Kiss the rain

Kiss the rain

A Story by Danielle.W
"

I tend to listen to songs and then thing of little stories in my head to match them, this is just one example of that :)

"

                She is dancing.

                The curls of her own soil tinged hair bounce and spin in sync with the tresses at the bottom half of her white sundress. The sunlight hides behind a blackened sky, but the girl remains unconcerned as she continues to move. Ever graceful, ever innocent, she is a child without bearing the young ages of one. This beautiful woman belongs in the sunlight; it’s clear that she is out of place by being here in the miserable weather accompanied by her sun kissed flesh and honey tinged eyes.

                Yet she continues to dance, her arms lifting in tune to a song that goes unheard. She is the only one who knows what is playing; the only one who exists in this secluded spot.

                Her eyes close as the sky above her explodes in smashes of thunder.  If she were to glance up at the sky, she would notice the eerie darkness located within an immaculate circle. The meadow she is swaying in is perfectly rounded, and framed by tall pine trees. It is just large enough to seem natural, but also small enough that possible onlookers would miss it. In this isolated spot, the air above her echoes with loaded emphasis.

                She pauses in her footing and re-opens her delicate eyelids. Her focus does not turn up toward the sky, but instead in the opposite direction. The bright yellow wildflowers she had just pirouetted around were cutely resting under her form. The woman bends down slowly as if not to startle the blooming florae and then reaches out a gentle hand to pluck one from the ground.

                Seemingly pleased by what she has done, the woman flashes a sugary smile and commences her dancing with the flower gripped in her right hand. After a few steps into her personal choreography, the clouds swell and then release a few introduction raindrops. The weather does not faze the woman; in fact it does the opposite. Her twirls stop, but she turns herself upward to the sky, welcoming the impending downpour. Her face looks even happier than it did seconds ago, and when she begins to lose herself again in her steps, the movements are lovelier.

                The rain shows no mercy, without any dramatic build up the droplets plummet to the earth’s surface with purpose. Millions of gravity powered tears leak form the sky and cover the area of the meadow. As the rain hits the girl, she lifts her arms above her head to bask in it.

                Moments later she drops her flower and turns her attention to the other ones at her feet; she crouches down and appears to be deciding which one to grab next.

                Because it is behind her back, she can’t see what is happening to the flower she left behind her. The violent rain beats down on it, crumbling the buttery petals till they shrivel. Inexplicably though, the drops stop annihilating the abandoned flower and instead they look as if they are sinking into the bloom. Each smash of water that connects with the flower is now falling into it, creating something that has the shape of the flower while possessing the make-up of water.

                The rain falls harder now; it crashes into the water blossom till it stops resembling any plants at all. The rain formation takes on a square shape before developing more detail. Before its new figure becomes identifiable, another square develops next to the existing one. The two formations start growing together, both looking like they are travelling upward. The rain seems to be targeting these objects fiercely, passionate about the task it has.

                The woman decides on a flower and finally turns around to witness the phenomenon that was happening behind her.

                She gasps once she sees the two creations in front of her, then immediately recognizes that the shapes are feet. The woman falls back and freezes herself in a state of shock. She is instantly engrossed by the happenings in front of her, she sits there and observers the rain growing calves above the feet. The water joins together after the thighs were formed, then continues up to the waist and so on. All the while, the woman remained still and irrevocably stunned.

                The structure’s details don’t look completely perfect. But from where the woman sits, she could tell that the rain formed the shape of a man. The petal she dropped earlier is now standing in front of her as an impossible water presence. With shaky limbs, she stands and reluctantly examines the rainy person in front of her. The face is blank, but there are indents in the appropriate places to show where the eyes and lips would be. There is no sign of any kind of hairstyle in the figure so the woman compares the shape to a mannequin in her mind.

                The figure reaches out an arm to the girl and she jumps back startled. Then the girl smiles because she sees that the figure is offering her a dance. Of all the strangeness that happens in this secret place, the girl knows that she herself is a weird being herself. Aware of her personal strangeness, the woman takes the hand of the rain and they dance.

                Now there are two people who can hear the unheard song. Or more correctly, there is a woman and the rain who are the ones listening. Together they sway, twirl, leap, and pirouette in perfect harmony. There isn’t a dance partner in the world who can fit so well with this beautiful and odd woman. This is the only chance she gets to have companionship in her peculiar little world and that thought immediately upsets her.

                She stops dancing with the rain and backs away suddenly, overcome by the knowledge that she was truly alone within her unreadable characteristics. Nobody in the world sees her she wishes they could, nobody in the world will ever know of this place she appears in.

                The rainy figure moves toward her and the woman shuts her eyes expectantly. Her cheek makes contact with the cool sensation of the watery lips of the creature. He lingers for a second prior to moving away from her and she allows herself to see again. She notices that the rain in now plummeting weakly, the clouds having let out all of their moisture. The rainy form sees it too and moves further away from her.

                The sunlight breaks through the clouds and warms the thick air around the two of them. The raindrops have turned into sprinkles, and the figure loses some of its mass. A trickle of water escapes from the woman’s eyes when she decides it’s time to say goodbye. Her soaked hair sticks to her and the elegant white dress now weighs much more on her body. She is aware of the new heaviness everything has because of the difficulty of her first movement. And as she crosses the rest of the small distance between her and the formation of rain, she feels bits of herself faltering as well.

                Now it is her turn to kiss his cheek. For one wild instant, she allows herself to imagine planting a kiss upon those concealed lips. Her heart gives a painful thud when she remembers how she is unable to bring herself to do such a thing and she settles for his cheek again. Soft as the fall of a feather, the kiss soaks into the rain just as the last drop falls from the sky. Her timing was just right. One moment she is with an impossible creation of nature and the next she stands there alone with a collection of water near her bare feet.

                A sad smile spreads across her face and then she transforms her features to a look of daring. With intensity plastered upon her face, she turns her gaze to the prodding sunlight. The woman inhales a shaky breath then crumbles to the ground as the rays overtake her. Every inch of her surface is blanketed by sunlight in a familiar way. It makes her uncomfortable knowing that soon she would not be able to be free to dance again for a long time.

                The greedy solar light engulfs her, brightening every aspect of the already sunny woman. It enters her, heats her, and then clothes her. All of her previous dampness vanishes and then for a brief moment she is on fire. Just as soon as she appears in this place from time to time, she departs again.

                Forever being a woman that belongs to the sun, that craves nothing less than to kiss the rain.

© 2012 Danielle.W


Author's Note

Danielle.W
I meant to do it is present tense, instead of the more proper had, did, or other past tenses. Just to make it feel more immediate

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on April 27, 2012
Last Updated on April 27, 2012

Author

Danielle.W
Danielle.W

Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada