Forbidden Planet

Forbidden Planet

A Story by Cypress Restored
"

This plant did not belong here..

"

This plant was not designed to grow here. 

The leaves were a pale purple and a deep maroon flower in a triangular shape stood out from the middle. The planet was seemingly deserted except for this one plant in the midst of the tundra a pale yellow. The ruins of the city were still flickering with lights, neon and white, black and blue signs hailing news stories. The problem was a very deep one as the crew stood staring out at the bleak landscape.

 What happened here?

 There was no answer the more hours and days that went by, that didn't center around the plant being the only source of life left. Deeming it poisonous, they sent lab subjects and handled the parts protectively but nothing came back positive. Neutral, normal pollen output, was the consensus. 

  The team walked around the plant dubbed "Sensitive" and spiraled out from among the circle, putting together clues. The further from the plant they got, the more devastation to the planet became apparent. The air was stale and devoid of oxygen, remnants of vegetation lay scattered as if burned by acid. Everyone of the team had to wear a mask and a hazard suit to be on the planet J-39's surface. The sky was a purple color, that turned fuchsia as the sun set.

 So many toxic liquids lay scattered about the surfaces of the concrete like buildings. Whatever happened centered on Sensitive. Ships landed and came to and fro for years, until they discovered that the plant was not toxic to them, but toxic to the corpses that weren't decaying. 

The flower bloomed and kept on blooming. 

They left the planet and put a restriction on it with its limitations for Sensitive. The mystery faded away along with the museum like graveyard behind it.

© 2018 Cypress Restored


Author's Note

Cypress Restored
This was apart of a timed challenge. I do not plan to continue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

53 Views
Added on March 26, 2018
Last Updated on March 26, 2018
Tags: sci-fi, science fiction, short story, poison

Author

Cypress Restored
Cypress Restored

Caldwell, ID



About
I am a woman in her 30s, a mother to 2, and a friend to almost anyone. I write more than I read. I'm more of a fanfiction author, but I do have some of my own works. Thanks for stopping by more..

Writing