Free

Free

A Story by Wynn Clara
"

Not Finished.... About Brac a girl who is cursed and a boy, Ajax, who has only his older brother left in the family. Meet and everything changes.

"

My name is Brac. It means free. And that’s what I want to be.

Free.

Wondering why I need to be free. (Besides the usual: controlling parents, boring town, boring people, etc.) I was cursed when I was born. The nurse who was caring for me had just lost her baby girl. I looked a lot like her. She hated my family and me for having a beautiful baby girl. (Me) So she cursed me.

Curse: (Romanian) După ce suficient de maturi pentru a simti zdrobire inimii, se toate cei dragi muri deaths.And oribil vei călători pe pământ pentru totdeauna ştiind că le-a ucis.

(English) Once old enough to feel the heart brokenness, shall all your loved ones die horrible deaths. And you shall roam the earth forever knowing you killed them.

Great way to start living, right? My family didn’t know, but I did. I tried so hard not to love them, knowing I would lose them all one day. It didn’t work. I loved them so much.

Everything was fine….. until the beginning of my 8th grade year. I was 13. It happened a week after my first day of school. My grandparents were in a car crash. 3 months after that most of my family died at a get together. Burned to death. All no more than ash. 2 ½ months after that everyone but my family in CO had died. 6 of us. That was all that was left.

Mid-February. We were doing okay. (Horrible. We could barely make mac & cheese.

Microwaveable kind.)

On my 14th birthday I became the last one of my family.

We were going out to eat for my birthday. I was deciding where to go when we got hit. Car running a red light. My parents were killed on impact. My sister had both lungs clasped and died not soon after my parents. My brother had brain damage. Skull crushed in so far it was almost flatten. He died seconds after my sister with no one to help or comfort him. I was badly broken. Skull injury, broken ribs, and more cuts and bruises than anyone could count. (Now if you’re good at math than you know that’s only 4 people dead. And I said that there was 6 of us.) My other brother was in jail and died a week before the crash. Jail fight broke loose and he got caught in the middle. (There’s 5. All dead. I’m the only one left.)

That was about 2 years ago. Now I’m going from place to place. Not really caring anymore. All I want is for this all to go away. I want to die. Then I’ll be free. Free to never ever be cursed. That’s all I want. That’s all I need. And that’s the only way I can break the curse. But first I’m going to see where my father grew up. He always talked how he missed it and how one day he would bring us all there so we could see it.(Well, I’ve been there before but I was little and don’t even remember it.) I’m going there right now. On a train. Even though I could have flown but I'm a minor. Buses and trains work the best, for me. Well, I’m only about an hour away from the station so we should be there soon. Then about an hour or 2 for the station. I’m going to live in the house my dad grew up in and I’m going to love it.

My name is Ajax. It means strong warrior. And I’m not a strong warrior. Never have been, never will.

My parents are gone. They got into as car crash about 6 months ago. I was in the car with them. They died on impact and I lived. 5 broken ribs, 1 clasped lung, a broken wrist and a few broken fingers and toes. I got out last month and am now going to my brother’s place to live. My brother never came to see me in the hospital. He blamed me for what happened and I do too. My brother is stuck with me ‘til I’m 18. 2 more years and I’m out.

My brother lives with his girlfriend in little house about an hour or 2 from the station. My mom grew up there and he wanted it after grandma and grandpa died, so he got it.

I’m on a train right now, going to the station. And there’s this girl about my age not too far for me and she’s kinda cute. Bet she has the life I want. Parents, brothers and sisters, a family that loves her. She’s got everything. I wish I had that life. I wish I could work up the nerve to go talk to her. She’s not looking at me because she’s too busy typing on her laptop like I am, but hey, what you going to do when you see a girl that’s as fine as she is. Can’t help it. I just want to go and say hi or go and sit next to her. Just so I can be by her. Man, I must be going crazy. Falling over a girl that I barely know. I don’t even know the color of her eyes, let alone her name. I’m going to die before we even get there.

She’s wearing jeans, very worn down, a gray graphic t-shirt with a black skull, a black hoodie, running shoes, also very worn down, she wears glass, that make her look cute and smart, she has auburn hair that looks a little red in the sunlight, and she has a hiking bag, that probably has clothes in it, along with a case for her laptop. She is also listening to her iPod and some pretty loudly ‘cause I can hear the rhythm form my seat. (I’m 2 rows down from her.) She bobs her head to the music and mouths the lyrics. Bet she has a beautiful voice. I would give anything to hear it. A moment of peace and happiness.(Man, I’m doing it again. Maybe I hit my head in the crash too. I have never fallen over a girl so fast. And trust me there were some pretty hot girls at my old school. But, they are just not cutting it to this girl. I’m going to do it. I’m going to go talk to her and ask for her name. I’m going to see her eyes and get to know her before we have to go our separate ways. Wish me luck. I’m definitely going to need it.)

Brac

I was just typing on my laptop when this boy comes and sits next to me. He’s tall, short clean cut brown hair, and these amazing gray eyes. He’s wearing jeans, they look new, a plain blue-gray shirt that makes his eyes shine, a blue hoodie, and he’s wearing black Vans.

He gives me a big smile, the most amazing smile I have ever gotten from anyone. I take out my earphones and close my laptop putting them in my bag, giving him my full attention. I put out my hand and he takes it, introducing himself.

“Hi, my name is Ajax.”

“Hello, my name is Brac.” I give my biggest and warmest smile. His smile gets even bigger. “So, what brought you to the seat next to mine.” I said still smiling.

“I can’t come and introducing myself to pretty girl.” I felt the heat rising in my cheeks. (I’m blushing ‘cause a boy called me pretty. I barely know him. Why am I blushing? He is cute though. Too bad I won’t ever see him again.) “Sorry, that was corny. I’m not very good at this, so sorry.” He said standing up to go back to his seat.

I grab his arm and he looked back at me. “You’re doing fine. Plus, I can tell you have talked to many girls just none that you’ve ever met on a moving train. Sit, I like the company.” (What am I doing? “I like the company.” What was that? I can’t get close to him. I should have never even talked to him. But how could I not he’s so cute. Look I have met a lot of boys but he takes number 1 in cuteness. What’s wrong with me?)

He sits back down and I can tell he’s not comfortable sitting by me. “So, where are you going? Going meet some family? Brother or sister? Or grandparents?” Maybe I was wrong. I really don’t want to tell him about my family ‘cause he’ll probably think I’m wired. You know what? What the heck I’m going to tell him. Then go from there.

My smile fades. “No, I don’t have any family. I going to go live in the house my dad grew up in. He always wanted the family to see it. My family is all dead. No one left but me. Grandparents were in a car crash, basically all the rest got killed in a fire, and my sister, brothers, and parents are dead. My older brother was in jail and a fought broke out. He was caught in the middle. The rest we were……… we were in a car crash. Parents killed on impact, older sister had both lungs clasped, and my little brother’s skull got crushed. I lived with minor injuries. I’m all that’s left.” I finish and I notice that I’m crying and I go to whip them away, but I don’t get there first. Ajax whips them away than pulls me to him. Comforting me saying that he’s sorry that he ever asked. His arms are around me and I feel safe. I don’t want to leave his arms. Ever.

I finally start to calm down. “Sorry. I usually don’t tell anyone that. And I just wish I could have saved them. You know?” I said as I pulled away and whipped away the last of the tears.

He looks me straight in the eyes and said, “Ya, I do. About 6 months ago my parents and I were in a car crash. They died and I lived. Now, I have to go live with my older brother and his girlfriend.” He looks away hurt and trying not to cry. Then he turns back. “You know, he didn’t even come visit me in the hospital. He blames me for what happened. And I’m starting to think that he may be right.” He turns his head away, again and just shakes his head.

I put my index finger and thumb on his chin and turned his head back to face mine. “No. No, don’t do that. It’s not your fault. There was nothing you could do. Don’t beat yourself up about it. And your brother is very lucky he still has you.” I drop my fingers and look at my feet. (I feel like it’s still my fault for what happened. And it is ‘cause I had to love them. This boy makes me feel like I can do anything, but I can’t see him again. I don’t…. can’t take another death because of me. But it was nice meeting him and just that makes me feel a whole lot better.)

I hear the voice come on the speaker that we are at the station. Time for me to go. I grab my things and say, “Bye. Nice convocation we had.” I start to go down the isle and I stop. I turn back to him. He staring at me. “And I’m sorry about your parents. And your brother is just angry that your parents are gone. He doesn’t hate you. He just doesn’t know how to get through this. But I promise that it gets better.” Then I turn and get off the train, leaving him to watch me leave.

Ajax

She told me about her family. She has none. They all died and when she told me she started to cry. I comforted her because it was my fault she was crying, I just had to ask about her family. Then I told her about mine. She felt bad for me but everyone always does, but I think since she has really been through what I am going through that she really did feel bad for me and not because she had to. I was going to start talking again, but I notice that she was walking away. She turned around right then and told me that everything was going to be okay. I believe her.

It wasn’t until the voice said that they were going to be leaving soon that I heard we were at the station. I went back to my seat, collected my things and got off the train. I started walking in no general direction just away for the train. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to find my brother and a girl, I can only assume that this is his girlfriend.

My brother is tall around six feet. He’s wearing jeans, a blue polo shirt and regular tennis shoes. He’s got the keys to his car in one hand and the hand of his girlfriend in the other. She’s short maybe 5’ 4”, wearing jeans, (We all really like jeans.) a top that my brother no doubt loves ‘cause it’s a little low, and high heels. (We have very different taste in girls. He likes preppy. I like not so preppy, like Brac.) He looks at me like I’ve done something wrong. I just put on a smile and motion towards his girlfriend.

He shakes his head like he had fog inside his head. “Ajax, this is Grace. Grace, this is Ajax.” He’s not to happy when he says my name.

I put out my hand and Grace takes it. “Nice to finally meet you, Ajax. I’ve heard so much about you.” She smiles a smile you know she’s been practicing for a long time.

“You, too.” Is all I say.

Grace turns and tugs on my brother’s sleeve. “Come on, Nathan. We have to leave now if we want to get back in time.” Nathan turns and I follow after. I don’t ask what we have to get back in time for and I really don’t care. All I want is a bed and some sleep. And to see Brac, again. (I'm going to get all of these but not in the way you would think I would get them.)

I fell asleep on the ride to the house. Nathan rudely kicked me in the shin to wake me up. I gave him a dirty look and he just shakes his head and went into the house. I got a good look at the house. It was 3 stories (ground, middle, and attic.), it was painted white with green shutters and trim. There’s a window at the very top, like you see in the scary movies with the crazy psycho looking out of, the window is circular in shape, there’s a front porch that goes the across the front of the house, and the door is white with a knocker on it and it has a greeting sign hanging from it. It was a very fairy tale looking house. Cottage like. I loved it the moment I saw it. I couldn’t wait to see the inside of it. (And I really want the attic level so I have a whole level to myself.)

I start to walk to the inside house and I hear giggling. GREAT!!! I just what I needed. Now I really can’t wait for the attic. I set my bags by the door after dragging them from the car. Then, I head for the giggling. I find myself not paying attention to the inside of the house. I find myself in the kitchen trying to get Nathan’s attention. Grace and him are kissing and snuggling right there in the kitchen. Come on, Dude, food is in here. It doesn’t need that, too.

Finally, I can’t take it anymore. “Hey. I’m still here.” I say loud enough for them both to hear. They separate like they got caught in a dirty act by their parents. Grace smooths out her shirt and Nathan runs a hand through his hair. “Sorry to intrude. But tell me where your room is and I’m out of your hair. And you can get back to making out, ‘Kay?”

“Oh,” Grace said. “Well, we thought you could have the very top floor.” I nod and turn to go back to the front door to get my bags when Grace says, “Wait!” and comes running over. I turn toward her to tell her I’m listening. “The attic has its own door on the side of the house that leads up to it and it’s a mini apartment. It just doesn’t have a kitchen. But I think you’ll love it. Also, we don’t think you need a curfew or many rules, so…. just know that you have freedom of food in the kitchen and anything that you want when you ask, okay?” I turn but she stops me, again. I turn back to her. “One more thing,” I nod my head. “Be careful.”

I stare at her but she turns on her heels and goes back to the kitchen. Going to get my bags, I shake my head. I drag them out the front door and to the side door that leads up to my new room. I open the door and there…. there were the stairs that I was hoping wouldn’t be there. They spiral all the way up. After what felt like an hour of hauling my bags up the stairs I get the first look at my new room.

It wasn’t anything like I thought it would be. The paint was pealing, a few floor boards were missing, there were holes in the wall, dust and dirt everywhere. I start to walk around and I see a apartment forming in my mind. This floor will be just like new. Then, I get to the bathroom. Yes. The BATHROOM. I never thought I would like the port-a-bodies more than pluming, but right then and there I did. I ran from the bathroom and went back to the main room. I was in for a lot of work if I wanted to make this thing livable. Better get started.

Brac

I got straight off the train and went to the main desk. There was a small, librarian type lady waiting behind the bulletproof glass. I walked up to the window and asked, “Excuse me, but when does the next bus leave to go into town?”

She looked like she thought I was crazy. Then, she looks at the computer screen and starts typing. “The next bus leaves in about 10 minutes.”

“May I please have a ticket for it?” I asked.

She gives me a dirty look and asks for $12. I give her a $20 and tell her to keep the change. I walk away from the desk and out the door to wait for the bus. I sit on the bench and take out my iPod. I put the headphones in and wait for the bus. It comes 12 minutes later and I board it. I give the driver my ticket and head to the back of the bus to find a seat. I take the very back seat and fall asleep once my butt hit the seat. I wake up when the bus comes to a complete stop at the edge of town. I get out of my seat, thank the bus driver, get off the bus, face north and started walking.

It takes me about an hour to walk to the house. It was so much better than I ever imagined. It was 3 stories (ground, middle, attic), one window at the top that looked like it should have a dead guy looking out of it, square windows with shutters, a porch that went from the front door to the side door all the way on the other side of the house, there was a back door at some point in time, people had graffitied the sides of the house, part of the roof was gone, the side door was skewed on the fence, and the colors that were painted on the house when it was first built had long since faded.(Can't wait to see the inside of the house. Just wait I bet there's going to be a family of racoons living in there. From the outside wouldn't be surprised if a couple of homeless people lived there. Not to be mean to homeless people, but this place was in bad condition. It NEEDS help quick.)

I pulled on my backpack strap and started walking towards the door, or what was left of it anyway. I slid through the broken screen and my jaw dropped to the ground when I saw the inside of the house.(Who could let anything like this happen to a home?) There were holes in the floor, in the walls, in the ceilings, everywhere, all the appliances were gone, the pictures that once hung on the walls were broken, ripped, and beyond repair. The bannister was gone, a few stairs were missing going up, my dream house just became something that would keep me busy for the rest of my life, and I still hadn't seen the attic yet. To get the attic I have to go outside and to the side of the house. A few floorboards were missing from there, too. I looked up at the widening staircase, no stairs missing that I could see. As I started up the staircase I noticed that the stairs squealed with delight that someone was finally going to be walking on them again. When I got to the top I stopped, scared what I might find up there in the attic.( What if an ax manic hinds his bodies up here? What if someone is waiting for me? What if I find pictures of my dad when he was young? The last one scared me the most. I had pictures from everyone on my mom's side and a few from my dad's. That last question lead to my worst fear. What if my little brother looked just like Dad? Then I'd have things to remind me of him and how I killed all of them. How I wasn't there when he needed me most.) I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat, closed my eyes tight and walked into the attic. Not knowing what I might find.

Ajax

I go to ask my brother where I could get paint and other supplies, when I hear giggles. Then I hear what only could have been Grace say,

“Nathan, stop! Your brother might hear. Hasn't he gone through enough?”

“Oh! Forget get about him. We could leave him and go anywhere. He's old enough to take care of himself, Grace.” I hear Nathan say. “Now, come back here. Let me kiss you.”

I hear another giggle and then Grace sobers up. “No, Nathan! I mean it! He was in the car with them when it happened. You didn't even go see him. And you don't look at him unless its to glare at him. He watched them die Nathan!” I heard a sniffle, then Grace continued. “You act like he killed your parents. Well you know what Nathan, they're his parents, too. And YOU'RE HIS BROTHER!!”

I hear a loud crash. I run into the room to find Grace on the floor and Nathan standing over her. They don't see me at first. Nathan raises his hand to hit Grace and I scream,

“No! Nathan stop!” They look at me. I step closer getting in between Nathan and Grace. “If anyone is getting hit tonight it's me. You have no right to hit her. She was only telling you what she saw as the truth.” Nathan lowers his hand. “She's right you know. I was awake when I heard mom and dad speak. They said something I will never forget. 'Take care of your brother, Ajax. He will blame you for this, but we will always love you. Help him in any way you can. We don't want to leave you guys, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Be careful and remember Love Conquers All.” I was crying by the time I got to the end. I looked at Nathan through teary eyes. I continued, “They were right, you do blame me. I'm going to honor their last words. I will keep you safe at all times. Even if that means keeping you safe from yourself.”

I turned to Grace and held out my hand. She took it. Once on her feet she said, “Thank you, Ajax.” I nodded. She then kissed me on my forehead and went up the steps to the second floor. I heard a door shut, then I looked at Nathan. He was sitting in the corner farthest away from me. I walked over and held out my hand to him. He looked up at me liked a little boy looked up at his Father after he got hurt. He shakingly took my hand. I helped him to his feet, then hugged him. He didn't hug back right away, but once he started hugging me I couldn't get him to let me go. When I finally prided his arms from around me I looked up at him. Staring at what was my brother, but it was only half of him there. He looked down and smiled, that same smile I saw him use when he first talked about Grace to the family. “How did I end up with such a strong warrior as a little brother?”

“Just lucky, I guess.” I smiled back. Strong Warrior. Maybe I will live up to my name and what my parents always wanted me to be. My smile faded and I got serious. “Hey, Nathan, can you tell me where the nearest hardware store is?”

His smile faded faster than a cheetah could run. “Why? Ajax, what are you planning?”

I shrugged. “I need somethings to be able to get started on that attic you say is livable. Quite a fixer-upper isn't it? I want to restore everything up there. New floorboards, fix holes in the walls, more livable space,-”

“Okay, okay. So it's not completely livable.” He cut me off. “Would you like help?”

“I would love some help.” My smile returned. “Why don't you go get Grace and we can get going.” His head fell. “She doesn't hate you. If she did she wouldn't of told you all the things she did. She loves you. I can see it in the way she looks at you.” I laughed. Nathan raised his eye brow at me. “I also see the way you look at her. Go!” I nod my head towards the steps.

He runs up the stairs like a kid on Christmas, but going the wrong way. I hear a door open and close. I step towards the stairs and hear talking. Then I heard giggling. First time I ever wanted to hear that high pitched giggle.

Brac

I didn't find any pictures, but that doesn't mean they aren't in the house somewhere. I go back to the front of the house and the first thing I hear is music. Someone is in my house. I go through the broken screen and run straight into the iPod stand that is there. A girl no older then me stops dead in her tracks. She was dancing. I put my hands up says I'm not going to to anything.

Her face turns to rage. “What are you doing here? This is private property! You know you shouldn't be here. Get Out Before I Call The Police!” Her finger pointed towards the door that I had come through.

“You can call the police. I would love for you to explain to them why you're in my house. Which is private property.” I say without even flinching at her words.

She goes pale. “Your house? What do you mean? This house was up for sale. Someone bought it but never moved in. You can't own it!”

“And why can't I?”

“'Cause.....'cause you're just a kid!” She yells daring to step closer.

“I'm the last living relative. I own this house. It's rightfully mine.” I step closer to her. I'm filling up with rage, ready to punch her to get her out of MY HOUSE!!

“The family died out. The last of them died in a car crash.” She smiled thinking she had won. “Now, you better get off this property. OR I will call the police.” She was threatening me now. She just crossed the line.

“That was my family. I was in that car crash. My father grew up in this house. This is where I will stay until the day I die. Now You Get Out Of My House!!!!!” I was screaming at her. She started too shake in fear. “I want you out of my house!!” She didn't move. “Now!”

Her eyes stared at something behind me. I turn to look around and see this huge guy standing there. I look up to find him staring down at me.

“What is going on here?” A voice booms. It takes me a few minutes to figure out that the voice belongs to the big guy. The girl has already run behind the big guy. “Well?” he says.

I step back to answer. “She is trespassing.”

The man looks behind him and down at the girl. They look at each other long and hard. They know each other I know it. “You are trespassing. Not her.” He looks back at me.

“No, I am not, sir. This house is rightfully mine.” I say not wavering. “I am the last of the Millers. I own this house and she is trespassing, along with you.”

They look at me long and hard. Finally, the big guy speaks. “You can not own this house. The last of the Millers died in a car crash. There is no one left.”

My eyes fill with tears, but I don't let them fall. “I was in that car crash. My family is dead. I Am the LAST of the MILLERS!” I feel a tear escape down my cheek. “I own this house. My father grew up here with his sisters. I will stay here 'til the day I died for this was my father's final wish. You and nobody,” I say pointing between the two of them. “Will ever take that from me.” I step closer jabbing my finger into the guy's chest, I scream, “YOU WILL GET OFF MY PROPERTY AND YOU WILL DO IT NOW!!!!!”

The guy backs up pushing the girl with him. I hear sirens not to far way. They called the police. OR at least someone did. I turn my head away just enough so they can't see me cry. They start backing down the steps. I stand there watching them go down. The police cars stop on the street. Men come pouring out of the cars. The men take the girl and boy behind the cars so I can't see them anymore.

“Miss, please come with me.” A policeman said. I don't move, so he takes my arm forcefully. I jerk my arm out of his grip and start walking in front of him. “Miss, can you please tell me why you're trespassing on private property?”

I look at him not wanting to answer, but he is a policeman, so I have to. “I was not trespassing. I own this house.” He opens his mouth to say something, but I don't let him. “I do own this house. I am the last of the Millers. I rightfully own this house. You can even look up the paperwork. I did all of it. I may be a kid but I still own this house. They couldn't put it up for sale without my permission. When they did I bought it and made them pay me back every penny. My father grew up here and I will stay here 'til the day I die. Write that down in your little pocket book of yours.” I tell him straight up.

Another policemen looked at me than back at the other. “What was your father's name?” One of the policemen asked me.

My eyes start to tear up again. I haven't said any of their names since they died. I look at the policemen then down at my shoes. “I am the daughter of Tia Lynn Miller and Stephen Victor Miller. Sister of Anah Estel Miller, Brody Wilson Miller, and Bolin Anthony O'con Miller. Granddaughter to Barabra Miller on my father's side. Granddaughter to Sharon and Micheal Comeire on my mother's side.” I let the tears flow down my cheeks falling to the street below my feet. I drop to my knees and start balling my eyes out. I feel a hand on my back and a voice in my ear saying, “I'm sorry for your loss. I knew your father well.” I start crying even harder. Shaking so hard from the sobs that the tumors sent through my body. I fall against the body that was rubbing my back. I feel arms encircle me. I start getting tired and I stop crying. I whip away the leftover tears to see everyone staring at me. I stand back up and look at the policemen. They have taken off their hats and are looking down at the street below. “Are there any my questions you need me to answer, sir?” I ask the officer that had question me first.

He shook his head. “No more questions are needed. We all knew your father well and you have some of his looks. We are all sorry for your loss.”

One by one they all started to turn around and get back into their cars. I saw they girl and the boy getting into one of the police cars. I ran to the man that was driving. “Please, they did not know and I was angry. I will not press any charges. Please, let them go.” I looked from the officer to the two kids in the back. Shock was written over all three of their faces. “Please.” I said looking at the officer once more. He turned off is car and got out. He looked to the man who first questioned me and raised an eye brow. The man nodded and the officer let the two of them out the back seat. I looked at the sheriff and nodded. Thanking him without saying a word. He looked at me then headed back to his car. The boy and girl looked at me still in shock that I had just gotten them out of trouble.

“You can come anytime you want to. Just be careful when you're doing your dancing the floorboards are very unstable. But you probably already know that. Just be careful.” I took a slip of paper out of my pocket and gave it to them. “This is my cell number if you need anything. And my e-mail address is also on there.” I started walking away when I remembered that they don't even know my name. I turn back to face them. “By the way my name is Brac Wynn Miller.

Sorry this all happened I should have done something to say that there was someone living here now. I hope we can be friends. I'll see you around?” It was a question more than a statement. The nodded mutely. “Bye.” I said as I walked away. The police had long since gone and everyone was minding their own business, or at least they looked like they were. I walked back into my house to find my laptop so I could find out where the nearest hardware store was. This house was a fixer-upper for sure. I couldn't wait to get started. (Even the voice inside my head was dripping with sarcasm.)
Ajax

A few minutes after I hear the giggling I see the two of them coming down the stairs with giant smiles on their faces. When they get down to the last step I turn to the door and open it. I turn back to them to usher them trough the door but they're busy making out, again. I clear my throat just loud enough to make sure they know I'm still here. They separate eyes twinkling and grins from ear to ear. I couldn't help but smile, too. They were a great couple and I could see them getting married. Soul Mates crossed my mind. That's what they were, Soul Mates. Prefect harmony, born for each other, meant to be,... all I could think of to call them. One of these days I'll be laughing saying 'I remember the time you two fought right after I got here.' Just thinking about it made me want to laugh.

“Guys, we better get going if we still want to have dinner before midnight.” They looked at me like I was crazy. “Guys, its at least nine o'clock. Plus, I'd like to treat you two to dinner.” Grace's mouth open to protest, but I put my hand up and continued, “I like to thank you guys for everything, so where would you like to go?”

They finally decided that it would be easier if we just ate at home. I talked them into letting me make dinner. Nathan said yes right away. Grace took some convincing, but we got her to agree. I'm a great cook and Nathan knows it. I picked up a few things at the supermarket and I was ready to cook as soon as I walked through the front door. I made my infamous mac&cheese with roast chicken, bought from the store ready to eat., and a side of mashed potatoes, also from the store ready to eat. I set out the nice plates I found, and got them some wine glasses. I put red soda into the glasses and left to let them enjoy their food. I took my plate outside and sat on the front steps.

It was a beautiful night. The star twinkled in the sky like little children asking you to come play with them. I was amazed at how the stars were so clear. Back in California you couldn't see the stars because of the lights of everything were to bright. No wounder Mom loved the stars so much, she grew up with them. I remember her smiling every time we got to go out to the country. She always stayed just to look at the stars. She said 'People think stars are just balls of light that like the moon, so they stay to watch it. But they're wrong. The stars stay out to show you your path that your life will take. Never ever miss the chance to see the stars, Ajax.' I felt the tears on my face, I angrily whipped them away.

“Ajax!” I heard. I looked around but I didn't see anyone. “Ajax!” I heard again. The voice was familiar, but I couldn't place it. I didn't hear the voice again, so I went back inside.

Grace and Nathan were still eating, so I quietly walked past them. I put my plate in the sink and went back to the front poach. I see a man walking towards the door.

“May I help you?” I asked. That's when I noticed the gun. My heart beat picked up and I felt my hands start to shake. “What do you want?” My voice was small and squeaky.

The man laughed. “Let me into your house and nobody gets hurt.” He pointed the gun at me. I looked down into the barrel.

I stood up taller. Took a deep breath and said with all my courage, “No.”

The gun was lowered. “What?!” asked the man. “What?!”

“No.” I repeated. “You will not go in. You have leave. Now!”

I was once again looking down the barrel of the gun. I heard the gun discharge, but didn't feel anything. I looked out and all I saw was darkness. I closed my eyes and let the darkness consume me. I wanted to see my parents again, but I also didn't want to leave Nathan and Grace. But I don't get to decide, someone else decides for me.

Brac

I was on my computer typing when I heard the gun shot. It was close. I ran through the broken screen and looked around. I couldn't see much but I had a feeling it was someone I didn't know. I ran out into the street. I tripped over something, but that something was warm and hurt. I turned around on my hands and knees to find a dead boy. This boy looked a lot like that kid from the train. Ajax. That was his name. I scream “Ajax!” but he does respond. “Ajax!” I scream again getting a little closer. That's when I notice this boy is at least 19. Too old to Ajax. I look for the gun shot wound, I find it right on top of the heart. I check his breathing but nothing. Straight kill. At least he died quick and not in agonizing pain.

I hear arguing not to far of. I go in that direction. Then a hear another gun shot. I run even faster, because I have this strange feeling I know who this person is going to be. I keep pumping my legs faster and faster until I get to a house. There on the poach is Ajax with a gun shot wound to the chest. I scream. I run to him checking his breathing. I feel sallow breathing. Two people come out of the house. A man and a woman. Shock is written all over their faces. They must know Ajax. The man must be his brother he was talking about.

I knew I have to stop the bleeding some how. “Your shirt!” I yell at the man. He looks at me weird. “Your Shirt!!” I repeat. As if walking out of his daydream he quick peels off his shirt. “Go call 911!” I scream. They don't move. “Go! CALL 911!!!!” I scream again. The girl spins on her heels and runs into the house.

I take the shirt that the guy took off and I press it to Ajax's wound. Ajax take a sharp intake of breath and then his breathing goes back to sallow. The man drops to his knees crying. I yell at him, “Crying is not going to help Ajax! Now stop and go make sure the girl called 911!” He looks at me then gets to his feet. He runs into the house and hear sirens not to far off. “I don't know how much longer he has.” I say in a whisper, soft enough so that nobody can hear me.

When the ambulance finally gets here they ask what happen. I tell them what I know and they take Ajax away in the ambulance. I start to shake because I know this is my fault. Just by liking him I probably got him killed. I turn to ask if I can go home when I see the brother coming towards me. The girl isn't to far behind him.

“Thank you. We thought you were amazing Ajax might have died if you weren't there.”

Might not have happened if we never met. I thought to myself.

“Yes, thank you!” The girl squeaked. Then she hugged me.

“I would hug you back, but I have Ajax's blood on my hands.” I told her. She quickly let go.

“How do you know his name?” asked the boy.

I took a deep breath. “We met on the train here, today. He told me about the car crash. I'm sorry. He was a really nice guy.” I said. I started to think about the smiling boy on the train, then I thought about the barely breath one on the poach tonight. “When I saw Ajax laying there, I knew I had to do something. I just couldn't let him die. I couldn't take knowing another person died that I knew. I just......I just...” Fresh tears rolled down my cheeks. The girl grabbed me into a bear hug and started to cry, too. The boy wrapped his long arms around us and stared saying that everything was going to be okay. I ran out of tears to cry. Today had been a long day. The policemen asked to come sit on the poach steps. The girl never let me go as we walked to the steps. I fell asleep in her arms.

I remember people trying to wake me up, then what must have been a girl say,

“No, she will stay with us until we can figure all this out, sir. She can stay. She saved Ajax's life.”
“But I really-”

“No buts, sir! She will stay with us! Goodnight, Sir!” the girl yelled.

I heard a door close then,

“Nathan would you take her up to the guest room. And be quiet, she is very tried.”

“Yes, Grace. I'll meet you in our room when I 'm sure she is settled in.”

I heard the squeaking of steps then a door opened. I felt soft pillows and warm blankets. Then I felt something warm on the side of my head, and then heard,

“Thank you for saving my little brother. I don't know what I 'd do with out him.”

I rolled on my side and fell into must have been a deep sleep because I don't think even a bomb could have woken me up. I had a dreamless sleep. First night I haven't had nightmares of all the people who died at my hands. All the blood that was on my hands. A nice dark sea of black over took me and pulled me under. I never wanted to get out . It was so peaceful there. Better than real life.

When I woke up the next morning, I screamed. I remember seeing Ajax there. It scared me. The girl came running into the room, and held me 'til I'd calm down enough to talk. I took deep breaths.

I stood and made sure the girl was standing too. “My name is Brac. I live across the street.” I said. My voice was small and weak. My throat hurt, probably from all my sobbing. I'll tell ya I have never sobbed so much in my life like I did yesterday.

The girl nodded. “I'm Grace. Come on down stair we got breakfast all ready for you.”

I followed Grace down stairs. At the bottom of the stairs I could smell the food. I followed her to the kitchen. Food was lied out over all the counters. Grace kissed the man that was cooking the eggs.

The man turned around. I could see the similarities between the two brothers. Same cupid's brow curve, same colored hair, and they had the same shape faces. “I'm Nathan.” The man said. I nodded in return.

“Brac.” I told him.

He went back to cooking some more food. I started humming one of my favorite songs. Whiskey Lullaby. I started to sing the song under my breathe.

She put him out like the burnin' end of a midnight cigarette
She broke his heart, he spent his whole life tryin' to forget
We watched him drink his pain away a little at a time
But he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind
Until' the night

He put that bottle to his head and pulled the trigger
And finally drank away her memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength he had to get up off his knees
We found him with his face down in the pillow
With a note that said, "I'll love her till I die"
And when we buried him beneath the willow
The Angels sang a whiskey lullaby

La la la la la la la, la la la la la la laa
La la la la la la la, la la la la la la laa”
I started to get louder as the song progressed.
“The rumors flew but nobody knew how much she blamed herself
For years and years, she tried to hide the whiskey on her breath
She finally drank her pain away a little at a time
But she never could get drunk enough to get him off her mind
Until' the night

She put that bottle to her head and pulled the trigger
And finally drank away his memory
Life is short but this time it was bigger
Than the strength she had to get up off her knees
We found her with her face down in the pillow
Clinging to his picture for dear life
We laid her next to him beneath the willow
While the Angels sang a whiskey lullaby

La la la la la la la, la la la la la la laa
La la la la la la la, la la la la la la laa
La la la la la la la, la la la la la la laa
La la la la la la la, la la la la la la laa”

By the time I got to the end I was full on singing it. I had my head down sing the last notes, as a tear fell. I whipped it away and looked up at Grace and Nathan. They had stopped what they were doing; they looked at me and a saw a tear run down Grace's cheek.

I looked down at my feet again. “Sorry. I just......sometimes.......ummmm.....” I didn't dare look up for the fear of what I might find.

“Sorry?” I heard Nathan say. I looked up shocked. “Sorry? Brac you are a beautiful singer. Amazing.” I gave him a weak smile.

“Amazing?” Grace said. “Wrong.” I felt my heart sink into my gut. “No. That was BEAUTIFUL.”

I gave another weak smile, but they couldn't see for my head was down looking at my feet. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to look at who it was. Nathan stood there rubbing my back. I stepped away from him. Nathan put his hand down and sorrow fell across his face. I my face fell as well. “I didn't mean to upset you, Nathan. It's just........ that well.......” I didn't know what to say, so I changed the subject. “Ummmm.....Can I go see Ajax sometime?” I looked at Nathan whose head was now shaking. “I can see him, right?” My voice was weak. I was terrified and it showed in my voice.

Nathans head jerked up looking from Grace and back to me. “Yes, you can see him.” Grace said. I exhaled a breathe that I didn't know I was holding.

“We just didn't know if you wanted to see him. But I'm sure he'd like to see you.” Nathan said. I blushed at the thought of Ajax being happy to see me. A heard a giggle and a deep chuckle. “Wow, she's got it bad.” Nathan says chuckling some more. I feel my face turning a deeper red.

I hear a smack and I looked at Grace and Nathan. Nathan is rubbing his arm. “Leave her alone, Nathan.” Grace said. “If I remember correctly you were also always smiling when someone said my name.” Nathan turned a deep red. Grace smiled at her effect on him. I laughed. They looked up at me. I covered my mouth, but couldn't stop laughing.

When I finally got control of my laugh I said, “Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.” I was smiling the whole time I talked. “Thank you. I haven't laughed in a long time.”

Nathan smiled that same smile I saw Ajax use on my on the train. I smiled even wider just remembering the conversation. I smiled faded some thinking about how I told him about my family and how he told me about his family.

“Penny for thoughts?” Grace asked.

I looked up at her. “More like a million.” I smile a little. “Just thinking about the conversation Ajax and I had on the train here. Not one I would have every day.”

I walked for the doorway over to the island in the center of the kitchen. I sat on a stool that was there. Grace leaned in on her elbows, raising her eye brows at me. I laughed.

“So,.......” Grace prompted.

“We talked about what had happen to us. He told me about the car crash and how Nathan never went to go see him. He told me how he knew Nathan hated him. I told him that couldn't be true because they were family. And as I walked off the train I told him that everything would be okay and it would get better.” I thought back to last night. “Looks like I was wrong.”

“You were completely right, Brac. He helped Nathan and I get through a rough patch other day. I think he thought of you when he helped.”

“She's right you know. “ Nathan said. “He was a different person other day. He glowed very time he thought of something. I think that something was you.” I again turn a light shade of red. I gave Nathan a weak smile.

I really wanted to see Ajax, now. “When can we go see Ajax? Can we go see him today?”

“We can,” Nathan said. I could hear a but coming. “You might want to take a shower.”

I looked down at myself. I could see the dirt on my skin. It sent a shiver down my spine. “You're right I didn't get to take a bath yesterday because the water doesn't run at my house.”

Nathan and Grace looked at each other. Something was wrong. “Brac, how long do think you have been here?” Grace asked.

I looked at them confused. “A night.”

They looked at each other again. “Brac, you have been here for four days.”

“How? I don't understand.” I was even more confused.

“You went into shock and fell asleep while I held you.”

“I remember that. Then you guys taking me into the house and Grace, you told Nathan to take me upstairs to the guest room.”

“That was four days ago. You have been in and out on conscientiousness. Your body was overloaded, so it shut down to heal. So to speak.” Nathan answered.

“Four days?” I looked at them. They nodded. “Now, I really need a bath.” They laughed. “Do you mind if I take a shower here?” I asked them.

“No, you can take a shower here.” Grace said.

“Thanks.” I turn to the stairs then turned back to them.

Before I could say anything Nathan said, “Up stairs third door on the left.” I nodded with a weak smile.

I walked up the stairs to the third door on the left. It wasn't much but at least it was a shower and a sink. Good enough for me. As I peeled off my dirty clothes, I saw myself in the mirror. I was broken. My hair matted, my eyes blood shocked and swollen, my skin had lost its color. I didn't look like myself. While wallowing in my self pity, someone knocked. I stepped behind the door as I opened it. It was Grace.

“Hey, I thought you might want some other clothes to put on.” Grace said.

I took them. “Thank you.” Grace just dismissed it with her hand. “No, Grace. Really thank you and Nathan, too.” Grace looked into my eyes and nodded. I closed the door and jumped into the shower.

I don't know how long I was in there, but it was heavenly. I washed away the dirt and washed my hair. I never thought a simply thing like a shower would make me forget just for a little while what was going on on the outside. When I got out I finally looked at the clothes that Grace had given me to wear. I saw a jean shorts, that were a little short, a black tank top, and a sweatshirt. When I put on the sweatshirt I noticed that it could have been Grace's and it couldn't have been Nathan's. The only persons it could be was Ajax's. I walked down stairs. Nathan and Grace were standing in the kitchen. I walked to the door frame and stopped. Grace's head was on Nathan's head and Nathan's head was on top of Grace's head. Their arms rapped around each other. They looked perfect right there.

Just standing there brought back memories of my old life. I closed my eyes remembering back to those times. Happy times. My sister's boyfriend and her would due that a lot, his name was Nathan, too. I was always envious of them because I always wanted that for me. For some one to think I was special. I finally think I found some one who would think I was special. And his name is Ajax. Now I can make new happy times with somebody else by my side.

Grace turned her head to see me standing there. I didn't know I was crying until I whipped away a tear that had escaped its prison. “Oh, Brac. What's the matter?” Grace asked. Nathan turned his head to see me there to.

Before I could answer Grace, Nathan had walked across the kitchen. He put his arm around me, as if saying, ITS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT. “Ready?” Grace nodded and so did I. “Then lets go see him.”

Nathan had a old truck and a newer car, but I think that car was Grace's. Nathan got in and so did Grace. I went around the truck looking with awe at Nathan when I got to the driver's seat. “This is your car?” I asked doubtfully.

Grace laughed. “Told you we should take my car.” Grace started to get out.

“No.” I said. Grace stopped and looked back at me. “This truck is my dream truck. I've always wanted a nice old truck. A truck that has a history, that can tell its own story. Nathan I love this truck.” That was the first time I'd truly smiled since I had woken up that day.

Grace looked at me in disbelief. Nathan just smiled and nodded his head. Grace got out and said, “Are you serious?” I saw my chance, I ran past Grace yelling “Middle!!” I jumped into the truck and planted my butt into the middle seat so I could see everything.

Nathan was laughing so hard his face turned red. Grace again looked at me in disbelief, then it turned slowly into a smile. I was still smiling.

Grace climbed into the truck. “Lets go.” Was all she said. Nathan backed the truck out and the journey began.

I looked out the windows the whole time. Looking at the town my dad had grown up in was amazing. When we got to the hospital my smile that had been plastered to my face, chipped away. I was here to see Ajax. Hurt. Badly hurt.

I took a deep breath and got out the car. Nathan and Grace walked in front of me. We walked for what felt like forever. My feet getting heavier and heavier. Grace let go of Nathan's hand and pushed open the door on our left. I stopped dead in my tracks. Nathan knowing that something like this would happen grabbed my hand and dragged me in.

There on the bed was Ajax. He was talking to Grace. Nathan let go of my hand just as Ajax looked at me. His eyes twinkled. I ran to him, hugging him tight. “You're okay. You're okay.” Nathan chuckled, then I heard a low ouch. That made me laugh. I let go of Ajax and tried to step back , but he wouldn't let me. I laughed again. He pulled me out to arms length and looked me in the eyes.

“You're really here. Its really you.” Ajax said with his voice shaking.

“It's really me.” Then I remembered what had happened. My voice squeaked, “I'm sorry. I only wish I could have gotten to you sooner.” Tears ran down my cheek.

Ajax whipped away my tears with his thumbs. “That wasn't your fault Brac. I'm really stubborn and would let the guy come in.”

I recalled the night that I found Ajax on the front pouch bleeding with gun shot wounds. “I remember finding another guy. He was dead when I found him. At first I thought it was you, Ajax. I yelled your name hoping you weren't dead. I saw then that the guy was too old. Then I heard the other gunshots. I ran towards them to find you laying on the ground with gunshot wounds. Grace and Nathan ran out not soon after that. Told Grace to run and call 911 and told Nathan to give me his shirt. After help got there I went into autopilot. I woke up this morning only remembering the night that happened 4 days ago.” I looked Ajax in the eyes, “I thought you were dead and I lost another person that didn't deserve to die.”

I jerked out of Ajax's hold to notice that Nathan and Grace had left. I wrapped my arms around myself trying to find comfort within me. Turned back to Ajax to see him look at me with his sorrowful eyes. They were pleading with me to let him hold me again. I shook my head and his eyes dropped like he had just disappointed the only thing that mattered to him. Me.

“Brac,” Ajax said. “thank you for saving my life. Do you have anywhere to stay? We have an extra room if you would like to stay.”

“Thank you, but I have a house that is right across the street from yours. It just needs some fixing up.” I looked at him then to the door. My only escape. Only a few feet away. “I should go get Nathan and Grace. I'm sure they have some things they want to talk to you about.” With that I walked right out the door and into The police officer that had asked who were my parents.

“Hello, Miss.” He said with a weak smile. “What are you doing walking out of Mr. Ajax's room, may I ask?”

I looked him in the eyes. “Just checking up on him. Wanted to make sure he was okay. I didn't get to ride to the hospital with him. I went into shock after trying to stop the bleeding.”

“Oh! You're the little lady that saved Mr. Ajax. Well Grace and Nathan are very thankful for you doing that.” He said with a little bitterness in his voice.

“Yes. Nathan and Grace have both said they were grateful for me being there a few times.” I saw Nathan walking with Grace down the hall. “Now, if you would excuse me. I must go say good-bye to them.” I ran towards them.

“Hey,” Nathan said. “didn't think you 2 would be done so soon.”

I narrowed my eyes at him for his double meaning. “We are done. Can one of you take me home?” Then I second guessed myself. “You know what. Grace can you actually take me home, please?” I looked at her with hopeful eyes.

“Sure.” Nathan had the keys in his hands looking dumbfounded. Grace took them from him and kissed him on the cheek. “Let's go.”

We walked out the hospital and into the bright shining sun. We got into the car and started driving. It wasn't until we were half way home that Grace started to talk.

“Brac, are you okay?” She asked.

“Fine. Fine, Grace. Just fine.” I answered.

“Brac, what's the matter with you. You were so excited to see Ajax this morning what happened.” Grace protested.

“Nothing, I just don't like hospital, okay?” The bitterness in my voice rang through.

“Brac, you are going to tell me the truth.” Grace said turning her whole body towards me. Letting her eyes drift away from the road a head of us.

“Watch the road!” I yelled at her.

“No one is coming. We'll be fine. Now tell me what happened.” I didn't say anything. “Damn it, Brac! Why can't you tell. If you don't I'll just get Ajax to tell me what happened. Tell me or do you want to stay quiet.” Grace yelled at me. I looked at the road then back at Grace. I thought I saw something coming towards us. I looked back at the road again and It was another car.

“CAR!!!!!!!!!” I screamed, but it was to late.

The car hit us head on, I think. I heard the cracking of bones, the ear bleeding sound of metal binding, and the horrified screams of Grace, the other people int the other car and my very own scream mixed together. I was in another car accident and it was all because of me. Again. Ajax

I had just gotten my nightly dose of medicine when I saw doctors and nurses racing down the hall. I didn't know what was going on, but it couldn't be good.

A voice came over the intercom, “Doctor Brown to the Trauma Room. Doctor Brown to the Trauma Room.”

I tried to get out of the bed, but by wounds stopped me. I heard crying and screaming. I was scared and wanted to know what was going on. Then I heard it.

“Nathan, she turned wheel at the second so her side of the car was the one that got hit. I..... I ….. Nathan what are we going to tell Ajax. Oh..... Nathan it's not fair. She didn't deserve that. Nathan please tell me that she will be okay.” I know that voice. It was as clear as day. Grace. That's who it was.

This time when I tried to get out of the bed I succeeded. I got to the door frame and I saw them their. Grace's clothes were a little torn, but seemed fine. Nathan was holding her tight as she cried. I grabbed onto the wooden railing on the side of the wall. I could hear my machines going off. Nobody came they were to busy with who ever was in the Trauma Room. I walked at snail pace until I was close enough to them.

“Nathan,” my voice was weak and breath was short. My chest hurt. Nathan turned around shocked written all over his face.

“Ajax what are you doing out here?” Nathan let go of Grace and raced over to me. He grabbed my arm to turn me around.

I jerked out of his hold. My chest flamed with pain. “What is going on? What happened?” I looked at Grace. She wouldn't met my gaze.

“Ajax you need to get back to your room.” Nathan looked around as if looking for something or someone. “Nurse!” Nathan yelled. “Nurse!”

“They won't come they're too busy with who ever is in Trauma Room.” I said. Grace started to cry again and harder than before. I looked at Grace again. “What is it, Grace? What happened?” I motion to her dirty clothes. My chest was getting heavy. I could barely breathe.

“Nathan tell him.” Grace said in the smallest voice I have ever heard.

Nathan didn't like the idea from the look on his face, but he nodded. “Ajax,” He looked at me straight in the eyes. “There was an accident.”

“A car accident?” My voice went up a least 2 octaves.

He sighed. “Yes,” he took a deep breath. “Grace was in the car. She is okay as you can see.” HE gestured to Grace. “The other 2 people in the other car are fine with minor injuries. They're stable and will recover.” He wasn't telling me everything.

“And?” I said. My chest hurt. I sank to the floor. Nathan tried to catch me. He put his arm out to help me up. I waved it away. “And?”

“Grace wasn't the only one in the car.” He wouldn't look me in the eye.

I thought who else would be in the car with Grace. It hit me hard in the chest. Making me grasp for air. “Brac.” I said low, but steady.

“Yes.”

“What happened to her? Is she going to be okay?” I was breathing heavily.

“The doctors don't know yet.” Grace said trying to stop crying. “She turned the car at the lat possible second. Making sure her side hit the tree. The other car it the end of the car. I was shielded by Brac. When she turned the wheeled she made sure I didn't get hurt. She saved me, but she might have killed herself in the process.” Grace was crying again. Nathan wrapped his arms around her.

I looked at Nathan to know Brac's injuries. As if seeing the pleading in my eyes Nathan started, “She has brain damage, one clasped lung, broken ribs, a broken neck, vertebrae in her sine are broken, her left knee cap is shattered, her right wrist is broken, and she may never walk or use her arms again.” He looked down. “They think she's going to die with the injuries that she has obtained.” He chest moved in the rhythm of when someone cries.

“She won't die. I know she won't.” Nathan looked at me. He was crying. “If she survived her last car crash and since she saved me. She won't die. She has too much unfinished business here on earth.” My voice was strong and full of courage. Everything I didn't have. But I knew that that voice was right. She was going to be okay even if every one else didn't think so. I did and that was all that mattered.

A doctor came running down the hall from which my brother called for a nurse. “What are you doing out of your bed?!” the doctor yelled.

I tried to stand up, but fell to the ground in pain. You know when you have a Charlie Horse and you can't get rid of it. Ya, times that by like 20 and you get the pain that was roaring to life in my chest. The nurse and Nathan rushed to help me up. They picked me up and started to drag me back to my room. I heard whispering. I turned my head around, even that hurt. The doctor was talking to Grace. Grace started to sob and sank to the floor. The doctor keeled next to her hugging her to give her comfort. He shock his head. That was the same way the doctor at the hospital told me that my parents didn't make it. It meant that Brac didn't make it, but I refused to think that she had died. She had to live. She was the shining north star in everyone's dead sky. She gave hope to everyone that she met.

“North Star,” I said broken. Out of breath I passed out and I welcomed the blackness that awaited me behind my eye lids.

I'm there. Back when my parents are still alive. Nathan is there too. It Christmas. We are all around the tree. Mom and Dad are opening the presents Nathan and I got them. We had already looked at the gifts Santa gave us. I see their smiling faces as they see the gifts. I remember this Christmas the most. It was the last one we all spent together. Nathan left after graduation. Got an apartment and met Grace. You know family grows apart. We grew apart really fast. The scene changes. I'm in the middle of a abyss. Nathan and Grace on one side of the abyss, calling to me to grab their hands. Mom and Dad are the other side saying, “Follow you're heart. Do what you thin is right.” while they stretched out their hands to me. I see the choices in front of me. Go back to Nathan and Grace or go to Mom and Dad. I give a hand to both sides of the abyss. I can't choose. They pull me back and forth, telling to let go of the others hand. I finally hear something that changes the tug-a-war. “What about Brac, Ajax? Don't you care for her?” I look at Nathan but he shakes his head. I look at Grace. “I thought you cared for her? Now, when she needs you the most you're just going to bail on her? She needs you. Ajax, she needs you. Just like you need her. Soul mates.” Grace is right. I do care about Brac. Also, that I need to get back to her. I look at my parents. “I'm sorry.” I say. My mom nods in understanding, while my dad lets go of my hand. I let go and let Nathan and Grace pull me on to their side. Back to the Living I go. Back to the hospital. Back to Brac.

I don't remember much, but when I woke up Grace was sobbing her eyes out and holding my hand. She was humming something, however, I have never heard that song. Maybe I have. I don't remember. My eyes were still closed. Grace tightened her hold on my hand. I groaned at the strength that little Grace had. She loosened her hold and stopped sobbing for a second.

“Ajax,” she said that dripped with exhaustion. “Ajax, if you're awake please open your eyes. Please.”

I slowly I opened my eyes seeing Grace inches away from my face. She hugged me once she saw my eyes. “Hi, Grace.” My voice was weak and groggy. Probably from the medicine the always give you.

“Ajax, you're alive.” Grace jumped up, running to the door she swag it open calling, “Nathan, he's awake. Nathan he's awake.”

I heard footsteps coming fast. Within seconds I saw Nathan. He smiled like he had never seen me before. He pushed pass Grace and ran to my side. He hugged me tighter than I have ever been hugged before. “Ajax, Thank God that you're alive.” I heard him whispered.

“Good to see you, too, Nate.” As soon as I said Nate I was waiting for him to punched me, but it didn't happen. He always hated it when I said that in front of people. He just hugged me tighter.

When he pulled away that's when I saw that he had been crying, but not as hard as Grace. “Hey,”

I said quietly, “Nate, how is Brac.?” Nate's face darkened and Grace sobbed a little. “I remember Grace sobbing really hard as I was dragged back to the room. And the accident. She is, okay?”

Nathan looked at Grace, who looked at Nathan shaking her head. Nathan nodded. “Ajax, Brac is badly hurt. They still don't know if she is going to wake up.” Nate lowered his head. “She turned the wheel at the last second. She saved Grace by turning the truck into a tree on her side off the truck. The doctors said that if she didn't do that that Grace and the other people in the other car would have died for sure. She almost killed herself to save 2 people she doesn't even know and Grace.” He took a deep breathe. “They have her in ICU. They think that she might make it, but it is more likely that she will die from her injuries.”

I looked at Nate, then at Grace, then back at Nate. She was going to die. More likely to die than live. No not my Brac. She will live. I shook my head. “The doctors are wrong. She will live. She has someone waiting for her on this side of the realm, not the other. She will come back.” I said those words with such power I was sure that an alpha wolf would have backed down and believed me. Nate nodded and so did Grace. “Now, when do I get out of here? I really hate hospitals.”

A nurse walked in when I asked the question. “You can leave as soon as your brother signs these release forms and get dressed.” She handed the paperwork to Nate. She turned to leave, then stopped. “Also, you will have to take certain pain, heart and other medication for a little while. The information is with the paperwork and the doctor wants you to come back every day for at least a month before, the visit can be reduced to once every month.” She started to walk again and stopped, again. “Oh! I almost forgot. The girl that was in the accident,” She stopped. I held my breathe waiting for her to continue. “She is slowly waking up. Looks like you got a fighter. Don't lose her, kid. Also, they want you in the ICU as soon as possible.”

“Why?” I asked.

“She has been asking for you in her sleep. That was how we knew that she was still alive and wanting to live. You better hurry, she knows when you aren't there.” The nurse walked out the room without another word.

I saw Nate quickly signing the paperwork and I hopped out of bed ready for anything. That was until about 5 seconds after I jumped out of bed I noticed that I didn't have anything here to change into. I looked at Nathan with big eyes and I felt my face turning red.

“Your clothes are right here. We have been waiting to give them to you.” Nate pulled a bag from behind a chair. He threw it on the bed and ushered Grace out, so that I could change. I moved as I could so that I could see Brac, again. She was waiting and I didn't want to keep her waiting forever. Soul Mates, kept running through my head as I changed. I ran to the door and ran inot the hall.

“Ajax, slow down.” I had run directly into Nathan. A smile at his lips and a twinkle in his eyes told me that he was over joyed that I was rushing to get to Brac faster. He put his arm around me, “Come on. Lets go see that girl of yours.”

I noticed that Grace wasn't with him then. “Where's Grace?” I asked.

“She is already there with Brac. She has visited her everyday since the crash.” Nate stated.

Every day since the crash. How long have I been out?

I must have said it aloud because Nathan answered me. “You have been out for 4 days, kiddo.”

My eyebrow went up. Nate laughed at my face. “Lets just go.” I was happy to go along with Nate on this one. Off to ICU we went.

We were outside the doors that lead into the ICU when, I heard some one yelling. I looked at Nate, before I rushed through the doors.

Grace she was the one yelling for a nurse or a doctor. I ran up to her.

“Grace! Why are you yelling?!” I yelled, so that she could hear me.

She turned to me, with a shocked expression on her face. “Ajax, you're down here. Thank God!” Her expression changed to one of relief and joy. “Her... Her eyes their fl.... fluttering!” She stammered.

I ran passed her into the room that had MY Brac in it. My feet came to a screeching halt before I knew why. Then I saw it. Brac was beat up badly. Bandages all over her, the casts were on her leg and arm. She didn't look like MY Brac, she looked so small and weak when I looked at her. I felt something on my cheek and went to whip it away. It was a tear. More followed. I slowly went to her left side, so I could hold her hand. I grabbed her hand and put my forehead to it.

“Don't leave me, Brac. Don't leave me. Please!” I started to sob at the idea that I might lose her.

“Can you stop that? I don't like it when someone cries. It makes me sad and want to cry, too.” Her voice was lower than a whisper. I had to lead in close to make sure I heard her right. “Ajax,”

“What Brac?” I said scare of what she might say.

“I think you're kinda..... of a cry baby.” She said in a small teasing voice.

“I would be after what I heard you did for me then what you did for those people and Grace. I don't think Nate will ever let you leave now that you saved Grace.” I said slightly teasing her, but really hoping she would stay with us for it a little while.

“That you saved both Ajax and Grace. Now I will make you stay at least a year.” The joking but very stern voice of my brother came from behind us. I went to move away form Brac, but she only tighten her grip on my hand, not letting me move away from her.

“Well, that's great now you have some people to look after you, Miss Miller.” The voice came from a white coated man who came up behind by brother.

“Of Course, she has people to look after her. She saved so many people. She should get a medal.” Grace came from behind the doctor.

“That's really not necessary. I can take care of myself. I'll be fine.” Brac coughed. “I have a house right across the street from you guys. Really as long as I can sing and move a little I'll be fine.” She started to laugh but it turned into a nasty cough. The doctor came over and gave her a shot, after a few minutes her coughing stopped. “As I was saying before I rudely interrupted myself,” She took a deep breath.

“Miss Miller, you really shouldn't talk much. Your lung is still healing.” The doc said.

She snapped her eyes at him. “I will do what ever I want, Doc. I am not staying in this....this... place,” she wrinkled her nose in disgust. “any longer than I have to. I hate these places and I don't really like the people who work at them either.” Her voice was getting stronger.

“Brac clam down. Don't worry.” Told her as my hand smoothed out her hair. I heard a sigh of relief, from what I could guess, in return I sighed as well. “Everything will be alright, okay? I promise.” I looked down at her. She still had her eyes closed, so I tilted her face up to see her eyes. “But...” I say to make sure she is listening to me. “I think that you should still stay with us for a little while until you are at least 99.99% better and on your feet with no help.”

She looked at me with sorrowful eyes. “But....” I shook my head. “Okay, I'll stay as long as I get to make breakfast from time to time and pick a movie to watch, too.” I heard her loud and clear. She just agreed to stay with me. Well, Nathan, Grace and I, but still she was going to be with me. That was all I cared about.

“Done.” I announced before anyone could say otherwise. I turned to Nathan who shook his head but had a smile on his face. Grace was trying not to jump at the enjoyment of having another girl to talk to at the house. I was trying not to embarrass myself in front of everyone especially not Brac. But I was extremely overjoyed to have her at the house.

“You can cook anything as long as you can cook.” Nathan teased her.

“Is that a challenge?” Brac countered.

“Maybe.” Nathan did his eyebrow wiggly thing and everyone started laughing.

“I'll see to it that Mr. Nathan gets the paper work to where you can leave with him.” The doc left leaving us alone.

“I thought he'd never leave.” Brac said.

“Me, too. He gives me the heebiejeebies.” Grace shuttered.

“I know. I swear I felt him breathing on my neck when I was in “coma”. It was creepy. One minute I'm fine that next I feel old hot dog, fat, no good, probably a nasty old man on the inside breathe running down my neck. I swear if I could have punched him I would have.” Brac told Grace, but looked at me while she said it.

“Me,too. I wanted to punch him but I never did. Now I really wish I had.” Grace looked at Brac.

Unspoken words passed between them. “Nathan why don't we go get those papers, huh?” Grace dragged Nathan out by his arm leaving Brac and I alone.

“I guess I better go...” I say not wanting to over stay my warm and outlandish welcome to her ICU room.

She grabbed my arm and pulled me closer. “Thank you. For everything, Ajax. I really wish this would be something better. I can't wait to get back into those comfy clothes.”

“Those are my clothes.” I say confuzzled.

“Exactly.” Brac smiled at me with a hidden meaning.

I went closer to Brac's face closing the distance between us. Brac closed her eyes leaning into the kiss. Our lips were centimeters apart.

BOOM!!!!

We jumped away from each other. I turned to see what made that noise to see a man in the doorway. He was tall maybe 6 feet. With short curly hair that was chestnut and blue-green-gray eyes. He looked only at Brac who was on the bed. When I looked at her I saw she had a look of pure surprise and need. I was lost. I looked back at the man he looked young maybe he was 18 or something.

“Dana,” It was a low whisper but I know it came from Brac.

“Ya,” Was all the man could say before he came running to Brac's hospital side bed.

Brac

He was here. Dana was here in the flesh and he came back. I was over joyed but I wanted to know why he had came. And how did he find me? I never told anyone what I was doing or where I was going. No one. Not even myself for a time before I got on the train. And met a very handsome boy whose name means Strong Warrior.

“What are you doing here?” I said to Dana. “How did you find me?”

“Well, you weren't easy to find to say the least.” Dana said.

“I made it that way.” I countered.

“Well, maybe next time you shouldn't just up and leave us all behind.” D snapped.

“What's it to you anyway. Before I left I went to my freshman year and did half my sophomore year online, while you were living it up over at your school. 'The School Soccer Star'” I say in mockery. “You didn't even care after 8th grade. You didn't see me everyday so why should you care we weren't friends anymore. You just threw me aside like a used condom. And I know you knew why I used that reference.” I was about to explode, then I felt someone rubbing their thumb around my hand. I followed the thumb to where Ajax stood his ground and looked at me with what I could tell were sorrowful eyes.

Ajax turned to Dana. “I think you should leave. Brac obviously doesn't want you here.”

Dana's head jerked to Ajax. “What?!” Rage filled his eyes. “What?! Did you just say?!”

“I said you should leave 'cause no body wants you here.” Ajax said very calmly but his grip on my hand got tighter. He was worried about me? Or was it his heart? Oh! Crap His Heart!

“I don't think you understands. She needs me here. I'm all she has left.” Dana was starting to go towards Ajax.

“Dana,” I said with the most forcefulness I could get without hurting my lung. Dana and Ajax both looked at me with surprise in their eyes. “Ya, I'm still here just so you know. I think you should know Dana that I left because I didn't have any reason to stay-” Dana opened his mouth. “Don't interrupt me Dana Anthony Jacobs!” I took a deep breathe but my breath was still shortening. “Now, as I was saying I didn't have any reason to stay permanently in Colorado. I would still visit but not stay in that house to be all alone everyday for the rest of my life. I needed to get out and my dad's old house was..is mine now so it was prefect. And I met someone.” I looked at Ajax when I said that. It was true I had met someone. Someone that I really didn't want to lose.

“You mean this loser.” Dana pointed his long boney thumb at Ajax. Dana started to laugh like he had heard the funniest joke on the planet.

“No!” I rasped. “I mean the cutest, hottest, most thoughtful guy I have ever met. The guy that inspired me to live and come back to him.” My breathe was coming faster. “And I'll give you a hint-” I started to choke. I couldn't breathe.

“Brac! Brac, hang on. Okay just hang on! Brac! Brac, don't leave me!” Ajax. I knew that. He was screaming for me not to die. Again.

“Get these boys out of here. Now!” Someone screamed. I could only guess that it was a doctor.

“Dana,” I rasped.

“Yes,” I heard the distant response. Then a grunt.

“It's not you.” I started to choke and shake again.

I heard some say something then a crash and a,

“I'm going to kill you. You stupid little boy.” Then, a,

“Get him out of my hospital! I never want him back in my town either!”

I don't know who it was,but I was grateful. And that was the last thing I remember before I saw black and black and one of my favorite colors, black.

Ajax

He got a good hit in. Got me in the left eye. Nice right hook for a skinny as (with an extra -s on the end) but terrible aim. I wish I would have gotten a punch in before the Sheriff had his men dragged him out of the hospital. Glad he did it when he did it, too. Nate just came around the corner and look like he was ready to kill someone. (Hint: It was that boy that was dragged out just a second ago, Dana, I think if I remember correctly.)

“Who was that?” Grace came to help me up.

“Someone Brac knows.... used to know.” I look the door that leads to Brac. Doctors, nurses, machines all rushing in and out of that door to do something, anything to make sure she doesn't die on them.

“Mr. Ajax,” I turn to the person who said my name. “I'm Sheriff King.” He put out his hand. I shook it like a normal person would but really didn't care about who he was unless he had news on my Brac. “I need to get a statement from you.” I gave him a quizzical look. “I need you to give me the run down on what happened the night of the accident and what the man looked like. Then we can find him and bring him to justice.” I looked back at the door. “Why don't we move down the hall a little bit or maybe into this waiting room, right here.” Sheriff King lead us into the waiting room. I took a seat not to far from the door, do I could run out at any time. Nathan and Grace stood, but Sheriff King took a seat across from mine.

Recalling the question I began to speak. “Ummm....Okay. If it'll help get this guy.” I looked at the Sheriff. “To be honest I haven't actually haven't even thought about the night since I woe up. Both times.” I heard a chuckle then a smack, then a giggle followed by another smack. I laughed a little. Grace and Nathan always at it even in front of the Sheriff.

Sheriff King looked at Nathan and Grace. “Nathan,” he nodded to Nate.

“Mr. King,” Nate nodded back.

“Grace,” Sheriff King said with a smile.

“Hi, Daddy. Thanks for the help.” Grace smiled back.

“Daddy??” I said in disbelief.

Grace, Mr. King, and Nate all looked at me. “Oh! That's right I never told you that the Sheriff was my father. Well better late then never.” Grace said. “Daddy, Ajax, Nathan's little brother. Ajax, Daddy. But I think he'll like it if you call him Mr. King.”

Mr. King put out his hand for me to shake but I shook my head in stead. “Daddy??” I repeated. I still couldn't believe it.

“While Ajax is on autopilot lets talk, Daddy.” Grace said.

“I can't I'm on duty. I need to talk to Ajax and get the description of the man that shot him.” Mr. King responded.

I shook my head again clearing it of the whole DADDY thing. “Right, you want me to describe him for you?” I looked at Mr. King. He nodded. “Well,...Lets see....ummm I have to remember the night first I guess.” I looked at Nate and started to recall the night. “Grace and Nathan were talking,” I wasn't about to tell the SHERIFF that his daughter was making out with my brother, 'cause I'm pretty sure we would have all died right then and there. “Then I convinced them to let me cook for them. While they ate at the table I went outside to eat. When I was done I came inside to put away my dishes, but that was before I heard someone screaming my name. I put them away then went outside again. I saw a man-”

“Can you describe him for me?” Mr. King said.

“Slightly tall, dark hair- short-, ummm..” I was trying to remember his face but I got a fuzzy outlook. I kept trying and trying until my brain and head started to throb. “I....I...I can't remember much more than that.” I buried my face in my hands. “I'm sorry. I really want to find that murderer.”

Mr. King looked at Nathan then back at me. “How do you know about the second body?” He looked shocked that I knew about it, but I thought everyone did.

“Brac,” I answered. “The girl that saved my life. She ran across the street. That's why I heard my name being called. She saw a body in the street, didn't know who it was but he was about my height so she thought it was me. Then she heard the shots that got me and ran toward them.” I looked at Mr. King. “Why are you asking about the second body or well the first since I'm not dead but sure, but why are you asking? Doesn't everyone know?”

© 2012 Wynn Clara


Author's Note

Wynn Clara
This is Clearly Not Finished, but hope to get reviews to help me along.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on April 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012

Author

Wynn Clara
Wynn Clara

Nowhere's, Nowhere, CO



About
From my poems I might sound broken, bu that's only on the inside. On the outside people say I'm as tough as nails, until I fall down stairs. :-D I am not weak, but I'm not strong either. I'm just ME.. more..

Writing
Mates Mates

A Story by Wynn Clara