Essays: Facebook isn�t free, it�s a business

Essays: Facebook isn�t free, it�s a business

A Story by Dave "Doc" Rogers
"

I got in a mood.

"
by Dave "Doc" Rogers

It is interesting how in the United States no one thinks about what they have until someone tries to take it away. I may be speaking from my bias of 48 years of living, bouncing around the USA for a bit, several trips to Europe courtesy of the US Navy, and having friends from around the globe giving me their perspectives. Okay, I am speaking from that bias. But, it is still interesting how people here in the US will do nothing until threatened with losing it all.

I have observed that a majority of the people in the United States are content with 40+ hours of work every week, 2 or 3 weeks of vacation every year, and trying to keep up with their neighbors' consumer goods spending. It is the "American Dream" after all, owning a 3/2/2 with the kids and the dog. It is not everyone's dream but Madison Avenue and partners have created that as the standard. And left undisturbed, the majority of people happily fit into that mold. What is discounted as unimportant � except at holidays and tax season � is the number of people on the outer fringes of this majority. There is the lower spectrum of people that do not have and are in need � hence, your holiday and tax deductible giving. The lower spectrum of people live daily with someone taking from them: the 'man,' the thief, the cop, the politician, the neighborhood parasites, et cetera. And there is the upper spectrum; the well educated and/or affluent. The objective of the rich is to remain so. The objective of the well educated rarely has anything to do with the furtherance of education and feeding young minds to drive the next generation. Typically, the well educated become bastions of social reform, change, or out right manipulation in 'experiment.' This is especially so when someone from the lower spectrum rises through to the upper spectrum of the well educated. They become champions of social change.

When the status quo becomes 'stale' and tried and boring, the complainers rise up periodically and say that because their particular 'thing' is not important to everybody it is not getting enough attention. They rile at the establishment and chant 'change' until like a whiny child they get it; whether it is right or not. Then the experimenters come out of the woodwork like parasites attacking a host and establish themselves co-laborers in a just cause, all the while espousing their own brand of political and social reforms. Then it occurs to the majority in the middle. It slips through the gauze of veiled misdirection and hinted at truths. It sneaks into the information flow to the silent majority in their slumber world of make believe 'all is well in the cul-de-sac." And, a child points out the emperor is wearing no clothes.

First there is shock and disbelief that someone would point out contrarily things are not what they seem to be. Then some begin to believe the truth while others hold fast they can see the fine threadwork because it makes them as special as those closest to the emperor. The end result remains the same. Truth remains true. And the emperor quickly runs to hide his under-alls; every lie and deception having been exposed. Not only is this a tale told to children, but history keeps bearing this out over time. No wonder no one teaches history as living, vibrant, and relevant. If they did it would be harder to sell the invisible threads of deception.

If we are not careful what we have taken as 'granted' becomes a permission that can be removed by the 'grantor.' Freedom of speech, press, lawful assembly, religion � these aren't free. There is a cost associated to each one of them. The rights established by a government are ink on paper; hexadecimal data bits in electromagnetic storage; ideas that carry the full weight of their disposable media. Fire burns paper. Loss of power or too much power ruins electronic storage. Even the hammer, weather, and earthquakes destroy stone and steel. There is nothing of permanence on the face of the Earth. Save one thing. People.

I have heard, and occasionally joined in, that people complain they cannot join their social network online or they 'got themselves TOS'ed.' I have heard it said and even thought it myself, that 'they can't do that.' Yes, they can. It is a business. You are not 'righted' to use their service. It is not a privilege to use their service. It is a granted permission to use their service. Such granting can be removed at the pleasure, want, desire, decision, et cetera of the primary provider with or without written notification. It is by 'permission' that users are allowed to utilize those services; agreed to by clicking yes, I agree, OK, or some other similar convention. The news media and the social networks, the internet services, the printed media [newspapers and magazines] are not required in the least to give you access or voice. They are required by their owners to find a way to take your money; whether by advertising or by transfer of goods for funds. It is a for-profit business.

The watch-out is when those who have been elected or appointed begin to think and believe [live out as if true and valid] that governance has become a business unto itself. And if governance is an entity unto itself it is no longer required to respond back to those governed. Outside of the United States of America and a few other real democratic republics, governance is the entity and those governed are governed at its pleasure. Inside the United States of America government of the people, by the people, and for the people is slowly eroding away. Great speeches made by men and women in difficult situations painting a hope that should not pass away have fallen on seemingly deaf ears.

"We the people �"

It is when the guiding documents that direct our method of governance remain alive through the people who continue to support it that the piece of paper with inked words becomes vibrant, alive. It is when the piece of paper inked with words becomes sacred, holy text that only a limited few can see or grasp the depths of understanding necessary to glean its wisdom that it becomes a noose around the necks of those so governed.

The radical few would like to think that by their many and loud words they can shut down the opposing voices crying out. They think that if they cower the masses with twisty words of guilt and shame, of bigotry and prejudice; that to think a certain way will require the individual to decide on whose side they will stand. Psychology tells us that rather than act, the masses will allow themselves to be steered as so much cattle or sheep. Shall I remind the reader where all those masses of livestock were being gently steered? While in the wild the longhorn cattle fought the good fight of survival. Survival was dependent upon instinct, effort, and mutual protection. As ranches formed up, the longhorns adapted to easy grazing for several years until en masse they were led to the slaughterhouses of Fort Worth, Kansas City, and Chicago. Survival requires effort. Passive sustenance only requires a parasite.

The social networks provide a service but want your money. Their advertising partners want your money. The various news media provide information and shock for money. Their advertisers pay them to shock or entice the viewer into looking at their advertising to induce buying. They are businesses out to make money. They will find a way to make that happen. They do not owe you anything except to skillfully try to take your money. The value of the product depends on those selling it.

The danger lies in the various media using the collective passive social change influence. For years that was passive and a service of advertising for manufacturers' products. Then the marketeers began applying 'the con' to selling advertising; a psychology to manipulate an outcome. Until now they are bloated ticks on a sedentary host too blinded to realize its state. That manipulation, that con, has been applied to our current governance. If you are aligned with those pulling the string attached to the nose of the bull then you are praised and favored. If you point out that the string pulling the ring is attached to people, you are decried as insane, a radical, uncouth, contrary, against the establishment, racist, hater, et cetera. Woe to you should you point out to the world that it is the emperor in his clothes of invisible thread who is actually naked and pulling the ring in the nose of the people. Hmm.

I wonder how long I will be able to write such before I am shut down and heard from no more. After all, I own no media outlets to keep my voice going. The social networks allow my presence at their pleasure. The mainstream media do not accept anyone's opinion except their own. Mark my words, your individual sovereignty is at stake. Enjoy.

� 20091024
http://www.docrogerswrites.com

© 2009 Dave "Doc" Rogers


Author's Note

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I found it hard to follow where you were trying to lead. Yes, I agree... the best are pressured to conform to mediocrity, and the worst are pressured to reach it. But that seems to be hardwired into the human brain at some level. I am living and working right now in Guatemala; a country that suffered the ill effects of American foreign policy for over 100 years, and that is desperately in need of reform in order to meet basic survival. Until about 10 years ago here, you literally could be "disappeared" in this country for being and individual or speaking of human rights. I just don't see that happening in America in my lifetime.

I am one of those educated fringes you write about, and, yes, I did rise from the lower class through intellect. Yes, I am trying to help people promote their own policy reforms. No, I don't have a house in the suburbs, and I probably never will. I agree that privacy invasion and censorship are evils that must be confronted. But so are fact distortion and apathy. Speaking as someone whose name has actually been a hit list, I'm not all that worried. What worries me more is a lack of compassion and human interaction. The lack of caring what happend in our homes, backyards, neighborhoods. Your essay raises provoking questions for m, but it seems a little unfocused in its intent. Would be curious to hear more?


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I found it hard to follow where you were trying to lead. Yes, I agree... the best are pressured to conform to mediocrity, and the worst are pressured to reach it. But that seems to be hardwired into the human brain at some level. I am living and working right now in Guatemala; a country that suffered the ill effects of American foreign policy for over 100 years, and that is desperately in need of reform in order to meet basic survival. Until about 10 years ago here, you literally could be "disappeared" in this country for being and individual or speaking of human rights. I just don't see that happening in America in my lifetime.

I am one of those educated fringes you write about, and, yes, I did rise from the lower class through intellect. Yes, I am trying to help people promote their own policy reforms. No, I don't have a house in the suburbs, and I probably never will. I agree that privacy invasion and censorship are evils that must be confronted. But so are fact distortion and apathy. Speaking as someone whose name has actually been a hit list, I'm not all that worried. What worries me more is a lack of compassion and human interaction. The lack of caring what happend in our homes, backyards, neighborhoods. Your essay raises provoking questions for m, but it seems a little unfocused in its intent. Would be curious to hear more?


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There's nothing in your essay that I would disagreee with at all. You wrote it very elequently.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

smart words my friend. I guess I am a bit of a fringe dweller, an anomaly. I'm not very "Loud" most days, but I'm not the typical fit the mold type of girl...
Peace.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stay moody. And find a way to make more people listen. This needs to be said and read more. Oh and any time you feel like riding on my trains of thought you won't need to buy a ticket.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very powerful and truthful words. I totally agree and have been preaching similar words for years. The very generation who picketed to woman's rights, for equality regardless of race, color or creed, who rioted against oppression have themselves turned into the oppressors. You are told what you can read in the schools, what books need to be banned, how our own property is governed by the masses, we are told when we are allowed to pray, we are told what fats we are allowed to cook with, we aren't allowed to smoke even in our own vehicles, we are punished if we are over weight, and the list just keeps going on and on. "They" argue that it is for our own good, for the rights of all etc when all they are doing is making excuses to take away our rights one right at a time. Blindly the masses nod their heads and even say thank you for looking out for my good. When will they wake up - outside the doors to the slaughter house? I am afraid that are grandchildren will suffer for our blindness and our deafness.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very thought-provoking piece. I have never really thought of this aspect before, nor have I likened anything like to that the story of the emperor's new clothes. Interesting and accurate analogy. A good piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

475 Views
6 Reviews
Added on October 25, 2009
Last Updated on November 25, 2009

Author

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Dave "Doc" Rogers

Montgomery, AL



About
Artist • Author • Poet • Preacher I am a thinker, ponderer, assayer of thoughts. I have had a penchant for writing since childhood. I prefer "Doc" as an hommage to my grandfather Rob.. more..

Writing