To Our Readers on WC

To Our Readers on WC

A Poem by David Lewis Paget

When you settle down with your night-light on

And you face the computer screen,

Then point your mouse to the world-wide web

For an evening of dust and dreams,

You leave a trail like a silver snail

Though you crawl through the sites unseen,

And read what’s free on WC,

But the writers should know you’ve been.

 

You’d not sneak into a movie show

Without first paying your due,

So why would you come to our house of fun

Then leave, not write a review?

Each writer’s writing to entertain

Not asking for gold or cash,

But likes to hear what the readers think

So why not give it a bash?

 

There’s only ten in a hundred write

With ninety sneaking away,

Are you the one that remains unseen,

Or one of the ten today?

It’s not that we want a thesis, nor

A screed for a Ph.D.,

We’re quite content with a friendly face

To add to our family.

 

Don’t be afraid if your grammar’s off

Or your spelling’s not on cue,

You may not know what a sonnet is

You still can write a review,

And every race has a welcome here

For the world of the web is free,

We only ask that we see your face

On here, at WC.

 

David Lewis Paget

© 2014 David Lewis Paget


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is great David! I enjoy the writing so much that I sometimes get carried away on the comments...I tend to be long winded and go overboard but it is so amazing to me, the talents of so many...sometimes I think those who refrain from commenting may think they are not talented enough to speak on poetry in considering meter or rhythm or rhyme...but it is not what is expected...just a note speaking of the readers enjoyment...you've placed a proper invitation with this poem...Bravo!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ha...
You are a child of revolution David.
Keep throwing a spark and one day a fire may ignite...
Still, it is worth the effort to gather the tinder and throw the flinted shard.
I agree, but I doubt things will ever change.
Thank you for offering your masterful work still however.
I think most readers do not understand how their words could fuel our muse...
Be well and write on!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I've said everything I have to say on the subject now, both in the poem, and in my responses to the first eight reviewers, so for me now, the subject is closed. Time to move on. As a postscript however, I do note that at this point there are 106 views, and 12 reviews, which pretty well bears out my point,

Posted 10 Years Ago


I believe that often readers will go into a poem and read the first few lines to see if it is something they are interested in or something they may enjoy, and if that is not what they find, they leave. In my opinion, that is ok and their perogative. but I have also found that the more a poet reads and reviews other's work, the more reviews they get in return.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't review enough myself but if a word or two is enough for you, then Mr. Paget, I shall start reviewing every amazing work of yours after reading it. I loved how this particular one scolded me softly and not slap me cruelly. C:

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
:o
You wrote this in a professional manner which I agree with. I've seen so many poems with up to a hundred views but no reviews at all. Wouldn't it be good if we had to leave a certain number of reviews a week. Although I suppose when people fell short at the end of the week the reviews they would give would lack sincerity. I hope people read this and take heed to your message. We all need to contribute.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was cool and it made me smile, although you do only speak the truth.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It seems that people on W/C are here to get reviews, not to give them. I get very few reviews myself, and I'v given up expecting them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
Very nice mr. David!

I believed many of the user of wc are here to share and gain feedbacks/reviews. Most of us are here to share some feelings, that is why perhaps many of the sites users are aspiring poets. Many of the readers are here to read and review, then some are just here to read. I for one, don’t read much, but when I do, I always leave a review.

In receiving a review, I really don’t mind if its constructive or not, as long as you’ve leave a review, I treasure, even no matter how bad it is or no matter how short it is, I still accept it because you have given me a gift – food for the soul and our thoughts. But in all cases we must remind ourselves that this is a free sharing website, its either we gain feedback or not, the most important is we have shared our thoughts and feelings. That is also why I don’t mind if I received few reads or few reviews. Only a few close friends who comes by and leave a review, with that it’s more than enough. Those close friends, I consider them as family.

I have put in my about me section that, I don’t sent our rr or received one, because I want my readers to read me accordingly to their feelings and free will because that’s what I do.

I see in this piece, how you treasured a reviewed, to know that you achieved or entertained your readers. And you treat them as family as well.

I think it’s been long I haven’t visited your verses sir. But I do, I put a review, because I know how your verses are really well put and done well. And I do believed this is a good reminders to all the readers and the silent readers.

well penned sir, thanks for sharing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

David Lewis Paget

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pax, in defence of RR's, they do enable us to let our friends know when we have posted. Wheth.. read more
Bravo my friend for putting the jab where it needs to be!! I am not on as often as I would like to be so I don't do many reviews, don't send out read requests, but do try to keep up with the new works of my friends as I am able. I have stopped expecting reviews for my work as I am lucky to get 2 or 3 for most of my work, and the stats - well I have just given up on those. I sometimes question if I am really that bad of a poet, or that much of bore, but then decide that I enjoy writing and posting and sharing, so I continue - with, or without reviews.

It is beyond me as to why so many stop by and don't leave a comment, not even a "word or two" to let one know they have at least taken a look.

I am glad you have written this!! It's good to speak out!!


Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

David Lewis Paget

10 Years Ago

Thanks Sheila, the pleasure we get from writing should really equate with the pleasure others get fr.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1083 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2014
Last Updated on January 7, 2014
Tags: trail, free, entertain, review

Author

David Lewis Paget
David Lewis Paget

Moonta, South Australia, Australia



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..