Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
It's all in how you see things

It's all in how you see things

A Story by Danielle Khairallah
"

This came up when I remembered an old school project that made me think a lot at the time.

"
He found the notebook by total accident, while searching around in the attic. It appeared to be quite old, of at least a decade. The name of his mother was written on the black leather cover. Hesitantly, he opened it, only to find that it�s his mother�s old diary. He thought twice before turning to the second page, then, out of curiosity, started reading. After a while, his mother joined him in the attic, unaware of what he had been reading.
-So that�s why I�m here�that�s my reason?!
-Peter, what are you talking about�Oh no where did you find this?
-You never told me!
-Honey I�m so sorry! I couldn�t find the words to tell you such a thing, and I knew that you�d be outraged! All these principles you stand by�
-I don�t care! You should�ve let me know, it�s my right!
He grasped the notebook tightly and stormed out the attic.
-Peter, wait!
Katherine rapidly went after her son, but he had already left the house, leaving the front door wide open. She went out into the garden but couldn�t find him anywhere.
-Mum, are you aright??
-Jason! It�s your brother! He..he�
Katherine burst in tears, throwing herself on her twenty-year old son�s shoulder.
-What�s wrong with Peter, tell me! He said that, holding his mother hesitantly in his arms.
-My old diary! He read it�and he found out!
Jason was unable to speak. Now that Peter knew about this, how would he react to his older brother from now on?

*********************


Peter sat by the river, his favorite spot in the village he lived in. He spent many fun times with his brother there during his childhood. His mother�s diary was still open at that page, and he kept reading it again and again, just to make sure this wasn�t just a dream, or even a nightmare.
�Monday, June 21th.
The doctors finally found an egg that can match Jason�s bone marrow. I know we still have hope for him to survive this terrible Leukemia!�

Peter read this, and quickly turned the pages to where this �egg� was born.
�Thursday, March 14th.
Peter was born last week, on March 6th. The doctor immediately extracted the necessary cells from the placenta, as well as cells from Peter�s bone marrow. The transplant is scheduled for next week. Hopefully Jason will get through this!�
It couldn�t be true! One thought relentlessly badgered Peter, the fact that he was only born because his bone marrow was needed!
�Tuesday, April 19th.
Jason is recovering well! The doctor confirmed that the transplant was a success, and that Jason can now lead a normal life. The treatment will last for a year��
Peter couldn�t keep on reading. Tears filled his eyes, a few of them dropping on the black ink and smudging the letters and words. He threw the diary aside and sobbed quietly by the river�


************************


Jason searched every possible place he could think of. He knew a few places that Peter liked to spend some time alone in. Finally, he arrived at the river, and saw his little brother sitting there sadly.
-Can I join you..?
Peter nodded without looking at his brother.
-Mum told me you fell upon some old written memories of hers. He said that while opening the diary to a page that Peter hadn�t bothered to read, slightly towards the end of the diary.
-Look here�
Jason pointed a paragraph, handing his brother the diary. Peter read passively, without saying a word.
�It�s amazing how Jason has gained all his energy back! He�s also gained weight, started eating and playing again. Our miraculous little Peter saved his brother from a painful death. I�m sure the bond between these brothers will be strong, thanks to this��
-Well..? What do you think?
-That I was only born cause my bone marrow matches yours.
-That�s it?
-I�ve read about this somewhere! They chose me..that means the other eggs were either left to die or kept for experiments!
-That may be true, but�
-That means it�s my fault they died! That also means if I didn�t match, I wouldn�t be here today! My life really has no meaning does it?!
-Peter, why are you looking at it this way?
-What do you mean?
-From my point of view, you�re the reason I�m alive today.
Peter looked questioningly at his brother. It wasn�t like he didn�t know that!
-Yeah, so?
-In other words, if you hadn�t come into the world, I probably would be dead. I owe you my life Peter, you are my reason! I never had the chance to thank you, because I would risk telling you the truth. But now I can! Everything you said is true, sadly true. But if you look at this from my point of view, you�d feel different. Can you try that?
-I..I think so!
-Peter, you saved my life, thank you, my brother.
Jason held his younger brother tightly in his arms, in a hug full of brotherly love.
-I want you to know how much I love you Peter!

More tears were filling Peter�s eyes again, but this time, tears of joy. The joy of having saved a life. The joy of being loved!

�The End�

© 2008 Danielle Khairallah


Author's Note

Danielle Khairallah
If there any mistakes, feel free to say so !

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Excellent.
I really like the two outlooks in this piece between the two brothers. Especially when Jason first finds out he's the reason for Peter's being alive. The way Peter thanks him in the end, for saving his life is great, opening Jason's eyes.
Well written story, very good characters full of life and compassion.
Very well done!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

woooooooooowwwwwww
i am just wooooooooooooowwwwwwwwed :P
Did u write that all by urself? hihi

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent.
I really like the two outlooks in this piece between the two brothers. Especially when Jason first finds out he's the reason for Peter's being alive. The way Peter thanks him in the end, for saving his life is great, opening Jason's eyes.
Well written story, very good characters full of life and compassion.
Very well done!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 11, 2008
Last Updated on August 11, 2008

Author

Danielle Khairallah
Danielle Khairallah

Ottawa, Canada



About
I'm a Registered Veterinary Technician and a Security Guard. With a crazy life, there is lots to write about. more..

Writing