Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Danir's Lullaby

Danir's Lullaby

A Story by Dark Rider
"

Inspired by the song "Mordred's Lullaby," by Heather Dale.

"
     The night was still as Danir walked carefully across the courtyard of the castle. The guards on the battlements either didn't see him, or gave his presence no mind. Why should they? I mean, he was the King's nephew. What should have set them off was why he was paying a visit this late at night, and why he wasn't going towards the front doors to enter the castle.

     Danir pulled his cloak tighter around his shoulders, trying to block the chilled wind that blew from the north. Winter here was harsh, and no person would be caught dead outside without the proper clothing. The stiff grass made a soft crunching sound as his black leather boots crushed them as he walked around the side of the castle, towards the stables. This was the only way towards the back entrance. As he made his way through the dark isle of the stables, Danir replayed the reason he was here. His mother's words echoed in his ears still, driving him forward.

     "Listen carefully, Danir," his mother said as he sat on the floor by her feet. Even though he was ten, he still liked to hear the stories she told to him.

     "What I am about to tell you, you need to take great care in not telling anyone else. Do you promise, my son?" When Danir nodded, she continued, "Your uncle, King Farrow, is a thief."

     "But, Mamma, how can he be a thief? He's the king. Doesn't he own everything he could ever want?" Danir asked, curiosity and confusion flickering in his eyes.

    "Yes, he does," his mother's voice grew colder, but he didn't notice it then. "But he shouldn't have been. You see, Farrow stole the throne from me. I was first born, so my father promised me that I would rise to the throne once your grandfather died. That is, if I married of course. But somehow, Farrow talked my father into giving my birthright to him, leaving me as nothing more than a princess."

     Danir looked at his mother's face. It still contained her radiant youth, and she would still be considered beautiful. "But you're the prettiest princess in the kingdom," he said, smiling innocently.

    His mother smiled slightly in amusement. "Thank you, Danir, but you're not getting my point. Farrow stole my birthright from me by convincing our father that he would be able to lead the kingdom better than I. He's a silver tongue, my brother, so I wasn't surprised that he got what he wanted. He used that flower he married to his advantage as well. Saying that he would already have a good queen by his side and would have many heirs. But that's where his plan failed. Now, I wish to reclaim what is mine.

     "Then why can't you just ask him for the throne back?"

     "It's not that simple," she replied. "He won't give back the item he stole from me. But he might give it to you."

     "Me?" Danir asked.

     "Yes, King Farrow has no children of his own," his mother said. "So I'm sure you would be the next in line as king if something were to happen to him. Then I would be satisfied with what has happened."

     "You want me to be king?" Danir asked.

     His mother nodded. "But you'll understand more when you're older. Now, how about I tell you the story of Sir Harlad and his battle against the great Dragon of Urr?"

    That was one of the first memories of his mother's plan that Danir could remember. She was right. As he grew older (for he was now in his seventeenth year of age), he could see what his mother was talking about. Every time he would ask his uncle about why he was on the throne instead of his mother, the King would say a few fancy words and change the subject as if he had never asked the question in the first place. That was enough for Danir to buy completely into what his mother said. This made him accept her plan to regain the birthright.

     "You've done well in your training, my son," his mother said. Her face lost her youthful radiance, and now showed the signs of her aging. Her eyes were colder, and her voice was hard. But Danir had grown used to those changes in his mother, for he knew she had a right to feel that way.

     "Thank you," Danir said. "Is finally time for our plan?" He had been looking forward to this day since he had reached his thirteenth year. The day he would get his mother's birthright.

     She nodded. "Yes, my son, it is time. You already know what to do, and I trust that you will be successful." She gave a smile, but it was not that of a kind nature.

     Danir nodded, and he left his home, grabbing his cloak and sword as he went.

    Now was the time to strike, and Danir didn't hesitate to open the old wooden door that led into the servants' chambers. He quietly slid into the dark halls and closed the door behind him, cutting off the only sliver of light to be found. Most of the torches that would have lit the way had either died out, or have been taken from their resting places to use elsewhere. But Danir didn't need it. For his eyes were already growing use to the darkness and he carefully made his way forward once more.

     Navigating through the twisting corridors wasn't a problem for Danir, for he had made sure to learn where each one led to during the years he spent readying himself for his mother's plan. Soon, he found himself in the main castle. A few guards made their way up and down the halls, and this time, Danir made sure to stay hidden from their sight. Of course, he could have easily made a lie about what he was doing here at such an hour, but then they would have went to get the king, and his plan would have failed then and there.

     Danir walked as quietly as he could to the grand staircase that led up to the second floor of the castle, his boots making a soft scuffing noise as they met the grey stone floors. Danir looked around him to make sure no guards had found him yet before he took two steps at a time, only stopping when reached the top. Looking around cautiously, he took he time moving towards the king and queen's room. This was when things would get dangerous. Two oak doors stood before him, and Danir stopped for a moment. He could hear his mother's words ringing in his ears once more, and he carefully opened the doors.

     Inside the room was huge. A large fire burned on the right of the doors, its warmth flooding out of the room as Danir opened the doors. It almost made him want to take off his cloak, but he knew better than to do that. Silently, he crept into the room. Thick rugs muted his footsteps as he walked over to the canopy bed on the opposite side of the room. There, he could see the two sleeping figures he was looking for. Danir unsheathed his sword, and walked to the left side of the bed. His mother had been right, Danir noted, when she described the queen as being a flower. Her face was that of a delicate flower, but was slowly starting to wilt from age. But that didn't matter to Danir as quickly dyed his blade red.

     Danir froze as he saw his uncle stir from his sleep. The king sat up and blink several times at him, not yet realizing what had just happened. He looked to his wife, and instantly flames of anger ignited in his eyes. He looked up at Danir for the first time.

     "Danir! What is the meaning of this?" The king demanded, picking up his dead wife in his arms and cradling her.

Danir stared at him with cold eyes, and replied coolly, "I'm returning the birthright you stole."

     His uncle didn't have time to reply before Danir's blade disappeared inside his chest. When it reappeared, blood covered every inch of the blade. Danir watched as his uncle stayed upright for a moment, before crumpling in and falling over his wife's body. Already the bed sheets were crimson, and a smile played across Danir's face. Everything had gone smoothly, just like he had hoped it would. Now he had to go back and report his success to his mother.

     He walked out of the room without a single glance back as he sheathed his bloodied sword. He tightened his cloak around him once more and made his way back towards the stairs. But he didn't have a chance to reach them when guards suddenly rushed upon him. Fear and panic gripped him. He had been careful not to make a sound, but he guess the king's shouts drew them to the room. Three guards held him tight, and he struggled against their hold while the rest of the guards went into the dead king's chambers. They came back out a few moments later, the one in the lead pointing his sword at Danir.

     "You killed the King!" he shouted, and placed the tip of his sword under Danir's jaw.

     This wasn't right, Danir thought. His mother said he would be fine so long as he was able to kill the king. He wouldn't have any trouble after he escaped, but now those plans were shattering. Danir saw the anger and hatred in the guards eyes, and without any warning, he condemned Danir to the same fate as his uncle.

    

***

 

     "He was successful indeed," Danir's mother muttered as she watched all that had happened from the top of the staircase leading up to the third floor. "He was much quicker than I thought."

     A cold smile played across her lips, even as she watched her own son get murdered. Of course, King Farrow wasn't the only silver tongue in the family. And for that reason, she was able to succeed in her plan of revenge so perfectly. Her son had done wonderful in returning the throne to her. But what he did not know in her plan, was that which befell upon him now. For it was not his uncle’s shout that attracted the guards, but it was her warning them of her son's assassination attempt upon the King and Queen.

     As she watched the guards carrying the lifeless body of her son down the steps to the main floor of the castle, she began to hum the lullaby she had sung to Danir ever since he was little, foreshadowing this day.

 

 

"Hush, child, darkness will rise from the deep,
And carry it out into sleep, child.
Darkness will rise from the deep,
And carry it out into sleep.

Guiless son,
I'll shape your belief,
And you'll always know
That your father's a thief.
And you won't understand
The cause of your grief,
But you'll always follow
The voices beneath.

Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, only to me

Guiless son,
Your spirit will
Hate her.
The flower who married
My brother the traitor.
And you will expose
His puppeteer behavior,
For you are the proof
Of how he betrayed
Her loyalty.

Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, only to me

Hush, child, darkness will rise from the deep,
And carry it out into sleep, child.
Darkness will rise from the deep,
And carry it out into sleep.

Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyalty, only to me

Guiless son,
Each day you
Grow older.
Each moment, I'm watching
My vegenace unfold.
For the child of my body, the
Flesh of my soul,
Will die in returning the birthright
He stole.

Loyalty, Loyalty
Loyatly, Loyalty
Loyatly, Loyalty
Loyatly, only to me

Hush, child, darkness will rise from the deep,
And carry it out into sleep, child.
Darkness will rise from the deep,
And carry it out into sleep."

© 2016 Dark Rider


Author's Note

Dark Rider
This was just something that popped into my head and was too good to let myself forget it. So, this is what happened. The lullaby at the end of the story if "Mordred's Lullaby." I know there's alread a story behind the song, but I wanted to do my own version. So I changed up the story a little from the story the song told because I thought it would be easier to write.

Please tell me what you think. If there is any grammer mistakes, please let me know. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nix
This is an exceptional fantasy short. I have read many fantasy books (being one of my favorite genres) and this is very well written. I love the twist at the end. You completely turned the tables and made the readers sympathetic towards Danir. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The poem/lullaby was also a very well placed addition. It didn't seem forced or out of place at all. I think I would have liked to hear more about the realm where this takes place, that lack of information might have been intentional. The only thing I think could have been improved was the description. I had a hard time picturing much of his environment. But a very well written story and I look forward to more fantasy shorts by you. LONG LIVE SHADESLAYER!

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Nick! I'm glad you liked it. I may do more about this realm, if I can think of a good way to.. read more



Reviews

this was really good> the deception portrayed is cynical and unexpected. great content!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Dark Rider

7 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.
OMG I loved it!!!!!!!!!! It was tense the whole way through and I kind of figured he would kill his uncle in the end and take over the throne. Karma is a b***h... lol. I loved the lullaby at the end. I didn't notice any grammer mistakes so great job. :) I absolutely loved reading this and I have missed reading your writing. I will search for more of your writing that I haven't read or reviewed yet. Perfect 100/100

Posted 8 Years Ago


Dark Rider

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading. I'm really glad you liked it. :)
KittyKatgirl

8 Years Ago

Of course. :) It is my pleasure. And haha there is nothing that you have written that I don't like.
There's a grammar mistake in your Note, but I'm sure that was intentional haha. Anyhow, I really liked it, the twist made me feel for Danir and it was heartwrenching to know that she had sung him that song ever since he was a child. I'm sure that also played a part in his downfall. Great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Dark Rider

8 Years Ago

Lol, I actually didn't mean for that typo to be in there. But thank you for pointing that out, and t.. read more
Its great! Amazing writing. Good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Hannah! :)
I am beyond proud. So many people have no idea what this song is and the fact that you not only know it, but you made a story out of it, makes me just smile. That being said I love the dark ending :) Keep up the good work

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Phantom! :D I only recently discovered what it was really talking about, and when.. read more
Amazing story... Wonder how you thought of something soooo nice... Keep it up

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

I wonder that myself. XD it was more or less just a spur of the moment idea while listening to the s.. read more
Wicked!! You really mess with my head! This totally surprised me and it kind of made me sad. This had a creepy side to it as well that I loved. You make fantastic pieces of work!
Cheerio!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, Ant. :) I'm glad you like it.
GREAT !!! you are such a great writer !!! this story is amazing , wonder how you get such good ideas.. the ending was thousand times more exciting than i thought it will be !! MAKE a book !!! publish one ! you got the talent !!! dont waste it !!!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

No, I haven't published in a magazine either. But I still don't think I'm that good.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Sherlock

10 Years Ago

:) !!!!!!!
*_* Amazing, but his mother? Killing her own son? How could she?!? Evil witch! *screams last part* Lol this is amazing, though I do see a few spelling errors (no offense) Great job with this, ma'am! Make it into a book ma'am!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

Haha, I'm glad you like it. And I know there's a few errors. They slip past me when I re-read it.
Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

Yeah. ^_^ Same here occasionally.
i think that was great xD i saw a coupla spelling errors...but i can't remember where haha :P

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dark Rider

10 Years Ago

thanks, Violent! :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

844 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on April 1, 2013
Last Updated on August 15, 2016

Author

Dark Rider
Dark Rider

Training with Halt in Redmont Fief, AL



About
"Do you give the horse his strenght, or clothe his neck with a flowing mane? Do you make him leap like a locust, striking terror with his proud snorting? He paws fiercely, rejoicing in his strenght, a.. more..

Writing
Help Help

A Poem by Dark Rider



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 11 Chapter 11

A Chapter by Dark Rider


Chapter 5 Chapter 5

A Chapter by Dark Rider


Help Help

A Poem by Dark Rider