Heights

Heights

A Story by SheDreamsInTheSun


The little girl kept her toes pointed, “like a ballerina”; she remembered she had to look graceful, she lifted her chin and straightened her back while she walked in a straight line passed the row of tents. “If I reach the end” she thought. “Then I wont have to try again” her face grew serious, she'd been at this for days and she was sure that this was it. She wouldn't lose her balance again. She tried her best to keep her feet on the line her dad had drawn on the dry, parched floor “almost there” she said, out loud this time. “Just a few more feet”. She suddenly heard a crash, followed by the unmistakable pitch of a frantic woman's scream. “Oh no” she whispered. But before she could finish the last few steps she was struck by something, it was light, but it had been enough for her to trip and fall out of her position, she was on the floor now, and as she looked up her eyes met Momo, “The world's most amazing monkey”.

She wanted to scream, and curse and kick, but as Momo's stare turned apologetic she couldn't help but smile at him, he had probably wandered out of his cage and into the eyes of an unsuspecting guest.

She let the monkey onto her shoulders and ran away from the scene. She hoped no one had seen her, they didn't need any more trouble. As she ran she took it all in, as she did every time she walked around her home. She watched women in glittery dresses walked in and out of the main tent, she saw horses and zebras, monkeys, and every other animal she could possibly remember. She saw men in suits and canes, with tall hats and bright accessories.

She wandered inside, and she marveled, once again, at the acrobats. The one at the very top of the ceiling, with a bright yellow dress, balancing herself on thin rope, was her mother. The little girl's face lit up as she saw her make it across the seemingly dangerous rope and onto the ground, bowing as the crowd grew louder. She knew that this was what she was meant to do, to walk across the air like her mother, to have them cheer for her, too, to have Momo up there with her, but first, she had to make it to the end of the tents, without losing her balance.

© 2011 SheDreamsInTheSun


Author's Note

SheDreamsInTheSun
I hope you enjoy it :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on September 5, 2011
Last Updated on December 31, 2011

Author

SheDreamsInTheSun
SheDreamsInTheSun

FL



About
Hello :) My name is Day and I hope you enjoy my writing! I haven't shared it with many people so try to be as critical as possible! I want to get better and, hopefully, write a book someday. more..

Writing