The Wind Playing Tricks

The Wind Playing Tricks

A Story by Danny Metcalfe

EARLY ONE SUMMER MORNING, I was walking the dog down a country road. The eyes of the sun were not yet fully awake yet its light was awake enough, unlike my own eyes, which were tired and far from peaking. The green of the hedges and the yellow of the fields illuminated the morning air, which helped my tired eyes wash away the sleep from the night before. I let the dog off the lead, wiped my eyes, and walked on minding my own business, thinking about nothing except the countryside that was in front of me.
The dog sniffed the grass, some flowers, and the trunk of a tree. Another dog walker walked past, smiled, and said ‘’good morning’’. I mirrored back the smile and the ‘’good morning’’ without thinking about it and walked on still thinking about nothing except the countryside in front of me.
I walked on for a good 15 minutes after that; the dog enjoyed the aromas and I enjoyed the quiet of nature’s light. I rested for a short time; leaning against a wooden fence, staring out into the distance, admiring the wood and its mysteries.
It was at that point I noticed something in the corner of my eye. In the field, a deer was running, as if from something in a panic. I saw nothing but the deer. I turned away to see what the dog was doing and when I turned back in the direction of the deer, I saw what looked like a humanoid wolf with muscle like a bodybuilder, standing on two legs over the poor creature and tearing it apart. It was not a pretty sight and on top of the vicious attack, the humanoid wolf was not pretty either.
I put the lead back on the dog and ran off home as quickly as I could. I was unsure of what I had seen. My eyes were tired, so what I thought I had seen may have been due to tiredness. Either way, I rang the local dog pound, thinking some feral dog may have gotten loose, yet they did not take me seriously. I then rang the police, who seemed to also not take me seriously, yet said they would come out and investigate.
Two policemen came out in the evening. I took them to the spot where I had seen the humanoid wolf. At this time, the eyes of the sun were fully alert, and the field was the better for it, yet there was an uneasiness; as if something dark had crossed it. We walked across the field; the wind hummed gently and I felt jittery, unlike the policemen who I think thought it was all ridiculous.
We walked near to the edge of the wood.
‘’Well, there’s no sign of anything…let’s make our way back’’ one of the policemen said.
Suddenly, there was a rustle from the edge of the wood and the sound of sticks breaking. I looked toward the sound and saw nothing. The policemen became more alert, looked, and saw nothing.
‘’Just the wind playing tricks’’ one of the policemen said.
At that moment, in a flash, we all saw a huge wolf-like creature charging out of the woods. All of us vaulted up in terror, frozen, unsure which way to turn. I began to run as one of the policemen got their Taser out and as the wolf-like creature got close enough, they shot the beast with an electric shock. The creature howled in mild pain and retreated back into the woods.
Afraid of what they had just seen, the policemen called for backup, giving them a warning to bring weapons that kill.   

That night the two policemen and their backup went into the woods in search of the wolf-like creature. The backup that arrived did not seem to believe the description that was given to them of the beast and were hesitant to trust it.

I waited in my van as they ventured in search of the monster. After an hour, it began to rain, heavily. The sound of it hitting the van was comforting yet unnerving, sometimes feeling like soft cushioned taps, and other times like large claws scratching the outside.

I heard nothing for what seemed a long while; until I heard gunshots and the howl of the wolf-like creature. I was expecting the policemen and their backup to return with the body of the beast; yet as the night went on, nothing. All I heard was howls every now and then, which sent shivers all over my body.  I was too scared to endeavour outside, drive off or to fall asleep. I was frozen in fear. I stayed awake all night until the morning arrived and more police turned up. I found out the policemen and their backup were all found brutally devoured, ripped apart limb from limb.

It was said in the paper hair was found at the scene, the DNA of which was from an animal unknown to science.

The locals do not believe in such fairy stories, and I tell no one what I witnessed, yet howls are still heard coming from the woods. The official narrative is: It is the wind playing tricks.


© 2023 Danny Metcalfe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on August 25, 2023
Last Updated on August 26, 2023

Author

Danny Metcalfe
Danny Metcalfe

United Kingdom



About
I am a writer, poet and playwright. All works are first drafts. My favorite writers are: Arthur Rimbaud, William S Burroughs, Clarice Lispector, Robert Walser, Julio Cortazar, Mikhail Bulgakov,.. more..

Writing