The Man

The Man

A Story by Rose Hagerty
"

"It's okay, I'm back."

"

Snow fell, softly blanketing the road in a fluffy white coat. I watched her as she sat there crouching in the snow waiting for the puttering sound of a car or the rhythmic tap of boots. She stared off into the road, just waiting in the soft silence of the falling snow. I did not call for her, for I knew she wouldn’t move. She was waiting for the man and she would wait, however long it would take.

The man first took her in when she was tiny and small. She was weak and helpless. She had been left on the side of the road, ragged, barely clothed and skinny. Her own parents didn’t love her and left her as soon as they could. She was alone in the world and I’m sure she knew that if the man hadn’t found her she would have perished. She didn’t have much time left, so the man made a decision to become the caretaker and father of her. The man gave her a home, and wrapped her in a soft blanket. He gave her warm milk and honey before bed and gave her hugs and told her stories by the fireplace. Eventually they became so close that no one could separate them.

The man was old and alone before she found him. She gave the man company on cold nights and rested on his shoulder. The old man would then pat her on the head and tell her that he loved her and she would agree to never leave the man. When the weather got cold and the man could barely walk because of the chill that settled into his old bones she would guide him to a chair and sit beside him.

Every morning when the man left for work she followed him out the door calling and pining for the man to stay, but the man told her.

“I have to go to work, it’s my job. It helps me pay to feed and clothe both of us, but don’t worry I’ll be back. Just wait for the sound of my car and you'll know it’s me. I will be back.”

So she would wait for the man, until the sun fell and the road became quiet except for the put put put sound the man’s car would make pulling into the driveway. The man would grab her in his arms crying out, “I’m back, it’s okay now.”

Her face would light up and she would follow the man through the door and he would cook a huge meal and give half of it to her.

But one day the man was late. The roads were slippery with wet snow and the man was too old to be driving so late. The man had been doing this for so long that he forgot how careless he was being. He hit an icy patch and tried to regain the wheel, but swerved and hit a tree.

We found him too late, tried to pry the car open, but it was too cold and too difficult. The man was gone before the ambulance even got there.

I know she won’t listen. Others have already tried to tell her.

“The man is gone.”

“Don’t stand out here in the snow you’ll freeze.”

But she won’t listen. She thinks the man is coming home. She made the man a promise and the man made a promise to her. So she waits by the road where the man first found her. Her fur wet and her paws cold, crouching in the snow. She listens for the put put put of the man’s car or his big clunky boots two sizes two big. She waits for the man to get out of his car to run over to her, pat her on the head and say.

“It’s okay, I’m back.”

© 2017 Rose Hagerty


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it really. Nice work ^_^

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ooooooooooh, it was a dog. Good one. :)
That had a really sad ending, it was well-written.
I only have one suggestion, in the first paragraph you used the word 'soft' twice to describe a couple aspects of the snow. I would suggest using a different adjective-- the second time around to avoid sounding repetitive.
But great job, Rose. I love how you portray such a beautifully sad form of loyalty. I really liked it.
Keep up the good work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This made me feel so bad for her! I had no idea she was an animal until the end, you gave her such human-like emotions. This is a great story, and it can't wait to read more of your writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 19, 2017
Last Updated on July 19, 2017
Tags: short story, family, sadness, loss

Author

Rose Hagerty
Rose Hagerty

Ottawa, Canada



About
I'm an artist, but I also enjoy writing as well. I usually enjoy writing random short stories and writing pieces but I also like writitng poetry as well. more..

Writing
Dust Dust

A Story by Rose Hagerty