Underland

Underland

A Story by Diiavolx
"

Don't trust your eyes. [WIP] Tags for TWS.

"

Effervescent sliding light swung along in the darkness, steady as a metronome- it constantly moved left to right ceaselessly, before disappearing with finality. It was quickly replaced to clocks, of different sizes and sounds but the familiar ticking in tune, steady as a heartbeat, before they became molten, oozing into puddles, the numbers falling apart into meaninglessness. The arrows that flew around with keys fluttered past her vision.

She noticed Alice, his body shifting uncomfortably on the lounger, his brow furrowed as he stared blankly at the creed, before looking off into a daze, then meeting her vermilion hues. His hand strayed on the edge of the paper, poised to move as if she needed him. Instead, he attempted to soothe with his voice alone, hoping it would reach her through what she had just heard; “Perhaps it wont be all that bad-”

She responded immediately, her voice already distant and spite-ridden; “It makes me sick.”

The last few words were rifed with self-disgust, her tone quietening, almost as if she sunk deeper into the proclamation created by the Red Queen.  She couldn’t help but let his observation be voiced out loud; “Associations come quickly to those who slaughter, I suppose.”

“You shattered teacups before, I simply required your help, Hare.” She had almost laughed at her King’s comment, his voice weakly straining against the current of his internal state, eyes scrunching further as if afraid of what he would see if he truly opened them. 

To say she was enmeshed in the mental landscape of her mind was an understatement. So many things she had accomplished- the great purge being of her most proud. Underland had never seen such bloodshed, especially those by the likes of a the White Queen’s Champion, only for her majesty to be slayed by the very latter. Entire kingdoms fell underneath the amoured heel he wore, and the crown of the purest kind was stained to curled blonde locks. 

She remembered how he looked agitatedly at her, eyes never raising above the scowl that painted his features. They had conquered this hellish land together, he had built something out of nothing- she was always proud of that- the night that Underland become theirs. 

For a moment, she indulged with nails, the familiar, nostalgic, rich burn of fresh crimson easing the pressure that beat erratically inside her. Only after did she raise her head, and stare at the monochrome sky through cracked stain-glass, casting an unearthly tone onto the floor below.

Such a solem day, indeed. she perked as Alice stood, fascinated by the turn of events- she had never harmed directly in his presence before. Watching him, she allowed him to draw slowly nearer to her, and smiled a bit. “Now now, it looks delicious, doesnt it? A reminder, of that day.  Reminders like that keep us  floating, weightless, a cypher.”

As if in response, the world outside grew tumultuous, a stream  becoming a storm-ridden ocean, rain pouring acid down from the clouds above. She smelt it then, and she knew her King could smell it too- the stench of of human flesh upon the smoke.

“Tasteless-” he muttered, more to himself. All too used to what happened outside his castle, but powerless to change it. Instead, he folded his arms, trying to bury his face in the crook of her shoulder.

 “-Your values and decency are present, yet shocked at your associations, appalled at your dreams-  Corruption. It’s killing us. Wonderland is destroyed, and all that remains is this-”

When he dared to raise his head once more, he took her chin into his palm, turning it to look towards the window. The rain had been replaced, all but gone, and instead remained a damned soul of a poor creature who did not survive their massacre . it’s dark hair was matted, but it was it’s eyes, alight with a spark of mischief, popping out like a broken toy, that focused. Attempting to speak, it’s mouth pulled down in an exaggerated grimace, before quickly being jerked into a nightmarish smile, and, in a playful tease, it gargled. “It’s the Hareeee, right? Is something wrong? Ratherrrrrrrrrrrrr.”

Soon enough, It fell backwards, down into the waiting blood red of the depths below. She often thought what laid down there, but countless dreams of  hands ripping into her, tearing skin, the sinew off her bones, was enough to keep her from those curiosities.

It was moments before she took a breath, sweat-ridden but alive to the attention of her audience- the instant she did, she only saw a glass of water in front of her face, waiting for her. 

“Welcome back- how do you feel?” 

This felt more familiar to the Hare with its established line, rejecting Alice’s prodding, but with good spirits. Her fingers trailed down her legs, eyes glued to her own hand’s movement, before jokingly mocking him.

“Really, Alice? Couldn’t think of anything else to ask?”

“I distinctly remember you once told me, that you hated to be psychoanalyzed. So, I’m asking. As someone close to you.”

With a sharp exhale, she closed her eyes; “My head’s broken, and there’s a steam hammer in my chest- I’m absolutely terrified- let me see the damned paper again.”

It was something small, a distraction, but it was one thing she liked nothing more - to have something to sink her anger into that wasn’t entirely self-directed; Too much, she scolded herself, immediately lowering eyes back down to what was written. 

‘BY ROYAL DECREE;

THE ACCUSED HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF TREASON UPON UNDERLAND’S OATH. THE ACCUSED WILL BE PUNISHED ACCORDINGLY FOLLOWING THE ARRIVAL OF THIS LETTER. FAILURE TO ADHERE TO CRIMES AS GUILTY WILL PRECEDE IN DEATH. 

SIGNED,

THE COUNSEL OF THE RED DISTRICT.’

She couldn’t help the stifle of laughter that escaped from her lips. Nice of the Red Queen to at least write to her, but no one was ever brought back alive from the punishment of the Counsel;

“I hope they know what they’re looking for, because they won’t like what they’ll find.”

© 2018 Diiavolx


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on June 6, 2018
Last Updated on June 6, 2018
Tags: tw: self harm, tw: graphic imagry, Tw: death mention, tw:blood, WIP

Author

Diiavolx
Diiavolx

TOPEKA, KS



About
oh boy I hope its a meme. more..