The White Wolf 2

The White Wolf 2

A Story by Dawn Wolf Productions
"

Rowena's gone but her family still remains. Jade is Rowena's white wolf daughter who is taken to a secret city by humans and has to find her way home.

"

The White Wolf 2

 

Jade's City Adventure!

 

It was a lovely sunny day for the boreal sanctuary. A pack of wolves lay in the sun and swam in the still stream water. Two white wolves were lying the shade of a tree when a red wolf walked up to them.

 

"How are they?" the male white wolf asked.

 

"They won't feed." the female red wolf replied.

 

A black wolf came over.

 

"You sure?" he asked.

 

"Yes. I tried and tried but they just won't adapt." the red wolf replied.

 

"Uncle Kaleb, can't you just give them meat?" the female white wolf asked.

 

The black wolf, Kaleb, shook his head.

 

"They're too young for that, Jade." he replied.

 

"Oh. Untie Lynn? Why won't they just feed?"

 

"They spent the last two months with Rowena. But now she can't feed them." Lynn explained, "If they don't eat soon then they'll die."

 

"Oh. When will they started eating meat?" Jade asked.

 

"Hopefully soon." Lynn replied, "They need to eat and I'm getting to old for the job."

 

"Oh."

 

"Enough with the 'oh`s' already." the male white wolf burst.

 

"Seff." Kaleb said, "Don't be mean to your sister."

 

"Sorry." Seff apologized dully.

 

"It's ok Seff." Jade replied, "It's just my nature."

 

That night all the wolves of the pack gathered for a meeting.

 

"Wolves of Rowena's pack!" Lynn called, "As you may know, our beloved alpha was killed by the Death Sentence! A disease that kills one wolf and then moves to another! But she will be remembered! So now Kaleb and I are your new alphas until the day we die!"

 

The wolves cheered. Kaleb was watching the crowd when he noticed something.

 

"Lynn, where's Jade?" he asked.

 

"Jade?" Lynn saw that she was missing, "Jade? Jade!"

 

Jade had run off when Lynn started speaking. She went to a meadow and stopped on a rock. She let tears fall as she remembered her worst visions.

 

*Jade's vision*

 

Tomi was hunting some moose when a poacher spotted him. The poacher leveled his gun and took aim. The moose looked up. They could smell the poacher and ran. Tomi crouched low and pounced.

 

BAM!

 

Tomi fell on the grass. Blood leaked from his shoulder as the poacher approached him. Tomi wasn't breathing, he was dead.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Rowena lay in her den, four pups cuddled up to her. She was dirty, muddy, and weak. A brown and white wolf walked in.

 

"Please don't die, Mother." she said.

 

"Malaya, it's time for me to go. I know you'll be strong. Just don't fight for my life. It's not yours so let it go." Rowena replied weakly.

 

"But it's the life of my beginning you're taking with you." Malaya answered.

 

Rowena smiled.

 

"It's time." she whispered.

 

Tears fell down Malaya's face.

 

"I'll be ok." Rowena said quietly, "Wakanda, and my siblings are up there. Besides, I'm always with you. Take care of Emma."

 

Malaya nodded. Rowena smiled again.

 

"Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday." Rowena muttered, "Coming home, I'm coming home. Tell the world I'm coming… home."

 

Rowena had chosen last words wisely. Malaya went outside and howled sadly. She was doing what her mother said. She was telling the world that Rowena was going home.

 

*Present time*

 

Jade cried and cried and cried. She looked up.

 

FLASH!

 

A city of all colours glowed with a gold beam.

 

FLASH!

 

Jade heard a stick crack.

 

"Jade! There you are." Seff said, "Everyone's worried. We thought you were lost."

 

"I know this place inside out, how could I get lost." Jade replied.

 

"Jade, you're only 15 1/2 years old! Anything could happen to you."

 

"You don't know that!" Jade shot back.

 

"Yes I do! I was there when the humans stopped protecting us! I know they'll stop at nothing to get us. We're treasures to them."

 

"So!? I don't care if the shoot me, stuff me, and dump me in a museum! I don't care if they cut me up into food or hang me on a wall or even use my dead blood-covered body as a rug for warmth and decoration! Or even a coat! Do you know how many wolves get made into coats?"

 

"Jade-"

 

"Do you Seff? Do you! Cause it's an awful lot in case you hadn't noticed."

 

"Jade! Listen. I know all that stuff. But one thing is wrong. You are afraid, Sis. You're afraid because of what happened to Dad. I know. I know because your eyes glow when you have a vision or remember something in the past. I know you're scared, Jade, but don't lie about it. Lying only makes things worse."

 

Jade sighed, "I guess you're right. Just give me five minutes and I'll come back."

 

Seff nodded, "If you're not back in half an hour I'll come looking for you."

 

Then he left. Jade turned around and walked further out into the meadow. She spotted some moose just as her stomach growled.

 

"Aah." she muttered.

 

Jade crouched down and started stalking the moose herd. She saw a moose calf and decided to aim for it as her target. Suddenly the moose were alert. They ran away from her. She growled and stood up.

 

Click!

 

"Huh?"

 

SHROOOOOM!

 

A bullet buzzed her.

 

"WAAAA!" Jade screamed and rocketed towards the forest.

 

SHROOOOOM!

 

Another bullet whizzed past. This guy didn't have a very good aim. Then she skidded to a stop. A human appeared in front of her.

 

"Poachers." she whispered.

 

"C'ere you." he said.

 

Jade gulped. How had she not smelt him. He aimed his rifle at her. She dodged it at the last second by running between his legs. She zoomed past a truck and ran for the den. The poacher faced her as she ran.

 

"Get it!" he yelled.

 

"'It'? 'It'!? I'm no 'it'." Jade turned to face them, growling.

 

Then something controlled her body with sharp pain and she fell. She hit her head on a solid stone and got knocked out. Two humans approached her.

 

"She out?" one asked.

 

"Yep." the other replied.

 

"Good. Let's get this dog back to Crevasses."

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

A city of all colours glowed with a gold beam. It had sky scrapers, houses, and three tall sky towers. It had roads and footpaths. Fire hydrants were placed in different places throughout the city. Dogs of all sorts went about daily tasks with their owners and the strays were in the pound. A hole leading underneath a building turned into a huge den with all sorts of dogs in it.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Jade awoke with a start. She panted, recovered, and looked around. She was in a cold, grey, metal box. There were a few holes near the top on the left and right sides.

 

"Where am I?" Jade asked no one.

 

Then she notice the vibrations coming from the floor of the crate. She was in a car (not that she knew). Then the car hit a bump.

 

"AAAH!" Jade gasped as she fell towards floor.

 

She picked herself up and decided to use her nose. She sniffed and smelt more smells than she could count. She could smell all the boxes made out of wood, metal, and steel. She could smell packages and bags and even the left front tire of the car that several different dogs and peed on. But above all that she could smell the strong sent off humans. She gulped, the smell off man was not good. She fell down again as the car hit another bump.

 

Picking herself up she sighed and lay down. She wasn't feeling too good. 'Maybe some sleep will help.' She thought. Closing her eyes Jade let the thoughts in her mind abandon her as dreams came in.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Back at the pack, Seff had noticed that his sister hadn't returned for two and a half hours. He got curious and decided to look for her. He followed her sent right to the edge of the forest in the Eastern Fields pack.

 

"Seff!" a grey wolf called, "What are you doing here?"

 

Seff turned around to see an aged wolf.

 

"Oh, Philomena, you scared me." he said, "I was just looking for my sister."

 

"You mean which one exactly?"

 

"Jade." Seff said, "I was following her sent. I think she's come into contact with humans."

 

Philomena gasped, "You're kidding, right?"

 

"No, I'm not." Seff replied, "I followed her sent until it changed and now I'm following what smells a white husky."

 

"Seff, please understand that your mother had powers so it's only obvious that your sister has powers too. But please, Seff, stay here. Only you can protect us properly. If you go we are most likely to have to wait three years before another white wolf is born." Philomena explained.

 

Seff sighed, "I guess you're right. If I let myself go out there both me and my sisters will die."

 

Philomena nodded, "It is better if you returned to your puppy sister."

 

Seff nodded and left. Over where ever Jade was there were lots of people moving her crate onto a ship. One of the humans slipped a needle into the crate and pulled it out again.

 

"OW! That hurt!" Jade yelled but all the men heard was whimpering and barking.

 

After a few minutes Jade fell asleep again. But a few hours later she awoke. Still drowsy and still on a boat. She quickly recovered and felt a slight sickness fill her stomach. She lay down to fall asleep but couldn't and there were no plants or fresh water for her to eat or drink. The sickness had filled her up to her throat and was now creeping towards her mouth. She tried to hold it back but couldn't.

 

Seff had returned to his pack and went straight for the alpha den. Inside were four young pups still waiting for their mother to return.

 

"Hey guys." Seff said lying down next them, "Why won't you guys feed?"

 

The pups started to move towards him and cuddled up to his belly. Seff's eyes widened as the white pup crawled between his front paws to sleep.

 

"Oh, Aoatea, what should I do?" he asked.

 

The white pup whimpered a bit in reply.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Jade heaved. She didn't like throwing up but she was alone in her crate. She had been going for five whole minutes. Her throat hurt, her stomach was empty, and her food had spread out over the floor of the crate. She had nothing else to give so she sat down and waited for the ride to end.

 

When the ship finally did stop Jade was too weak to nibble at the fingers of the human's hands as they lifted the crate. She got set down again and a familiar bumpy ride started. The ride was only a little bit smoother than the last car ride. But it was a lot shorter. She got moved for the fourth time and the door of the crate opened up. A man reached in a put a collar around her and pulled her out on a leash.

 

"That's quite a mess she's made there." he said, "Any chance she's got motion sickness?"

 

"I don't know." another man said, "But judging by that mess then, yeah, I guess she did."

 

Poor Jade was too tired to fight and just went alongside the first man as he led her past rows of noisy, barking, dogs. She read each board as they went past.

 

'Stray dogs, Homeless dogs, Wild dogs, Mothering and Pregnant dogs, Puppies, Lost and Found dogs.' They went down the 'Lost and Found' row a few meters and stopped. The human opened a cage door and put her in. She managed to read to sign on the cage before she entered. 'Huskies' it said. She looked down at herself. The sign was right, she was a husky- no- she was a wolf disguised as a husky. A white one too. The human took her leash and collar off.

 

"No collar of your own, huh?" he said, "Well, if no humans come to pick you up then we'll put you in the 'Homeless dogs' section."

 

The human walked off and Jade sighed. It smelled terrible in here, but she smelled way worse. She wanted to go home and jump in the lake. Jade closed her eyes- home. She missed it. She didn't even notice a figure appear from the shadows of her cage.

 

"Well, you must be the new husky." the male voice said.

 

Jade gasped and turned to see a brown husky.

 

"I'm Kudo. And you are?"

 

"Jade." Jade replied.

 

"Jade, huh? Well it's nice to meet you Jade." Kudo said as he circled around her.

 

"Um, yeah, same goes for you, Kudo, but listen, I've had a really hard day so I'm just going to have a nap." Jade replied.

 

"Ok."

 

"That's fine with you?"

 

"Yep." Kudo sat down, "I've been here so long I'm use to any huskies wanting to sleep when they come in."

 

"And how many is that?" Jade asked, lying down.

 

"None." Kudo replied dully.

 

"Smelt like that." Jade said and went to sleep.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

When Jade awoke Kudo could be found in the shadowed corner of the cage. She looked at him- he seemed so sad. She decided to talk to him and got up.

 

"Hey Kudo-" she started.

 

Kudo was rather startled by her voice and spun around.

 

"Hey! Jade! You scared me there." he exclaimed.

 

"Sorry. You just looked so sad and bored."

 

"I did? Oh, that's because I slouch a little. I'm fine, really!"

 

"Ok. I guess I'll just go back to sleep then." Jade turned and went back to where she had been sleeping.

 

Kudo sighed. He looked at the pictures he had been sitting on to hide them from Jade. He sighed sadly and slipped the pictures under a mound of dirt.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Seff yawned. He looked at his four siblings cuddled up to him. He smiled and closed his tired eyes again.

 

"Well, look who's playing b***h." a female voice said.

 

Seff shot his head straight up to see Lynn.

 

"Oh! Lynn, I, uh, didn't know you were there." he said.

 

"As I noticed. But the pups seem to like you, though. Now if you could just feed them."

 

Seff blushed with  embarrassment and smiled sheepishly. Lynn smiled.

 

"Out." She ordered.

 

"Yes, Ma'am." Seff whimpered, quickly leaving the den.

 

Lynn smiled again and lay down next to the pups.

 

"What am I going to do with you lot?" she asked, "You won't feed, and now you won't even cuddle up to me."

 

Lynn watched as the pups crawled their way to the other side of the den.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Jade awoke again to the sound of dogs barking and gates opening and closing. A man unlocked the door to the cage she was in and placed two bowls on the ground. He then locked the door and went to the next cage. Kudo ran over and started eating the food in one of the bowls. Jade walked over.

 

"What is that?" she asked.

 

"Only the most delicious dog food in the world!" Kudo said with his mouth half full.

 

"And that would be?"

 

Kudo swallowed, "Beef, Chicken, Pork, Lamb, and Turkey all mixed together with vegetables to make moist Wolf Meat."

 

Jade was unsure. The 'Wolf Meat' part didn't sound right. Was it really made from wolves? According to Kudo it wasn't. But still, she wasn't about to eat her own kind, no way.

 

"Uh, no thanks Kudo." she said.

 

Kudo shrugged and continued his meal. Jade just ignored the bowl left for her. Instead she took interest in a couple of border collies fighting over a bowl of spilt dog food.

 

"It's mine!" the first one growled.

 

"No, it's mine!" the second shot back.

 

"Um, excuse me girls? Can't you share or something?" Jade asked.

 

A male border collie behind the fighting pair spat out his meal and started laughing.

 

"Them? Share? You must be joking!" he exclaimed as all the dogs in the row started laughing.

 

"Well, if you're not going to share…" Jade picked up her bowl of dog food and pushed through a hole in the fence, "Then I'll share mine. I'm not hungry anyway."

 

The border collies looked at each other and went to their meals. Jade smile as the younger of the females ate out of Jade's bowl.

 

"My name's Cas, Cassandra actually." the border collie said.

 

"My name's Jade." Jade replied.

 

"What's your nickname?"

 

"What?"

 

"Your nickname. Everyone has one. My nickname's are, Cas, Cassie, and KayKay."

 

"Um, ok." Jade was a little unsure about that.

 

"How about I call you JayJay?" Cassandra asked.

 

Jade just stared, "Uuh, ok."

 

"Great!"

 

The next day, all the dogs in the pound were let out of the inside enclosures and into the four larger enclosures. One for large dogs, one for small dogs, one for medium dogs, and one for huge dogs. Kudo explained that every weekend all the dogs were allowed outside. Saturday was the only day in the weekends that people could come to adopt or buy dogs- and today was Saturday.

 

"Hey." Jade said to Kudo.

 

"Hey." Kudo replied dully.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"I just don't want to be taken to a human home." Kudo explained.

 

"Why? Is it bad there?" Jade asked.

 

"No. I just… I already have a home of my own."

 

"Where?"

 

"Um, in a hidden place that only a small few dogs know."

 

"Right."

 

"Look Mama!" a little girl burst suddenly, "That husky is white!"

 

The girl's mother smiled.

 

"It is, isn't it Sarah." she said.

 

Suddenly everyone had an interest in Jade.

 

"Mummy! I want that doggy!" a three year old boy exclaimed.

 

"Dad, can I have that dog?" a boy asked his father.

 

"I wants!" some twins yelled.

 

Everyone started arguing over who would get Jade. Then a young man went over to the cage and whispered something to the manager. The manager went into the cage. Everyone gasped. What happened while they were fighting? The manager walked towards Jade. Then past her. He stopped in front of a black lab puppy. He picked it up and went back to the young man.

 

"Here you go, Mr." the manager said.

 

The man took the black lab, nodded, and left. A quiet moment. Then everyone rushed over to the manager, pulling money out of their pockets. No matter how much he was offered for Jade the manager rejected it.

 

"Sorry everyone. We're closed!" he shouted.

 

The people drooped. Putting their money away they all left. The manager sighed with relief. That was too much excitement for one day.

 

That night Kudo was sneaking around, trying to find a way out. He didn't notice Jade wake up, or Cassandra.

 

"Where's he going?" Cassandra asked.

 

"I don't know." Jade replied, "Come on. Let's go see."

 

"Whoa, no." Cassandra answered.

 

"What?"

 

"Do you really think it's safe to go around stalking people?" Cassandra asked.

 

Jade looked at her, "Ok, no offense, Cas, but you don't know the meaning of stalking like I do. Let's go."

 

Cassandra and Jade followed Kudo to the fence where they saw him digging a hole. They watched as he crawled under the fence and ran off.

 

"Come on." Jade whispered.

 

"What!?" Cassandra whispered back, "Are you crazy!?"

 

"No. Just being myself."

 

Cassandra sighed hopelessly and followed Jade under the fence. The two followed Kudo for half an hour before he disappeared through a hole under a building.

 

"Can we go yet?" Cassandra asked drowsily.

 

"Come on." Jade trotted towards the hole, Cassandra followed.

 

Jade sniffed the hole.

 

"Smells like a lot of dogs." she said.

 

"Well of course it does." Cassandra replied, "It's the underground hideout for stray dogs."

 

"Wait, you know this place?" Jade asked.

 

"Yeah. I was born here. Use your nose some more and you'll be able to count how many dogs are down there."

 

"1,080." Jade replied, "Including Kudo."

 

Cassandra stared, "How did you-"

 

"Instinct." Jade said, "Now, come on."

 

Jade entered the hole with Cassandra close behind. They crawled a few feet before they entered a very large den. There were dogs everywhere! There were brown ones, black ones, grey ones, and white ones- but none of the white ones were pure white. A black and white husky came by.

 

"Well, hello there." he said, "I see you are new to these parts. I just wanted to warn you that some of the dogs around here are not the best. But we're all strays, just the same."

 

"Butch! Are you scaring pups again?" a deep voice said.

 

"No sir." Butch replied as a German shepherd walked over.

 

"Hmm. Scoot." the German shepherd said.

 

"Yes sir." Butch ran off.

 

"Sorry about that. Butch isn't the nicest dog in the city."

 

"That's ok. I wouldn't trust him anyway. He smelt and sounded evil." Jade replied.

 

"Really? You must have a good sense of smell then. It's unnatural." the German shepherd commented.

 

"It’s natural to me." Jade replied.

 

"Only a wolf would have such a good sense of smell. You must be gifted." the German shepherd smiled, "I'm Linus."

 

"I'm Jade. And this is Cassandra." Jade replied.

 

"Cassandra? Well, it's good to have you back. As for you, Jade, what's your story?"

 

"My parents both died and some humans took me away from my home." Jade explained.

 

"Aah. You're lost. Well don't worry. Here in Crevasses City every dog counts." Linus said then he walked off.

 

Jade watched him walk away.

 

"Ok, now, let's find Kudo." she said.

 

Cassandra sighed, "Ok, Jay-Jay whatever you say."

 

The two canines headed for a random den. Jade followed Kudo's sent until they found him with another border collie. Cassandra's eyes widened at the sight of the brown collie.

 

"Cassidy!" she exclaimed

 

"Cassandra!" the collie also exclaimed.

 

"Wait, Cassandra and Cassidy?" Jade questioned.

 

"Yeah, this is Cassidy." Cassandra explained, "She my sister. Well, one of them. Speaking of which, where's Violet and Suki?"

 

"In our den." Cassidy replied, "Want to see them?"

 

"Sure!"

 

Cassandra and Cassidy trotted out of the den and disappeared. Jade looked at Kudo.

 

"Why?" she asked.

 

"Huh?" Kudo looked at her.

 

"Why'd you leave?"

 

Kudo sighed, "Jade, today would've been the last day that I lived if I stayed any longer."

 

"What?"

 

"I've been in the pound several times and I've always escaped on a Saturday. But I overheard some humans speaking while you were asleep and they said that it was time for me to go- for good." Kudo explained.

 

*Flashback*

 

"I'm telling you, Boss, he's been in the pound seven times already! This is his eighth time here! That brown husky has to go!" a human exclaimed.

 

The boss nodded, "I understand, Hugo, but you must understand that all dogs deserve a chance."

 

"You don't understand! That one husky has come in here more times than any other dog here!"

 

"Fine, Hugo, he can take the walk on Sunday morning. But for now, good day."

 

*Present Time*

 

"After that I decided to take a look at these." Kudo pulled out some pictures, "Just in case I didn't get out of here alive."

 

He dropped the pictures in front of Jade. She looked at him.

 

"I know that if I get caught again there'll be no questioning the subject- they'll straight out kill me." Kudo let tears fall down his face.

 

Jade looked at the pictures. There was a picture of two adult huskies- his parents- and a picture of five young puppies all playing together, most likely his siblings, and then there was pictures of his friends. But one picture in particular that Jade saw was a picture of Kudo with a black male husky and a female grey husky.

 

"That's Shadow and Rachel. My best friend and girlfriend. They were siblings. Rachel got captured and sent to the pound and… incinerated before we could get her out. Her brother, one the other paw, was adopted by a human as a birthday present for a nine year old." Kudo said, "We lost contact with him after he got adopted."

 

"Wow. That must be really hard for you, huh." Jade replied.

 

"Yeah." Kudo sighed, "Losing your two closest friends is never easy. Ever since Rachel died I never looked at another b***h as a love interest, it was just too hard."

 

"But there's still someone for you isn't there? I can smell it. You know there's someone out there for you but you don't know who."

 

"Yeah. I'm sure there's someone out there that’s just right for me but I don't think you could help me." Kudo sighed.

 

"You know, I have a friend who could be just who you're looking for- but you said I couldn't help you so."

 

"No, no, tell me. What's her name, what does she look like, tell me! Please!"

 

"Well, her name's Romina and she has black fur, blue eyes, she's a great canine and she's sweet and friendly but don't get on her bad side." Jade explained.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, Seff had gathered a group of wolves and was following Jade's sent. In the group accompanying him was a black wolf, a dark brown wolf, a red wolf, a wolf-fox, and his sister Malaya. They had crept away from the lake and were heading towards the ocean. Seff was being very exact about tracing Jade's husky sent and was trotting along the road with his nose almost touching the ground.

 

"Seff watch out!" the dark brown wolf pushed Seff off the road just before a car came rushing by.

 

The men in the car had seen the wolves and were amazed by the sudden action.

 

"Oh my gosh! Hugo did you see that!? They were wolves! And they weren't from the lake either." the passenger exclaimed.

 

"How do you know?" the driver- Hugo- asked.

 

"Well, no wolf ever leaves the lake alive so they must be from the Salt Water Pack."

 

"If they were they would've attacked us! Not jump to the side of the road!"

 

While Hugo argued with his passenger, Seff was lying on his back in the dirt.

 

"Thanks Ohiu." he said.

 

"No problem, Seff." Ohiu replied.

 

"Yeah, nice save Ohiu but can we get going?" Malaya asked, "I have an uncomfortable feeling that we're being watched."

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

It was the next morning and Jade was having a good time. She had met Violet and Suki and Linus's group of german shepherd guards and was now meeting even more dogs. But her comfort didn't last long.

 

"Alright guys! Who wants some wolf biscuits for breakfast!" a giant bag of dog food spilt out over the dirt floor and Jade just about fell over when the dogs came rushing straight for it. Jade picked herself up off the ground and read the label on the almost empty bag.

 

"I know how you feel." a female voice said.

 

Jade turned around to see a german shepherd/border collie cross.

 

"I'm Germany. But please call me Germa. I once had a home but when my owner died I got sent to the pound. Linus helped me escape and I swore to myself that I'd never eat any kind of food with the word 'wolf' in it ever again because that's all I ate in the pound and I had a rash from it. So I go hungry whenever they serve this kind of food." the german shepherd explained.

 

Jade nodded, "Yeah, it's not easy like this."

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, Seff and his group had made it to a beach and were only about a mile away from the docks. The wolf-fox was a bit worried about what they would come across when her keen nose picked up a familiar sent.

 

"Uuh, guys. I think we should head back." she said uncertainly.

 

The group looked at her.

 

"Why?" Malaya asked, "What's to fear?"

 

"Can't you smell it? It's my old pack." the wolf-fox replied.

 

"And which pack is that?" Ohiu asked.

 

"The Salt Water Pack."

 

Just as she finished speaking a bunch of larger than normal wolves appeared around them.

 

"Oh crap." Seff muttered.

 

Before they knew it they were standing before the alphas with their life on the line. One wrong move and they would die. Seff knew it.

 

"Well! What do you want?" the male alpha asked.

 

He was the largest wolf in the pack. He was also the colour of fire and as Seff stared up at him the alpha's red eyes seemed to glow like embers in a fire. Seff looked away. Ohiu spoke.

 

"Alpha. I am Ohiu. This is Seff the white wolf, Flora the crossbreed, Akalu the red wolf, and Romina, my sister, the black wolf." he said boldly.

 

"Hmm. You seemed fairly confidant, Ohiu. You have a true alpha's mark." the alpha said.

 

"I was born with it." Ohiu said, lifting his head high enough for the alpha to see his alpha mark on his right eye.

 

"Hmm. I see. Are there any other alphas in your group with the mark?"

 

Silence. Only Ohiu dared to look at the alpha.

 

"Come on now, don't be shy." the alpha said.

 

Romina stood up, "I too have the alpha mark."

 

Romina showed her right paw. It had a green line on it which led to the alpha mark under her paw.

 

"Hmm. You, Seff, do you have the alpha mark?"

 

"No." Seff replied, "But my sister does. It's plain on her face."

 

"Go on." the female alpha urged.

 

"She's white and has one green mark under each eye. Her name's Jade- the same colour of her eyes." Seff explained.

 

"Aah. I think I know who you're talking about." the female alpha said, "Silt! Come here."

 

A female brown wolf walked up to them. She was smaller than the rest of the pack.

 

"Whoa." Seff whispered.

 

"My name is Silt. I'm an elemental earth wolf. The only female earth wolf in the pack." the wolf said.

 

"Um, hi. Nice to meet you." Seff replied.

 

Silt smiled. Seff blushed.

 

"Silt, here, will be escorting you to the docks, a mile away." the female alpha explained, "Once there a spirit wolf should help you get on a boat headed for Crevasses City. Um, that is where you're going isn't it?"

 

"Yeah." Malaya nodded, "You must have a good nose."

 

"Indeed. We each have great noses. Better than the average wolf, or fox." the alpha female looked at Flora.

 

"It's not my fault Dad had pups with a fox." Flora said.

 

"Hmm, yeah, well, you can go now."

 

So the group left. Silt led them to the docks with ease.

 

"Herse should be around here somewhere." she said when they reached the docks, "She's the outcast of the pack and spends most of her time here. She's a spirit wolf by the way, so be careful."

 

Seff nodded, "Don't worry. We'll be fine as long as we stick together."

 

"Yeah, I guess so. But I have to stay here. So I can't help you out of danger. You have to do it yourself." Silt replied.

 

"Ok. But I'm sure there's no other wolf prettier than you." Seff said.

 

But he spoke too soon. Because the second he turned around he saw Herse, and she was prettier than Silt.

 

"Oh, hi." he muttered.

 

"What?" Ohiu asked.

 

"Nothing." Seff replied before walking over to Herse, "Hi. I'm Seff."

 

"I'm Herse. Spirit wolf of the ocean. Or James bay."

 

"Well, it looks like your ship is about leave so, bye. And good luck!" Silt called before leaving.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, Jade had decided to take a walk at midday without an escort. She was deep in thought and her nose didn't pick up the creatures in the bushes.

 

"AAAHHH!" Jade screamed as a person pinned her to the ground.

 

Another human tied a leather strap tightly around her mouth. It hurt increasingly we he tightened the knot. Jade tried to  scream but her mouth was sealed shut so she couldn't get a word out.

 

"Got 'er." one of the humans said, "Let's go."

 

The humans stood up. One gripped her tail while the other held her front legs. The pain was excruciating. The people started to drag away when four german shepherds leapt out of the bushes and attacked the them. Jade fell to the ground and a fifth german shepherd ran over and tore the leather strap off.

 

"Linus!" Jade gasped, "What are you doing here?"

 

"Getting you out of here!" Linus replied before grabbing Jade's neck and dragging her towards the hideout.

 

Once they were underground, Linus put Jade down.

 

"Who were they!?" Jade demanded.

 

"Dognappers." Linus replied, "They steal any dogs they find. They kill the strays and sell the house dogs. You're lucky you weren't dognapped."

 

"You make a good point. But why do they attack at day?" Jade asked.

 

"Why do you think? Dogs only go outside during the day." Linus explained.

 

Silence. Then Linus spoke.

 

"Come outside at nightfall. We'll be waiting for you."

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, Seff and the others were on their way to Crevasses City. Herse was informing them about the city.

 

"I've ridden this ship all over James Bay. I know what to expect. So listen to me and you may just get out of the alive." Herse said.

 

"May?" Seff asked, "Why may?"

 

"Because every wolf I've taken to Cravasses has never come out." Herse explained.

 

"Wait." Romina stood up, "You're saying we have a very good chance of dying in there?"

 

"Well, yeah." Herse replied, "Only I have ever made it all the way around the lake."

 

"Oh. Just as long as we find Jade." Romina said.

 

"Who?" a voice asked.

 

Everyone turned to a barrel that suddenly fell over. A black wolf appeared. He had a scar on his face that Seff guessed was from a bear just by looking at it.

 

"Outcast, what are you doing here?" Herse demanded.

 

"I told you before Herse, don't call me 'Outcast.'" the black wolf said, "My name's Steven."

 

"Steven?" Flora asked, "Isn't that a human name?"

 

"Uh, yeah. I guess so." Steven replied, "But I try really hard to avoid human contact. By the way, I'm a shadow wolf."

 

"Well, shadow wolf Steven, welcome aboard." Romina said kindly.

 

"WHAT!?" Herse exclaimed.

 

"Thanks." Steven lay down with the group.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

That night, at the hideout in Crevasses City, Jade was staring up at the moon and the stars. She stared and stared but at least she noticed Linus come out.

 

"Jade. What are you doing up here? It's too early." he said.

 

"Early? I don't care about what time it is. I just come outside and watch the stars. And the moon too." Jade replied.

 

"Why? You're acting like a wolf." Linus said.

 

"Hmm, what? Sorry, I'm just thinking."

 

"About what?"

 

"My parents died. Most of my father's pack died in a forest fire and most of my mother's family was murdered." Jade sighed sadly, "If my sister dies I'll never forgive myself- she'll die because I left."

 

Linus watched her and smiled.

 

"You know, in two minutes everyone will come out and we'll start stray's night." Linus sat down next to Jade, "On stray's night all 1,080 of us come out and howl."

 

"Um, ok." Jade replied.

 

"I see you don't understand." Linus said as the the strays started to come out and sit down, "Allow me to explain."

 

"Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala" the dogs started quietly.

 

"Night

And the spirit of life

Calling" Linus said.

 

"Oh, oh, iyo

Mamela

Oh, oh, iyo."

 

"And a voice

With the fear of a child

Asking."

 

"Oh, oh, iyo

Oh, mamela

Oh, oh, iyo

 

Mamela, mamela-ya, hey-ya."

 

"But what about-" Jade got cut off.

 

"Wait

There's no mountain too great"

"Oh, oh, iyo"

"Hear the words and have faith"

"Oh, oh, iyo"

"Have faith."

 

"Hela hey mamela, hela hey mamela, hela hey mamela."

 

"They live in you

They live in me

They're watching over

Everything we see

In every creature

In every star

In your reflection

They live in you

 

They live in you

They live in me

They're watching over

Everything we see

In every creature

In every star

In your reflection

They live in you."

 

"Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

Ingonyama nengw' enamabala."

 

Everyone started barking. Jade looked around, shrugged, and tried to bark herself.

 

"ROL-" Jade started coughing.

 

Everyone looked at her. Linus walked over.

 

"Jade what's wrong?" he asked.

 

"I've never barked before." Jade replied.

 

Everyone broke into laughter. Even Kudo laughed.

 

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!" He exclaimed.

 

"Never barked before!?" Cassidy asked, "Everyone barks. You're a dog! You're meant to bark!"

 

Jade looked around. She drew her ears back. Everyone was laughing at her! She couldn't stand it. Jade ran away crying.

 

"Jade! Jade wait!" Linus was the only one not laughing.

 

Jade ran into the hideout and tucked herself away in the darkest den hole she could find. She lay there and cried tears of pure embarrassment.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, the moon was starting to set over Seff and his group when the boat they were on boarded the dock of Crevasses City. Herse led them to the walls of the city with Steven close behind.

 

"How do we get in?" Flora asked.

 

"Easy." Herse looked at Steven.

 

"Uuh…" they tossed Steven over the wall, "AAAAAHHHHH!"

 

Steven picked himself up off the grass and shook himself.

 

"What do I do?" he asked.

 

"Find Jade!" Herse replied, "She'll probably be at the strays hideout!"

 

Steven gulped, "Ok."

 

And with that Steven left the wall and headed for the east side of the city.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Back at the hideout, the sun was just peeking over the walls of the city when Linus finally found Jade.

 

"Jade. What are you doing?" he asked, "Are you alright?"

 

"No, I'm not!" Jade sobbed, "They laughed at me! I'm not like them! I can't bark."

 

"Jade, as ridiculous as it sounds, I can't bark either." Linus said.

 

"Then why don't they laugh at you?" Jade asked.

 

"I explained why I couldn't bark and how it happened so they trusted me." Linus replied, "Besides, if you practiced you would probably be really good at it."

 

Jade sat up, "Thanks Linus."

 

"You're welcome, Jade." Linus's ears twitched, "Something's up."

 

Linus and Jade went outside to see what Jade classed as a horror to see. The dogs were outcasting a wolf!

 

"Deception

Disgrace

Evil as plain as the scar on his face" Kudo and Butch sang.

 

"Deception An outrage!" Cassandra and her sisters sang.

 

"He can't change his stripes!" a husky said.

 

"Disgrace For shame!" Germa and some huskies sang.

 

"You know these Outsider types!" the husky sang.

 

"He asked for trouble the moment he came" a beagle sang.

 

"See you later, agitator!" Butch sang.

 

"Deception An outrage!" Cassandra and her sisters sang.

 

"Just leave us alone!" a german shepherd yelled.

 

"Disgrace For shame!" Germa and the huskies sang.

 

"Traitor, go back with your own!" another german shepherd exclaimed.

 

"He asked for trouble the moment he came" the beagle sang.

 

"See you later, agitator!"

 

"Born in grief

Raised in hate

Helpless to defy his fate

Let him run

Let him live

But do not forget

What we cannot forgive" everyone started to chase the wolf.

 

"And he is not one of us

He has never been one of us

He is not part of us

Not our kind

 

Someone once lied to us

Now we're not so blind

For we knew he would do what he's done

And we know that he'll never be one of us"

 

"He is not one of us" Germa sang.

 

"Deception" a grey german shepherd sang.

 

"Disgrace" another german shepherd sang.

 

"Deception" Butch sang.

 

"Disgrace" a border collie sang.

 

"Deception" Kudo finalized.

 

The wolf was now a mile away and still running. Everyone watched him leave. Jade couldn't believe what she just witnessed.

 

"How could you!" she yelled at Linus.

 

"Jade you must understand-" Linus started.

 

"Why!? Why should I trust you!? You just outcast a canine!" tears ran down Jade's face, "How would you like to be outcast by your own family!?"

 

Jade ran away crying. She ran away from the dogs, away from the hideout, and away from her new friends. She'd prefer being an outcast with that black wolf than being a secret wolf with the strays. So she ran away- away from everything. She didn't notice Germa, Kudo, and Cassandra come after her though.

 

"Jade! Jade! Come back!" Kudo yelled.

 

Jade didn't hear him and ran all the way to the west side of the city and lay down behind a skyscraper so she was in the dark on the grass. Germa, Cassandra, and Kudo appeared around the corner of the building to see Jade crying.

 

"Oh, Jade." Cassandra muttered, "You don't need to be sad about anything."

 

"Yeah, we're here for you." Kudo added.

 

"Just when you think

Hope is lost

And giving up

Is all you got,

Blue turns black,

Your confidence is cracked,

There seems no turning back from here" Cassandra sang.

 

"Sometimes there isn't an obvious explanation

Why the holiest hearts can feel the strongest palpitations

 

That's when you can build a bridge of light,

That's what turns the wrongs all right

That's when you can't give up the fight

 

That's when love turns nighttime into day,

That's when loneliness goes away,

That's why you gotta be strong tonight,

Only love can build us a bridge of light

 

When your feet are made of stone

You're convinced that you're all alone

Look at the stars instead of the dark

You'll find your heart shines like the sun

 

Let's not let our anger get us lost

 

And the need to be right comes at way too high a cost

 

That's when love can build a bridge of light

That's what turns the wrongs all right

That's when you know it's worth the fight

 

That's when love turns nighttime into day

That's when loneliness goes away,

That's why you gotta be strong tonight

'cause only love can build us a bridge of light

 

Deep breath, take it on the chin

But don't forget to let love back in

 

That's when love can build a bridge of light

That's what turns the wrongs all right

That's when you can't give up the fight

 

That's when love turns nighttime into day,

That's when loneliness goes away

That's why you gotta be strong tonight

'cause only love can build us a bridge of light

 

Only love can build us a bridge of light...

Of light...

Of light."

 

Jade smiled. She was the happiest wolf in the world at that point in time. She decided it was time her friends new the truth, so she stopped her husky hologram and revealed her true wolf self. Germa, Kudo, and Cassandra gasped.

 

"You're a wolf!?" Cassandra exclaimed.

 

Germa whimpered and ran back towards the hideout. Kudo and Cassandra just stood there and stared.

 

"Why didn't you tell us?" Kudo asked.

 

"I don't know." Jade replied, "Every time I thought about taking my hologram off, something seemed to say not to. So I didn't."

 

"Wait, you're, a white wolf?" Cassandra asked.

 

"Well, yeah." Jade replied.

 

"I don't get it. Why did you hide your true self?" Kudo asked.

 

"Because of what you did to that black wolf. It just wasn't right to be a wolf among dogs but that's why I left when you outcast that wolf." Jade replied, "It was wrong."

 

Kudo blinked. Cassandra smiled. She didn't understand what Jade had just said but she lay down next to her away.

 

"Jade, let me explain- Wolf was insulting Dog and so Dog out cast him." Cassandra said simply.

 

"No! That's wrong!" Jade exclaimed.

 

"Where's your proof?" Kudo asked.

 

"While my mother was looking for a mate a Spirit Moon appeared. And in the reflection of the red moon was Dog's face! He was missing an eye and his other eye had a scar on it. He was out cast by Wolf from the Spirit Pack while they lived a mortal life." Jade explained.

 

"Um…" Cassandra trailed off.

 

"Wolf is a white wolf. He chooses what happens. We- especially white wolves- just know his commands and follow them." Jade explained, "But sometimes Dog gets in the way and changes or destiny. Which is how I ended here."

 

There was a short silence which was broken by a booming voice.

 

"JADE! CASSANDRA! KUDO!" it was Linus, "WHERE ARE YOU WOLF!"

 

Jade gasped, "Linus is gonna kill me!"

 

"Not if we can help it!" Kudo said as he and Cassandra got into a protective stance in front of Jade.

 

Linus and his german shepherd team appeared around the corner. Germa and Butch were with them.

 

"Well, it seems we have a wolf and a pair of traitors with us." Linus said.

 

"What do you what Linus?" Kudo asked meanly.

 

"To rid all wolves from this city." Linus growled.

 

"Why?" Cassandra demanded.

 

"Because they are a threat to Crevasses City and everyone in it!" Linus yelled, "Now step aside. Now!"

 

Cassandra and Kudo didn't move. Linus looked at them.

 

"Very well then." he said, "We can do this the hard just as easily."

 

Two grey german shepherds leapt at Kudo and Cassandra, knocking them to the ground where they were held with the help of two brown german shepherds. Jade ran off.

 

"After her." Linus informed Butch, "Germa, you can help take these traitors to the pound where they are sure to be killed."

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Jade ran through the city until she reached a dead-end in an alleyway.

 

"Oh howl." she muttered.

 

Jade turned around to see Butch  and gasped.

 

"I knew you were different, Jade." Butch said, "You never seemed like a complete dog to me. And now I know why."

 

Butch lunged at Jade. Suddenly, a shadow seemed to knock Butch down to the ground and knock him out. The shadow turned into the black Jade had seen earlier.

 

"You're a shadow wolf!" Jade gasped.

 

"An outcast shadow wolf, actually." the black wolf replied.

 

Jade's eyes widened, "An outcast!"

 

"Yeah. I never fitted in  with the rest of the Salt Water Pack." the wolf replied, "I'm Steven."

 

"Steven?" Jade asked, "That's a human name you know."

 

"I know."

 

Butch groaned.

 

"I think we should get out of her while that guy's still out." Steven added, "Come on."

 

Jade and Steven ran out of the alleyway and headed for the city wall. They were almost there when Jade stopped.

 

"What's wrong?" Steven asked.

 

"Kudo and Cassandra! I can't leave them!" Jade exclaimed.

 

"Jade, they outcast me. They're evil."

 

"No! They're not evil!" Jade burst, "I saw what the pound was like. Dogs die there everyday! If we leave now my only two true friends will die!"

 

"But don't you want to go home?" Steven asked, "If you do this you could die."

 

Jade turned around, "I'm sorry Steven. But I have to do this. My mother came close to death more times than I can remember her telling me. The least I can do for her is risk my life."

 

And with that Jade ran off towards the pound.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Back at the forest, a full grown grey wolf of the Eastern Fields pack was taking a walk with her mate, another grey wolf, when she suddenly dropped to the ground.

 

"Lani!" her mate yelled.

 

Lani's marks started to glow. Her mate watched in horror as she trembled in front of him.

 

*Lani's Vision*

 

A group of humans had driven out to the edge of the forest. They were about 18 years of age and were looking for something to do. They had snuck away from their homes and out near the forest to… smoke!? They were drinking too.

 

"Hey, t'ink we should doooo some-t'ink?" one slurred.

 

"Burn ta fo'est?" the youngest replied.

 

The others nodded and agreed stupidly. The oldest one took some twigs and sticks and piled them up before lighting them. The drunk idiots laughed before hopping in their car and trying to drive away, only to do a U turn and crash into a boulder near the small fire. The car exploded into flames and the entire forest burnt to ashes in the giant flames.

 

*Present time*

 

Lani's eyes snapped open and she leapt to her feet.

 

"Lani! What happened!?" her mate asked.

 

"What will happen, Thau." Lani replied, "There's going to be a forest fire here tonight."

 

"Tonight!?" Thau burst, "We gotta warn everyone!"

 

Lani howled. Thau joined in. They were howling a warning that carried for miles. Every wolf in the forest howled and even packs like the Salt Water Pack heard the call.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, Jade arrived at the pound just in time to see Linus was about to call the humans out.

 

"Linus! Stop right there!" she yelled.

 

Linus looked at her, "Well hello, wolf."

 

Germa leapt on top of Jade and knocked her to the ground.

 

"Look at you." Linus said, walking over to them, "You're a white wolf and you're not using your powers?"

 

Jade stopped struggling and looked up at Linus.

 

"Oh, you don't know your powers do you?" Linus laughed, "You can speak to spirits and take other forms. And like your mother before you, you can stop many things from happening."

 

"Like?"

 

"Stopping your sibling from dying, stopping a whole herd of moose, and preventing your own death." Linus explained.

 

"If she could stop herself from dying then when did she die from the death sentence?" Jade muttered before she realized something, "Wait, how do you even know Rowena anyway!?"

 

"I've heard many stories through my lifetime and one in particular is about a white wolf that had 20 pups all to get white wolves to exist again before dying of a wolf disease that we dogs never get." Linus said.

 

Jade growled. Linus chuckled.

 

"Let her go." he said to Germa, "She won't attack me."

 

Germa got off Jade and stepped back. Jade stood up.

 

"How do you know I'm not going to attack you?" she asked.

 

"Because you won't get the chance to." Linus swiped Jade and she fell to the ground, dead.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Jade looked around. She was standing in a star filled sky. Down below was the city, bay, and- her home. A light shone faintly in front of her. Looking up she saw a large wolf appearing from the mist. It walked up to her and she saw just how huge it really was.

 

"You're the star wolf!" Jade gasped.

 

[Yes.] the wolf replied.

 

Jade gasped again, "You're THE star wolf!"

 

The star wolf nodded.

 

"You can only communicate by thought even though all the other star wolves can speak." Jade said.

 

[Correct.] the star wolf replied, [And now you are a star wolf too.]

 

Jade gasped a third time, "You mean- I died."

 

[Sadly, yes.] the star wolf lay down and Jade climbed on his back.

 

"What do you mean 'sadly?'" Jade asked.

 

[Linus decided it was time to kill you and you let him.] the star wolf explained, [But you could have stopped him if you had the chance to see what he was going to do.]

 

"But out destinies are all planned out by Wolf, right?" Jade asked as the star wolf walked across the sky.

 

[Yes.] he said, [But sometimes Dog gets in the way and destroys us.]

 

There was a short silence. Not even the pawsteps of the star wolf could be heard since he was walking on air.

 

"What is your name, star wolf?" Jade asked.

 

[I do not have a particular name.] the star wolf replied, [But many call me 'Dancing Stars' because I am made completely by the shape of the stars that move together in groups.]

 

"Alright, Dancing Stars, where is Wolf? I think he would like to see me." Jade said.

 

[I think you are right.] Dancing Stars replied.

 

Dancing Stars carried Jade to a bunch of clouds where sunlight shone through the shape of a forest. Jade recognized it from stories Rowena had told her.

 

"The Golden Forest." Jade muttered, "The Star City, the Wolf Heaven!"

 

[Yes.] Dancing Stars replied as Jade got off his back and landed on the cloudy ground.

 

"It's so soft." Jade muttered, "I never thought I would see or feel something like this in my whole lifetime!"

 

Jade rolled in the fluffy clouds as Dancing Stars explained.

 

[You are right, they are soft. But no other cloud like it is soft like this. Mostly clouds are made of water and air so this is something you will never find while you live. Only when you die will you get the chance to feel it. Either that or the sharp stones of the Black City.]

 

"The Black City? You mean Wolf Hell?" Jade asked, standing up.

 

Dancing Stars nodded. Then Jade saw something. Three wolves were standing in front of them. Jade recognized them in an instant.

 

"You're Wolf, Moonstone, and Lantin!" she gasped.

 

"That is correct." Moonstone said.

 

Jade defiantly gasped at this. Moonstone's voice was so… wholly. It filled Jade's heart and soul.

 

Moonstone smiled, "I know what you're thinking, White Jade."

 

"'White Jade?' How can I be a white jade?" Jade asked.

 

"You are a white wolf." Lantin said, his voice was strong as well as wholly, "Most wolves here are named by their species, if they have one, but white wolves are named by colour."

 

"Wait, if they have one?" Jade was confused, "How can a wolf not have a species?"

 

"Oh, I forgot, you are not the all-knowing white wolf. But, you are the changer. You are known as White Jade for you are white and your name is Jade." Lantin explained, "Your are also called Jade the Morpher. You can change into any shape you want for as long as you want."

 

"Wait, so I didn't make a hologram or anything like that?"

 

"No. You took a whole new form. That's what makes you unique."

 

"Oh. But-" Jade looked at a small hole in the clouds to see the city below, "But what about Kudo and Cassandra? They'll be killed if the stay there."

 

"You forgot that you are powerful." Moonstone said, "With our help you can get out of Wolf Heaven and re-enter your body."

 

"How?" Jade asked.

 

"Wolf will send you back." Moonstone said as Wolf stepped up to Jade.

 

Jade stared before closing her eyes. She heard Wolf's all powerful, strong voice speak.

 

"You are the White Jade." he said as his nose pressed firmly against Jade's forehead.

 

Jade passed out. She felt a falling feeling as her spirit rushed towards the earth headed for her body. She didn't feel anything after that.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Jade opened her eyes. She saw Linus was about to call out the humans of the pound. Her eyes dragged over to Kudo and Cassandra's knocked out bodies lying on the sidewalk. Jade looked back over to Linus. She closed her eyes.

 

'I need your help.' she thought.

 

[White Wakanda, White Rowena, White wolves of the past, present, and future. Join together to help you, Jade.] Dancing Stars voice said to Jade.

 

Silence. Jade could hear millions of heartbeats inside her chest beating faster and faster. She lunged at Linus with a roar-like bark. She was three times the size if Linus, plain white, and had glowing blue eyes. Her tail knocked out every dog that tried to stop her with an easy swipe. She growled at Linus.

 

[I'm going to do to you, what you did to me.] Jade said to Linus through thought.

 

Linus gaped as Jade rose her paw and swiped it across his body. Linus's body rolled with the force and landed a few feet away, dead. The german shepherds started to attack Jade but she knocked them out again all too easy. She then returned to her normal form and fell on the ground. She was weak. Germa was untouched and walked over to Jade.

 

"You died." she whispered.

 

"I did." Jade replied, "But Wolf brought me back."

 

"You were touched by Wolf." Germa said, "You are the white jade now, White Jade."

 

Jade's eyes widened, "White Jade?"

 

"You died and came back. Just like White Lantin of the Spirit Pack. When he returned he was called by his father, White Wolf, and he joined his family in the Golden Forest." Germa explained as Jade stood up.

 

"You- I-I thought you were on Dog's side." Jade muttered.

 

"My mother was part wolf. She was happy with her life. She grew up where the wolves lived but she didn't have an element." Germa replied.

 

"Your mother grew up the elemental wolves of the Salt Water Pack!" Jade exclaimed.

 

"Yeah, but after I was weaned, Dad found out about Mum and he sent her to the pound." Germa looked at Linus's unmoving body.

 

Jade gasped, "Linus was your father!?"

 

"Yes. But he was terrible at being a father. When he protected the strays any traitors were sent to the pound. He never took a life. Wolves and house dogs are outcast and left to die somewhere else." a tear fell down Germa's face.

 

Jade watched her before a coughing sound got their attention. Kudo and Cassandra were awake and slowly getting up.

 

"Kudo! Cassandra!" Jade rushed over to them, "Are you alright?"

 

"We're fine." Cassandra said quietly.

 

Jade smiled, "Ok, KayKay."

 

Cassandra smiled. The two dogs got up. Kudo looked Jade's forehead.

 

"What's that mark on face?" asked.

 

"What?" Jade asked.

 

Steven came running over, "Jade! Jade, what happened?"

 

"Um, I died." Jade said.

 

Steven saw the mark on Jade's forehead, "Wolf touched you and sent you back here to save your friends!"

 

"Um, yeah, something like that." Jade replied.

 

"Uhh…" Germa said.

 

"Oh, sorry Germa." Jade said, "Germa, Kudo, Cassandra, this is Steven. Steven, these are my friends."

 

"Pleased to meet you." Steven said.

 

"Same here." Cassandra said, "But if you don't mind. We've got to get out of here."

 

"Don't worry, Cas, I've got everything covered." Jade said before she let out a long howl.

 

After that they ran to the city walls and got on a ship leading for the mainland. Jade reunited with Seff, Ohiu, and Romina met Germa and Kudo, and that day, while Jade was watching Ontario get closer, Steven came out.

 

"Jade. Are you ok?" he asked.

 

"I'm fine." Jade replied.

 

"Are you sure? You don't look fine." Steven said.

 

"I've been thinking. The Spirit Pack had a family of each colour, a red, a blue, a brown, a yellow, a black, a gray, and a white." Jade explained, "The White Wolf family were the alphas. And Wolf's best friend, Dog, wanted to rule. He forced the pack to believe him and then he killed Lantin. But then Lantin came back. This was when Lantin was alpha and he rose from ground to sky. Then everyone turned on Dog. They outcast him but he killed them all that night. Only the pups got away. And that's the most important reason to why we are here today."

 

Steven smiled, "You know that I know that. Why are you so worried about it?"

 

"I never found out which pack they were from. All the packs were made by the wolves that escaped, along with Wolf's help." Jade said.

 

"No one knows which pack the Spirit Pack was." Steven replied, "Unless… Jade you could speak to the spirits and ask them."

 

"That's a good idea! Thanks Steven." Jade licked his cheek.

 

Steven blushed. Jade sat in the middle of the bow and closed her eyes with a sigh. When she opened them she saw Rowena and Wakanda standing in front of her.

 

"Mum!" Jade exclaimed, "Wakanda!"

 

"Jade, honey." Rowena said, "You are a powerful wolf."

 

"Please don't say that, Mum. You know that I miss you." Jade replied.

 

"White Jade, you have a question?" Wakanda asked.

 

"Yeah, what is the current name of the Spirit Pack?" Jade asked.

 

"The current name is Rowena's pack." Wakanda replied.

 

Jade gasped, "That's our pack!"

 

"It is. And soon it will change to Seff's pack." Rowena said.

 

"You mean Seff is going to get a mate?" Jade asked.

 

"Yes, but Jade. Danger is coming, a big danger. It will affect every wolf in and around the lake." Rowena replied, "But you will find out soon. Goodbye White Jade, I hope you save your family."

 

Rowena and Wakanda's spirits disappeared. Jade was heartbroken. Tears fell down her face as she stared at the sky. Steven walked over.

 

"You know, humans are just as mysterious as white wolves." he said.

 

"So?" Jade asked.

 

"So, they do strange things." Steven replied, "Strange things like this."

 

Steven pushed is nose up against Jade's, and not just his nose, his entire mouth connected with hers. Jade blinked before closing hers eyes. When they parted Jade couldn't help but stare.

 

"That was a human kiss, wasn't it?" she asked.

 

"Um, yeah. My pack lives life differently from normal packs." Steven explained.

 

Jade blushed bright red before pushing her mouth and nose against Steven's again. This time, Steven was the surprised one. The where distracted, though, by a long, low howl calling out to them.

 

"Can you tell what they're saying?" Steven asked.

 

"No, I never learnt how to translate howls from memory." Jade replied.

 

"Well, it sounds like there's trouble, so we should probably get over there." Steven said.

 

When the ship landed on the shore, Jade, Steven, Seff, and the rest started racing for the lake. It was hard for Kudo and Cassandra but they made eventually. Jade ran over to the Eastern Fields pack where she found Lani waiting, worriedly.

 

"Jade!" she exclaimed the second she saw them come into view, "Jade, we need help."

 

"What's going on?" Jade asked.

 

"Some humans are going to start a forest fire!" Lani replied.

 

Jade's eyes widened. This was unbelievable!

 

"When and where will it happen?" she asked.

 

"On the edge of the forest. In about half an hour." Lani said.

 

"Ok, we'll help save our home." Jade replied before running towards her own pack.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

When she got there, Lynn was the first to notice.

 

"Jade! Where have you been!?" she asked.

 

"Crevasses City." Jade replied quickly, "Sorry, I've got no time to talk. Forest fire on the way!"

 

Jade ran into the den and grabbed Aoatea by the scruff of her neck and ran back to the Eastern Fields pack.

 

"Jade! Why have you got Aoatea for?" Seff asked.

 

Jade put Aoatea down, "It's gonna take the three of us to stop this."

 

Seff just stared as Jade picked Aoatea up again and ran to the edge of the forest before following her.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

When there Jade put Aoatea on the ground again and watched as a car drove up to the forest. She whispered in Seff's ear then in Aoatea's before hiding in some bushes.

 

Seff put Aoatea out in the open, hoping Jade's plan would work. When the drunk idiots lit a small fire, Jade was quick to put it out. When they tried drive away but crashed into a rock by the forest- thanks to Aoatea being in the wrong place at the wrong time- Jade knew they were in trouble. She and Seff ran out of the bushes and pulled Aoatea away from the vehicle. Seff ran off with the white pup in his mouth and Jade started to follow behind when she heard a loud boom and turned to see the car explode. She didn't know why it did but she knew everyone was in danger. So she ran to the Salt Water pack at full speed.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Meanwhile, the fire was quickly spreading, and when it reached Jade's pack a big panic arose. Wolves rushed everywhere while Kaleb was trying to keep control.

 

"Everyone! Run upwind of the fire! NOW!" he yelled.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Lani was helping her pack herd the moose towards the lake when the flames cut them off.

Seff was hiding in a small hole he had made to protect himself and Aoatea. But he knew it wouldn't last long.

All the animals of the forest went bizerk and ran from the fire. And while all this was happening, Jade had returned with some ice and water wolves to help put out the fire.

 

"Now!" she yelled to the water wolves and they started controlling their element.

 

They turned to water and rushed through the forest. The ice wolves froze every burning tree and plant as the water wolves put out the rest if the fire before making every frozen thing melt and snow fell from the sky to put out any small flames that were missed.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

Back at the forest, all the packs were coming back to their homes. Lani had wound up at Jade's pack. Seff had returned with Aoatea in his mouth. And Lynn and Kaleb were inspecting the damage. Lani rushed over to Seff. He shook his head, he didn't know where Jade was. Kaleb and Lynn sat down. Steven, Germa, Kudo, and Cassandra sat down with the rest of the pack and Lani. They howled. Every wolf in the pack howled. Even Aoatea and her siblings howled. When they stopped there was silence, until a familiar howl replied.

 

"Jade?" Flora muttered.

 

Seff stood up. Some other wolves followed. Out of the darkness, Jade appeared, with a collection of ice and water wolves too.

 

"Jade!" Seff ran over and hugged his sister.

 

"What happened?" Steven asked Jade.

 

"I got some of the Salt Water wolves to help me. The alpha said he would change the pack name to the Elemental pack." Jade explained.

 

"Oh. I see." Steven replied.

 

"Jade?" a young voice said.

 

Everyone turned to see Aoatea standing on all four paws, tailing wagging. Jade gasped and ran over to her sister.

 

"Aoatea!" Jade hugged her.

 

"Jade?" Aoatea said again.

 

 

"What is it?" Jade asked.

 

"I'm starving." Aoatea muttered.

 

"What? Why don't you feed?"

 

"Aunty Lynn doesn't smell like Mum."

 

"Um, what about Uncle Kaleb?"

 

"He can't feed us can he?"

 

"You make a good point." Jade looked at her brother, a thought came to her, "What about Silt?"

 

"Who?"

 

"What!?" Seff exploded.

 

"Think about it Seff." Jade said, "It's our only chance."

 

"Who's Silt?" Aoatea asked.

 

"Seff's girlfriend." Jade replied teasingly.

 

"Hey! She is not my-"

 

Seff got cut off when a familiar wolf leapt on him and knocked him to the ground, on his back.

 

"Silt?" Seff coughed.

 

"Seff!" Silt gasped, she pushed her nose against his, taking Seff by surprise.

 

"See?" Jade said.

 

"Jade… I…" Aoatea collapsed.

 

"Aoatea? Aoatea!" Jade almost screeched, "Aoatea! Wake up!"

 

Lani reacted quickly. She ran past, picked up Aoatea, and ran into the den. Jade followed her to see Lani trying desperately to get something into Aoatea.

 

"Lani." Jade started, "She's not going to make it."

 

"No, she's going to live." Lani replied.

 

"No, she's not! Can't you see that!?"

 

Lani looked at Jade, "I'm a vision wolf, Jade. Trust me, and blow on her face."

 

Jade was confused but she obeyed. She gently blew on Aoatea's small face and a white mist came out. Jade stepped back and Aoatea started coughing. Three wolves came into the den with the other pups in their mouths.

 

Aoatea looked up, "Jade?"

 

Jade smiled, "It's me."

 

The other wolves cheered. Jade pushed Aoatea up to Lani's belly.

 

"Come on, Tea, even I can smell Mum on Lani." she said.

 

The other wolves put the pups down next Aoatea and the four siblings finally started feeding. Jade smiled. Her siblings were going live at last. She left the den to see Kudo, Cassandra, Germa, and Steven standing in a line, waiting for her. Jade walked over to Cassandra.

 

"Hey Cas." she said, "You can stay, you know."

 

"I know Jade." Cassandra replied, "That's what I'm going to do."

 

Cassandra wandered off and Jade approached Germa.

 

"Germany, you’re a great friend, and even though you tried to have me killed, your still one of the best friends I've ever had."

 

"Thanks Jade." Germa replied.

 

Jade went to Kudo.

 

"Kudo, even though you lost your true love and best friend, I want you to know that Romina and Ohiu can easily replace them."

 

"Jade, you do realize that I'm just an ordinary husky, right?" Kudo stated, "You're the only extraordinary wolf, or canine, I know."

 

"Thanks Kudo." Jade moved on to Steven.

 

She looked at him. He looked at her. What she say about him really? Was there anything to say? Jade decided there wasn't and placed her nose gently on his.

�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

A few months later, Aoatea and her siblings had been weaned and were running around with some pups that Lani had with Thau. Seff came out of the den holding one of his own pups in his mouth. Silt came over, laughing and tool the pup from Seff.

 

"I don't know how you can do this." Seff mumbled.

 

Silt giggled and entered the den. Seff collapsed by the stream only to have a bunch of pups jump on him. He sighed. Lani and Thau laughed. But out in the meadow, Jade and Steven were sitting on a rock, staring at the sky.

 

"You know, I kinda miss Dancing Stars, Wolf, Moonstone, and Lantin." Jade sighed.

 

"You will see them again though, and Rowena and Wakanda, too." Steven replied.

 

Jade giggled and nuzzled him, "I know."

 

The End

© 2012 Dawn Wolf Productions


Author's Note

Dawn Wolf Productions
I'm not the best at stories but I do try. All the names are spelt correctly because they're spelt the way I want them to be spelt.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on September 28, 2012
Last Updated on September 28, 2012

Author

Dawn Wolf Productions
Dawn Wolf Productions

Mungaturoto, New Zealand



About
I enjoy writing fiction stories about animals, especially wolves, and I have a dream of maybe turning one of my novels into a movie. more..

Writing