In Hindsight, Not So Bad

In Hindsight, Not So Bad

A Story by D. Hogan

New Yorker’s are crazy. We all know it. Which is why I should not be the least bit surprised by their ability to break the heart of their lovers in the public debauchery of a bar.

 

I mean, besides the irrational and emotional drunk state, these people are dealing with the hazards of an abundance of high-heels that double as daggers, silverware, and those scary-sharp corkscrewy metal things they take the pits out of olives with.

 

Well I learned my lesson quite quickly on my last visit, when I was on assignment to write a freelance review of one of the top clubs in NYC

 

Provocateur is a ridiculously exclusive nightclub tucked in the back of the Gansevoort Hotel, and if you find yourself inside this Manhattan hotspot it’s because you’re a big shot, knows someone who is, or you’re so hot it’s impossible for you to build a snowman…or you’re a lucky scrub with a press pass like me.

 

Luckily, I was safely tucked behind the velvet ropes by the time a young executive named Sara decided to come clean.

 

A giant pair of angel wings draped against one wall inside this purple-hued club, and angelic is probably what boyfriend-to-be-gone thought of his lady when she poneyed up several thousand for table service for him and ten of his friends.

 

I watched from my cozy barstool as the main floor filled up, and the boys all had front row seats to the stunning house dancers who regularly gyrate the night away; certainly the trappings of a perfect night. 

 

After the first few bottles were gone, Sara snuck off to the bar, returning with her boy’s favorite cocktail. She rested the glass in his hands, waited for a lull in the music, and while I eavesdropped, said:

 

“Three ladies just stopped me and asked if you were single. The last one even gave me their number to give to you and opened an all-expense bar tab in your name for the night. I threw the number away. Also, I cheated on you recently.”

 

Mimosa flew out of my mouth as she disappeared across the newly roiling dance floor. I called the bartender over, and anonymously sent on over a glass of their strongest whiskey. I figured the least I could do was buy the poor guy a drink.

 

 

Daniel Hogan is a writer at Party Earth - a global media and entertainment company that publishes reviews and listings of the best social experiences around the world including: bars in Paris, pubs in London, beaches in Ibiza, plazas in Rome, parks in New York, festivals and concerts everywhere, and more.

© 2013 D. Hogan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013

Author

D. Hogan
D. Hogan

Los Angeles, CA



About
Daniel Hogan is a writer at Party Earth - a global media and entertainment company that publishes reviews and listings of the best social experiences around the world including: bars in Paris, pubs in.. more..

Writing