Just another Job

Just another Job

A Story by Dez H.
"

Short story of a contract killer and his morality.

"

 

                  Just another Job.

 

He told me that the job would be simple; just another one like the others. I never questioned my contracts, never asked what they did or why they had to go. It was never my business to know but this one was different, it went against my word and vow that I made when I seen the mark.

“You know I don’t do these kinds of jobs.” I said to him.

“I know but this is a personal favor for a close friend.” He responded.

“How is it supposed to be done?”

When he told me I really wanted to tell him to give it to my partner but I knew he wouldn’t have the heart to go through with it. Don’t get me wrong my partner is as good as me and just as cold but this wasn’t one of those that we were used to and it only called for one of us to do it.

“You get half now and the other half after it’s over.”

I took the info and the money and walked out of his office with the thoughts of it being just like he said; just another job.

I watched the target for a few days and it didn’t take long to get their pattern so is was easy to get them in the position that had been set up. Inside of an empty warehouse duct taped to a chair with a pillow case over the face until the other half showed up. When she got there I stepped to the side and let her walk up to my mark. I would’ve done it but she pulled the case from off of the head. I looked at the girl and remember her being a cold blooded gang leader but today she stood as fragile flower that grew from the concrete. I had never seen her like this and when a tear fell from one eye and her lip quivered as she fought back the rest I then saw the resemblance and felt part of her pain. She walked over to me.

“Thank you for this, I heard these are not your usual jobs but this needs to be done.” She said to me.

“Just let me know when it’s time and I’ll do it for you.”

“You know my brother; he recommended that I use you for this.”

“He’s not one of my favorite people but money is money.” I replied.

 

She felt the scar on her chin and another tear came to her eye.

“I’ll wait outside the door, when you want me I’ll be right in to do it.” I said to her.

“No I want you to stay in here with me please.”

“Whatever it’s your money.” I responded and walked to a nearby chair and swept the dust off before I sat down.

She walked over to my mark and stood in front of her. She released her pain and anger and shed hundreds of tears. I didn’t want to intervene but she needed some tissue and I just happened to have some in my pocket. I walked to her and gave it to her and she looked at me telling me thank you with just a look.  I walked back to my spot and looked at my watch seeing that an hour had past then I heard a loud slap and looked back to see my mark’s head shifted to the side.  She screamed, she yelled and she showed all of the pain that she had been apparently been holding in for a long time, but it was what she said next that made me really understand why I was here to do this.

“How could you stab your only daughter in the face?”

My mark was her mother and for once this had become more than just another job. A feeling swept over me because I had kids and I had only heard of her story but never thought I would be face to face with her issues. With recognition her pain entered my soul and if she didn’t need me in the room with her I would’ve waited until I was outside to wipe the tear that crept in the corner of my eye but instead I turned away and had to remember to be the professional taking a deep breath.

“You got out of jail in four days. Is my life not worth more?” She asked.

Her mother said nothing as she stated to cry but it was too late for her tears and sympathy for it had never existed.

“I used to want you to live with what you did but you didn’t show any remorse for the crime you committed.”  

I could see that her pain ran deep; deeper than I could ever imagine, but in her element you could never tell as she was a strong leader that never took s**t off of no one. She didn’t want her gang to see it or help her deal with it that’s why I was hired. She didn’t want them to observe her weakness when she confronted it. I and her mother were the only ones to see this side of her.

The time had come and she gave me a simple wave to do my part. I pulled out my gun and fitted the silencer as I walked over to join her. I took a deep breath and pointed the barrel to my mark’s head.

 “Are you sure you want this?” I asked.

“I am not paying you to make me reconsider.”

“I’m sorry you are right.” I answered cocking the hammer.

 

She watched her face tense up as she rubbed the scar once more. My index finger slowly began to squeeze and she yelled out for me to stop.

“I want to do it.” She said.

I looked at her for a second then handed her the extra one I kept at my waistline. She cocked the hammer and put it to her head.

“I’m sorry.” Her mother said and lowered her head.

“Sorry left when you did this to me. I’ve killed you so many times in my head but now I can it’s time that I do it for real.”

Her hand started shaking as tears built in her eyes.

“Let me do it.” I suggested.

“No! I can do it myself!”  She yelled to me.

“I’m the last person to tell someone not to kill, but will this ease your pain?” I asked.

“Yes it will…I want this so f*****g bad.” She responded.

“Then you need to do what you’re going to do or I have to charge you for another day.” I said and turned my back to walk away. Suddenly I heard the loud sound of my revolver going off then heard her crying.  When I turned around she didn’t do it, she had only shot a hole into the wooden ground we stood on.

“Take your gun back; I’m not going to do it. Here’s the rest of your money.” She said walking past me.

“Nah, it’s all yours. What do you want to do about her then?” I asked.

“Leave her taped up right there, maybe the rats will do what I couldn’t.” She responded and we exited the room shutting the door behind.

 

                           The End

                           Desmond Hooten

© 2012 Dez H.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

495 Views
Added on April 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012

Author

Dez H.
Dez H.

Indpls., IN



About
To the man with an ear for verbal delicacies- the man who searches painfully for the perfect word, and puts the way of saying a thing above the thing said- there is in writing the constant joy of sudd.. more..

Writing