The Long Walk Home

The Long Walk Home

A Story by Daniel Eakin
"

The long departure of a man from a haunted house.

"

The winds blow through the bare skeletons of trees and throughout the tall dry grass.  The hills roll down to an ocean cliff.  I hasten my pace along the narrow dirt path, with dry grass around me.  I pull my coat tightly against the northern winds and hasten my pace.  I do not wish to remember that night.  I do not even dare to turn my head to even gaze at that house.  I just keep going away from it. 

 

I cannot cannot forget the house nor the dreadful wandering which lead me to it.  The moon was round and pale that night, blanketed by black clouds.  It was hours since I found that I had lost my way on what was supposed to be a simple nature walk.  What I cannot understand was that house.  It was in pristine condition when I first saw it, spare for the grounds, with their weeds.  Furthermore, that state extended into the house itself.  However, with the gaze of mine upon that house now, which caused me to avert strongly my eyes from it, I beheld a rotting wooden shell of collapsings tiles and shattered glass.  I could not even close my eyes in that house, despite the midnight hour looming.  My pace quickens now more as I remember the scratching sound and, the screams that pierced the halls. 

 

Now all my focus is upon that I can see my home from here with the sun rising in the sky.  I run towards my home and burst inside.  Then, I hear a scratching noise.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2013 Daniel Eakin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good ending, enjoyed the read...wasn't sure if it was an insane asylum or just haunted. Nicely pen'd.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Interesting opening. Would like to see more. If you're interesred, check out some of my horror sometime. They're on here. Keep up the work

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 5, 2013
Last Updated on March 5, 2013

Author

Daniel Eakin
Daniel Eakin

Kirkland, WA



About
Greetings. My name is Daniel Eakin. I prefer to be a more formal and polite Christian gentleman. I have written poetry and a few short stories in the past. I also have Asperger's Syndrome. It is .. more..

Writing