The Trip

The Trip

A Story by Daniel Eakin

I hike through the woods with the fir trees, pines near and far, clothed in moss, giving a sense of mystery.  While I cautiously step around roots and rocks, also take in the sense of serenity.  I pace myself with comfort and enjoyment in mind, yet still somewhat briskly.  I focus upon the enjoyment of the nature around me, not so much upon the exercise.

Yesterday, I had been in the office doing filing and phone work.  It seems so distant now though, as I traverse to a small waterfall.  Its gently churning cascading waters are singing to me.  I do not think of the office, but just to compare the time now and the time then.

I stroll through the forest until I come into an open field-like area.  In the distance are mountains, which appear in a blue-purple haze.  Tall pine and fir trees border the surrounding woods.  I continue on my peaceful journey, yet there is something, or may be something, which is not quite right.  There is something perchance in the distance.  It is something about which I would be cautious.

What is it I could have glimpsed?  There is now some unease as I quicken my pace.  The former mystery seems now more foreboding.  What do I not have?  I furrow my brow as I realize that I am not prepared for this, which is the unknown.

© 2013 Daniel Eakin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have read all three work you have posted. You are a good writer, but there seems to be something missing from your writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like how the story took a turn at the end. A lot of people are afraind of the "unknown" and so a lot of people can relate to this. Excellent imagery and writing style. Short and easy to follow

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 26, 2013
Last Updated on February 26, 2013

Author

Daniel Eakin
Daniel Eakin

Kirkland, WA



About
Greetings. My name is Daniel Eakin. I prefer to be a more formal and polite Christian gentleman. I have written poetry and a few short stories in the past. I also have Asperger's Syndrome. It is .. more..

Writing