Conflict for the next Interlude

Conflict for the next Interlude

A Story by Dez H.
"

Chance Montgomery learned the place he started a new life at had been compromised by not only his past but by two assassins. So on to a new chapter in his life but without drama.

"

The whole trip there they talked about everything that came to mind but what was about to happen and they reached there destination. On a secluded road with one red barn he told him to stop. Louis was quiet as he looked out in the distance spotting the lone oak tree.

 

“Are you sure you want me to let you out here?” Derrick asked.

“Yeah.” Louis answered adding a simple head shake.

“Dog I got the thirty eight in the glove, just let me go with you.”

“No I got this.

“F**k that.” Derrick said angrily turning off the car.

 

Louis took a deep breath hoping that this situation had gone easier.

 

“Calm down.” Louis said reaching into his hooded sweatshirt middle pocket pulling out an envelope.

 

“Take this.” He handed it to him.

“What is this?”

“It’s five thousand. This should help you get that place with your girl and get you started.”

“I can’t take this.”

“Yes you can and yes you will. I've got this situation handled and if I don’t survive that money is just going to waste. Take it; just do me a favor and do what you need to do.”

“It’s two on one Louis and…” He interrupted.

“I know the odds; it’s nothing I haven’t had to deal with before. Start the car up; take this f*****g money and go.”

 

Louis pulled out his gun and clicked the slide but it didn't frighten his friend.

 

“What are you going to do shoot me?”

 

He was quiet for a moment looking at the fail tactic on his face.

 

“No. Damn, just let me do this man. This is the way it has to go; that’s why I had it done this way so none of you got hurt. I've got this dog; just go back home and forget about me. Make sure Melissa and the kids are safe.” Louis said opening the car door.

“If you survive how are you going to make it back?”

“For one, I’m not going back there. And the second…”

 

He looked out in the distance.

 

“I don’t think I’ll have a problem with being stranded.”

“You are one stupid mother f****r Louis.”

“ I've heard worse, you be safe my friend, by the way my real name is Chance.” He replied with a smile holding out his hand.

 

Derrick was still hesitant but he grabbed it and firmly shook it pausing for a moment. He started the car after Louis shut the door and walked away. He didn't turn to look back hearing the gravel under the tires as the car drove away. His mind was empty as he made his way to where they agreed to meet. Fleeting thoughts went through his mind of if this was just a trap; they could be in the distance with a sniper rifle just waiting on him to be standing in the right spot. Then the initial feeling set in that yes it could happen and it would be the way things had to be. He looked at his watch and saw that he was just a couple of minutes early. He looked up at the sky seeing the clouds slowly moving and then felt the breeze as it gently caressed him as it passed. He looked at the tree for a moment as he got closer. It was almost poetic the way things were; the evening sun was setting in, a nice calm wind from the south blew, and he felt at peace with whatever was about to happen. Not like the last time; a rainy stormy night that clichéd a horror movie. He was almost to the tree as he looked at it with a sarcastic smile lighting a cigarette then looked up exhaling the smoke. When he looked back at the tree he spotted the two waiting on his arrival. He was wrong about the sniper thing and knew they were just what he heard; a couple of youngsters wanting to make a good name for themselves by taking out a seasoned pro. He felt proud for an instant but as quick as the feeling came to him it left just as fast.

He looked at them both from head to toe smiling as he smoked walking casually. He could see them talking to each other; Joost cracked his knuckles looking at him.

When he reached his two adversaries he held his head up with the cigarette hanging from is lips and exhaled the smoke through his nostrils all while keeping his eyes on both of them.

 

“I’m here, what now?” He asked as if they were there to just talk.

 

Safir is the first to answer.

 

“Now it’s time to kill your a*s.”

“I know what you have planned dumb a*s, I’m asking you how you want to do this. Guns, knives, combat, two on one, one on one or on how this s**t is about to go down.”

“How do you want this to happen m**********r?” Safir asked.

 

Louis smiled with a little laugh coming from his chest.

 

“F*****g rookies.” He said taking one more draw then flicking the rest into the distance.

“How do you want this to go down guys?” He asked again.

“How about we just beat the life out of you?” Joost responded.

“I think we can do that.” Safir said.

“You’ll have to do more than just think if you want to accomplish that.” Louis said letting his ego speak for him.

“Oh yeah, you think you’re that good?” Safir asked.

“How much are you two getting for this?”

“It doesn't matter. You are just another job to us.” Joost said.

“Yeah whatever; if that was the case you would've came and done me like I was a normal hit. I saw it in both of your eyes when I surprised you at that restaurant; you didn’t know what the f**k I was going to do. Understand I made this easy for you, back in the day I would’ve killed both of you there and walked away.”

 

No matter how bad he wanted to be humble about this, it just wasn’t coming as easy as he planned.

 

 

“We heard you weren’t going to be easy.” Joost said.

“What do you think?” Louis asked.

“I’m just ready to make this money.” He answered.

“Exactly the way I used to think.” He said calmly.

“How about this; we don’t use guns or knives. We just beat the hell out of you then maybe when we feel you are just no competition anymore we then put a bullet in you to take you out of your misery?” Safir asked.

“However you want to do it.” Louis responded.

 

He stared at them for a moment waiting on their first move in which they didn’t make. He shook his head smiling like he was teaching a class on this.

 

Joost took the moment first as he took off his upper shirt displaying the holster under and a black tank top. He pulled the gun out watching Louis’s observation for any wrong move with his trigger finger. He held it not even touching the trigger and threw it in the distance. Louis looked at Safir with the same expectations and he obliged doing the same with a smile on his face. They looked at him wondering what his move was going to be. He was not stupid and knew they were holding extra ones but pulls his only one out and tosses it then lifts his shirt and pants leg showing he was now without. He raises his arms showing he is now clean hoping they won’t ask about the knife on his ankle. They don’t say anything as they remove their extra guns thinking just like he is; very carefully.

 

“So who’s first?” Louis asks stretching his arms and legs while rolling his neck getting out the kinks.

 

 The two look at each other with a smile.

 

“I’ll go first.” Safir answers; stepping away from his partner.

 

The two stare at each other for a moment before Safir gets in a kick boxing stance with both fists raised high while swaying. Louis looks at him for a second and puts a finger up indicating he needs time to take off his upper shirt leaving just his tank top on. He folds it up taking his time and lays it on the ground as if he is in no hurry. He looks back at the waiting adversary ready to get this started.

 

“Are you ready?” He asks.

“I’ve been ready for this.” Safir answers; walking closer.

 

 

The two size each other up as they begin to circle. Safir is the first to throw a punch but Louis moves quickly to the side making him miss. Safir starts to throw more punches but Louis dodges and blocks them all while backing up. He tries to kick at him but it too is blocked.

 

 

“Are you just going to play or are you going to do something?” Safir asks getting a little annoyed.

 

Louis doesn’t answer as he gives a sarcastic smile. Safir goes in for some more punches but quicker this time and when Louis finds an opening he lands two quick jabs to his jaw making his opponent pause spitting out a little blood.

 

“You are quick.” Safir says smiling and wiping the spit and blood from his lips.

 

Safir rushes in this time throwing a combination of punches and kicks as Louis blocks and dodges but is not fast enough to escape a punch to the face. They stop again for the moment while Safir smiles from the hit he had served.

 

“You have a good left hook.” He replies.

“Wait until you feel my right.”

 

The two start again as Safir goes on the offense punching at him quickly but Louis blocks him a couple of more times and hits him with a three punch combination that makes Safir go into an angry rage as he charges swinging striking Louis with a couple of hits making him fall to the ground after tripping over a small hill in the ground. Safir mounts him and begins to punch but Louis blocks most of the hits but receives a couple to his ribs and one to the face. Safir stands up and backs away with a smile letting his opponent stand up.

Louis spits seeing that it is red with his on blood and he smiles.

 

“You are enjoying this aren’t you?” He asks.

“A lot.” Safir responds pulling his pants legs up a little then getting back into his fighting stance.

“Are you ready to really fight?” Louis asks rolling his neck again with a smile.

“I was wondering when you were going stop playing.”

 

But he wasn’t playing with him but only warming up to see what he could do and how fast he really was so he can adjust to the situation. Safir rushes’ again swinging and kicking but Louis is ahead of him blocking every one that he serves and countering with a hit every time an open spot presented itself. Safir begins to get angry and it shows as he recklessly begins to fight with his anger. Louis keeps his head together predicting every movement with a block and a strike until Safir stops to regroup his thoughts and coming up with a better strategy. Joost is yelling in the background wanting to get a piece of the action as well but Safir is too mad and rushes in again punching. The two exchange hits and kicks for awhile like madmen trying to knock each other out but neither budge until Louis catches Safir after a missed hit and punches him in his face making him back up a little. He takes advantage of the opening and swiftly runs getting behind him and puts him in a head lock tightening his bicep to cut his air flow. He temporarily forgets about the other one but is quickly reminded by a hit from behind to his ribs making him let go and seeing Safir quickly grab at his throat trying to breathe. Louis looks at Joost while holding his side.

 

“So it’s your turn now?” He asks.

“Oh yeah, it’s my turn now.”

 

He doesn’t waste time as he rushes in for some action. He is faster than Safir and adds a wrestling move bringing Louis to the ground and punching the whole time while he tries to get back to his feet and when he does he receives a punch to his jaw making him back up a little and charges in for more. He swings so fast that Louis can only move backwards and block for a moment and every strike that Louis connects it doesn’t faze Joost it only seems to get him more hype and faster. Joost hits him in the stomach then upper cuts him in the face making Louis fall back and lay on the ground staring at the blue sky for a second amazed on how fast he is.

 

“Yeah, I won’t play with your a*s. Get the f**k up and get some more b***h.” He says getting hype off the moment.

 

He rolls onto his side and slowly stands up looking at Joost knowing that he would have to be faster or he wouldn’t have a chance against this guy. He curls his upper lip getting serious.

 

“Come on mother f****r.”  He invites.

 

Joost is happy to oblige coming close swiftly and punching again but Louis is ahead of him this time blocking and dodging until he sees his opening then gives him a couple of punches to his kidneys then swings for his face but misses and receives a kick to the stomach and another hit to his jaw backing him up, but Joost doesn’t take a time for a break as he charges and spears him to the ground striking him twice hard before getting up. Louis turns over and brings his legs up first to elevate his lower body first before using his arms to push his upper body up just a little jumping up. Safir runs up fast and kicks him in the side making him fall back to the ground holding the spot he had just been struck in.

 

“Get up!” Safir yells.

 

Louis is tired but he knows he can’t quit; not just yet. He stands back up slowly confused on which he will be fighting now with an angry look on his face and his eyes darting at both of them. Joost charges and starts swinging but while gathering his thoughts he dodges every punch and begins to in a rage swing at him striking with every punch connecting and surprising him with every hit and making him fall to the ground then stood for a minute looking down at him with serious look. Joost doesn’t give him too much time attacking and backing Louis off of his downed friend. He swings and Louis blocks hitting a nerve that sends a pain through his whole arm making him drop his defense then gets punched making him fall back to the ground. Safir begins to kick him while he lies there only able to block some of the blows. Louis grabs his leg and twists and strikes his leg with his elbow in his thigh making him back away still standing up but holding his leg. The adrenaline is now pumping at full max for him as he stands up ignoring the voice in his head telling him to slow down and examine the battlefield. He looks at both of them wondering who was coming next. Safir rushes with a kick and he moves making him miss then strikes him in the chest. Joost runs up and begins to punch at him but he moves backwards fast to block his hits. Suddenly with a strike he connects one to his chest then to his face slowing him down but he doesn’t get a break as Safir runs up and hits him once in the jaw and swings again but Louis catches it and twists his arm until he is on the ground pulling on it trying to break it. Joost doesn’t give him the time as he kicks at him but Louis sees it coming and lets go rolling away standing up blocking the barrage of hits coming his way until he spots an opening and hits him hard in the chest making Joost stop and look at him. He gets in another stance waiting on the next wave. Joost charges and swings but Louis is ready this time as he dodges every attempt and gets in a couple of hard punches making him stop. Safir runs in now with some punches and he can only block and dodge a couple with receiving some hits giving Joost time to stand up. He charges in to help his friend and they both attack him, he can only block a couple of hits from both but falls victim to a couple of hard hits until they both stop leaving him with his guards up wondering why they did. The injured nerve in his arm still hurts so bad that he can hardly lift it but he knows a weakness at this point will be his downfall so he tries to ignore the pain for the moment, but it shows on his face as he struggles to keep it up leaning to the side every time the arm falls and he stares at them wondering why he just doesn’t give up. He’s weak and his energy is low but he concentrates on not showing it with the look of wanting more on his face and a body posture bringing himself back into a stance that begs for more.

 

“I know you b*****s aren’t done. Come on so I finish this s**t.” Louis says.

 

Safir gets mad and rushes in swinging, every hit to an already injured spot makes Louis’s arm drop fast but he is able to get some good shots in slowing him down. Louis grabs his arm and brings him to the ground. He tries to break it again but is stopped by Joost running up as he lets go to block another kick. Safir stands up and charges at him making him block punching and kicking missing and being blocked with every attempt. Suddenly Joost comes in for some too and he is now fighting then both off simultaneously. When the opportunity presents itself he backs Safir away with a hit and kicks Joost away giving himself a quick second to gather the battle again. Safir rushes in, and when he misses a punch, Louis uses the chance and grabs his arm and tries to dislocate his shoulder. He is cut short as Joost rushes in and kicks him in his ribs making him let go. He stands up quickly but Joost charges in quickly and begins to punch at him. When he blocks with his fore arm each strike hurts so he starts to dodge his swings and kicks. Safir doesn’t take too much time to recover and joins his partner and Louis can’t stay ahead of both swift assassins and it only takes one punch to the jaw from Joost to make him fall to the ground with his stamina pretty much gone. Safir picks him up off the ground and holds him and Joost hits him with a punch combo that leaves his eyes half open almost ready to pass out. His legs go limp but Safir keeps him up while laughing until Joost gives him a couple more hard hits to the stomach then hits him one more time in the face and with that last strike Safir lets him go and he falls back to the ground feeling half unconscious.

 

“Pick his a*s up!”Safir says to Joost.

“F**k that, he’s done let’s finish this.”

 

Louis coughs and moves a little and they look at him almost dead on the ground.

 

“I want to beat him to death.” Safir says.

“I’m about to get my gun and end this.” Joost says.

 

Safir starts to walk with him to go get their discarded guns where they had threw them as Louis lays on the ground bleeding and eyes open wide blood soaked with enough to see that it was still day time. Suddenly he hears his killer’s voices faintly but he heard two other familiar voices. His eyes closed tightly and opened to see his two daughters standing over him.

 

“Iyana…Falisha…It’s that time girls.” He said feeling a smile coming across his face.

“Daddy we need you to stand up.” Iyana said.

“I can’t honey. I’m ready to come home to you.” Louis responded.

“It’s not time daddy.” Falisha says.

“I’m done girls. I need you two.”

“We are here with you daddy.” Iyana says.

“Bring me home girls.” Louis says weakly.

“We want you too daddy but it’s not time yet.”

“I can’t do it girls. Daddy is done; I have no more energy to fight anymore.         

 “Yes you do.”Falisha says.

“I’m tired of fighting.”

“We are going to help you up daddy and you are going to live.” Iyana says in his ear.

 

They position themselves on each arm and grab them lifting. Louis isn’t sure what is going on but he feels himself being lifted slowly to his feet. Safir and Joost look around for their guns they had tossed to the side when Safir looks back surprised that their mark is standing back up.

 

“Joost look at this s**t.”

 

His partner looks and laughs.

 

“He is a tough a*s mother f****r isn’t he?

 

Louis can feel his girl’s warm tiny hands in his and he looks at them both smiling as much as he can.

 

“My angels, either you are helping me because I might still have a place with you in heaven or I have more suffering to do in this hell.” He says watching them fade away.

He looks back at his adversaries both looking at him while he stands in pain and body getting weaker by each second that passes. He takes a deep breath and lowers his head looking at them ready for what could be his last round.

 

“F**k the gun then I’m going to pound his face until it looks like a bowl of soup.” Joost says cracking his knuckles.

“I think I’ll save his middle finger for a trophy.” Safir replies cracking his neck.    

 

Louis stands slouching, exhausted and still breathing heavy, face bruised and bleeding, and every muscle burning, but he still has enough strength to bring his arm up and welcome them with a wave of his fingers. He watches as they look sarcastic coming his way but the looks on their faces suddenly changed quickly as they got closer. Louis didn’t understand the hesitation until he felt a presence on each side. Xavier stood to his left with a gun in his hand and a sniper rifle strapped to his back and Buck stood on the other side lighting a cigarette.

 

“This has nothing to do with you two?” Safir says.

“No rookie this has a lot to do with us; this is our money you are f*****g with now.”

“We got to him first so this mark is ours m***********s” Joost replies.

“By all rights I could have shot you both from a distance then came and claimed him for ourselves.” Xavier says to them.”

“So what are you two going to do?” Safir asks.

 

Xavier takes the rifle from around his neck and lays it on the ground beside him as Buck takes out his gun still eyeing them with the cigarette still in his mouth and a simple smile.

 

“You see this man right here is time invested; we’ve had to put up with a lot of his bullshit for a while and for you two lame a*s rookies to take this one would kind of be a spot on the reputation of a couple of professionals like us.” Buck said blowing out some smoke.

“F**k this s**t Joost; it looks like we got to take these bums out first before we collect this money.” Safir says.

“It’s only a minor setback bro.” Joost replied.

 

Buck and Xavier look at Louis then at each other with a smile. Buck took one more inhale and passes the cigarette to an unsuspected Louis who is still trying to gather his thoughts and energy for what would be coming next.

 

“Take this; it won’t take us long to finish this s**t.” Buck says staring at them.

 

He took it as he didn’t know if it was going to be his last as he hit it as he watched his once best friend and his former protégé take off their upper garments and start to stretch with a smile on their faces as they get ready to fight for the price on his head.

 

“Don’t worry Chance this will be over before you finish that s**t.” Buck says lightly elbowing his side.

  The fight was almost evenly matched as Xavier went against Joost and Buck took on Safir. By the time the cigarette butt dropped to the grass Buck was a little out of breath as he snaps Safir’s neck from behind and Xavier pulls a buried knife blade from the heart of Joost’s dead body. A body numbing feeling came over his whole body as they gathered their composures and both started looking at him next.

 

“Now that was fun.” Buck says smiling.

“Yeah that guy had some skill but I not enough; f*****g rookies.” Xavier replied.

 

They walked over to their comrade and began to circle him like a pair of vultures. Louis is prepared for anything with these two; only one thing could come from them, death or assistance.

 

“What are we going to do with him?” Xavier asks.

“He’s to fucked up to help us.”

“He said he didn’t want to help us anyway.”

“He’s worth more dead than he is alive isn’t he?” Buck asks.

“Yeah he is.”

 

Louis had rested a little and he didn’t make it easy for the two dead ones so these two wouldn’t get any different results if they tried anything.

 

“Well let’s stop all this chit chatting and get down to it fellas.” Louis says.

“Let’s get down to what?” Xavier asks.

“If you fuckers are going to try and kill me then stop wasting time.”

“Try to kill you? If you was to see what we were looking at then you would know that you are already half dead.”

“Does that mean that you think I’ll be easier?”

“Chance don’t talk like if we were to get at you it would end in your favor.” Buck said.

“There is only one way to find out.” He responds.

 

His comrades really didn’t want to kill him but knew what the status was on their contract. Either he would help them or he had to die.

Buck was prepared to kill him but Xavier didn’t want to kill his mentor.

 

“You’re wasting time; what’s it going to be?” Louis asked.

 

Buck waved Xavier over to him and they began to talk quietly as Louis waited on the fate that was getting prepared for him. Buck was the first one to look at him as they walked towards him.

 

“Okay, we have come up with some s**t that could benefit us all. If you don’t accept it then plain and simple, you die. But if we can promise you that you don’t have to kill anyone, you can make some money, and you can still go get your son. You don’t have to worry about nothing.” Buck said.

 

Louis was kind of hesitant but listened to what they had to say, they knew he couldn’t in his current condition go in and do what they always did so well as a team. Getting in and extracting the snitch for the client to kill himself wasn’t the hard part, it was getting through the place to him without running into dead ends was their concern. They gave him the job of sitting in a van with surveillance walking them through right to him with minimal stealthy terminations and out of the door throwing him zip tied and blind folded in the back. After collecting their payment they dropped him off at a motel so they could go their separate ways.

 

“It was like the old days wasn’t it?” Buck asked.

“Whatever.” Chance replied.

“We have a couple of other jobs coming up, why don’t you…” Xavier started.

“Stop right there, I told you both I was done with that s**t. The only reason why I helped with your little project was because I needed the money, I didn’t have to kill anyone, and to meet a son that I didn’t know I had until you both showed back up. I am done with you two.”  Chance said shutting the car door slowly limping away still in pain.

“Thank you Chance, and if it’s any consolation we didn’t want to kill you no matter how much they offered.” Buck said.

 

Chance stopped and turned around slowly looking at him like they really did him a favor.

 

“Isn’t that sweet but this is a promise from me to you; if you show back up in my life asking for a favor, I will break my vow of not killing again and put a bullet right between your eyes.” He said turning away feeling a smile come to his face. They both knew it wasn’t falsehood and in fact he wouldn’t hesitate to do exactly what he said; just like a retired doctor holds on to the title, once a man has killed his first man he will always be a killer.       

 

© 2013 Dez H.


Author's Note

Dez H.
I love doing fight scenes so I hope i did this one justice for you all. If you like it let me know and even if you don't, hell still let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have a lot of stuff wrote about Chance and it took me a while to get this one out. I wanted to do it justice and out of all of the fight scenes i did this one had to be done with finesse.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A whole lot of a*s-kicking by a vet who's got no quit in him. Two on one with one left standing after it all. A great beginning followed by a finer ending. Great write.
"Gone 007"

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dez H.

11 Years Ago

Thank you, getting reviews from Bpoet is a compliment in it's self right on pimpin.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2013
Last Updated on May 10, 2013

Author

Dez H.
Dez H.

Indpls., IN



About
To the man with an ear for verbal delicacies- the man who searches painfully for the perfect word, and puts the way of saying a thing above the thing said- there is in writing the constant joy of sudd.. more..

Writing