Trials

Trials

A Story by Dawn Writer
"

Yet another thing that randomly came into my head. Enjoy!!

"

The grounds were empty, the only movement that of a flitting shadow that made its way towards the castles inner grounds. There was but one objective; the prison cell that held his friends.

But to make it that far he would have to make it past the inner wall and parapets that were perpetually patrolled and stationed by guards, as were all the entrances and exits. If he made it that far then he would have to actually get inside; something that he still had no plan for. But it didn't matter to him, if he didn't go now he would risk never seeing his friends again.

Finally he passed the hand-sewn grove of trees that had hidden him from view to look upon the inner wall. It stood at least 75 feet tall and the stone had been sanded to allow for no hand holds.

“Smart...” He muttered, his voice seeming to meld with the natural sounds of the gardens around him. He scanned the wall with a critical eye, looking for any sign of a way inside.

At last he spotted one, a small side door that had been left slightly ajar by whomever had used it last. It was a stroke of luck and he was more than thankful for it.

Pressing himself against the wall he moved as fluidly as a shadow to the door, keeping out of the sight of the sentries above.

One at the edge of the door he paused to listen, turning his head till his ear was angled towards the crack in the door and opening his mouth to enhance his hearing as he was taught by his master. Hearing nothing he moved to peer inside.

The inside was simple, a small table occupied the far corner accompanied by a small stool. The light that came from the wall torches seemed harsh to his eyes as he had been in shadow for the last few hours.

Sure that no one was currently within he moved inside. Crossing the room quickly he made his way towards the far door; the one that would lead out into the inner courtyards.

Once there he quickly walked outside as though he was exactly where he was meant to be; people tended to notice things when they were obviously out of place, therefore they were oblivious to things that even looked to be as they should.

Once successfully outside he once again stood into the shadows underneath the walls, and moved along slowly to the area where the wall joined the keep. The walls of the main building were made from layering rough and varying sized granite rocks upon each other. This made it easy for him to locate a window roughly three levels high and scale the wall without being noticed.

Inside the window was an empty study, filled with the usual plush and decorative furnishings for families of noble or royal stature.

Taking little notice of the rest of the room he quickly moved towards the heavy oak doors that would lead him from the study to the corridors beyond.

The corridors were thankfully empty as he made his way towards the winding stairs that would hopefully take him directly towards the cells that he was seeking. As he descended he extended his senses so that no one would be able to catch him by surprise.

He reached a landing not long after, but he instinctively knew that this was not the floor he wanted, so he quickly passed the short distance down the empty corridor to the next flight of stairs.

The next landing that came before him was the one he wanted. The walls down here had moss and mold growing over the damp surfaces and the floor, unlike the above areas, had layers of dirt and dust disrupted only by the foot prints of the sentries that would patrol these halls at regular intervals throughout the night.

He moved quickly, feeling the press for time and an urgency that pushed him forward towards the the cells at the far end of the corridor with renewed vigor.

The cells held only four people. The four people that he had come here for. His friends.

Hearing his approach the youngest of the group looked up. She was but 16 winters, and much like a sister to him. Her eyes widened at his approach.

Kirnan!” She said, her voice seeming loud as it shattered the blanket of silence. The others all looked up at her voice. The other three were males, all older than himself.

“What in the name of all good and right!? Kirnan, why are you here?” The eldest of the three males asked, a guy who had always been like a father to Kirnan.

“I couldn't leave you to rot here at their mercy Furst.” He replied quietly as he searched for the keys. Locating them he moved to the cell door and quickly unlocked it.

“But Kirnan, what if they catch you?” The girl asked.

“Well, I certainly hope we will be long gone by then, Isma...” Kirnan replied as he walked into the cell and began working on the ropes that bound all four of them. There was no further speaking whilst he worked, all of them hardy believing that a chance to escape had presented itself. Finally the last knot fell away.

“Now, we must fly before they see that you have been freed.” Kirnan spoke softly as he helped them up, getting out was going to be the hardest as he knew that they were not fit to climb down from the window that that he had come in through.

“You should worry more for yourself.” A smooth voice said from behind.

Kirnan quickly spun around, placing himself between his friends and the voice. The man stepped forward out of the shadow he had been lurking in and Kirnan was horrified to see that it was him. Sterem.

“So you are the one we have been hunting these many months.” Sterem said, seemingly at ease with the whole situation.

Kirnan replied by drawing his sword. He had heard of Sterem's skill but it mattered very little to him, he had to keep is friends safe.

“Brave.” Sterem commented, raising an eye brow. “But it will do you no good boy.”

“Let us pass.” Kirnan said. Even when angry his voice was soft and almost melodious. “They have nothing to do with this.”

“On the contrary, if I had known that they would bring you to me, I would have used them many moons ago. Although... I am slightly surprised to learn how young you actually are Kirnan Night.”

It all seemed so wrong, he had come so far. Risked so much. It couldn't end like this.

Kirnan took a deep breath, then steeling himself, he rushed the relaxed form of Sterem, readying his sword as he ran.

“Kirnan, no!” The voice of Furst cut through the air seconds before Kirnan made contact with Sterem.

Shock ran through his body as he found himself in a blade lock with the man. When had he drawn his sword?

Kirnan was now looking directly into the deep brown eyes of Sterem, the taller man looking down at him with an amused look.

“I already said it would do you no good.” Sterem spoke softly, his voice threatening to captive Kirnan with the smoothness and compulsiveness of it. It surely couldn't be natural.

Quite suddenly, without really knowing when it happened Kirnan found himself pressed to the wall, weapon cluttering to the floor and Sterem holding his own blade to his neck.

Kirnan gasped in surprise. How? When?

“We have been searching for you for a long time boy. You are such a rarity,” Sterem gently brushed his fingers along Kirnan's cheek and up to brush some hair from his eyes, freezing Kirnan with the unexpectedness of it, “...and not just with your powers either, but you are also the only Shadow-Walker with blonde hair, sky colored eyes and fair skin. And your skill is impressive... For your age, but is nothing compared to mine.”

“Release me!” Kirnan yelled, attempting to push against the man without slicing his own throat open.

“Never. You have evaded us to long. Now that we have you, we hold the last of the powers that lay dormant in your blood.” Sterem whispered, moving is face next to Kirnan's ear, his breath warm against his neck.

Kirnan's wide eyes fell upon that of his friends and he saw their hopelessness and felt all hope of his own plummet.

Was it to really end like this? He asked himself as his eyes met with Isma's...

Once again moving with incredible speed Sterem moved his blade from Kirnan's throat and used the pommel to bludgeon the boy on the head. Isma screamed when she saw Kirnan fall into Sterem's arms, limp and unconscious, with a small line of red running down his blond hair.

Finally Sterem turned his eyes to the small group in the cell.

“I should thank you for bringing such a prize to me.” He sneered before closing and locking the cell door once more and walking off down the hall.

“Kirnan...” Isma whispered, tears falling down her soft cheeks.         

© 2012 Dawn Writer


Author's Note

Dawn Writer
Feel free to tell me what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is amazing! I would love to read even further...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 26, 2012
Last Updated on February 26, 2012

Author

Dawn Writer
Dawn Writer

Perth, Western Australia, Australia



About
Hi! Call me Dawn :). I'm never very good at these 'about me' things... so i hope i don't do to bad a job. :D I enjoy writing and reading a lot, I'm pretty sure that if i could i would love to fall .. more..

Writing