Dandelion

Dandelion

A Story by H. E. Gray
"

A short depicting the final moments of two childhood friends.

"
“Hey, remember when we were kids?” Sitting on a bench, nestled atop a hill, he gazes at a seemingly endless valley of tall grass and gentle breeze. “We always loved being outside. We would run for as long as we could, for as far as we could, always trying to one-up each other. Of course, our parents never liked us straying too far from home.”

As we laugh, the breeze grows stronger, blowing flower petals into our hair. “Dandelions. I remember these. Don't you? After all, they are your favorite flower. There was this hill on the outskirts of town that was always COVERED in them! I always found you there picking them and turning them into crowns and bracelets. You always called me your 'King' as you crowned me with your dandelion crown. I miss those days.

Some time during the summer the year you left, your mother passed away from cancer. You never came out of your room for a whole month. I tried many times to talk you into letting me in, but you never spoke a word to me. Then one day, you were gone. I walked to your home only to find it vacant. It was only after when I ran into Sheriff Whitaker that I found out your dad got promoted and moved the both of you out of country.

It felt as though a part of me was ripped out and gone forever. I was so depressed. Every day onward, I would go to that hill and just lay in the dandelions, imagining you there with me.”

I returned a sad look, “For many years, I wanted to go back. What I wouldn't have gave to see you again, to hear that laugh of yours, to see that smile you always gave that could melt even the coldest of hearts, to be able to be around you and be happy like I used to be. When my mom died, I wasn't myself anymore. I never was, after that. When we moved, I left everything behind. I wanted nothing to do with my past, for if I so much as thought about it, I would be burdened with pain and sorrow. I had to burn that bridge, and I'm sorry but you had to go too. I hope you will forgive me, one day.”

He looks at me, giving me a familiar smile and nods his head once. “Of course! Why wouldn't I?” He leans over and rests his head on my lap. While it was unexpected, I didn't seem to mind. “All I ever wanted was to get to see you one last time.”

I began running my fingers through his hair, and he gave a quiet sigh as a single tear ran down his face. The breeze comes to a still, leaving only the aroma of dandelions. “Hey. Are we dead?” His only response being a gentle nod.

“If it is alright with you, I think I will lay here for a little longer. Until the sun sets, at least.” He squeezes my thigh and tucks his legs in to get comfortable.

We both lie there for what seems like forever, just taking in the silence and mutual love and understanding for another. The clouds moving through the sky like a fish swimming through molasses. The air a comforting warmth and the wind barely a breeze.

Soon enough, the sky slowly begins to darken and the clouds begin to fade along with it as the sun begins to conceal itself beyond the horizon. The breeze picking up once more, again bringing with it flower petals. “It's beautiful isn't it? Reminds me of you.”

I look down, only to find that he is gone. Leaving behind only his warmth and a single dandelion where he once laid.

© 2019 H. E. Gray


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on March 23, 2019
Last Updated on March 23, 2019
Tags: Afterlife, somber, sweet

Author

H. E. Gray
H. E. Gray

Shreveport, LA



Writing
Psychosis Psychosis

A Story by H. E. Gray


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by H. E. Gray


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by H. E. Gray