Wake Up America

Wake Up America

A Poem by Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)
"

It is time to wake up and take this Country forward to something we can be Proud of.

"

Wake Up America

 

As a Nation we need to heed this call.

Do you remember the words,

"United we stand, Divided we fall

As a Nation our lack of morality seems to say…

Don’t worry about the people you walk on along the way…

As long as we do what we must to succeed…

Why bother to look at what we hoard with such greed…

Look at the dollar that sold our children out…

"In God we trust" so is there any doubt…

We have children with no sense of right or wrong…

I can’t believe we have let it go on so long…

We took the Lord’s prayer out of public school…

And children have nothing to believe in, no golden rule…

It’s time to make a change, but we must all do out part…

Look out for each other and open our heart…

Let the gangs know their reign of terror has come to an end…

Lets take back Civic Pride, Unite and Defend.

 

Debra Edwards

© 2008 Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice..line eleven needs a [t] at the beginning of the sentence. You missed it. Your grand pa sounds like my father. he was the greatest man I ever knew. This is like two separate poems..The one about your grand dad and then the one about the Lord. Standing up for right is not always easy today. More and more people have sold their souls to the devil and just do not care if they kill, rob or destroy..If all people respected each other and kept to their selves instead of joing gangs and running wild the world would be a much better place,,Different from you but I like it very much..Valentine

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

nice words. do you have the courage to live by them? if so then i congratulate you for a job nicely done and if not then perhaps someone who will shall grace pon this and be inspired

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amen Debbie .. i have seen news all day as somehow the tv is on CNN and it is all so horrid..third graders planning to harm or maybe murder their teacher.. third graders!

This is a very inspirational poem for all of us ..

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bravo for you Debby on standing up for what is right. I cringe every time I see they have moved God out of yet one more segment in our society, because I know, when the light is removed, darkness will ensue. There seems to be a real lack of understanding concerning this in our country. I never understood how ONE woman could have had prayer removed from our schools and why ONE can bring it back.

The greater scare for me is bringing a man on as president that will not salute the United States flag and honor the values America was built on. If that isn't a big enough sign to us, God help us?!

It was nice to see a piece from you again! :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice poem...more pleading and beseeching but in a similar vein to some of my pieces (which are perhaps more vitriolic). Many societies across the world need some healing. Its struck me that America has always had conflicts within it from being united to being free individuals and between lofty ideals and grubby reality. I hope your poem has its needed effect.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

people really should change their ethics, because the way things are going right now, we might as well be living like in the book Fahrenheit 451.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

yes interesting true and beautiful, im sorry if im not saying much but i am so tired right now....i like it though....

peace

-luis

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well said Debby! Your words as always inspire. There is so much wrong in the world but the vast majority of us are still kind and decent; we just need to unit against the evil infesting our world. I truly believe, however that good still holds sway although I sometimes struggle to see it.

There are so many wonderful people in the world who willingly put others before themselves; charity workers, doctors, nurses, in fact all the emergency services! And although I do not agree with war, soldiers do set out to defend freedom, not always for the right reasons, but without them where would we be? The freedom we enjoy today was won by men and women with the same determined and selfless courage.

Let's hope we are all strong enough to make a difference.

Excellent write!

Polly

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Your poem was uplifting, however you used a word "Crazy" to describe the world. I think to really make a point, tell the reader what is crazy? Crazy is, what crazy does! You did talk about the gangs and things like that but what else? Politicians out of control, war in Iraq that is a religious war, we'll never end! You could make a great statement in your poem!

Thank you for sending this to me. I always love to read your work.

Warm regards,
Krystal Waters

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I found these eight lines, in particular, outstanding:Let our weapon be the bible and His Love for us be our Shield and Sword. I'll be standing ready With God at my side. If I die and I take Him at His word I know He will take me home to see all those Loved ones that I have I've lost. I just know we have to change these Things even though we know the Cost. Brilliant poem, Debby. You make me proud to be human again. When you're right you're right, and no force on earth can convince you otherwise. For God and country, let the good people thrive.Great stuff. I'm off out for a fight, hehehe.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Now I'm all psyched up to stand and fight. Awesome read Debby. This says it all, we need to change the way things are turnin'.

As always, I Love the read, thanks for share.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 1, 2008

Author

Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)
Debra Stevens Edwards (debby)

Long Beach, CA



About
I am a single parent of six daughters. I write as a release of emotions I'm feeling. At times I write to entertain my girls or just because I have something to say. My goal is to publish a book of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Woman Child Woman Child

A Poem by Bubo