An Old Lover’s Tale

An Old Lover’s Tale

A Poem by DM25
"

I sit to remember the days I spent with a girl I loved. I realize how much I miss her now, we could never get enough time with each other and I never made "the move". Here are my written regrets.

"

O’ How I lust the love I never lost!

And how I miss the girl I never loved,

O’ How I’d love her again at all costs!

And how I’d wish her never left unloved,

 

As I’ve before done with heavy regret,

Out of simple cowardness, her I lost!

And how I missed the girl I never met,

O’ But tis me who now suffers the cost!

 

Lonely love lived forever unconfessed,

Sourly suppressed and in darkness submerged,

Two hearts deeply troubled and in unrest

Joined by hands, and by spoken love: Diverged.

© 2017 DM25


Author's Note

DM25
In this poem I play with the words "lust" and "lost". This poem was supposed to be written much like a sonnet without truly being one, notice the last 2 lines are missing. Yet this was simply my stab at looking at the past and reflecting. The word loved is also using with a double meaning. The second line says "the girl I never loved" but this means I never was ABLE to love, yet still loved her. the 3rd line of the second stanza also says "And how I missed the girl I never met." In this case, missed also has a double meaning. Missed as in, I missed my chance at having and being with her and missed as in how much she is missed in the future. This line also talks about how I never met her, this is contrary to facts but this refers to how I could never really become as intimate as I would have wanted. "Lonely love lived forever unconfessed" This refers to how there was a lot of tension between two people who loved each other, yet it is "lonely love" because both sides do not give signs of other each other's affection, this also refers to the second line of the second stanza. "Joined by hands, and by spoken love: Diverged" this meaning these two people were always together yet because neither side was brave enough to really talk about love, nothing was ever official and nothing was ever achieved. Finally the two people separate even though both sides being in love.

Thank you so much for reading. I do not know if the quality is very good yet I tried to really put in effort to make it sounds a bit nice at least and I made sure each line had 10 syllables, yet these are not written in iambic pentameter sadly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on June 19, 2017
Last Updated on June 19, 2017
Tags: love, regret, missing a person, lost love, melancholy, sonnets, rhyme, rhyming, sad, poetry, poem, lust, lost, girl, wishes, lesson

Author

DM25
DM25

Northbrook, IL



About
Really looking for real help on my poetry and writing in general. I believe writing is very important and it is life changing. The reason I write is because sometimes I like taking risks and then the .. more..