A singular person

A singular person

A Poem by David O Whalen (O Haolin in Celtic)
"

To me...less is more

"
 I like to think that
I’m a singular person

Just not singular in any
Outstanding way

I like to think tho’, that
There’s something special

In the little things I do
And in a few of the things I say

I’m a man of few words
But a bearer of many emotions

I love wee little birds
And great briney oceans

Rustic ol’ bridges
And ol’ magic potions

Pump organs in ol Churches…
Sunday devotions

Yep…I like to think
That I’m a singular person

A peculiar man
In my own peculiar way

Not really outstanding
In my prosin’ and versin’

A man of few words
And I’ll keep it that way 


© 2012 David O Whalen (O Haolin in Celtic)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this! I can hear my aunts and uncles in your voice - southern Alabama, if you're wondering. Critique, 'cause that's what we all really look for if we're serious poets: Eliminate all the "that’s” from the poem except for the final one. they're cluttering up the rhythm and are mostly unnecessary. Take out the "just" from the 1st line of the 2nd stanza, again unnecessary and no rhythmic. Nix the "and" from the 2nd line of the 4th stanza, the almost repetition of the beginning of the two lines of that stanza works nicely. Alright that's the end of my cuts!

I hope you don't find me too obnoxious or presumptuous to suggest that your work be altered :) But I'm of a mind that always just complement someone work and moving on is like blowing hot air up someone's rear - unless of course, the work itself is a work of utter magnificence and should not be changed in any way. I submit my own work knowing, and hoping for such critique.

And as I tell everyone - You're' the artist, this is your art. Take or leave my comments as you will. If what I've said suits you, that is good. If not, that is good, too. No harm, no foul, either way. M.


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Added on May 13, 2012
Last Updated on May 13, 2012

Author

David O Whalen  (O Haolin in Celtic)
David O Whalen (O Haolin in Celtic)

Las Vegas, NV



About
Born in Kentucky, teen years in Loveland Ohio, old in age, young in mind, I'm not human, I don't believe in religion, love. faith or trust, I do believe in: lil' kids, ol' dogs, leprechauns, and water.. more..

Writing