TEACHER ONE

Hello, Laney.

 

   LANEY

Hey.

 

   TEACHER TWO

Where have you been, Laney?

 

   LANEY

You name it.

 

   TEACHER THREE

Hi, Laney.

 

He non-verbally acknowledges.

 

CINDY steps in front of him.

 

   CINDY

I got that thing you been hounding me for.

 

   LANEY

Hounding you?  Do I bother you?  Is that what you’re saying?

 

She smirks, flattered.  Her smile becomes a frown when he fixates on Mariel who stands at a locker.

 

She watches Laney like a school girl in love.  Cindy looks on from distance.

 

He looms over her.  She peeks up at him.

 

   LANEY

Hi.

 

   MARIEL

Hi.

 

INT. RICHMOND HEIGHTS MOVIE THEATER - LOBBY   EVENING

 

Two goons sit against a Scarface movie poster as patrons enter theater.

 

   GOON ONE

So, what do ya think?

 

   GOON TWO

It’s gotta be done soon.  This can’t linger.  He’s not a big deal, yet, if we do it now, the better.

 

Laney and Mariel enter huddled together, they wait their turn.  Goons watch.

 

   GOON ONE

Okay, but, how?

 

   GOON TWO

We pick a bad neighborhood.  One he’s bound to appear.  We lure.  We ambush.  We break, done deal.

 

   GOON ONE

Simple enough.

 

Laney and Mariel approach box office.

 

   LANEY

Uh, two for the 9 o’clock.

 

   MARIEL

And popcorn with lots of butter... and raisinets... and some goobers.

 

Laney looks at her, puzzled.

 

   MARIEL

I know you like them.

 

Hinged together they meander to movie.

 

INT. RICHMOND HEIGHTS MOVIE THEATER - THEATER ONE   EVENING

 

Mariel eats popcorn, feeding Laney a few kernels.  Goons sit behind them.

 

EXT. GARFIELD HEIGHTS - PARK   MORNING

 

School field trip.

 

   VAL

So, Mr.--

 

   LANEY

--Uh, just, Laney.  You know better than that.

 

   VAL

Right.  So, how’s life?

 

   LANEY

Life?  How’s my life?

 

   VAL

Yeah.  Well, we don’t see you much.  I mean I know you’re part time here but we hardly see you when you’re here.  I was just wondering.  Well, the staff.  You know, faculty.

 

   LANEY

Well, my life is fine.  I can’t complain.  How about you?  How’s your life?

 

He smiles.

 

   VAL

Lovely.  I can’t complain.

 

   LANEY

That’s sweet.

 

   CORA

Hey, Laney.

 

She hugs him, sneaks in a kiss.

 

   CORA

How are you?

 

   LANEY

Oh, you too?  You guys are too into me.

 

They laugh, catches Mariel’s attention.  Cora embraces him, catches Mariel’s eye then she embraces even more.

 

   CINDY

Laney?  When’d you show up?  You are like Houdini.

 

   LANEY

I’m a magician, huh?  I’m magical?

 

   CORA

Quite magical indeed.

 

The two teachers on either side embrace him, Mariel looks on.

 

   LANEY

It’s a pleasure to see you all.

 

He heads over to Mariel’s squad.

 

   VAL

Yeah.  You better get back to your squad.

 

   CINDY

 (to Val)

You see her?

 

   CORA

What does he see in her?

 

   CINDY

What do you care?

 

   CORA

Oh.  I’m sorry.  You love him too.  Well, I’ll just back off.

 

   CINDY

Shut up!

 

Laney approaches Mariel, she looks over at teachers, peeved, focus back on Laney.  He looms over her.

 

They look at each other.  He forces a smile out of her.

 

   MARIEL

They make me so mad.  I know what they’re trying to do.  And you’re so friendly with them and you fuel the fire.

 

   LANEY

Now, there you go again.

 

He embraces her.

 

   STUDENT

Ms. Kay?

 

She follows student.

 

   MARIEL

I’m off.  I guess.

 

Laney sees Helper in distance, sighs, walks to him, Mariel witnesses, again.

 

Laney and Helper converses inaudibly.  Laney catches Mariel’s eyes.

 

Mariel irritated, Laney gives her a helpless look, waves, blows a kiss.  She looks on.

 

INT. YOUR’S TRULY RESTAURANT - BOOTH   AFTERNOON

 

Helper stuffs himself.  Laney casually checks out scene scooping his food occasionally.

 

   HELPER

So, what do you think?  Can we?

 

   LANEY

It’s been done before.  I don’t know.  We gotta.

 

   HELPER

Yeah.  A lotta people are gonna feel this.

 

   LANEY

Not the wrong people, I hope.

 

   HELPER

Well, I’d feel it.  You’re a hell of a guy, Laney.

 

   LANEY

It’s all because of you, friend.  You’re quite a piece of work yourself.

 

They toast.

 


   LANEY

Here’s to new life.

 

   HELPER

New life.

 

INT. COUNTRY LANE APARTMENTS - LANEY’S PLACE -   NIGHT

 

BEDROOM

 

Mariel lies on Laney’s sternum, fiddles with bed spread.

 

   MARIEL

So, where do you go when you leave?  Just curious.

 

   LANEY

You can ask me.  It won’t offend me.

 

   MARIEL

Nothing seems to bother you.

 

   LANEY

You of all people can know anything about me.  All you have to do is ask.  I don’t want to keep anything a secret from you.

 

They role-play, again.

 

   MARIEL

So what do you do, sir?

 

   LANEY

Well, madam.  I get together with the boys and play... detective.

 

Mariel looks confused.

 

   MARIEL

Hm.

 

   LANEY

What’s that?

 

   MARIEL

Seriously?

 

   LANEY

Seriously.  We are sorta detectives.  We are kind of like counter intelligence.  Sometimes we help and sometimes we don’t.

 

   MARIEL

So, you... Hm.

 

   LANEY

Now, what’s that?

 

   MARIEL

I mean.  Well, if it were anybody else telling me what you just said, I would never believe that--

 

   LANEY

--It all works out because--

 

   MARIEL

--You’re you.  You’re so lucky.

 

   LANEY

Lucky to be me.

 

   MARIEL

Lucky to be you.

 

They kiss.

 

   LANEY

Damn good to be lucky.

 

   MARIEL

Uh-huh.

 

They share another kiss.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - HISTORY CLASSROOM   DAY

 

A film projector SPUTTERS out a propaganda film, Mariel coasts through each aisle, approaches a desk, taps sleeping boy.

 

Continues to next aisle, catch artist drawing inappropriate pictures, boy reluctantly relinquishes it.  Girl’s gossip gets louder.

 

   MARIEL

Brianna.  Zip it!  I hope you took good notes class.  There will be a quiz on this.

 

Film FLAPS around reel, class sigh in relief.

 

   MARIEL

Okay.  You will read the next chapter and study what we covered today as well as your notes on this video.  Pop quiz, pop quiz, pop quiz.

 

Bell RINGS, students thrust out their seats.

 

   LAWRENCE

Ms. Kay?

 

   MARIEL

Yes, Lawrence.  What can I do you for?

 

   LAWRENCE

Tell me what you think of this.

 

He unfolds paper.

 

   LAWRENCE

As white as fresh snow as it rests upon itself, like gold angelic figurines which glows before me, as I stand in shame of myself, I gaze up at your glory.  Your presence is a gift to me.  Because of all this I take to thee.  Will you sing to me?  I will never forget your beauty.  If only you'd stay with me.  Just bare me.  Once.  Twice.  I will surely pay the price.  You, my sweet, are something nice.

 

   MARIEL

Well.  That was beautiful.  Where did this come from?  Who might I ask is the inspiration for this sensation?

 

   LAWRENCE

You.

 

   MARIEL

Oh.  Oh!

 

   LAWRENCE

I'm not doing anything this evening.  Would you be interested in spending it with me?  I'll take you anywhere you wanna go.

 

   MARIEL

 (smirks)

Lawrence,  I’m charmed... by your wonderful poem.  That’s not gonna happen.  I'd like it very much if you'd keep our relationship strictly teacher-student.  And give some worthy girl your heart.

 

   LAWRENCE

There is no other girl more worthy than you Ms. Kay.

 

A GIRL snickers.

 

   LAWRENCE

Shut up!

 

   GIRL

Who you talkin' too?  Hurry up I gotta talk to Ms. K.

 (mocks him)

I mean, my lovely.

 

   MARIEL

Okay, that's enough.  Lawrence.  I think we're way out of our boundaries here.  I'll see you next class time.  Okay.

 

Lawrence drags himself out.

 

   MARIEL

Okay, what can I--

 

   GIRL

--I don't know what I wanna do for my project.

 

   MARIEL

Well, let's see.

 

She reads from list of possibilities.

 

   MARIEL

There's the gun.  The H-bomb.  The death penalty.  The--

 

   GIRL

--I know.  I just don't want to do it on something simple.  I want something different and unique.

 

   MARIEL

Well, listen.  We have the rest of the school year to worry about this.  You have more important worries like how you’re gonna spend your weekend.  Don't worry.  But get ready for that quiz.  Stay out of trouble, all that fun stuff.

 

   GIRL

Okay.  See ya Monday.

 

   MARIEL

Indeed.

 

She fumbles with paperwork. 

 

   HELPER

Hi.

 

She’s startled by the voice.

 

 

   MARIEL

What can I do you for?

 

   HELPER

I apologize.  I was wondering if you knew where Laney might be hiding.

 

   MARIEL

I haven't seen him.  And you are?

 

   HELPER

Just a friend.  I just needed to talk with him.  Will you be seeing him soon?  Or--

 

   MARIEL

--Maybe.  It's hard to say.  He's so busy.  I hardly know much about him or what he does away from school grounds.

 

   HELPER

How long have you known him?  If you don't mind--

 

   MARIEL

--Well, actually I do.  I don't really know you--

 

   HELPER

--Right.  You are right.  I’m prying.  I apologize.

 

 (prying for her name)

Miss?

 

   MARIEL

It's Ms. Kay.

 

   HELPER

Oops.  There I go again.  I'll leave you be Ms... Kay.  I’m Mr. H.  If you see Laney, tell him I came by.

 

   MARIEL

Sure.

 

She shuffles paperwork, gathers her things.  Looks up, Helper vanishes.

 

EXT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - PARKING LOT   DAY

 

Mariel crosses to car.

 

   STUDENT ONE

Goodbye Ms. Kay.

 

   STUDENT TWO

Bye.  Have a nice weekend.

 

   MARIEL

Bye girls.  Be good.  And come back.  I miss you already.

 

   STUDENTS

 (joking)

Sure.

 

   STUDENT THREE

Hey, Ms. Kay, did Lawrence give you a goodbye kiss?

 

   MARIEL

Very funny, goodbye, leave the premises before I whip up some homework for you.

 

   STUDENT THREE

But, I'm not in your class Ms. Lawrence, I mean Kay.

 

   MARIEL

Ha-ha.  It doesn't matter I'm a teacher.  And stop embarrassing your friend, it's Ms. Kay.

 

   STUDENT THREE

Sorry.  Bye, Ms. Kay.

 

Mariel continues to car.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   NIGHT

 

KITCHEN

 

Mariel carries dishes to sink, returns to living room to entertain her guest, Laney.

 

   LANEY

You are so good to me, Mare.

 

   MARIEL

Why shouldn't I be?

 

   LANEY

You know, sometimes, I wonder what else you have to offer life than just--

 

   MARIEL

--Than just what?  What should I be doing besides what I do?

 

   LANEY

It's not about either or.  I was just looking at the scope of human life, our overall purpose.  A human's worth.  A woman's worth.

 

She looks confused.

 

   MARIEL

You mean besides just a vocation.

 

   LANEY

Getting out of one's comfort zone.

 

   MARIEL

You sound like a life coach.

 

   LANEY

What would you like me to be?

 

Their faces get closer.  Mariel shies away.  Laney gently turns her toward him, they kiss.

 

   LANEY

I have plans later this week.  I want you to be a part of them.

 

   MARIEL

What plans?

 

   LANEY

Well, it's not really a thing I have to do.  I just would like you to be... I mean, that is if you'd like to--

 

   MARIEL

--Well, I guess if your plans include me, I could make accommodations.

 

   LANEY

Any accommodations you can make will be greatly appreciated.

 

   MARIEL

Sure.  When?

 

   Laney

I will let you know.  Don't disappear on me.

 

   Mariel

Look whose talking, Mr. Mystery guest.  Oh.  That reminds me.  Someone was looking for you.  He said his name was... um, H?  Mr. H.  I think he was making fun of me.  Talk about mysterious.

 

   Laney

I'm going to meet him right after I leave here.

 

   MARIEL

You two known each other long?

 

   LANEY

So long we're like blood relatives.  He's a good guy.

 

Laney heads out.

 

   LANEY

I'll reintroduce you two.  You'll like him.  He's the kind of guy you have to grow to love.

 

   MARIEL

I thought he was a good guy.

 

   LANEY

You just have to meet him.

 

   MARIEL

I already have.

 

   LANEY

Very funny, pea.

 

   MARIEL

Well, I hope you have a pleasant evening.  And I look forward to--

 

Laney quickly and gently kisses her forehead.

 


   LANEY

--So, do I.  Stay out of trouble.

 

   MARIEL

Sure thing.

 

She watches him until he’s out of sight.

 

Heads to kitchen, notices briefcase, gathers her things, snatches briefcase, races out.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - HALLWAY   NIGHT

 

She dials, no connection.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - PARKING GARAGE   NIGHT

 

Laney pulls out.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - STAIRWELL   NIGHT

 

Mariel races to garage.

 

EXT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

Laney turns onto street.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

She storms outside.

 

EXT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

She searches, no Laney, returns to garage.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - GARAGE   NIGHT

 

She hurries to car, skids out garage.

 

EXT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

She pulls onto street, dials phone, and connects.

 

EXT. STREET   NIGHT

 

She swerves into lane.

 

   MARIEL

Laney.  I tried to catch you before you left.  I've got your briefcase.

 

   LANEY

Hang on.  I can't... I didn't... Mare?

 

   MARIEL

I see you.  I'm coming to you.  Hello?  Laney?  Hello?

 

Call ends.

 

She turns onto a street, sees Laney’s car. A mysterious car slowly approaches his car.  Goons in an alley pull up to street, attach silencers, and wait.

 

A fifth car pulls into an adjacent alley, Laney’s men.

 

Mystery car stops.  Two men push out of car, race over, snatch Laney out of his car.

 

Goons glance at each other.

 

Mariel watches as Laney is ambushed, stomped, and beaten to a bloody pulp.  Before she reacts, POP!  Laney falls limp.

 

Mariel accidentally hits her horn.  Goons and Laney’s men lock eyes with her.  She speeds off, both cars follow.  Mystery car disappears.

 

They race through traffic.  She hurries to apartment, jams into garage, cars approach.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - GARAGE   NIGHT

 

She races for her space, calls police, no connection, stammers to stairwell, leaving briefcase.

 

EXT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

Two cars zoom to apartment.  Laney’s men race to front door.  One man paces toward rear entrance just missing Goons as they race to rear entrance door, shoot door knob off and enter.

 

Man makes it over to Mariel’s car and retrieves Laney’s briefcase.  The man leaves site.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMETS - STAIRWELL   NIGHT

 

Mariel sprints up stairs.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMETS - Goon’s Stairwell   NIGHT

 

Goons race up stairs, catch a blur of Mariel. 

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMETS - THIRD STAIRWELL   NIGHT

 

Laney’s men trot up stairs, spot goons, and pursue.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - THIRD FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Mariel races to her door, struggle with keys, inserts, turns, twists, pour herself inside.  Goons race to door.  Laney’s guys approach.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   NIGHT

 

LIVING ROOM

 

She locks door, closes all windows.  Goons BANG and KICK in.  She hides behind couch.  Goon scans area, heads to bedroom. 

 

She attempts to leave but three men wait outside.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - HALLWAY   NIGHT

 

Gunfire BLASTS between Laney’s men and Goons.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   NIGHT

 

LIVING ROOM

 

Gunfire continues o.s.  Goon returns from bedroom to assist his men, killed instantly.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - HALLWAY   NIGHT

 

A goon enters Mariel's living room, scans.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   NIGHT

 

LIVING ROOM

 

Mariel whimpers, goon shoots up living room, takes aim, shoots up couch, Mariel quivers.  Goon c***s gun, a bullet DRILLS him.

 

Goon drops, injured man responsible crawls to living room, struggles to his feet, searches.  He focuses on couch, leaves.

 

Mariel sneaks over to phone, dials.

 


   MARIEL

Hello.  There's been a murder.  More than one, actually.  3630 Strathavon Avenue, Apt. 5B as in boy.  I am alone.  Please hurry... I don't know...

 

Mariel drops receiver as dispatcher continues, moves to doorway, sees bloody mess in hallway, catches a glimpse of her wounded savior stumbling downstairs, she relaxes at door.

 

A gunshot startles her into panic mode.  Her eyes glued to Goon.

 

He aims and blasts a gaping hole in doorframe, just missing her.  She falls away from blast and stumbles over a dead body, darts to intersecting hallway.

 

More goons come, another shot blasts, She stumbles, goons chase.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

STAIRWELL

 

She storms down stairs, slams into tenant, race for exit.  She hears a distant gunshot, maybe they got the tenant.

 

EXT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS   NIGHT

 

Mariel trots down street and into an alley, a figure approaches from shadows, extends a hand to her.

 

She hesitates.  He motions her his way, she sees his gun, and flees.

 

Mariel stammers out of alley down another street, peeks back, another figure speeds toward her, raises his gun, shoots and misses.

 

He steadies his aim, Mariel sees, screams, HEADLIGHTS SHINE on her, it’s a police car.  Mariel stops short, looks back, no assailant.  Cop approaches from gleam of lights.

 

EXT. HOSPITAL   NIGHT

 

Squad car arrives at emergency entrance.

 

INT. HOSPITAL   NIGHT

 

Officer walks to desk.

 

   Officer

I need someone.

 

INT. HOSPITAL   NIGHT

 

Mariel lay on a bed, sedated, and mumbling.  Officer tries to communicate.  Nurse interrupts him pushing her to room.

 

   NURSE

I appreciate your concern, but she needs rest.  She's not gonna be much help to you.

 

   OFFICER

Right.  I'll check back.

 

INT. HOSPITAL - ROOM   MORNING

 

Mariel awakens, searches room, finds officer.

 

   OFFICER

Good morning.  Your food'll be in shortly.

 

   MARIEL

Did you find him?

 

   OFFICER

Find who?

 

   MARIEL

The man chasing me.  Any of the men shooting at me.  They shot up my place.  They tried to kill me.

 

   OFFICER

We got a prank call.  We checked your place.  There was nothing there.  No signs of a struggle.  No blood.  Nothing.  We found you running frantically about the streets.

 

   MARIEL

What?!  You've been to my apartment?  You didn't see the dead bodies there?

 

Officer shakes his head.  Mariel rises, goes for her clothes.

 

   OFFICER

Miss?  What were you doing out last night running about?

 

   MARIEL

I already told you.  I was being attacked... and Laney...

 

   OFFICER

Who?

 

   MARIEL

The guys who tried to kill me, they... they killed Laney!  Laney is dead!

 

   OFFICER

Laney is dead.  Was he one of the guys trying to kill you?

 

   MARIEL

They killed him.  I can't believe you didn't see any of the bodies.  They were lying right outside my door.

 

   OFFICER

I don't think it's a good idea to leave--

 

   MARIEL

--I don't care.  I don't... know...

 

   OFFICER

Nurse.  Nurse.  How long before the doctor comes?

 

   MARIEL

It doesn't matter I'm leaving.  I don't care what the doctor says.

 

   NURSE

Well, do you feel okay?  You were in bad shape last night.  And you look it today.

 

   MARIEL

I'm sorry.  I'm gonna go.  I'll be alright.

 

   NURSE

Well, okay.  But, you must sign some release papers.

 

   MARIEL

Okay.  Please hurry.  I need to get outta here.

 

   OFFICER

We must talk about--

 

   MARIEL

--What's there to talk about?  I tried to tell you what happened.  You obviously don't believe me.  What else could I tell you?

 

   OFFICER

We could go to the station and look at some mug shots.  And this Laney had nothing to do with the attempt on your life?

 

   MARIEL

No!

 

   OFFICER

People we trust do crazy things, sometimes.

 

   MARIEL

Not Laney.

 

   OFFICER

Well, come down to the station and we can try to straighten this thing out.

 

She hesitates, nods.

 

INT. POLICE STATION - INTERROGATION ROOM   MORNING

 

Mariel browses through suspect album.  The officer watches over her shoulder, wanders out.

 

INT. POLICE STATION - FRONT DESK   MORNING

 

Officer shows clerk a document.  She takes him to a room.

 

INT. POLICE STATION - INFORMATION CENTER   MORNING

 

They trace records on a Clayton Delaney.  He gives them information, searches, no records found.

 

INT. POLICE STATION - INTERROGATION ROOM   MORNING

 

Mariel continues browsing photos.

 

   OFFICER

Any luck yet?

 

   MARIEL

I don’t recognize any of these.

 

   Officer

Yeah.  Just like there’s no Laney--

 


   MARIEL

--The guys I saw were well dressed... What?

 

   OFFICER

No Clayton Delaney exists in any record anywhere in this town or anywhere else.  None that match your description.

 

Mariel looks confused.

 

   OFFICER

Are you sure you’re not just--

 

   MARIEL

--I told you everything I know.  I... I... I don’t understand.  Are you sure you’re looking for the right man?

 

   OFFICER

I searched using the name you gave me.  The work place and history turns up nothing.

 

   MARIEL

I work where he works.  Everybody knows Laney.  I can take you where he works.  I’m not making this up.  I work there, too.

 

   OFFICER

Okay.  Okay.  Calm down.

 

He thinks.

 

   OFFICER

Okay.  Let’s... Let’s go.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - BREAK ROOM   MORNING

 

Mariel sits semi circle with other staff members who don’t seem to want to be there. 

 

   OFFICER

Okay.  So, basically none of you have any records or knowledge of a Laney?

 

Staff shakes their heads.

 

   MARIEL

What is this?  Why are you all doing this?

 

   OFFICER

Mariel?

 

   MARIEL

 (to Principal Dixon)

Mr. Dixon?  You had a--

 

   OFFICER

--Mariel!  There’s no need in wasting anyone’s time. 

                      (to Principal Dixon)

I apologize.  I had to be sure.  Mariel was sure that she experienced--

 

   PRINCIPAL DIXON

--Can we go now?

 

   OFFICER

Yes.

 

Staff empty room.

 

   MARIEL

But... Gladys.  Mary.  This is insane.

 

   OFFICER

Enough, Mariel, I have had enough.  I have other things to do.  Now, I suggest you go home and rest.  Whatever you’ve experienced, it has all passed now.  Just go home, Mariel.

 

Mariel looks defeated. 

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - HALLWAY   MORNING

 

She gets stares.

 

INT. PATROL CAR - ROAD   MORNING

 

Officer checks back as if analyzing her state.

 

   OFFICER

Mariel, it’s gonna be alright.  You’ll see.  Just, try and relax yourself, rest.  When you’ve had time to recuperate you’ll feel better... You know, I know some good doctors you can talk to.  They will take care of you.  It won’t cost you a thing.

 

EXT. RANDAL PARK APARTMENTS   DAY

 

They pull up to front entrance.  She scans the area.  No signs of a break in, a tussle, or blood.

 

   OFFICER

Just think about what I said okay, Mariel.

 

He hands her a card.  Mariel gives a look of rejection.

 

   MARIEL

Just let me out, please.

 

Officer opens door, she makes her way to apartment.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - STAIRWELL   DAY

 

Mariel enters, scans, no blood stains, no bullet holes, no broken door hinges or glass, nothing out of place.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMETS - THIRD FLOOR   DAY

 

She heads toward apartment, still searching, no dead bodies, no police tape, no broken door, nothing.  She turns key, pushes door to a crevice.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   DAY

 

She enters.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   DAY

 

LIVING ROOM

 

She scans area, takes caution, no bullet holes.  She runs to bedroom.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   DAY

 

BEDROOM

 

She searches, races to front door.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   DAY

 

LIVING ROOM

 

She locks and blocks door. 

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   DAY

 

BEDROOM

 

Mariel flops onto bed, weeps.

 

EXT. RAMADA HOTEL   NIGHT

 

A rally gathers.  Officers ensure peace.  A SPEAKER steps up to a podium.

 

   SPEAKER

Ladies and gentlemen, No one has made such an impact on the fight against human trafficking like the guest speaking tonight.

 

The crowd applauds and cheers.

 

   SPEAKER

No one has been through as much of a fight not only amidst the war against human trafficking but as a victim herself.  Ladies and gentlemen--

 

The crowd ROARS with excitement.

 

   Speaker

--Melanie Green!

 

Crowd EXPLODES.

 

   MELANIE

Thank you for your wonderful support, putting your names and titles on the line for this struggle for the protection and rights of young victims and would be victims of a renewed form of slavery.  I have in my hand a list of the survivors and rescued women, girls, humans whom you have helped to gain freedom and safety from those who profited much from human trafficking.

 

Her speech becomes less distinct as two men a few stories above loom from window of hotel.

 

INT. RAMADA HOTEL - ROOM   NIGHT

 

Two formally dressed MEN converse.

 

   MAN ONE

She’s quite a piece of work.

 

   MAN TWO

Yes she is.  Make sure she’s got everything she needs and that she’s satisfied.

 

INT. RAMADA HOTEL - ROOM   LATER

 

Melanie and guest enter the huge hotel room.  Man greets and escorts them to a small banquet room.

 

   MELANIE

Thank you very much.  Well, what have we done besides piss a few bureaucrats off to deserve such service?  I mean this isn’t hotel service.

 

   MAN TWO

No.  A few of us bureaucrats would like to show our appreciation personally.

 

Man leaves banquet area.  Melanie and her guest eat.

 

   MELANIE

Mmm, this is good.

 

Man returns, slips out gun, POP!  Guest takes a bullet.  Melanie looks at gunman in horror before, POP!  The two advocates slide like Jell-O to floor.

 

Gunman takes her files, folders, money, and takes a bite of food before walking out.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S HOME - DINING ROOM   NIGHT

 

Mariel eats with her parents.

 

   MOM

You know we’ve always wanted you back home with us.

 

   MARIEL

Mom I’m not moving back in.

 

   DAD

What the hell are the cops doing about it?!

 

   MARIEL

Useless.  They can’t help if nothing’s wrong.  Weird.  Who would go through all the trouble to clean up... and so fast?

 

   MOM

It couldn’t hurt to be around people you love.

 

   MARIEL

Mom... I’m okay.

 

   DAD

Okay?  After what you’ve been through?  You’re not okay.

 

   MARIEL

 (teary eyed)

They shot him!

 

   DAD

And the police serve no purpose.

 

   MOM

Tell us again what happened.

 

   MARIEL

I went to give Laney his briefcase... The briefcase!

 

     She searches with her eyes.

 

                              MARIEL

They took it...  I pulled up to his car.  Then, two men walked up to his car, pulled him out... and...

 

She breaks down, parents console her.

 

   MOM

Mariel.  Just come back home.

 

   MARIEL

Mom.

 

   DAD

Cops can’t protect ya.  It’s crazy.  You’re staying!

 

   MARIEL

Dad, I’m not staying.  I’m fine.

 

INT. OLD INDUSTRIAL FACTORY - INCINERATOR ROOM   NIGHT

 

In background two goons throw furniture, carpet, and a door into fire.  More furniture lay to side of incinerator.

 

Two more goons meet in foreground, walk and talk.

 

   GOON ONE

Not a trace of evidence?

 

   GOON TWO

No.  Not one.  The police don’t believe a word she says.

 


   GOON ONE

Go take care of her.  Any word on who killed Laney?

 

   GOON TWO

No.  We assume he pissed off someone... maybe, some religious fanatics.

 

   GOON ONE

Well, find out who they are.

 

   GOON TWO

Not that we’re mad at them.

 

They chuckle.

 

   GOON ONE

It took us a lot of careful planning and timing to pull that off.  Well, our hands are clean.

 

   GOON TWO

 (jokes)

Well, so to speak.

 

They laugh.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   DAY

 

Mariel cleans her home.  Phone RINGS, machine picks up.

 

   VOICE

We need to talk... Mariel... This is about Laney.  He was a friend.  I realize what you must be going through with everything that’s happened.  I wanna protect you.  I know it’s hard for you to trust anyone.  We can help you.  Anyway... Hey look it’s your life.  We’ll be in touch.

 

EXT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - GARAGE   MORNING

 

Mariel pulls out, heads to work.  Laney’s assistants follow her, searching for goons.

 

EXT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - PARKING LOT   MORNING

 

They pull in.  Eyes follow her as she struts to main entrance.

 

   HELPER

You’d better go in.  Make sure she’s--

 

   AID

--Right.

 

   HELPER

We gotta get her trust.  It’ll be easier.

 

   AID

Or convert her.

 

   HELPER

You think she can hang?  Naw, she’s fragile.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - HISTORY CLASSROOM   MORNING

 

No students, Mariel shuffle through paperwork, peaks out window.

 

EXT. A HOUSE   NIGHT

 

Helper and aids watch a GANG OF THUGS harass a BUSINESS MAN.

 

   AID

Now?

 

   HELPER

Later, I wanna see how far these cowards go.  Let’s see if he caves.

 

INT. A HOUSE   NIGHT

 

Thug slaps Business man to floor, grabs him by collar.  Business man looks over at his scared WIFE, thugs stare her down.

 

   LEAD THUG

Keep your protesting nose outta my business!  It’s self righteous n****s like you that turns my stomach.

 

   THUG ONE

 (to man’s wife)

Your punk is way outta his league, sweet thang.

 

Thug one snatches a kiss from her.  Couple huddles together.  Thugs destroy house on the way out back door.

 

Thugs chuckle, exit.

 

EXT. HOUSE - BACKYARD   NIGHT

 

In an array of chops, punches, elbows, flips, and stomps, thugs find themselves looking up from concrete.

 

   AID

 (to Thug One)

Tell, yo b***h he’s way outta his league, sweetness!

 

Aid grinds a kiss into his cheek.

 

   HELPER

Go on, get outta town!  Make it before, sunrise, chump.

 

Thugs hurry to truck.

 

   HELPER

No, walk!!  That truck is mine, now!!

 

Aids chuckle as thugs limp away.  Aid catches eyes of couple.  Business man smirks, Aid winks at him.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - BATHROOM   NIGHT

 

Mariel’s phone RINGS.

 

   MARIEL

Hello.

 

   MOTHER

Mariel, baby.  How ya holdin’ up?

 

   MARIEL

Fine, mom.  I know I don’t look it but I’m okay.

 

   MOTHER

We are on edge, Mare.  We don’t want you to be a news article.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah, mom, don’t worry.  I gotta go, love ya.

 

   MOTHER

Love you, too.

 

Mariel checks her appearance, cleans hands, pries open door, and peaks out.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - HALLWAY   NIGHT

 

She enters, hears noise, sees nothing, and continues.  Footsteps click toward her, she sees nothing, hurries.

 

Man turns into hallway, speeds toward her.  She jerks on several doors, all locked.  She hurries to cafeteria, SHOTS PING against metal door frame, she races in.

 

She fumbles to call 911, shots continue, she twists knob and darts into kitchen, shooting stops.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - KITCHEN   NIGHT

 

She hides.

 

Staff member investigates commotion, goon shoots him dead. 

 

He stalks through kitchen.  She bursts out of refrigerator, slams door into him, dashes away.

 

He shoots, misses, buckles away as she hurls utensils, pots, pans, dishes at him.  She escapes back into cafeteria, shots penetrate wall around her.

 

He rips toward her, pulls trigger, chamber’s empty.  He lobs it at her continuing for her.  She races into hallway.

 

Goon turns into hallway.

 

INT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - HALLWAY   NIGHT

 

Gunshots BLASTS him against wall.  It’s Laney’s friend, Helper.

 

Goon’s body slumps to floor, blood spatter trickles down wall like jelly.

 

   HELPER

Follow me, Mare!

 

EXT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - PARKING LOT   NIGHT

 

They burst outside toward car.  Goons on look out pursue.

 

Mariel and Helper jump in escaping gunfire.  Cars race away.  SHOTS fire back and forth.

 

Mariel takes cover.

 

EXT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - STREET   NIGHT

 

Goons swerve, dodging gunfire.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - DRIVEWAY   NIGHT

 

Goons pull up, push out of car, approach door.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - BEDROOM   NIGHT

 

Parents sink into bed, a POUNDING on door alarms them.  Dad uncovers himself. 

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S HOME - LIVING ROOM   NIGHT

 

He makes way to door, pries door open, goons kick in and stalks toward him.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - BEDROOM   NIGHT

 

Lights in bedroom flick on, WRESTLING AND BRUISING heard.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - BEDROOM   NIGHT

 

Dad takes a beating.

 

   GOON ONE

 (cool voice)

Where’s the girl?

 

Dad says nothing.  He’s thrown into mirror, they pulverize him.

 

   GOON ONE

Where is, Mariel?

 

Bloody, bruised, but brave, Dad says nothing.

 

   GOON ONE

Okay.  Well, I got some bad news.  One, Mariel’s gonna die.  Two?  You... you’re gonna die.  And three--

 

Goon two holds wife execution style.

 

   GOON ONE

--Your wife, she’s gonna die.

 

Goon one raises hand, smacks Dad.

 

INT. HELPER’S CAR - DIRT ROAD   NIGHT

 

Shooting continues.

 

   HELPER

Listen up.  You saw too much, know too much.

 

Mariel turns away but listens.

 

   HELPER

We can help you.

 

   MARIEL

You’re the one who called.  What can you do?

 

   HELPER

 (quizzing)

Do you even know who Laney was?

 

   MARIEL

Laney was a good man.  He didn’t deserve what happened to him.

 

   HELPER

 (still quizzing)

Right.  But, who was he?  And these goons?  Who are they?  Why did they want him dead?  And why do they want you, dead?

 

Goons zoom up street banging, bashing against Helper’s car.  Good guys run goons into a ditch, and race off to a dark area.  They pull over and talk.

 

   MARIEL

So what’s this all about?

 

   HELPER

Everyone has a guardian.  We’re guardians.  Those goons, they’re guardians.  We’re all guarding something.

 

Mariel frowns.

 

   MARIEL

 (sarcastic)

That’s it?  They’re guardians?  So what am I evil incarnate?

 

She chuckles to herself.

 

   HELPER

Laney protected people, good people.  He risked his life protecting those good people.

 

   MARIEL

What!?  I’m outta here, man!  Laney was shot in cold blood!

 

She cracks open door.

 

   HELPER

Really?  In the middle of gunfire?  They’re not done.  They’ll be back.

 

   MARIEL

I told Laney you were weird.

 

She opens door, helper grabs her and restrains her.  She fights.

 

   Helper

Look!  I don’t give a damn what you think of me.  I don’t care who you believe.  I am given a job to do and I’m gonna do it.  Those goons are given a job to do and they are gonna do it!  So, until the smoke is cleared--

 

Headlights white wash inside of car. They speed off, chase continues.

 

Shooting battle resumes.  Goons ram into car, losing control both cars race around bend.

 

INT. GOON’S CAR - DIRT ROAD   NIGHT

 

Goon dials.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S HOME   NIGHT

 

Goon phone RINGS.  He BACK HANDS Dad, answers phone.

 

   GOON ONE

Yeah... Is that right?  Gotchya.

 

He snaps finger at other goon, drops Dad, they stomp off. 

 

Dad drags himself to phone.  A goon returns, snatches phone out of wall, stomps Dad, takes phone.

 

EXT. AN ABANDONED WAREHOUSE   NIGHT

 

Chase continues to a lot at a warehouse.

 

   HELPER

Pull in here.

 

They zoom to back of building, all hustle out, race to entrance.  Goons skid and ram into building.

Good guys BUST lock, herd inside.

 

Goons surround place.

 

EXT. OTHER GOON’S CAR - DIRT ROAD   NIGHT

 

Goon one picks up RINGING phone.

 

   GOON ONE

Yeah.  Where are you? ...Got it.  I’m there.

 

Goon car speeds.

 

EXT. ABANDONED BUILDING   NIGHT

 

Goons shoot up boards on windows.  Good guys shoot back.

 

INT. ABANDONED BUILDING   NIGHT

 

Mariel watches while squeezed between two aids.  She focuses on Helper.

 

Tires screech, Helper and aids check windows, more goons.

 

   HELPER

We have to create a diversion and sneak her outta here.

 

Goons try to creep inside, aids shoot them dead, Goon grazes an aid.  Another aid takes wounded aid’s spot.

 

Helper grabs some containers from warehouse and pushes them toward rear windows.  Shoot out with goons continue.

 

Helper readies containers.

 

   HELPER

Get her ready.  Stand by the door.

 

Helper lobs barrel out, aims, shoots, BOOM!

 

   HELPER

Go!

 

Helper follows behind aids, shooting.  Other aids race behind them, last aid gets shot.

 

Helper, Mariel and surviving aids make it to car, race to front, skid toward goons, run them off road, and continue to safety.

 

EXT. HELPER’S MANSION - DRIVEWAY   NIGHT

 

Mariel slumps inside.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Aids escort her up to a room.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Helper joins her.

 

   HELPER

Okay.  We can continue our discussion now.  I know you’re tired--

 

   MARIEL

--I don’t care.  Look I just want to get out of this.  I want people to not shoot at me.

 

   HELPER

Understandable.  But, it’s not that cut and dry.  I already told you that.

 

   MARIEL

Why did they kill Laney?

 

   HELPER

Well, actually it’s not certain that they are the ones who killed Laney.

 

   MARIEL

What?  What do you mean?

 

   HELPER

Laney was attacked by some unknown assailants.  The goons who attacked us tonight were there but they didn’t have a chance to carry out their plans.  These other guys, the guys you saw... killed Laney.

 

   MARIEL

So, what now?  Am I gonna be locked in here now?

 

   HELPER

You can rest here tonight.  You’ll be safe here.  Then, I’ll take you wherever you wanna go, tomorrow.

 

   MARIEL

How did Laney’s murder take place?  What was so significant about--

 

   HELPER

--In the morning.  We’ll talk.  Get some sleep.

 

Mariel shrugs it off, turns in.

 

EXT. CAR - ROADWAY   NIGHT

 

Goons follow tire tracks to mansion.

 

   GOON ONE

Bunch of dumbasses!!  Up there.  Pull up.  Get these wipes!

 

They ram gate, get out, circle mansion, and ante up.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   NIGHT

 

BEDROOM

 

SHOTS RING out.  Mariel, alarmed, jumps up, makes way to window.  Bars block view, she races to hallway.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Helper wave aids to all entrances.  Shooting continue.

 

   MARIEL

What?  What?  Are we not safe?

 

   HELPER

Just stay in your room.  It’s taken care of.

 

More gun shots leave a goon dead.

 

Mariel stands at foot of staircase, watches Helper.  She begins up stairs.

 

   MARIEL

This is crazy.  I cannot believe this is happening.  This has to stop.

 

EXT. MANSION - DRIVEWAY   NIGHT

 

Gunfire continues.  Goons sneak to porch, a goon kicks in a window.

 

Helper grabs his foot, twists, and slams him to ground, blows him away.

 

Aids in windows and on ground continue shooting.  Aids turn on bright lights of mansion to white wash goons’ view.

 

INT. MANSION - STAIRCASE   NIGHT

 

Mariel cowers as pounding gunshots continue.

 

   HELPER

Finish them!

 

EXT. MANSION   NIGHT

 

Aids pop off goons until dead silence.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Mariel attacks Helper.

 

   MARIEL

I want outta here!  You can’t keep me here!  I don’t wanna be here!  This is kidnapping! You guys are creeps!

 

   HELPER

Okay.  Alright.  I--

 

He grabs her, pins her against wall.

 

   HELPER

--Stop it!!  It’s not gonna happen.  You’re gonna stay here.  You may not like it.  But, deal with it.  That’s it!!

 

 (to aid)

What’s the score?

 

   AID

They’re finished.

 

   HELPER

Okay.  Clean it up.  You know the drill.

 

   HELPER

 (to Mariel)

Game over.  All’s well that ends well.  Just calm down.  We can straighten it all out in the morning.

 

   MARIEL

I don’t believe this.

 

She drags herself up stairs, slams door.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   MORNING

 

Mariel comes out of bathroom fully dressed, still gloomy.

 

INT. MANSION - STAIRCASE   MORNING

 

She makes her way down steps.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   MORNING

 

She sees helper facing away, looking out window.

 

   MARIEL

 (kinder)

I know you can’t still be watching for goons.

 

   HELPER

I hope you’ll forgive me if I was a little rough with you.  I hope I didn’t--

 

   MARIEL

--You didn’t.  Just can we go now?

 

   Helper

You don’t want breakfast?

 

   MARIEL

I got class.  And I’m late already.

 

   HELPER

It’s Saturday.  Besides before you go, I do have something I want to talk to you about.

 

   MARIEL

Well, can we go somewhere where we won’t be shot at?

 

   HELPER

So, you’ll eat with me?

 

   MARIEL

I’m not hungry.

 

   HELPER

Well, just sit with me.  I’m starving.  I’ve been waiting for you for hours.

 

INT. MANSION - DINING ROOM   MORNING

 

He stuffs his face.

 

   MARIEL

So, what is it?  Can you wipe your face a minute?  I gotta go.

 

   HELPER

Oh, yeah.  You know you should really think about where your life is going.

 

   MARIEL

What?  What’s wrong with my life?

 

   HELPER

No.  I mean, well, okay... This--

 

   MARIEL

--What?

 

   HELPER

I was thinking maybe you should join us.

 

   MARIEL

What?

 

She laughs to herself.

 

   HELPER

You could be trained.  You know it would be easier to protect you if you’re with us.

 

   MARIEL

I’ll take my chances where my life is going.

 

   HELPER

That’s funny.  But, I’m serious.  We are called to protect you.  And that’s what we are gonna do.  You’re not getting rid of us.  That’s all there is to it.

 

   MARIEL

Look you don’t run my life.  You don’t... you can’t do this.  I don’t want this!

 

   HELPER

Alright.  Soon as I’m done, I’ll, uh, I’ll take you home.

 

EXT. COUNTRY LANE APARTMENTS   DAY

 

Moving truck parked on curb.  Movers move furniture in and out.

 

INT. COUNTRY LANE - LANEY’S PLACE   DAY

 

Two goons rummage through Laney’s belongings before tossing them in barrels.  Goon one dials.

 

   GOON ONE

Hey.  Bring that truck around.  We gotta lotta stuff.

 (to other goons)

Okay!  Everything goes.

 

EXT. MANSION   MORNING

 

Helper and Mariel make their way to car.

 

   HELPER

I really think you should reconsider.  This is serious business, Mariel.

 

   MARIEL

No thanks.

 

They get in.

 

INT. CAR - ROAD   MORNING

 

Helper grabs case.

 

   MARIEL

You actually think that my very well being relies on me joining you?  What are you some sort of cult?

 

   HELPER

 (sighs)

Alright.

 

Helper assembles a weapon and places it back into a case.

 

   MARIEL

I need you to take me to my parents.  I need to make sure they’re okay.

 

   HELPER

No problem.

 

Helper finishes equipping his artillery.  He offers her a gun.

 

   HELPER

Here.  I’ll, uh, I’ll show you how to use--

 

   MARIEL

--What?!  Oh, no!  Nuh, uhn!!  No way!  I’m not... Just take me to my parents.

 

Helper, out done, puts the case away.

 

INT. COUNTRY LANE - LANEY’S PLACE   MORNING

 

Goons finish up.

 

INT. COUNTRY LANE - LANEY’S PLACE   MORNING

 

FIRST FLOOR ENTRANCE

 

A goon watches street activity, sees cops.

 

   GOON

Great!

 

He calls Goon one.

 

   GOON

Trouble.  The cops.

 

   GOON ONE (v.o.)

Shoot!!  Alright get Reginald.

 

EXT. COUNTRY LANE   MORNING

 

Cop car lights FLASH.  Goon number one looks down at them then at far end of block.

 

A truck zooms at vehicles, officers dive away, and truck smashes through.

 

Truck returns and slams them again.

 

Truck skids around corner, cops examine cars and call it in.  Goons disappear.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S HOME   MORNING

 

Mariel opens door as car screeches to a halt.  She gets out, makes her way to door.  Helper stands, waits, follows her.

 

   MARIEL

I’m okay.  Really.  Thank you.

 

   HELPER

I’ll go anyway!  Let’s go.

 

They proceed.

 

INT. PARENT’S HOME   MORNING

 

   MARIEL

Mom?  Dad?

 

They check kitchen, bathroom, and head up stairs.

 

INT. PARENT’S HOME - SECOND FLOOR   MORNING

 

Helper checks bedrooms and bathroom, return downstairs.

 

INT. PARENT’S HOME - FIRST FLOOR   MORNING

 

Aids return to front door.

 

   MARIEL

Where are they?

 

   HELPER

We need to go.  Maybe they’ll come--

 

   MARIEL

--They’re my parents!  I wanna know where they are.  Something could be wrong.

 

   HELPER

Well, what are you gonna do?  I mean where else could they be?  We need to get you safe first.  That’s the main--

 

   MARIEL

--Yeah, yeah.  I know the drill.  Let me call--

 

He yanks her out.

 

EXT. PARENTS’ HOME   MORNING

 

He drags her to car.

 

   HELPER

We can do that in the car!

 

They get in, driver peels off.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Mariel paces floor, dialing and redialing parents, no answer. 

 

Aids watch TV.  She gives up, mash phone button angrily, walks to front door.

 

   MARIEL

This is great.  Where are they?  You guys I need to find my parents.  We can’t just stay here hiding out.  They could be in trouble.

 

   AID

He’s looking into it.  I promise you.  He’s on it.  Just try and keep yourself calm.

 

Mariel looks around, peers through windows, catches eyes of aids guarding mansion.  She sighs.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   LATE NIGHT

 

Helper strolls in.  Aids play video games, eat take out.

 

   HELPER

Where’s Mariel?

 

   AID

She finally settled down and went to bed.  Hector’s up there.

 

Helper makes his way upstairs, sees HECTOR, another aid.  Hector motions to her room.  Helper approaches, knocks, grabs phone and dials.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   LATE NIGHT

 

BEDROOM

 

He opens door, searches.  She sits on bed, still dressed, teary eyes search him for news.

 

   HELPER

We found them.

 

   MARIEL

Where?!  Where are they?!

 

   HELPER

Home safe.  Here.  This is the number they are using.

 

He pushes send, Mariel grabs phone.

 

   MARIEL

Mom?  Mom?  What happened?  Where did you go?

 

   MOM (v.o)

They came here, Mariel.  They hurt your Dad.  We had to go to the hospital.

 

   MARIEL

Is he okay?  Let me talk to him.  Are you okay?

 

   MOM (v.o)

Yes, we’re fine.  But, where are you?

 

   MARIEL

Well, I don’t exactly know.  I’m supposed to be in hiding.  That’s what I’m told.

 

Helper gives her privacy.

 

   MOM (v.o)

Well, I met someone who says they’re protecting you and they’re gonna look out for us.  We’re on edge over here.

 

   MARIEL

I know mom.  I’m sorry.  I am too.  I love you.   I need to speak to dad.

 

   MOM (v.o)

Okay.  Here he is.  Love you too, baby.

 

   DAD (v.o)

Hey, baby girl.

 

   MARIEL

Dad.  You okay?

 

   DAD (v.o)

As good as ever.  Why don’t you come home?

 

   MARIEL

I want to.  I wish I had’ve listened to you guys earlier maybe we wouldn’t be going through this.

 

   DAD (v.o)

Don’t you worry about that.  We will make it through this.  We got the cops off of their asses and they‘re gonna do their jobs.  Just get here as soon as you can.  We love ya, baby girl.

 

   MARIEL

I know, Dad.  I love you too.  You get some rest now.  And say goodbye to mom for me.  Love ya.  Bye-bye.

 

She lies back on bed, turns over, and cries.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   MORNING

 

BEDROOM

 

A knock on door, Mariel wakes, a waiter enters with a dish, she sits up, looks confused.

 

   WAITER

Good morning.  They figured you wanted to be alone.  So, here you go.  Enjoy.

 

The waiter leaves as quickly as he came.

 

Mariel gets out of bed.  She exits.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   MORNING

 

HALLWAY

 

She roams hallway, down staircase.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   MORNING

 

Into living room, not a soul, she continues to kitchen, around to back door, aids guard mansion.  She retreats to living room.

 

INT. MANSION - LIVING ROOM   MORNING

 

Sun beams in making room even brighter.  She grabs TV remote and clicks.

 

INT. MANSION - LIVING ROOM   LATE AFTERNOON

 

Mariel sleeps on couch, news broadcasts.  She awakes amid a report about a brief standoff with cops at Laney’s apartment, she focuses on story.

 

Door key FUMBLES, door cracks open.  Helper enters, sits beside her.

 

   HELPER

How ya holdin’ up?

 

Mariel shrugs.

 

   MARIEL

Be nice to see my parents and be there.

 

   HELPER

I know this has been unsettling for you.  I hate what you’ve gone through.  I don’t think... I know Laney wouldn’t have wanted this for you.

 

   MARIEL

Oh, stop it!  I don’t need that.  I can take care of myself.  I... don’t give me your pity.  Just let me out of here and leave me alone.  Don’t butter me with breakfast in bed or a nice palace or your overbearing comfort.  Just... just please let me go home!  When you are ready to take me home, come get me.  Otherwise, I’m calling the police and telling them what’s going on.

 

She storms to her bedroom.  Phone RINGS, he digs it out of coat pocket, answers.

 

   HELPER

Yeah?  Oh, hey.  No she’s fine.  She’s got some spunk.  I think she’s gonna be just fine.  She’s a real tough woman.  Well, I was shocked.  I didn’t think she had it in her.  Stay tuned.  I will.  Love ya.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Helper leads Mariel into something like an interrogation room.  He sits her at a computer, sits next to her, pulls up some files of faces.

 

   HELPER

These... These faces are or could be the goons who are pursuing you.  If you can see them and identify them, it would make it easier for you to spot them when needed.

 

   MARIEL

Why are you showing me this?  It’s not like I’m going out there... You’re kidding me.  Don’t you ever stop?

 

   HELPER

What else can I say, Mare?  I can’t do this myself.  I need your help.  You need to keep your eyes open.  You need to be aware.  You need to be equipped to handle yourself.  Then, you won’t feel like I’m crowding you so much.  But, I am not gonna leave you defenseless.  Just take note of the photos.  I’ll print copies for our records.

 

   MARIEL

If you’re gonna look after me you’re gonna have to do it without me getting physically involved.  I... the violence... no... I need to see my parents.  Take me to them.

 

   HELPER

I have some things to do.  I will take you first thing tomorrow.  Relax and settle in.

 

INT. CAR - ROAD   NOON

 

Mariel watch aids secure weapons.

 

   MARIEL

So, where are they?

 

   HELPER

I better not tell you in case you are... well, we’re almost there.  Turn down this--

 

A car rams them into a ditch.  Driver spins in a circle amidst another gun battle.  Mariel ducks, takes cover.

 

   GOON ONE

Hand her over!

 

   HELPER

 (shooting)

Piss off!!

 

They ram each other and crash into a building.

 

   HELPER

Out!  Get her out!

 

INT. ABANDONED BUILDING   NOON

 

Aids rush her inside building.

 

   MARIEL

No!  Not, again!  Awe, man!

 

Ambush more intense than before, goons force their way inside, gun shots continue.  Helper takes aim and bags another goon. 

 

Aids guard entrances, an aid is wounded, aids riddle goon with holes.

 

Mariel betwixt two aids sees a tunnel to freedom, she waits. 

Aids abandon her to attack.  Goons fire at random hitting nothing.

 

Aids blast full force, goons retreat, but aids terminate them.

 

Helper checks on his men.

 

   HELPER

You alright?  You alright?  You?

 

He searches area.

 

   HELPER

Where is she?

 

On the run through a tunnel, Mariel ends up in another room, searches, takes her chances through a ragged door, races on.

 

Aids scatter about building, searching.

 

EXT. BUILDING - MAIN ENTRANCE   NOON

 

Helper bursts out, searches.

 

EXT. BUILDING - REAR ENTRANCE   NOON

 

Mariel continues on.  More goons spot her, car races at her, shooting, she retreats, finds hiding spot.  Car screeches to a halt, two goons get out, stalk area.

 

Helper races around to rear.  Goons close in on Mariel’s hiding place, Mariel watch goons approach.

 

Helper surprised by goon gunfire, takes cover.  Mariel looks on, panting, they resume search.

 

They pan area.  A goon spots her, pokes his buddy, he sees her.  She weeps.  Goon takes aim, c***s gun.

 

From above, GUN SHOTS, goons run for cover but don’t make it.  They drop dead on contact.

 

Mariel looks up at top of building searching for unknown shooter.  Helper spots dead goons, also searching for shooter, approaches Mariel.

 

   HELPER

Mariel!  Mariel!

 

He looks over dead bodies and takes some valuable information. 

 

   HELPER

I know this is too much for you.  But, I really don’t have any other choice.

 

He finds Mariel weeping, he reaches for her.  She slaps his hands.

 

He reaches again.  She pulls away like a stubborn child.  He tries once more.

 

   HELPER

Come on, Mare.  Come on.

 

As he lifts her out, she pleads.

 

   MARIEL

I can’t take this no more.  I’m finished.  I’m done.  Please take me home.  I just want to go home.

 

He walks with her to car, helps her in, and comforts her.

 

   MARIEL

You’re gonna take me home.  This is over.  I’m done.  I’m done.

 

   HELPER

We leave you alone you’ll die.  You know that.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S TEMPORARY HOME   MIDDAY

 

A car pulls up to an arched driveway that curves back into street.  Mariel’s mom peeps out window from second floor.  Aids look out from first floor windows.  Mariel gets out, hurries to porch.

 

She mashes doorbell nonstop, aid opens door, she thrusts herself in, finds mom.  They embrace, Dad hurries over to them.

 

   MARIEL

Are you alright?

 

   MOM

Yeah.  But, you don’t look it.

 

   DAD

 (to anyone)

What’s gonna become of this?

 

   MARIEL

I’m tired of this.  What more can I take?  What more can my family take?

 

   HELPER

 (to aids)

Bring her things here later.  She can stay here with her parents for awhile.

 (to parents)

I hope you understand in time that this was meant to provide shelter and comfort for your daughter.  This was not to harm her.  We’ll be in touch.

 

EXT. WAREHOUSE   NIGHT

 

Helper and two aids approach, knocks.  Garage like door opens.

 

INT. WAREHOUSE   NIGHT

 

They walk into a look alike laboratory, door closes behind him, meet a suit and tie man, a wannabe gangster SALESMAN.

 

   HELPER

You know what I need?

 

Salesman throws pitch.

 

   SALESMAN

I believe I do.  But, do you know what I have?

 

   HELPER

What?

 

   SALESMAN

See what I have.

 

   HELPER

I place my order.  You deliver.  Simple as that.

 

   SALESMAN

Sure.

 

Salesman snaps his fingers and two men arrive with bags and a case.

 

   HELPER

 (to aid)

Open ‘em up.

 

The aid opens each bag and case to reveal all the weapons and ammo.  Nothing fancy just usual hand held and machine guns with plenty of ammo and accessories to make fighting and getaways easier.

 

Helper pays his money.

 

   HELPER

Thank you.

 

He gives Salesman a pat.

 

   HELPER

We’ll be in touch.

 

   SALESMAN

I’ll be here.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME   LATE NIGHT

 

Helper enters, makes his way upstairs, peeks in empty rooms making sure he’s alone, dials phone, and connects.

 

   HELPER

Hey!  Listen.  We got more leads on the culprits.  We have people scoping out the area they plan to hit next.  No.  No.  Not the girl.  This is about the other ones.  The old couple.  Yeah.  Well, we need to protect them, too.

 

Mariel peeks outside her room, eaves drop.

 

   HELPER

One person at a time.  We’re not an army, yet.  For now we need to ensure the safety of all these good people.  They deserve that.  It’s what my friend would have done.

 

Mariel hears.

 

   HELPER

Yes.  I have to do it this way.  Well, I made a promise... to a friend.

 

 (chuckles)

Yes.  It’s the same friend.  Well, I’m gonna snoop around make sure all is well and I’m crashing.  Alright.  Good enough.  Bye.

 

Mariel slowly and carefully closes door.  Helper looks down at door, shrugs it off and makes his way downstairs.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S TEMPORARY HOME   MIDDAY

 

Mariel comes out of bedroom fully dressed and walks hallway.  She passes a breached doorway, comes back to investigate.

 

She peeks through.  Helper and others assemble weapons and follow blueprints to houses and buildings.  Helper aims his gun pretending to shoot it, hides it in his pocket.

 

A man glances over and sees her figure in doorway.  She backs away and hurries out of sight.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S TEMPORARY HOME   MIDDAY

 

FIRST FLOOR

 

Mariel makes it downstairs.  Parents drink coffee, read paper.

 

   MARIEL

Morning.

 

   MOM

Morning, Mariel.

 

   MARIEL

This isn’t home, mom.

 

   MOM

Gotta make the best of things.  When that’s all you’ve got, that’s all you’ve got.

 

   MARIEL

Typical mom.

 

   DAD

 (agreeing)

Hm.

 

Mariel grabs a bagel and nibbles.

 

   DAD

What’re they doing about you, Mare?

 

Mariel shrugs.

 

   HELPER

Morning, Mariel.

 

   MARIEL

 (flippant)

Actually it’s afternoon.

 

Helper smirks, irritated, and continues on.  Mariel follows him to door and shouts.

 

   MARIEL

You know.  While you are out playing cops and robbers there are lives here.  Let’s not forget that.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME   MIDDAY

 

Helper stops.

 

   HELPER

 (to aid)

Give me a moment.

 

He returns to Mariel.

 

   HELPER

Things have not changed.  We are still doing this.  You are staying here.  It doesn’t change.

 

   MARIEL

Well, I don’t have to like it.  So, you don’t get to like it either.

 

   HELPER

How mature.

 

   MARIEL

I’m not a murderer.

 

He gives her a look, and smiles.

 

   HELPER

Yet.

 

Mariel throws her bagel at him, it falls short of him.  He smiles, tips his hat teasingly and moves on.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME   NIGHT

 

Helper walks in, heads for Mariel’s room, hesitates, knocks.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah.

 

   HELPER

Mare.  It’s me.  Can I come in?

 

   MARIEL

Are you taking us home and getting out of our lives?  If not, then no.

 

   HELPER

Okay.  Come on out so we can talk.

 

   MARIEL

Go somewhere!

 

   HELPER

Look.  Either we talk out here or in there.  Doesn’t matter but it’s gonna happen.

 

Mariel doesn’t respond.

 

   HELPER

Okay.  I barge in on the count of three.  Your choice.  One...  two--

 

Mariel opens door, dressing herself in a robe.

 

   MARIEL

What?

 

   HELPER

Well, I wanna talk about your feelings about this whole thing and apologize again for you and your family going through this.  It’s not something I want for you.  I hope you realize that.

 

   MARIEL

Well, I probably was pretty cold earlier and raunchy.  But, I don’t apologize about it because this is very uncomfortable.  I mean people are getting shot left and right.  That’s not something I’m... this is not my future.

 

   HELPER

What is, Mare?

 

   MARIEL

...It’s not this.

 

   HELPER

Come.  Sit with me.

 

He grabs her arm and escorts her to kitchen.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME   NIGHT

 

KITCHEN

 

   HELPER

Okay.  We’ve had this talk before.  But, we never really finished.  We’re trying to grow our military to make a bigger impact.

 

   MARIEL

And you’re telling me this because?

 

   HELPER

This war we’re fighting--

 

   MARIEL

--What war?

 

   HELPER

Gimme a minute.  These groups are quite aware of us, as you know.  They are trying to find us and snuff us out.  This goes deeper than just you witnessing an assassination.  This has more to do with underworld governments and of course money.  No one gets in the way of that.  No one ever gets in the way of that and live to tell about that.  That’s nothing new under the sun, Mare.  See this situation you’re in is not a witness protection program or some government-affiliated program.  The police can’t help you.  Only you can help you.  This is why I pressed you so much.  Knowing Laney was a blessing but it’s also a curse.  Why do you think he was so private?

 

   MARIEL

So, Laney was a part of this military program?

 

   HELPER

You still don’t believe me do you?  Where do you think he was going every night I showed up?

 

   MARIEL

Can I go to bed now?

 

   HELPER

 (joking)

Hey.  No one’s got a gun to your head, so to speak.

 

Mariel leaves.

 

   MARIEL

Funny.

 (to herself)

When will someone wake me up?

 

   HELPER

 (to himself)

I’m trying.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME   DAY

 

Helper stands a distance away from home.  He watches Mariel escaping.

 

She checks for aids, motions her parents along, approach a taxi pulling up to gate.  They squeeze through gate and hurry inside taxi.

 

Helper dials aid.

 

   HELPER

Stay on her and keep me posted.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S REAL HOME   DAY

 

Taxi pulls up.  They make way to porch, Mariel searches for aids and goons before entering.

 

In a car parked a few houses down, an aid calls.

 

   AID

She’s in.  They’re safe.

 

EXT. A MAIN ROAD INTERSECTION   NIGHT

 

A goon in a black trench coat gets off a bus, makes his way across a road and down a side street.

 

He continues down this road, sneaks behind neighboring houses, climb fences until he is in backyard of parents’ home.

 

He climbs house to second floor, peaks inside bathroom window, unlocks window and crawls in.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S REAL HOME - CAR   NIGHT

 

Aids stakeout and goons approach aids’ car. 

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - SECOND FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Goon sneaks through floor, peaks in a room, sees no one. 

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME   NIGHT

 

Goons creep closer to car.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - SECOND FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Goon peeps in next room, sees no one, Dad climbs stairs.  Goon hides, waits.  Dad stops and returns down stairs.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME   NIGHT

 

Goons wait.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME   NIGHT

 

Goon travels downstairs a distance behind Dad.  Dad turns into kitchen and disappears.

 

Goon searches living room, dining room, den, no one.  He ventures to basement, removes his shoes, creeps downstairs.

 

He stoops to see them.  They are packing suitcases facing away from staircase.

 

He readies his gun, shifts foot position, floor CREAKS, they turn toward him.  He aims, they take cover.  He shoots.

 

EXT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME   NIGHT

 

SHOTS cue goons.  They blast car.  Gunshots stop.

 

Wounded aids fire back at goons.  Goons shoot back, retreat inside house.

 

Two aids, bloody and injured, emerge from car.  Like terminators they stay on their mission dragging themselves to house.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - BASEMENT   NIGHT

 

Goon shoots nonstop.  Dad muscles couch toward shooter.  Shooter loses balance.  They escape to laundry room.  Bullets chase after them.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - FIRST FLOOR   NIGHT

 

Aids make their way inside.  First aid approaches a goon headed upstairs, takes aim and shoots him down.

 

Another goon returns from kitchen blows aid away.  Second aid enters, shoots goon and stands over him.

 

   GOON

You know, we’ll get her.  We’ll get her.

 

   AID

We got you!

 

Aid shoots him dead, advances to basement.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - BASEMENT   NIGHT

 

Dad retreats to a special tackle box hidden in wall, unveils a secret arsenal of weapons.

 

   MOM

What?  You keep guns in this house!?

 

   DAD

 (agitated)

Yeah!  Comes in handy, don’t it?!

 

Dad tries to give them guns. Gunshots continue.

 

   DAD

Take them!!

 

They snatch guns and race for cover.  Women shed tears, goon approaches.

 

Dad shoots, goon takes cover, a shootout goes back and forth between them.  Dad takes a shot in hand.

 

   MOM

Oh!

 

   MARIEL

Dad!!

 

Goon reloads, shoots across room randomly.  Dad scoots himself to his family at dead end of laundry room.

 

Goon looks out and approaches with caution.  He shoots a shot here, a shot there, then, another.  Each shot drills closer to them.

 

Trembling, Mariel raises her gun.  Goon continues his methodic firing.  A shot lands inches from her face into wall.

 

Shaking, she takes aim.  Shots continue, then, stop.  Mariel gets a view of goon, covers her eyes, and shoots in a circular motion, missing shots, except one.  It punctures his neck.  He backs into shelf.

 

She uncovers her eyes to see the damage.  Goon goes down, struggles with gun, focuses on his target, Mariel.

 

She pulls trigger, out of bullets.  He aims, POW!  His body wanes.  A bullet to his temple fades him.

 

The smoking gun responsible, aid, leans against doorway.

 

   AID

Don’t shoot!  I’m on your side.

 

   MARIEL

We don’t have sides!

 

Dad helps them up.  They walk toward aid.

 

   AID

I’m sorry.  We were ambushed.

 

   MARIEL

Wait.  What... you’ve been watching us?!  I don’t believe this!  You guys are incredible!

 

   AID

Help is on the way.  We’ll take care of you.

 

   MARIEL

No!  We want the police.  This is enough!!

 

   AID

We won’t let you do that.  We have to handle this.  Otherwise, the police will have to die.  This won’t stop until the enemy’s had enough.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah?  And when will that be?

 

   DAD

Mare.  Let’s get us some help, huh.  We can fuss later.

 

They move to staircase.

 

   MOM

We’re alive.  Let’s be thankful.

 

 (to Dad)

And you!  After we fix you, we are gonna talk about those things in there!

 

   DAD

Oh, come on.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ HOME - LIVING ROOM   NIGHT

 

Helper checks out scene, qualified aids nurse their wounds. 

 

   HELPER

We’re going back to the mansion.  That’s all to it.

 

   MARIEL

No, we’re--

 

   HELPER

--We’re going!!!

 

INT. DURANGO TRUCK - ROAD   NIGHT

 

In a bigger more durable vehicle they turn corner, a shootout commences.

 

Aids take a station at each window, goons race toward them, Truck swerves to avoid, goons nick back of truck, shooting continues.

 

Mariel and parents duck down.  Vehicles swerve 360 degrees, truck pulls ahead of goon’s Cadillac.

 

Aids shoot back at Cadillac, goons slow down, shooting for cover.  Truck speeds, two more cars swerve beside them, shooting continues.

 

Aids and Helper aim at tires and flatten them.  Two cars swerve out of control.  Mariel looks on, looks at her parents, then at gun in a case on floor.

 

She looks up at gunfight.  Cars swerve back on street and behind truck, shooting continues.  All vehicles share road side by side.

 


   HELPER

Keep them behind us.

 

A car slams against side of truck.  Goons shoot an aid dead, truck swerves both cars off road.  Cars return behind them.

 

   HELPER

Keep up the pace!

 

Dad grabs dead aid’s gun and takes charge.

 

   HELPER

 (to Dad)

Watch it!

 

Shooting continues on down road.  Aids snuff out a couple goons, car slows.  Other two cars race at truck full speed, ram it.

 

Cars race beside them.  Dad takes aim, bags another goon, and takes a shot in arm.  Aids take cover amidst heavy fire.  Helper hooks up a small grenade launcher, points it, shoots, takes out a car, but takes a shot.

 

Mariel watches him wince, his body lowers, goons pull up and continue shooting.

 

Mariel views gun, sees goon through shattered windows, she grabs gun, lifts it over Helper and manages a few shots.

 

Helper catches her eyes as she lowers for cover, grabs her arm and uses his body to shield her while he aims her gun.

 

She aims at intended target, fires into driver’s temple.  Her neck recoils, drops gun, grabs neck.

 

Goon’s car rams a building.  Dad and aids riddle next driver with bullets, car swerves off road for good.

 

Truck zooms out of sight.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME - LIVING ROOM   NIGHT

 

Everyone gets medical treatment.  Dad, comforted by mom, gets another bandage.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME - KITCHEN   NIGHT

 

Mariel and Helper sit across from each other, she gets neck massage for injury, a nurse treats Helper’s wound.

 

   MARIEL

You okay?

 

Helper nods with a wincing smile.

 

   MARIEL

So, what do you think?  Is it over?

 

   HELPER

Oh, no!  It’s not over.

 

He looks at her and smiles.

 

   HELPER

But, you handled yourself well, baby.  You did real good.

 

Mariel holds back the fullness of her smile.

 

   MARIEL

I’m gonna go check on dad.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME - LIVING ROOM   NIGHT

 

She walks in gives parents group hug.

 

   MARIEL

I love you guys.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME - DEN   DAY

 

Helper listens to headphones, eating lunch.  In the doorway, beside him, Mariel appears, walks to him, he sees her with his peripheral vision.

 

   HELPER

Hey.

 

   MARIEL

Hey.

 

   HELPER

What’s on your mind?

 

Mariel takes a seat in front of him, slow to respond.

 

   MARIEL

Laney.

 

Helper gives his undivided attention.

 

   MARIEL

What exactly did Laney do?  Tell me everything.

 

   HELPER

There was this woman.  She spoke out against human trafficking and was a voice for surviving victims.  She had a hit out on her for quite some time.  But, before we could help her, Laney was murdered and you needed us.  For Laney’s sake you became our first priority.

 

   MARIEL

 (ponders)

And he did this all the time for people?

 

Helper nods.

 

   MARIEL

What made him a target?

 

   HELPER

He brought us together.  He had the idea to protect people like the woman and the man before you.  They must’ve had someone play informant and word got out that Laney was their guy.

 

   MARIEL

Who are they?  And what about this informant?  Have you caught him or her?

 

   HELPER

No.

 

   MARIEL

So, basically this informant could still be here.  My parents are still at risk?

 

   HELPER

If so, then that would have happened already.

 

   MARIEL

Well, what else can you tell me?

 

   HELPER

If someone was in need and he had the ability to, he would provide that need.  Whatever that need was.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah.  That’s Laney.

 

   HELPER

We need to do this more.  Let’s go somewhere else.  I can finish this later.  I promise no more surprises.

 

   MARIEL

 (joking disbelief)

Sure.

 

   HELPER

Hey, there’s a sense of humor.  A bit dark but I’ll take it.

 

INT. YOURS TRULY RESTAURANT - BOOTH   DAY

 

   MARIEL

What are the assassins so afraid of?  What would be the worst thing that could happen should Laney have been allowed to live?

 

   HELPER

As I said, it all comes down to money.  Power is important.  Money is a key to that power.  Take power away life gets in the way.  Laney’s life got in the way.  So, they took it out.

 

   MARIEL

What got Laney into this line of work?

 

   HELPER

His life is like what a superhero’s life is like.  There’s always some tragedy that conforms or transforms someone.  Laney was no different.  He came from a family of gangsters.  His mother was murdered because of the lifestyle.  She was at the wrong place at the wrong time.  His Dad was convicted of his crimes and her murder.

 

   MARIEL

He killed his own wife?

 

   HELPER

Well, according to Laney, no.  She was in the way.  But, his Dad’s choices probably led that way.  So in a sense, yes he did.

 

   MARIEL

What then?  Did he get life?

 


   HELPER

Someone took his life.  He didn’t survive prison.  It’s funny.  He ran the streets for years.  But prison took him down.

 

   MARIEL

So, what happened to Laney?

 

   HELPER

He didn’t have any close family so other gangsters raised him, friends of the family.  They took him in.  But, as he got older he started to drift from the street life.  Most of his caretakers got jail time or killed.  So, he had to fend for himself.

 

   MARIEL

And then?

 

   HELPER

Well, he just became a covering.  It just happened.  I think his childhood made him compassionate toward victims in the streets.  He never forgot his pain, but, his heart never got cold.

 

   MARIEL

How did you come to know him?  And why were you so close to him?

 

   HELPER

Oddly enough he joined my church.

 

   MARIEL

You?  Church?

 

   HELPER

Yes, believe it or not.  I went to church.  Anyway, he decided to get baptized.  I was a deacon at the church and I was the one assigned to his group that day.  After that experience we had a new relationship.  We went through the wilderness together.  I guided him through it and he came out a better man.  I knew he was going to do great things.  I just felt it.  From that point on we were thick as thieves, as they say.  Anything he wanted I was his right hand man, and been that way ever since.

 

   MARIEL

It’s hard to believe that a good man like Laney could’ve had a past as unfortunate as that.

 

   HELPER

Well, most of our greatest elements come from seemingly terrible things.  But then good people are good people even when things are bad.  That’s what makes them good people.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah.  I guess.  So, what’s this wilderness?

 

   HELPER

Laney didn’t have anything.  He had no money.  No food.  No place to lay his head.  I gave him food.  I supported him.  There were times when he was tempted to live the life his Dad had.  Ya know, out of convenience.  I persuaded him against it.  He hung in there.  It took some time.  But, he clung onto life and escaped death.

 

Mariel’s glowing smile changes to a faded memory when she hears death.

 

   HELPER

But, Laney lived, Mare.  He lived his life.  He was prepared to die.  Life isn’t worth living if you’re not prepared to die.  Because it’s ultimately our destiny, we should be prepared for it.

 

   MARIEL

I could never be the person Laney was.  I never wanted to. I am a regular person I guess.  I think that’s what attracted me to him.  He’s just so bigger than life.  Everyone could see it.  He’s a light in a room, ya know?

 

   HELPER

Ya know, Mariel, everyone is made for greatness.  They’re not always ready for it.  You’re not the only one in this world.  Just like you met Laney and you realized he’s a man like no other.  Well, in this world there are a plethora of people, places, and things like that, eye openers.  Life is more than just what’s in your backyard.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah.  I know.  I just want to enjoy life.  I’m not a missionary or a revolutionary.  I’m just me.

 

EXT. CARNIVAL   NIGHT

 

Mariel and Helper walk and talk.

 

   MARIEL

How do you know it’s safe to do this?  I mean those guys could be here too, right?

 

   HELPER

I don’t go anywhere without my aids around to back me.  You can’t see them but they’re here.

 

   MARIEL

Laney and I used to come here.

 

Helper looks at her.

 

   MARIEL

You already know don’t you?  You were here too.

 

He smiles.

 

   MARIEL

So, you were to him what the aids are to you.

 

He nods.  Mariel turns to ask another question, his phone vibrates.  On guard, Helper, searches.

 

A muffled gunshot whizzes pass their ears, goon descends to his death behind them, Mariel gasps, Helper pins her to wall. 

 

He scans area, shoots, goon falls from shadows into view.  Gunshots RING out, patrons scatter, Mariel crouches in corner.  Helper spots goons, aims, shoots, spot on.  He dials.

 

   HELPER

What the hell is taking so long!?  Get her outta here, now!!

 

In seconds a car zooms through carnival to where they are.  Gunshots continue as hidden aids and Helper take down goons.  Helper walks over to one and gets fingerprints.

 

   HELPER

I wanna know who all of them are.

 

They all crowd in the car with Mariel squeezed in the middle again.  The car zooms off and out of sight before the cops arrive.

 

   MARIEL

No more empty buildings, please.

 

   HELPER

We’re okay.

 

   MARIEL

 (mutters)

For now.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME   LATE NIGHT

 

Mariel and Helper sit in his den.

 

   MARIEL

So, what’s your story?

 

   HELPER

My story?  I come from a wealthy family.  I was spoiled.  I don’t have a special heartfelt story like Laney’s but... I had everything I wanted.  I could snap my fingers and whatever I needed... whatever I desired, I got.  So, I was rotten.  Man, I thought I was tough.  I was just a young rich spoiled punk.

 

   MARIEL

What happened to you?

 

   HELPER

I let evil into my home that’s what happened.  I was into the drug game.  I ran with a gang.  We robbed.  We stole.  We cracked some heads.  But, there’s truly no honor among thieves.  I thought these guys were like family, ya know.  It doesn’t matter how much money you have or how well life goes for you.  One minute you’re on top of the world and the next minute you’re in the gutter... I had a few criminal charges but I was still on the streets.  I was a hard head ya know, whatever.  Anyway, I hear some people on the street talking about a murder, an ambush by a local gang.  I brushed it off and thought nothing of it.  Later, I find out it was one of my own members involved in this murder... Next thing I know these same guys are arrested and locked up.  I get questioned by police and I was like, ya know, I didn’t know anything.  I had just gotten out on the streets.  Then, they tell me that my baby sister was killed.  And they thought I had something to do with it.

 

Tears drown his eyes.

 

   HELPER

I find out that my own street family had something to do with my real family’s murder.  They took out my Aunt and Uncle too, just a straight ambush to steal a car.  I was outdone.  I was finished.  I went berserk.  If I hadn’t been locked up again for something I did earlier there’s no doubt I would have been in there for life.  I would’ve killed all of them.  But, I’m doing my time I’m still getting over my sister’s death my parents have disowned me.  I just had nobody anymore.  That’s when I started straightening up my life.  Not being able to protect my baby sis and my parents’ disapproval of me did it.  I couldn’t take that.  So, that’s when I began going to church and all that corny stuff, ya know.  And I met Laney some years later and the rest is, as they say, history.  I think I’m still looking for my Dad’s approval, which is probably one of the reasons I do this.  I owed a debt to my family and couldn't pay it!  Now, I pay it every day.

 

Helper wipes his eyes.  Embarrassed and exposed he ends conversation.

 

   HELPER

Hey, it’s late maybe I’ll see you tomorrow sometime, huh.

 

Mariel takes hint.  She looks back at him and watches him sulk, closes door.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENTS’ TEMPORARY HOME - BEDROOM   MORNING

 

Mariel awakes to RINGING phone, she fumbles for receiver.

 

   MARIEL

Yeah.

 

INT. CAR - ROAD   MORNING

 

Helper sits adjusting to seat.  INTERCUT DIALOGUE.

 

   HELPER

Hey.  I just wanted to offer you another opportunity to be all you can be.

 

   MARIEL

No.  I’m not... no.

 

   HELPER

Well, again, you’ll get training.  I’ll be there with you.

 

   Mariel

No.  I’m not capable of that.

 

   HELPER

I think you’re wrong.  But, nevertheless, I had to try.  Anyway, if you change your mind, this is where I’ll be.

 

Butler comes in with a food tray and a business card.

 

   HELPER

Get some sleep.

 

INT. SHOOTING GALLERY   DAY

 

A shooting target zooms toward and stops just before frame, bullets riddle target forming a circle around center area of target.

 

Helper, shooter responsible, stands with gun in hand.

 

He resets target to zoom backwards, performs same task, this time shooting circle around first circle of bullets. 

 

Helper, at ease, mulls over his handy work.

 

INT. HEALTH SPA   DAY

 

Helper jogs on a treadmill, monitors heart rate, checks his resistance level, checks his watch, increases incline and speed.

 

INT. HEALTH SPA - RACQUETBALL ROOM   DAY

 

Helper keeps up with ricocheting ball.  After several revolutions he ends battle, exits.

 

INT. RADDISON HOTEL - DARK MEETING ROOM   MORNING

 

Aids sit as if in a classroom.

 

   Helper

Okay.  Each of you received information via email.  Once you got it, you read it, and wrote what you knew about this particular piece of information, and sent it back to me.  Now, I’ll tell you what we’re gonna do.  Each of you has an assigned room.  Pick up your room number and get to it.  We’ll take care of everything else.

 

Aids clear out of room.  Helper and right hand man look at each other, exhale, exit.

 

INT. RADDISON HOTEL - RESIDENTIAL SUITE   MORNING

 

Helper walks in with right hand man.  They approach MOLE sitting in a chair.  Mole meets them half way, they shake hands.  Helper passes him by, walks to window.

 

   MOLE

So, boss.  What now?

 

   HELPER

I’ll tell ya, I’m not your boss!

 

Helper smacks him down, grabs him, and throws him on bed.

 

   HELPER

I’ll tell you what, now.  You are gonna tell us who you are, what the hell you know, who you work for, and you are gonna tell us now!

 

   HELPER

I caution you.  The words, I don’t know nothing and I am innocent will only get you hurt.  And as you know we know how to hurt you.  You are the only one who didn’t answer the information according to protocol.  So start talking or start hurting, your choice.

 

Mole says nothing.  Helper looks at his man, man twists a toe.  Mole, grunts, but says nothing.

 

Man twists another toe.

 

   HELPER

We can go all day with this.  Rest assured you will not die.  I promise you.  You will feel lots of pain.

 

Man twists next toe.  Mole sweats but keeps mouth shut.  Next toe gets it.

 

   HELPER

One toe left on this foot, then, five more.  Talk.

 

Mole says nothing.  Helper nods, man continues.

 

   HELPER

A lot of my men died because of information you leaked.  Next we start cutting off toes.  Then, we start on the skin on your legs... Your balls are next.  Talk!

 

Man prepares to twist next toe, mole muffles sounds of anguish.  Helper nods, man backs away.

 

   HELPER

What do you got for us?

 

   MOLE

I was hired to join your organization they didn’t tell me who they are.  I only know the site that solicited the info.

 

   HELPER

Who let you in?

 

   MOLE

I found one of your aids, stole his identity and I killed him.

 

   THE MAN

Who?

 

   HELPER

We’ll find that out later.  I need this link so I can find out more info.  From now on you work for me forever or until you die.  I have specific tasks for you.  You are forever in my debt.  You can live but you can’t ever leave.  Okay?

 

Mole nods, Helper tosses him a rag.

 

   HELPER

Get him some treatment for his toes.  It’ll take some time but they’ll heal.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S TEMPORARY HOME - DEN   NIGHT

 

Mariel enters, finds Helper listening to headphones.

 

   MARIEL

You’re here, again?  Must be some good music--

 

   HELPER

--There she is.  It’s not music.  Some... stuff.  Under the circumstances how’s everything?

 

   MARIEL

We’re making it.  Um, I wanted to talk to you about something.

 

   HELPER

Okay.

 

   MARIEL

I was thinking.  You know these creeps are actually after me.  There’s no reason my family has to get hurt.

 

   HELPER

Yeah.  What are you thinking?

 

   MARIEL

Well, I was... well... I was thinking about maybe... I wanna get trained in all this stuff... ya know like Laney... But!  I need you to promise me that you will leave my family out of this, that they can have a normal life.  They’re getting old.  They don’t need to spend their golden years--

 

   HELPER

--‘Nuff said.  I am surprised.  I was giving up on the thought. What you said earlier made me realize that maybe everyone isn’t cut out for this lifestyle.  I guess I’ve been living it for most of my life I never thought about anything else.

 

   MARIEL

So, what are you saying?  You don’t want me to--

 

   HELPER

--Now, I didn’t say that.  I would... It would make it easier... You know what I’m gonna say.

 

   MARIEL

I mean isn’t there a way you could give them a new identity or something?

 

   HELPER

It’s funny you should say that.  I was thinking about your situation.  Since you’re ready to be grafted in, I think I have something better.  Yeah, I think we can do this.

 

   MARIEL

What is it?

 

   HELPER

I’ll fill you in later.  Let me finish this.  I’ll, uh, I’ll get working on that immediately.

 

INT. MARIEL’S PARENT’S TEMPORARY HOME - DEN   NIGHT

 

Helper dials phone.

 

   HELPER

Yeah.  She’s ready.  Yeah.  She’s really ready.  You know I didn’t think she had it in her.  She really surprised me.  She’s coming along fine.  You should see her.  I, uh, I gotta set the plan in motion.  I know... I will... The smaller the body counts the better, yeah.  I’ll be in touch.

 

INT. MANSION - MEETING ROOM   DAY

 

Helper and aids assemble.

 

   HELPER

I don’t want any body counts on either side if possible.  I need everyone at the posts assigned to them.  This is what you signed on for.  The truth is some of us might not make it back.  Those not willing--

 

   AID

--We know.  We’re ready.  Let’s do it.

 

   HELPER

Good ta hear.  Let’s go.  I’ll be in touch.

 

INT. RADDISON HOTEL - MEETING ROOM   DAY

 

Helper and Right hand man meet with mole.  Helper hands mole an envelope.

 

   HELPER

Send this.  Make sure they get this.

 

RIGHT HAND MAN

Don’t screw with us!  Make this happen!

 

INT. RADDISON HOTEL - DARK MEETING ROOM   AFTERNOON

 

TWO MEN step into room, detectives.

 

   HELPER (O.S.)

I’ll be brief.  Take a look at these.

 

A person appears and drops a manila envelope on a table.  Detectives ruffle through information.  Helper speaks over loud speaker.

 

   HELPER (O.S.)

Someone’s attempting an assassination.  All the information you need about it, you now have.  It is up to you.  That is all.  Someone will show you out.

 

INT. WAREHOUSE   EVENING

 

A fierce gunfight takes place.  Mariel has really stepped up her game as an aid.

 

Goons penetrate and destroy a wall, search for retreating aids, but goons get picked off as they make their way through.

 

Helper searches for Mariel, locates her under fire, rescues her.  They race amidst gunfire to another room.  Goons lose more men.

 

The leader and a few goons make their way easily through a wall.

 

Mariel takes shots at a few goons, they retreat.  Leader fights his way to room, shoot aids dead, surviving aids retreat.

 

Leader sneaks closer.  Mariel and Helper continue fighting.  Helper scans for escape route, leader steps to doorway.

 

   HELPER

Mariel, it’s time.  Let’s go.

 

   MARIEL

Are we really gonna do this?

 

Helper nods.

 

Leader bursts in.  Goons fire at Mariel.

 

Disguised assassins interfere, wounding goons and leader, pushing them aside.

 

Assassins switch weapons and open fire on Mariel, Helper shoots, retreats, and takes cover.

 

Helper, goons watch bullets rip Mariel apart, blood spatters, saturating floor, assassins shoot up place before escaping.

 

Helper reproaches, disarms leader and his goons, cuffs them to a fixture.  They look on as Mariel’s body lay in a pool of blood.

 

SIRENS SOUND.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   MORNING

 

BEDROOM

 

Female hands fold clothes and pack them in a suitcase.  Reveal Mariel closing suitcase.  She looks around, walks out.

 

INT. RANDALL PARK APARTMENTS - MARIEL’S PLACE   MORNING

 

LIVING ROOM

 

She scans vacant apartment, exits.

 

INT. SHOOTING GALLERY   MORNING

 

A target zooms toward frame.  It stops.  Bullets riddle circles around center of target.

 

Mariel, shooter responsible, stands with gun in hand.  She resets target, it zooms backwards.

 

She performs same task, this time shooting circle around first circle of bullets.

 

Mariel, at ease, mulls over her handy work.

 

EXT. SHAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL - SIDEWALK   MORNING

 

Mariel walks among a flurry of students, comes face to face with two of her own.  They don’t recognize her.  She pays it no mind.

 

INT. STARBUCKS   NOON

 

Three teachers from earlier, Cora, Val, and Cindy stand together in line.   Mariel stands behind them.

 

   VAL

Oh, shut up and give me some change.

 

   CINDY

Hold on, little old lady.

 

Cora laughs.

 

   VAL

Get a life you hag.

 

   CINDY

Get a man.

 

Cora laughs.

 

   CINDY

Don’t be like little miss fair Mare.

 

Mariel hears her name, stares at them.

 

   CORA

She won’t.  Nervous breakdowns ain’t her thing.

 

   VAL

Neither is living in a dream world.

 

   CINDY

 (teasingly)

A fantasy!

 

Mariel looks on, insulted.

 

   CORA

 (to Val)

Go!  Your next.

 

   VAL

Don’t rush me.  I’m going.  Don’t rush.

 

   CINDY

 (to Val)

Gosh! You are such an old lady.

 

   VAL

Give me some change.

 

   CINDY

I don’t have any.

 

   CORA

Don’t look at me.  I’m just tagging along.

 

   MARIEL

Here.

 


   VAL

Well, thank you very much.

 

Mariel nods.

 

Teachers get their food and drink.  Val reaches out to repay Mariel.

 

   MARIEL

Naw.  Don’t worry about it.  It’s on me.

 

   VAL

Are you sure?  Well, thanks, again.

 

   MARIEL

Don’t mention it.

 

Teachers look at Mariel as if they know her.  Mariel looks right at them indiscreetly.

 

   CORA

She looks familiar.

 

   CINDY

Maybe.  She was nice, though.

 

Teachers seat themselves.  Behind them an unstable looking man darts up with a rifle.

 

   MAN

Alright!  Alright!

 

Patrons scream, including teachers.

 

   MAN

Shut the f**k up!

 

Man makes his way to register.  Patrons at door try to leave.

 

   MAN

I wish you would, I’ll blow yo’ f****n’ heads off, b***h!!  The f**k in here!!

 

Man passes Mariel who’s at register waiting.  He screams at cashier.

 

   MAN

You know what it is, hoe!  Open it!  Open it!!  Don’t f**k wit’ me!

 

Cashier struggles with register.

 

   MAN

Hurry ‘dis s**t up!

 

Mariel doesn’t budge, he notices.

 

   MAN

Gimme some room, b***h!  ‘Less you f****n’.

 

   MARIEL

 (acting)

I’m sorry I...

 

She snatches her gun from holster, smashes his wrist a few times, he drops gun.

 

She stomps his toe, patrons look on in awe.  Mariel spins a kick to his throat landing him on the counter.  She stabs his penis with her gun.

 

MARIEL

You want it?  You want it, huh?  How bad do you want it, baby?  I’d really like to give it to ya!

 

 (to cashier)

911?

 

Cashier hurries to phone, struggles, dials.

 

Teachers look on in amazement, search each other, speechless.

 

EXT. RESTAURANT   NOON

 

Police car tires screech to a halt, cops storm in.

 

INT. RESTAURANT   NOON

 

A couple patrons hold down man, cops take over, haul him off.

 

Mariel grabs her food and drink and sneak off.  Teachers fixed on her still trying to figure out her identity.

 

INT. ANOTHER MANSION - LIVING ROOM   AFTERNOON

 

Mariel’s mom hugs her.  Her Dad kisses her.  She embraces him.

 


   MARIEL

You guys don’t ever have to worry about a thing.  They’re gonna take good care of you here.

 

   MOM

I’m just glad it’s over.

 

   MARIEL

 (nods)

Hmmm.  I’ll come back.  I gotta go.

 

   DAD

Be good, baby girl.

 

Mariel opens door, smiles, and exits.

 

Parents watch Mariel get into a white limo.  Mariel looks back one more time.

 

INT. MANSION - BEDROOM   AFTERNOON

 

Mariel looks out window.  Helper walks in.

 

   HELPER

We all set?

 

   MARIEL

Sure.  Well, this is it, huh?

 

   Helper

What else is there?  Well, there is something.  But, first thing’s first.

 

   MARIEL

What?

 

Helper slaps an envelope on her suitcase.

 

   HELPER

Closure.

 

He hugs her, kisses her cheek, steps out.  Mariel takes envelope, opens, snatches out a letter.  It’s a letter from Laney, she reads, strolls out into hallway.

 

HALLWAY

 

Mariel’s eyes scan letter.  Sentimental music plays.

 

   LANEY (v.o.)

Throughout one’s life are journeys.  On these journeys decisions must be made.  From these come circumstances and events.  If you are reading this then you are ready for the truth.  You may be startled.  You may be upset.

 

   MARIEL

What is this?

 

Down hallway, door opens.  She opens her trench coat revealing her gun, peers down hall, walks toward noise.

 

   MARIEL

Who’s there?

 

Figure walks closer.  Mariel tries to make out silhouette.  Figure continues toward her.  It looks like the man who offered to help her in alley when this thing got started.

 

   MARIEL

Who are you?

 

   FIGURE

A friend.

 

Mariel continues toward figure.  Figure steps into bright light beaming through window blinding our view.

 

Mariel’s eyes widen as if discovering a secret.

 

Dark areas of hallway conceal his identity but sunlight beams on him, again, as he continues toward her.

 

Now, we see his identity.  It’s him.  It’s Laney.  Mariel’s eyes water.  He reaches out and touches her.

 

   LANEY

Hi, Mare.

 

The letter falls like a leaf.  Laney bends to retrieve it.

 

   LANEY

You didn’t finish.

 

He examines letter.  Mariel stays fixed on him.

 

EXT. MANSION   AFTERNOON

 

Helper approaches elderly couple escorted toward him.  He greets them with a kiss.  They embrace him.  DIALOGUE In Spanish with subtitles.

 

   ELDERLY WOMAN

Thank you.  Thank you.

 

   HELPER

You’re very welcome.  Step right on up here.  We’ll show you to your room.

 

INT. MANSION   AFTERNOON

 

He tours them. Dialogue still in Spanish with subtitles.

 

   HELPER

This is your waiter and your housekeeper, this way and I’ll show you your new place.

 

   ELDERLY MAN

This is beautiful.  I like it.

 

   ELDERLY WOMAN

It’s marvelous.

 

   HELPER

It’s one of the best we’ve got.  Now, it is yours.  We welcome you here.  Oh, I almost forgot.  Come with me.  I have to show you one more thing.

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   AFTERNOON

 

HALLWAY

 

 

Mariel weeps. He wipes her tears, kisses her face.  He hugs her with one arm and finishes letter with other hand.

 

   LANEY

...But through it all I was there for you.  I never left you nor forsook you.  For, I loved you.  I never meant you any pain.  I hope that you can forgive me, Mar--

 

--She hugs him tight.  She grabs letter, tosses it.

 

   LANEY

I never wanted to subject you to this, love.  I-- 

 

--Mariel kisses his face.

 

   LANEY

You know I love you.

 


   MARIEL

Yes.  Don’t you ever leave me!

 

He smiles, lifts her up and kisses her lips.

 

INT. MANSION - FIRST FLOOR   AFTERNOON

 

ELEVATOR HALLWAY

 

Helper escorts elderly couple to elevator they continue in Spanish with subtitles.

 

   ELDERLY WOMAN

So, what’s next?

 

   HELPER

Next?  You live.

 

   ELDERLY MAN

We are free.  We are truly free.

 

   HELPER

Free.

 

   ELDERLY MAN

How can we ever repay you?

 

   HELPER

No need.

 

   ELDERLY WOMAN

He is glory.  Glory!  Glory!

 

She points up as if to the heavens.  Helper points as well.  We go beyond their fingers, through elevator ceiling to

 

INT. MANSION - SECOND FLOOR   AFTERNOON

 

HALLWAY

 

At a distance we see Mariel carried in Laney’s arms.  In slow motion, he spins her.  We come closer, spinning continues.  Closer still, spin finishes on Mariel’s smiling tear waxed face, Laney kissing her cheek.  Her smiling face fills frame.

 

WHITE WASH.

 

THE END

© 2014 Cristano Law


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on November 29, 2014
Last Updated on November 29, 2014
Tags: sniper, murder, hero, crime, criminal, drama, kill, killer, lover, secret, society, fighter

Author

Cristano Law
Cristano Law

Shaker Heights, OH



About
I am an aspiring writer hoping to influence, incite, educate, and entertain through screenplays and short stories. more..