Iceland tour - Sailing from Harwich

Iceland tour - Sailing from Harwich

A Story by Wild Rose

Iceland Tour 2 Sailing from Harwich


From Woodhall Spa we drove to Polstead just twelve miles from Harwich docks.

Passing through Thetford Forest the radio gave a warning of severe travel disruption at Thetford. We pulled in to the large parking area; a trailer full of straw bales had overturned, two cars were underneath with people inside, this was an appropriate time to have lunch.

A ladt pulled in beside us looking in a distressed state; she had two young children with her and had juust picke up the warning, she was on her way to join her husband at an American air base and the children were getting bored with sitting in the car.

We sorted out an alternative route, with town names and road numbers.

Half an hour later the announced that the road was now passable but not fully clear.


There was nothing special there; except it was close to the docks, we had no intention to drive around the area sightseeing.

The following morning was spent in cleaning the camper and aranging things readt for the overnigh trip. Once the vehicles were secured on the car deck you were unable to access them until you dock the next morning, so anything required overnight had to be taken with you.


We had to be out of the camp site by noon leaving five hours to cover the twelve or so miles.

The after noon was spent watching the sea birds and boats on the River Stour

Five o'clock saw us by the loading gate. It was all locked up not a person in sight. We parked up away from the gate but still in sight of them, until more people turned up.

Cars; motorbikes returning from the Isle of Mann TT races. Three motorhomes; we joined them in all there were seventeen units including two caravans.

Loading began at six o'clock. Documents were checked, We were issued with a boarding card to put in the window, then moved to an holding area.

Car were being taken straight on to the boat, they had to go up a steep ramp onto a higher deck, then the ramp was raised and vehicles parked underneath, caravans and trailers were next followed by motorhomes and trucks.

We were checked to ensure our gas bottles were turned off and a liguid gas sticker applied to the door enclosing the bottle. Esure you apply the parking brake, lock all doors. Do not turn your alarm on.

Now to find our cabin.

Staff were positioned in prominent places "Up two decks"

Up two flights of stairs "Down here on the right, number 305, swipe your card in the card reader on thr wall by the door that is your key, Have a pleasent journey"


Inside two single beds with a locker between; quilts, a TV; Shower/toilet by the side of the entrance door.




"Lets go and find some food and a drink"

We collected the cameras and set out in serach of food. "The restraunt doesn't open until we are out at sea, there is a snack bar where you can buy sandwiches and drinks"


A selection of sandwiches, a sealed tub of take away trifle and drinks cans we move to the forwads facing lounge where we find others from the party with seats looking out at the pointed end

Now nine o'clock and we can hear the hum of the ships engines; we are under way.

The tanoy sounds "This is you captain speaking; Welcome aboard! The water tight doors are sealed and we are under way; The weather for tonight is forecast to be fair with little swell and little wind. We will shortly be testing the emergency alarm that consists of seven short blasts on the ships horn, followed by the horn being left on; If you here this agin you will make your way to the nearest assmbly point do not go back to your cabin to retreive any thing; Have a pleasent journey; The emegency alarm will sound shortly"

After a few seconds the horn sounded, we counted them seven the a longer one.




We travelled slowly down the river towards the open sea, passing marker buoys around some underwater works (Like land road works) someone said.

A container ship passed across our bow its decks loaded high with containers - "Where are they going with all those containers - what is in them - they are so high you would think it would be top heavy and capsize" - were the remarks


Link: Copy and paste this link into your browser to read the accompanying poem Container Ship 


https://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Cumbrialad/1967152/


© 2019 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

two cars with people inside buried under hay bales ... time to have lunch :)))))))))))) cracks me up Wild One ... the closing photo of the sunset makes life worth while says i! thanks for sharing your trip .. going to check the poem out now .. g'day to ya mate!
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Ah this ship was like a bar with ne beer
An overnight ferry no entertainment cept a dingy bar.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))



Reviews

My main comment is that I was waiting for the main course of the Iceland trip. Your starters were interesting and there was the excitement of the accident. I must just say that it needs some careful proofreading - e.g. missing letters - e.g. esure, forwads, picke. Doesn't your writing software pick these up?
Well done though, I have neglected my travel adventures as a source of writing.
All the best.
Alan

Posted 4 Years Ago


When you share some traveling experience like this, it amazes me how many details you remember about every trip. You show a slice of life that most people never even think about & I find your travel writings always a fascinating & refreshing share! Thanks for opening the world up to me since I'm disabled & housebound (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Thank you Margie [The memories return with the pictures (Later about that)
I have some idea o.. read more
barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I don't use a scooter. I use a wheelchair indoors & I use my wobbly legs outdoors, since the terrain.. read more
two cars with people inside buried under hay bales ... time to have lunch :)))))))))))) cracks me up Wild One ... the closing photo of the sunset makes life worth while says i! thanks for sharing your trip .. going to check the poem out now .. g'day to ya mate!
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Ah this ship was like a bar with ne beer
An overnight ferry no entertainment cept a dingy bar.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2019
Last Updated on October 6, 2019

Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing