The Contract (Pt I)

The Contract (Pt I)

A Screenplay by Donna G. Cooper
"

The answer to freelance dating

"

EXT. – BUSY STREET – MID MORNING

ANNA and her boyfriend, DAVID are walking along a busy street in Chicago, hand in hand.  He leans in at one point and kisses her on her forehead. She then puts her other hand on top of his and she holds his hand in both of hers as they walk.

The stop at a book store and go inside. They emerge a few moments later with drinks and once again make their way down the street hand in hand. The come up on a park and take a stroll through the grass.  They find a shady spot and sit down, sipping their drinks and carrying on their conversation.


ANNA
You should just read it.

DAVID
Why? I’ve already seen the movie.

ANNA
It’s not the same! The book is so much better. The detail is just amazing. After I read it, I felt like I had seen a movie.

DAVID
Well, I’m one step ahead of you then, since I already watched the movie.

ANNA
You know what I mean. Don’t be stupid.


David pretends to be offended. Anna laughs at his attempt and lays her head in his lap.


ANNA
We should bring our kids here every Saturday. I just love this place.



DAVID
Who said anything about kids?

ANNA
Funny. Seriously, though…how many kids do you want?

DAVID
As many as I can afford to send to boarding school.

ANNA
David! You can’t be serious!?

DAVID
I’m only kidding. I dunno. I’ve never really thought about it.

ANNA
Really? You never thought about kids in any of your past relationships?

DAVID
I don’t really plan that far ahead.

ANNA
Well, you’ve had to at least thought about marriage, right?

DAVID
Yeah, a little bit.

ANNA
When do you picture yourself getting married?

DAVID
You mean, when do I picture US getting married?

ANNA
No! That’s not what I meant.

DAVID
Oh please! You’ve been hinting around about it for months now.


ANNA
Well, what’s wrong with it? We’ve been together for a year and half. I’ve met your parents and you’ve met mine.  What are we waiting for?

DAVID
Anyone ever tell you that patience is a virtue? (Gets up) C’mon. Lets go.


David pulls Anna off the grass and they leave the park and David changes the subject. She pulls his arm around her shoulder and kisses his hand.

They walk back to his apartment in silence and go inside. Anna can sense that something has shifted.


INT. – DAVID’S LIVINGROOM – EARLY AFTERNOON


David and Anna enter the apartment, where David sits down on the couch and turns on the TV. Anna sits down next to him. Quietly at first, but then she tries to rouse him. She slowly kisses his neck and he gets up to get a drink.


ANNA
Is something wrong?

DAVID
No. Why?

ANNA
I dunno. You’re just quiet.

DAVID
I just want to concentrate on the game.


When he sits back down, she throws her legs over his lap and snuggles up on his shoulder. She runs her fingers up and down his fore arm. When he doesn’t respond she starts nibbling on his earlobe.



DAVID
Babe, not now the games getting ready to start.

ANNA
You won’t miss the whole thing.


Anna climbs on top of him and starts kissing him in earnest. Giving in, he picks her up and carries her into the bedroom and shuts the door.


INT. – DAVID’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – LATER IN THE AFTERNOON

ANNA is laying naked in bed, covered only partially by a sheet. Laying next to her is a man. She rolls over and kisses his shoulder. He sits up and climbs out of bed staying silent as he did. Anna just watched him as he walked in and out of the room in the small apartment. Finally, he came back in the room and Anna smiled as he did. David sat back down on the bed.

ANNA
How about we order a pizza for dinner?

DAVID
Anna, can we talk?

ANNA
Sure. Is everything okay?

DAVID
(Pausing)
I don’t think this is working.

ANNA
What’s not working?

DAVID
This. Us.

ANNA
David, what are you talking about? What’s going on?


DAVID
Anna, I love you. I just don’t see a future with you.

ANNA
(Pausing)
And you tell me this now? You wait until after we’ve just… We’ve done…

DAVID
It’s not like that, Anna. Look, I’m not trying to hurt you. I’m just trying to be honest.

ANNA
Honest? How long have you felt this way?

DAVID
For a while, now. I’ve tried to work through it, but I just can’t. And it’s not fair to you.

ANNA
Well, thank you for looking out for my best interest. How noble of you.


Anna gets up and starts putting her clothes on.


DAVID
Anna, please don’t be like that. I really don’t want to hurt you.

ANNA
Well, it’s a little late for that, David. You could have told me you were having doubts. You could have given me some indication that you were unhappy. But no. You put on a good act. Letting me believe that everything is hunky dory! I mean, we’ve been talking about marriage for the last few months and yet, nothing! You just lead me to believe that things are heading in the right direction and then BAM! You tell me that you don’t see a future with me?
DAVID
Anna, it’s not like that.

ANNA
It’s not? Then what is it like? Is there another woman?

DAVID
No!

ANNA
Then what?! Why can’t you see a future with me? What’s wrong with me? Do I not cook well enough? Do I not do your laundry the way you like? Am I not good enough in bed?  …do you …do you not think I’ll make a good enough mother?

DAVID
Stop it! Anna, don’t do this.

ANNA
Do what, David?! Be upset that the relationship that I finally thought was right is being pulled out from under me with out any warning? That my heart is being broken into a million pieces and all you can do is stand there and tell me NOTHING?!


David walked to Anna and tried to hug her. She pulled away quickly, grabbed the last of her belongings, and stormed out of the apartment.



INT. – SAM’S APARTMENT BUILDING – AFTERNOON

Anna walks through the empty hall way and up to Sam’s door and knocks. After a moment Sam comes to the door.

SAM
Anna? What’s wrong?

ANNA
(sobbing)
David and I broke up.

SAM
No! Why? –Come in, come in.


Anna walks in the door and Sam Shuts the door behind her.


INT. – INSIDE SAMS APARTMENT – CONT.

Sam leads Anna into the kitchen and Anna sits down at the dinner table. Sam gets Anna something to drink, and brings it back to the table and sits down with Anna.


SAM
Anna, tell me what happened.

ANNA
I don’t know what happened! We had just made love and he just got all weird and was walking around and he came back and said that he didn’t see a future with me.

SAM
Did he say why? Is there someone else?

ANNA
No. I don’t know! I asked, but he just kept saying that he loved me and didn’t want to hurt me. (Looks at Sam) Why is this happening to me?

SAM
(Reaches over and gives Anna a hug)
I don’t know, Honey.  I’m sorry.

ANNA
Sam, I honestly thought he was going to be the one. I thought he was going to propose with in the next six months. How could I be so wrong?





SAM
Don’t take this the wrong way, Anna, but why did you think he was “the one”? To be honest, I never thought he was going to settle down and get married? He seemed to enjoy partying so much.

ANNA
Huh? What are you talking about? David talked about getting married all the time.

SAM
No, Anna. You talked about it. He just played along. Listen, you were too good for David, anyway. He never really appreciated you, y’know?


Sam’s husband, Jamie comes through the door, just returning from a Saturday baseball game.


JAMIE
Hello, Ladies! Sam, baby, we won!

SAM
Not now, Jamie. Anna and David broke up.

JAMIE
Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.

ANNA
Thanks, Jamie. (turning back to Sam) I just don’t get it. Why would he say all those things about having kids and getting married if he never really wanted to?

SAM
I don’t really know.

JAMIE
I do. Men will tell women anything they think the girl wants to hear. If it means saying some meaningless things about getting married, and popping out a few babies to get the guy in the door…


Jamie stops talking as he notices the look on his wife’s face.


SAM
So, you just told me all the things I wanted to hear? Is that what you do now, just to shut me up?

JAMIE
Uh… Damn it! No, Sammy, I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant that… Well, it’s the truth. Guys are dogs. I can tell the truth now, because I got the girl of my dreams. I’m just being honest.



ANNA
(Smiling a little)
Nice save. (Turns back to Sam again) I don’t know, though. It just seems so out of the blue.  I mean, we had a great day today, nothing seemed out of place. Then all of the sudden he drops this bomb on me. I just seems so odd.

JAMIE
Listen, Anna, take my advice. David was beneath you. He would say what ever he had to keep you happy for the time being. It probably just got to be too much pressure for him, knowing that you weren’t going to wait around forever for him to propose. He decided on a pre-emptive strike.

ANNA
A pre-emptive strike?

JAMIE
Yeah. He figured he’d break it off first, because he knew you’d end up doing it soon anyway if he didn’t propose.

ANNA
I know what a pre-emptive strike is, Jamie. I just don’t get it.

JAMIE
You see…when a guy…

SAM
Jamie! You’re not helping.

JAMIE
I am too! You’re always complaining that I never interact with your friends, and now you don’t want me too!

SAM
James, now is not the time!

JAMIE
Fine. I know when I’m not wanted. If you need me, I’ll be in the shower.


Jamie stalks off, and Anna and Sam look at each other amused.


SAM
He’s such a baby.

ANNA
He’s cute. He was just trying to help.

SAM
Don’t ever let him give you dating advice. He knows nothing!

ANNA
Hey, you think I can stay here tonight? There’s too much of his stuff at my place. I don’t think I can face it right now.

SAM
Absolutely. Stay as long as you need to.

ANNA
Thanks.

© 2008 Donna G. Cooper


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on May 5, 2008
Last Updated on May 5, 2008

Author

Donna G. Cooper
Donna G. Cooper

Port Orange, FL



About
I've suddenly found myself with more free time on my hands. What to do? What to do? I just lost my job today (May 7th, 2008). Some would considered it a bad thing, but I consider it a blessing in dis.. more..

Writing