The Interview

The Interview

A Story by nihilistictablelamp

START.
"Alright, Thomas, it's been exactly ninety-two days since we last checked up on you, and the media has been wondering how you're holding up." 

"You make it seem like the media actually cares; That I as an individual hold a bit of damn significance in their fast paced lives -- Raking in money, getting home late and receiving only a wink of sleep while I oversleep at home, in-laws that drop by for a visit with play dates available for their offspring -- While I'm just stuck here, in this horrendously monotonous rut, made out to look like some hopeless case, still unable to comprehend the entirety of this situation." 

"Look, a*****e, just get up there and do your s**t."

STOP. 

START. 

"Thomas, it's good to see you," She gestures for him to take a seat on the futon. 

"That goes for you as well, Vivian." 

They exchange warm smiles, and Thomas' pearly white teeth flash in an instant.

"I have a few questions..." 

"Well, darling, what would be the media bereft of questions?"

"True, dear," She glances down, and quickly starts sifting through her papers.

He leans closer towards her, and slightly whispers, but makes his voice audible enough for the microphones overhead. 

"What's with the term of endearment, Vivian! I thought you abhorred my guts," She chuckles lightly but quite briefly. 

"I didn't think that it would be possible for you to regain your humor after the concussion that accompanied the accident." 
He is silent, the air grows thick, but quickly, he finds the words to speak. 

"Yes... Its been so long."

"I'm quite aware. You escaped with minor physical injuries, but it seems that you took more of a toll emotionally."

"I loved her."

Vivian responds with a rather quizzical and perplexed look. He is aware that this is not written within the script, but she continues despite the error. 

"Er... Yes, of course. Tell us, are you moving any time soon? Dispelling all those memories and starting life anew?"

"I will remain in my home, along with her memories."

Vivian glances at the cameraman, then begins to search feverishly for an adequate response, racking her brain for something other than such a touchy subject. 

"We're here to discuss the terms of the property, what has become of your children, and how much of an impact the medication has had on you." She smiles, forcefully. 

He smiles benignly. 
She plans on feinting the attack. 

"But, I am assured that we can make an exception for my aching heart."

Repetition of the horrendous smile: "Of course."

"Um. The way she looked at you as the eighteen wheeler slammed into her rear, how excruciating was it to see that?"

"Like the meaning of life was a page found in a book, and someone had ripped it out moments before the reader had gotten to glance at the page."

"A rather odd simile..." 

"Many things, things that you wouldn't even expect, can become contorted into similes."

"Oh, like what?" 

"Like the fact that I know you loved her. That you called her these... ridiculous things during a ridiculous time in our relationship when life was a ridiculous tight rope that we had to craft a balancing act upon. You tore her from me. And when I saw her like that: Bewildered, afraid, she didn't look at me, she looked past me, past to where you were somewhere; Cooking spaghetti for your three grown kids two days before Thanksgiving or watching a re-run of The Young And The Restless, or for f**k's sake I have frankly no idea what you were doing. All I know is that in that moment she wouldn't even look at me," He exhaled deeply, sucked his cheeks in and let the tears stream softly down his face and rose. "You have absolutely no ide-"

STOP. 

© 2013 nihilistictablelamp


Author's Note

nihilistictablelamp
I've never written anything solely based on dialogue, and my mind's been all over the place lately. Please, enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very natural, but eloquent, dialogue. You really killed this piece. I never realized how hard dialogue could be until I tried my hand at scripts. It's amzing how easily it can sound forced or out-of-character or overly wordy(especially with a narcissistic writer like me). In addition, your cursing sounds really natural...I know this sounds weird but I find s many writers who make any cursing sound forced, childish, and totally awkward. I myself have tons of trouble with it. Even people who curse in reality often manage to make it sound out-of-place on page. So, kudos. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I can see the scene unfolding. Good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very natural, but eloquent, dialogue. You really killed this piece. I never realized how hard dialogue could be until I tried my hand at scripts. It's amzing how easily it can sound forced or out-of-character or overly wordy(especially with a narcissistic writer like me). In addition, your cursing sounds really natural...I know this sounds weird but I find s many writers who make any cursing sound forced, childish, and totally awkward. I myself have tons of trouble with it. Even people who curse in reality often manage to make it sound out-of-place on page. So, kudos. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You know a piece of writing is amazing when a slight drip of jealousy slips out of your casual smile as you've just finished reading it. It's not so much the scene itself, but the fact that you used only simple dialogue to give a vivid image of it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"The beauty of stenography at its raw form. Despite the brief episodes of feelings and emotions. It goes to show there is art in the way we speak. For do we not speak with dialogue and conversation. I mean the art of a good conversation is having fluent dialogue not broken lingo. It helps establish that we are human and when we speak from our tongue we do not confuse instead we make peace, war and sometimes just hug it out in the end because that is the beauty of the conversation with a well-thought dialogue."

It's enjoyable for sure! Thank you for the good piece, makes me feel happy to be out of place sometimes but when we go back again that's when the real fun begins again :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting poem with its dialogue aspect. Well done...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A interesting discussion in the story. I had to read again to ensure I didn't miss the comments. I like the real life feel of the story. Media love to find reasons for mistakes. Thank you for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

Much appreciated!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2013
Last Updated on July 23, 2013
Tags: Start, stop, Interview, I'm Too Lazy To Put More Tags

Author

nihilistictablelamp
nihilistictablelamp

TX



About
I want to keep smashing myself until I am whole. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..