Story: Lightbearer's Folly - The Garden

Story: Lightbearer's Folly - The Garden

A Story by Dave "Doc" Rogers
"

Life at the beginning of things.

"
Lightbearer's Folly � The Garden
By Dave Doc Rogers
20090102

Something stirred within him. In his world of darkness, pain, and despair, he felt movement on the inside. A spark stirred within him, a taste of life. The others surrounding him could sense his nervousness. They became afraid, fearing another one of his sudden outbursts and the pain they would suffer for it. But he did not strike out at them. He sat motionless, savoring the feeling.

"LIGHT BE"

There was a brilliant flare that filled his awareness. Where there had been constant darkness there was now brilliant light. His eyes were pained by the intensity of it. After existing within the dark for so long, to see light again was overwhelming. But this was not the same light as before. This light radiated. It was not alive. He could feel it striking his skin. It was warm. There was heat. For the first time he noticed there had been an absence of heat. A deep chill had taken his heart. At first there was elation at the discovery, then sadness for what was missed, then hatred for where he found himself now. It was gone. He cried and wailed in a loud voice. Those nearest him climbed over the others to get away from his reach lest he stretch out his hand toward them and they suffer at his touch.

Eventually the despair and wonder of the 'light' passed. He looked around him. He was surrounded on all sides by cowering distortions of those who were once brilliant powers like himself. Not like himself exactly, he admitted. He was the greatest among them. He was the Light Bearer! The moment filled him and passed. He gritted his teeth to fight back the anger that boiled within him. They failed me, he thought. He could see them now. He gave in to the temptation, the idea that brewed in his heart.

They were unable to escape his reach. They ran. They tried to hide, to make themselves small and unnoticed. He found each one and tormented them until he was spent. His anger and wrath was sated, if only for a moment. He looked down at the mass of strewn and twisted forms. Everywhere his hand moved under the light there was shadow. He was amazed at this phenomenon. He moved his hand this way and that. He reached out. Those fearing his touch again even ran from his shadow. He began laughing in maniacal mirth. Those around him watched in continued fear. Then quite suddenly, all went dark. His laughter stopped immediately as a voice spoke.

"NIGHT'

All was quiet except for the murmuring and whimpering. A fear and dread had come upon all again. They were back in the darkness without a sense of presence or awareness. All that existed was the pallor of fear and despair. Periodically the sounds of fighting would break out. Shrill cries of pain, the resounding crack of things that should not be broken, the tearing of cloth and sinew. And he who once led all barely took notice. He was lost in his own pains and despair.

The brilliant flair of Light returned. He shielded eyes for a moment then began to look around. Things were nearly the same. Some looked worse. He did not care. He could feel the power and the fear of that power. He took note of who was victor and who was victim. He savored the emotions of these surrounding him.

Looking around he noted there was a new type of movement occurring. The air around him seemed to swirl and ebb of its own. It began to coalesce. He followed it. They followed after him, at a safe distance. In the midst of his world, there formed a firmament. He studied it. What was happening, he did not know. He saw this firmament forming and went to be nearest it. And those with him followed after him. As they approached the firmament a separation formed above them. They heard a voice speak.

"HEAVEN"

Then it was dark. They dreaded the dark. The Great One would roam around venting his wrath where he willed. Those that had been victors in the last darkness he drew closer to himself. He caused them to make war on the victims, to punish and torment them for their weaknesses. He railed words upon them, accusing them for his current state. He would buffet them with words, spirit, and hand; extending torment even to his tormentors.

The Light reappeared. Once again the Night had its effect. There were more around him with that same look of gloating power. The victors had enjoyed their spoils. The victims cowered in fear of reproach. As he was watching and savoring his Night's work, the firmament upon which he stood began to move. All around him were tossed and upset as though they mattered little at all. The firmament changed again. Some were trapped within and some were trapped without. A ball was formed under the Heaven. Upon it there was soft flowing and hard not flowing. The flowing portions moved around the hard portions and settled together. And the voice spoke again.

"EARTH"

The Night returned. Darkness covered the Earth. They found it easier to hide from the Great Tormentor. They hid in various places around Earth. They hid from the tormentor and his allies. The shrieking and wailing could be heard throughout the Night as one by one each was found and punished for their disservice to the Great Tormentor.

The Light returned. He was spent. He rested from his efforts. Those around him looked cautiously on. Even as tired as he was he was more terrible than they. As he rested, he felt The Presence once more. Each time he heard the voice speak, he felt The Presence before it. He looked around to see what would happen. What thing would the Voice name? He saw things come up out of the Earth. All manner of things came up out of the Earth. Even as he moved around in observance, he would watch things start breaking the surface to increase in size until it became full and then it would drop portions of itself that would be swallowed up to make new ones. He watched all of this occur with deep fascination. Everywhere he went the cycle continued. Then it was dark.

When the Light had returned, the Great Tormentor finished his Night's labors by dropping behind him a hapless victim of his punishments. Those with him took the wrecked being and threw him far from their master. He felt The Presence again but it was not nearby. He looked up and saw the Light separating. He saw a great orb form then a lesser orb that was closer to the Earth, and then greater orbs but at great distances from the Earth. He studied them all during that Light until the Night came. He observed the distant orbs were very visible during the Night. He studied their movements and positions, fascinated by their brilliance and persistent movement even at such great distance. So fascinated by the lesser lights, the Great Tormentor did not torment at all during this Night.

He saw the Greater Light coming before it fully arrived. He could feel the first touches upon his skin. He watched with amazement as the lesser lights of the Night gave way to the great light of the Light. Soon the orb was in full view. The brilliance reminded him of where he once stood. A rage lifted up in him that he could not bear. He began seeking all that were with him and rending them in any which way that seemed good to him. His assault continued throughout the Light, into the Night, and throughout the next Light. He railed on them with words and blows. Their wailing and shrieking only seemed to feed his anger at them for their failures to him. He was drunk with the siphoning of their emotions, their fears, their hatreds, their loathing of him. He reveled in it all and was strengthened by it.

He was about to lift his hand once again to assail yet another victim when his hand was stayed. He felt The Presence, again. This time more intensely than he had previously. He could sense It was focused nearby. He flew to it as quickly as he could.

It was there. It was intensity like he knew once before. He could taste of the life and the light that was living. Great remorse shook him for what he once had and now knew. There was life itself and he knew not how to get it. He tried to get closer but was halted at a distance and could not go any closer. He tried all his strength at The Presence and did not prevail. Yet he continued his struggle. He perceived a heightening intensity of The Presence. He felt a rush of air pass by him. He could see someone standing in the midst of The Presence. He saw other things walking up to the Other who would stretch out his hand then it would move on for the next to do the same. He could hear words being uttered over each thing. Then The Presence and the Other began walking around. The Other would tend to all things around him. Everywhere the Other went so did The Presence. He could not get close to the Other. Then he heard words he wished he had not.

"BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY, AND FILL THE EARTH, AND SUBDUE IT; AND RULE OVER THE FISH OF THE SEA AND OVER THE BIRDS OF THE SKY, AND OVER EVERY LIVING THING THAT MOVES ON THE EARTH."

The words shook him to his core. He felt them settling over him like a weight. He could clearly see this Other now. In form, he was different than the others but looking closely on him revealed he was just like the One who sent him here. On the inside, the Other had no depth or width or height that he could measure. He feared this more than anything. Until the arrival of this Other and the words spoken, there was no thing that had dominion over him. He feared this Other greatly and began to plan instantly how he could remove these words placed upon him.

The Great Tormentor forsook his victors and victims. He stood over this Other and watched him as closely as he could. Wherever the Other went, The Presence went also. How could he separate them, he thought to himself. The Other spent his days walking this way and that caring for every little thing around him, both the great in stature and the smallest of the small. All things he oversaw and cared for them. And ever was The Presence with the Other.

The Other stopped before what the Tormentor learned was called a Tree; for whatever the Other called a thing that is what The Presence also called it. Then The Presence spoke to the Other.

"FROM ANY TREE IN THE GARDEN YOU MAY EAT FREELY; BUT FROM THE TREE OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL YOU SHALL NOT EAT, FOR THE DAY THAT YOU EAT FROM IT YOU SHALL SURELY DIE."

Elation jumped within the heart of the Tormentor. I shall make the Other eat of this tree and he shall die. I shall be freed of this thing, this Other, and the words of The Presence. He felt the focus of The Presence upon himself and grew greatly afraid and hid himself from The Presence.

The Great Tormentor studied the Night lights, the greater Light, and the lesser Light; their movements, their comings and goings. He tormented those around him making them his servants. Making them to worship him. And ever present in his thoughts were the plans made and remade for causing the death of this Other. He had an idea but needed to watch the Other to see if it would work. He returned to the place where The Presence moved with the Other. Great fear mixed with elation at what he was about to do. He watched as the Other tended every living thing; even the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. He waited and watched. The Other is alone, like me. I will destroy him. His thoughts reached to the Other who looked around and did not see one like himself.

A great sleep came upon the Other. He could not see what it was The Presence did. When he could see again the Other, there were two of Them. He fled from the sight of Them. A pain grew greatly in his heart. TWO OF THEM, he cried out in his heart. The fear of his coming caused those that followed him to scatter and hide. It availed them nothing. He spent his fear and wrath upon them until he was spent.

After a time, he returned to Them. He saw the new Other nearest the Tree. A serpent drew near. He took it as his own and commanded it to the Tree. Being wary of The Presence and the first Other, he approached the new Other.

"Indeed. Has The Presence said, 'YOU SHALL NOT EAT FROM ANY TREE OF THE GARDEN?'"

"From the fruit of the trees of the Garden we may eat." She paused in thought, "But from the fruit of the Tree which is in the middle of the Garden GOD has said, 'YOU SHALL NOT EAT FROM IT OR TOUCH IT, LEST YOU DIE.'"

The serpent replied to her, "Surely, you shall not die!"

He had seen the first Other touch the Tree many times tending it. He knew this Other would not die. What could he say? They were made like The Presence, he thought hard to answer this Other.

"Ahh, but GOD knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be wholly like GOD, knowing good and evil."

He stared at this Other imploring her with the sweetness of his words. She looked to the Tree. She saw that its fruit looked good for food, that it was pleasing to her eye. And she thought to herself the Tree was good to make one wise like GOD. She touched the tree. She did not die. The first Other came to her side and began tending the Tree also. She plucked a pleasing bit of fruit from the Tree. The first Other looked at her but continued tending the Tree. She looked to the Fruit in her hand. She had not died. It was pleasing to look upon. She could smell the aroma of it. She held it closer to her nose and inhaled deeply. I could be wise like GOD, she thought. She bit into the Fruit. It was fruit. She had not died. She turned to the first Other who was staring at her in amazement. "See it is fruit. I have not died." She handed him the piece of Fruit and he also ate of it. He did not die. Neither of them died.

The First looked to the Second and said, "We are without covering!"

The Second looked down at the both of them and cried out in alarm. Quickly they found a fig tree in full bloom and made coverings for themselves. They looked to each other and were ashamed. Fear came upon them. The Presence was moving through the Garden toward them. They hid themselves.

"ADAM! WHERE ARE YOU!?!" The Words rippled through the hearts of them.

Showing himself partially from where he hid, "I heard the sound of THEE in the Garden, and I was afraid because I was without covering. So I hid myself."

"WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE WITHOUT COVERING? HAVE YOU EATEN FROM THE TREE THAT I COMMANDED NOT TO EAT!?!"

"The Woman whom THOU gave to be with me, she gave me from the Tree, and I ate."

The Presence focused HIS attention to the Woman, "WHAT IS THIS YOU HAVE DONE?"

"The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

The Presence turned to the serpent, "BECAUSE YOU HAVE DONE THIS, CURSED ARE YOU MORE THAN ALL CATTLE, AND MORE THAN EVERY BEAST OF THE FIELD. ON YOUR BELLY SHALL YOU GO. AND DUST SHALL YOU EAT ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE. AND I WILL PUT ENMITY BETWEEN YOU AND THE WOMAN, AND BETWEEN YOUR SEED AND HER SEED; HE SHALL BRUISE YOU ON THE HEAD AND YOU SHALL BRUISE HIM ON THE HEEL.

The Presence, Whom the Woman called GOD, turned to the Woman, "I WILL GREATLY MULTIPLY YOU PAIN IN CHILDBIRTH. IN PAIN YOU SHALL BRING FORTH CHILDREN; YET YOUR DESIRE SHALL BE FOR YOUR HUSBAND. AND HE SHALL HAVE RULE OVER YOU."

The Presence, Whom the Others call GOD, turned to the One He called Adam, "BECAUSE YOU HAVE LISTENED TO THE VOICE OF YOU WIFE, AND HAVE EATEN FROM THE TREE ABOUT WHICH I COMMANDED THEE SAYING 'YOU SHALL NOT EAT FROM IT,' CURSED IS THE GROUND BECAUSE OF YOU! IN TOIL YOU SHALL EAT OF IT ALL THE DAYS OF YOUR LIFE. BOTH THORNS AND THISTLES IT SHALL GROW FOR YOU; AND YOU SHALL EAT THE PLANTS OF THE FIELD; BY THE SWEAT OF YOUR FACE YOU SHALL EAT BREAD, TILL YOU RETURN TO THE GROUND, BECAUSE FROM IT YOU WERE TAKEN. FOR YOU ARE DUST AND TO DUST YOU SHALL RETURN."

As the words of The Presence washed over them, the legs of the serpent in which the Tormenter was disappeared. The Words of The Presence settled deep within the heart of the Tormentor and he could not forget them. The One called Adam and the One he called Eve were driven out of the Garden in the direction of the coming up of the greater Light. The Tormentor went his way pondering both the Words that were spoken and the Others who yet lived even though they ate the fruit as he had hoped they would do and die. Yet they did not die. The Words spoken by The Presence and his failed plan plagued the Tormentor and he went his way in thought.

*

�2009 Dave Doc Rogers
_______________________
Prev: Lucifer's Folly
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/DocRogers/359557/

© 2009 Dave "Doc" Rogers


Author's Note

Dave "Doc" Rogers
ignore grammar problems, what do you think of the writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Reminds me of C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy. One of the books dealt with the creation of a world just like ours, but I don't remember the name of the book. You should read it if you haven't. But the way you wrote the Creation is very similar to his style. It is very thought provoking. After all, we usually don't look at thing's from Lucifer's point of view. And instead of making him scheming and evil, you have made him almost child-like. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Reminds me of C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy. One of the books dealt with the creation of a world just like ours, but I don't remember the name of the book. You should read it if you haven't. But the way you wrote the Creation is very similar to his style. It is very thought provoking. After all, we usually don't look at thing's from Lucifer's point of view. And instead of making him scheming and evil, you have made him almost child-like. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

again, incredible that this has not yet been read. yet people post ten lines of piffle and the masses GUSH. Who knows why? It used to be that stories were read here...Maybe because people don't want to THINK. This thing - it makes me shudder. It is visual, intense - and the perspective completely different than even what I usually see in the "Christian themed" genre.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Once again, I feel humbled to my core. This is a fantastic rendition of an age old story. This one, for me, is much more inviting, if I can use that word here. :-) Keep it up...you've got a fan.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
4 Reviews
Added on January 2, 2009
Last Updated on February 21, 2009

Author

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Dave "Doc" Rogers

Montgomery, AL



About
Artist • Author • Poet • Preacher I am a thinker, ponderer, assayer of thoughts. I have had a penchant for writing since childhood. I prefer "Doc" as an hommage to my grandfather Rob.. more..

Writing