The "not so beautiful mind"

The "not so beautiful mind"

A Story by Artemis53
"

Being a psychiatric nurse I've seen great strides in treatment of mental disease. Unfortunately society hinders those who only want a chance at life.

"
I am a psychiatric nurse with a background of over 20 years in Cardiac and Critical care. I have no idea what brought me to this branch of nursing practice, but have learned to follow the signs, so I wound up upon this professional doorstep.

The facility that I practice my trade in is a hospital exclusively intended for those in need of drug or alcohol rehabilitation, the elderly with pre-existing psychiatric illnesses that have exacerbated and those who have psychically left us trying to do harm to themselves or others. It is the last group that I prefer to work with.

My nursing heart cries out to those who have lost their way and can no longer bring themselves back, try as they might to retrace their steps. I have seen the faces of the true "huddled masses yearning to be free" and take my job seriously, with care and compassion hoping to be rewarded one day with an intelligible conversation, a smile or a direct gaze into my eyes by them. I am not Nurse Ratched from "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest." I am no different to the ICU nurse that stands beside a ventilator and adjusts intravenous rates to achieve a desired effect on a bedside monitor or changes the linen on a bed. I was born to be a caregiver, facilitator and comforter. It was beyond my means to escape this wonderful piece of fate that has been affixed to my shoulders. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am a true believer that the only way that positive change can be implemented is by taking it out of the closet and exposing it to the light of day. Mental illness is one of those highly kept secrets of the attic or basement that needs to be aired out, inspected and treated for what it is, an illness plain and simple. We have no problem speaking about coronary bypass, diabetes or congestive heart failure all attributing to a malfunctioning of an organ within the body. Like it or not, there is no mystery to the brain. It is an organ that works on an electrochemical system much similar to the heart and can have its byproduct changed by introducing chemicals, ie medication, not unlike insulin or digitalis for an enlarged heart. The aforementioned byproduct of the brain is the thought process, so give it the correct medication along with counseling for the behaviors that were displayed while they were sick or got them there (think of deep fried foods with 'heart patients, and the elimination of deep fried foods aka-lifestyle change) and you begin to be headed in the right direction.

I am very thankful that I am seeing all sundry versions of mental illness addressed today, beginning the cracking of a door to enlightenment, therefore facilitating treatment. Even on TV or in the news I've seen numerous articles on the devastating disease of depression. Not only does it rob the possessor of his or his/her joy but those who are divested in them. I've seen the faces of family members that have a loved one deeply imbedded in their sickness and the heartbreak that it can bring. I try to be there for those on the outside that feel as if they can only look in.

These patients are my teachers in the truest sense of the words. If I am fortunate enough for them to share their story with me I am honored. It is only through their personal tales that I have been able to reflect upon my life. It is only by a mere twist of fate that I sit behind the counter of the nurses' station and they stand in front. In a blink of an eye my position could change. I take their words seriously and am not unknown to dwell upon them.

The "not so beautiful mind" can be treated today, allowing those afflicted to rejoin their families and once more grasp the brass rings of life. We must not fear this malady or cast it aside. It is only through recognition with eventual acceptance that the pendulum can be swung in a proper fashion, allowing those on the outskirts of life to find a way back. This world needs many diverse people to keep it spinning. We are missing out if we don't attempt to bring those who have wandered off to once again join us and enrich us with their unusually "beautiful minds."

© 2011 Artemis53


Author's Note

Artemis53
See what you think. I can only hope that I'm on the right track!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on December 3, 2011
Last Updated on December 3, 2011

Author

Artemis53
Artemis53

Brooksville, FL



About
I'm a Registered Nurse, grandmother and a person that you see walking about everyday. I am a historian and I hold the past to my heart as I do the Southern, antebellum town where I preside. "Yes .. more..

Writing