Dark corners of my mind

Dark corners of my mind

A Story by Louise
"

Psychological/thriller

"
When I first gain consciousness I keep my eyes closed, not liking the idea of waking and having to leave my comfortable bed. I stretch my arm out, reaching for my wife only to be met with air. I hesitate to open my eyes, dreading what awaits. Where is she? She knows I don't like it when she leaves without telling me. I begin to panic, trying to remember the night before did we fall out? Questions running through my head.

I groggily open my eyes, slowly accepting she's not here,I slowly look up and see the blank white ceiling staring back at me, the rough feel off the blanket tugging off my legs I begin to remember the the soft feel of the duvet, the smell of the clean cotton, It all disappears I turn to gather my surroundings realising Im not at home. The stark white blank walls send shivers down my spine. The stark, sterile stench wafting through the room is enough to make any man gag, and I'm no exception.

I quickly get to my feet, practically falling off the bed as I attempt to reach a corner of the room to hurl the contents of my stomach. The bile splashes unceremoniously onto the floor, I begin to feel light headed,I lean heavily against the wall, trying to regain my composure. I look up at the black door it slams open inches away from my face.

The unfamiliar man wearing what I would describe as a white top and bottoms asks me in a provocative tone to turn around and place my hands behind my back. Treating me as though I'm a prisoner. The man firmly grips onto my wrists placing the cold metal rings around them tightly. I plead with the man “I haven't done anything!” Pulling away not fully understanding what is going on. The man gently placed his hand on my shoulder in an almost comforting way.

I look down in no surprise at my cold bare feet and the white hospital gown swaying at my knees as I walk along side the man. I feel myself shaking as the cold white corridor surrounds me, I feel as though it is following me with its gripping eyes.

The man pulls at my wrists with the metal rings making me stumble over my own feet. We finally reach a door the man aggressively shows me into the room pushing me down on a hard wooden gloss stool, I can see the familiar white walls which have followed me to this room. I look around for a few minutes I begin to feel like I've been here before the room small and mysterious.

Another man walks in pulling a chair over to sit across from me, this man in a black suit and shiny black shoes. He introduces himself as “Dr Ellis” a familiar man with a forceful stare. He begins to ask me if I know who I am, I sit silently feeling as though I have been here before well of course i know who I am I think to myself beginning to question this. Looking into his dark green eyes I begin to open my mouth but the words get caught in my throat.

I get frustrated shouting at the strange man “why am I here?” Dr Ellis looks down shamefully at his shiny black shoes, he begins to mumble “well you see, you're name is Robert Easton I've been seeing you for the last twenty eight days and we are still waiting on a confession”

Confession? What would I have to confess to? I stare at the doctor in disbelief, my eyebrow c***s up in a silent challenge, sizing him up. I quickly get up on to my feet, my hands tightly behind my back swaying my balance. “What do I have to confess to?” I ask staring bluntly at his faded facial features, I could feel myself getting angry.

The room stands still, I look around it all begins to sink in but why am I here and I couldn't have been here for 28 days. The last thing I remember is waking up next to Rose her beautiful dark brown hair clinging to the pillow, her light blue eyes staring kindly back at me, her rosy lips forming her amazing smile and the baby bump pressing closely against my stomach creating the space between us.

It seems as though everything has just stood still the doctor sitting in the same position still quietly staring back at me. The thought of Rose fading, I begin to feel lost. My heart racing dr Ellis stares at me “Robert” he begins by saying pausing to take a deep breath “you stabbed you're wife thirty four times, killing her and you're unborn child”.

I feel a tear hit off my cheek, my eyes filing with water, my legs shaking I could feel heart claps inside of me. “Rose is alive!” I scream out almost believing myself tears flowing down my face. I knew the words he spoke were true but I didn't kill her, I wouldn't lay a hand on her, she understood me like no one else could and she would be the mother of my child. Why would I kill her? My thoughts racing.

Dr Ellis begins to explain “your wife was having an affair and was going to leave you, you found out the morning before you stabbed her to death this hadn't been the first time you lashed out causing harm to her” he pauses for a few seconds “Robert, you suffer from schizophrenia and psychotic episodes the first step to recovery is to confess and understand what you have done”.

“I didn't do it!” I lash out my body shaking, I stumble to the hard ground falling onto my knees “I didn't do it!” Repeating myself. I pause for a minute or two coming to a conclusion it all comes flooding back the warm red blood dripping from my hands falling softly onto the Snow White rug, her irritating voice screaming out for help until she couldn't scream. My pulse racing , I violently pierced into her skin again and again. I remember falling to my knees realising what I had done not because she was gone but because I had lost everything I didn't feel remorse or sorrow I didn't feel anything. My face began to contort in anger.

I look at Dr Ellis softly I begin to smile almost bursting out into laughter “ it's funny isn't it doctor” I say, he stares back at me confused I start to feel a little sympathetic for the man.
I start to feel faint , His features beginning to twist before my eyes I sit there silently. My reality wasn't only distorted it was gone.


© 2017 Louise


Author's Note

Louise
Not perfect but first draft, what could I fix?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

To add some flow don't cut and make each piece a paragraph connect a few of your paragraphs such as paragraph 2 and 3 as well as 6 and 7.
All in all the piece is a good draft and well written with not too little or two much detail.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Added on March 1, 2017
Last Updated on March 1, 2017

Author

Louise
Louise

Glasgow , United Kingdom