A childs imagination

A childs imagination

A Story by Symphonic_Sunflowers

He sat at his window sill, all alone, with no one to talk to. He sat at the window sill and drew all of the plants he could see out the window.

 

He then coloured in the drawing once he had finished. He liked to draw, it made him happy, but his dad didnt like his drawings - he thought that they were silly.

 

The boy didnt draw things how they were meant to be, he drew them like no one would ever see, he used his imagination, which was what his father hated about him the most.

 

The boys mother loved his drawings, she always hung them up in her office and showed her friends "the marvelous drawings that Martin had done". She was always proud of the boy, Martin.

She liked to think that it was a great talent, whilst others were convinced he had autism.

 

So, Martin sat there on the window sill, and after colouring in the drawing he wishfully stared out of the window. He stared and stared until he was frightended by a brunnette haired girl whom had jumped out from under the window and screamed "rawr".

 

"How.... how long had you... had you... b-b-been there" he stuttered.
"Not long" she smiled.
"So you didnt hear -"
"You singing?" she interrupted.
He nodded shamefully.
"You have a wonderful voice!" she cried.

 

Martin held up his index finger, that indicated for her to wait a minute.

He ran out of his room, through the kitchen, into the den and opened the door.

 

"Thankyou!" he blushed.
She extended her hand out to him, to which Martin took and shook it.
"Molly" she smiled widely, showing her braced mouth.
"Martin" he smiled back.

 

"Where are you from, Molly?" Martin asked, curiously.

"Im from out of town, I've just moved in next door!"
"So, looks like youll be my neighbour" Martin grinned polietly. He already liked Molly, she'd be his first friend! And she only lives next door.
"Wanna be friends?" she giggled.
"YES" Martin shouted, a little too loud and fast for comfort.

Molly looked at him, and punched him playfully in the arm.
"You're weird" she teased.
"Oh, Im sorry, Ill go away then" Martin said sadly as he began to go back inside.
Molly tapped him on the shoulder.
"I like weird" she laughed.

 

That day, was the best day of Martins life. He got his first, and only friend, who really wanted to be his friend.

 Martin fondly remembered his childhood with Molly.

Especially their first day at school together.

 

He remembered how he first arrived at the gates.

His dad had dropped him off. Thats why he stood at the gate, his dad had refused to take him in. So Martin stood there, sadly, his fire truck red bag stood next to his small black leather shoes, and his head hung low, making his blond hair hang over his little blue eyes.

 

He stood there, sad, for a while until to Martin's suprise, Molly bounded up to him. She bounded up to him and rested her head on his shoulder.
"Are you okay, Martini?" she asked.

 

She always called him Martini, from when they used to play 'Magician' together.

 

"Yes" he sniffled.

"No youre not" she said softly.
"Why didnt he want to take me in?" Martin cried.
"Dad?" she asked.
Martin slowly nodded his head up and down.

 

Molly jumped up in excitement.
"Well screw your dad! hes a big stinky head!" she enthusiastically cried.
"Molly, stop" he said quietly.
"IF HE WONT BE YOUR DAD.... I WILL!" She yelled triumpthly.

"Molly" Martin warned. "People are looking. stop"
"LETS GO MARTIN! IM TAKING YOU TO CLASS!" she grabbed Martins hand, he blushed and she dragged him to class, skipping, forcing Martin to skip with her.

 

That was Martins favourite moment with Molly.

 

Another memory floated into Martins head.

 

His memory brought him to the day of their highschool formal.

 

Molly was smoothing her elegant dress down with her freshly manicured hands in the mirror in her bed room when she heard the door bell ring.

"Im coming!" she yelled out.

 The door bell still persistantly rang.

 

DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG DONG DONG DINNNNGGG DOOOONNN

 

"IM COMING!!!!!" she yelled out.

 

She opened the door, to a well dressed Martin.

He wore a canary yellow suit, with a skinny black tie, with those olden day looking shoes that dapper men wore in the 50's with a wide brimmed yellow hat with a black band. In his hand, was a black cane with a golden eagle on the top and around the cane was a band, with a yellow flower on top with a black band.

 

He had her favourite smile of his on his lightly freckled face.

He pointed the cane at Molly, to which she took the flowered band off.

She dropped it, nervously and he dropped down to pick it up.

He was on one knee, looked up at her, smiled nervously and put the band on her wrist.

''You better not be doing that all night, partner'' he said jokingly.

''Only if you stop being a distraction'' Molly replied with a cheeky smile.

 

Martin stood up, held out his arm to her and said, 'shall we'  and before Molly could reply she was interrupted with a shriek.

"Wait! wait!" shrieked Molly's mother. ''We didnt get pictures!"

"We were going to do that later, mum" Molly said in between gritted teeth.

"Molly..." her mother whinged.

 

"Ugh, fine!" Molly yelled, dramatically throwing back her head as she threw up her hands.

"Youll enjoy it." her mother smiled.

 

"Ok! we'll first get one with just Molly" Mollys mother said excitedly.

 

"HURRY UP MUM" Molly growled.

 

"Okay okay!" "Stike a pose" her mother said.

Molly stood, composed. She had the hand which had her flower band on in front of the other hand, her head slightly tilted to the side, with a kind, smile on her face.

 

Martin remembered thinking how beautiful she looked.

 

Molly's mum took some other nice snaps of Molly.

 

"Ok!" said Mollys mum. "Now for Martin" she smiled.

 

Martin stood as Molly had her hands on his shoulder and thoughtfully looked up at him, he thoughtfully looked down to her, with a small smile on his pale thin lips.

 

They took another one where he held Molly from behind and swayed as Mollys mum took numurous snaps.

 

Mollys mum brought the camera away from her face and smiled.

"Okay, you two, get lost and have a good time"

"Thanks mum" Molly cried.

 

They walked down the drive way and got onto the motor bike that waited for them at the bottom of the drive way.

 

They spent years together as friends, they always hung out. They always went to the movies together and caught butterflies in the park together, no matter how old they were.

 

Molly was what brought out the best in Martin.
And she made him happy.

She was never just a girl next door to him, from day one, she had always been a friend.

 

Even when she, according to her parents, had to go away, she was his best friend, for she was always with him in spirit.

But he always cried for her, because he missed her.

 

The nurse came into his room,
"C'mon Martin, time for your meds" she cooed.
"No, I want to keep seeing her" he cried.
"You cant Martin, you -"
"No!" he shouted, cutting her off.
"I want to keep seeing Molly! Dont take her away from me, I dont want her to go away again!" he screamed.
"Martin! She's not real! you need to take your medication, theres someone here to talk to you"
"Why cant they talk to me now" he grumbled.

"Because he hates to talk to you when youre in this state" she sighed.
His eyes widened.
"I dont want to talk to my father"

© 2014 Symphonic_Sunflowers


Author's Note

Symphonic_Sunflowers
Okay, i am aware that theres some punctuation that needs to be sorted out and all that other biz az, but what do you guys think? is it better than it was when i first wrote it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

stories about disturbed children are always heart wrenching. I like the ending, though you kind of spoilt the surprise by your title.
I strongly suggest you change the title. it's a giveaway. but the story is nicely told.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

9 Years Ago

Thanks Woody, and I know, its a huge give away :/ but im glad you liked it! Its a draft right now, w.. read more
Woody

9 Years Ago

you're a good writer so keep it up :)
Hmmmm....this story is promising because it talks about imaginary friends, and the playful imagination of children. Also, the ending of her friend being imaginary is a good twist. However, bluntly speaking, the middle is confusing because we don get a sense of who Molly really is. Yes, you revealed that she is an imaginary friend but itś not really shown how she is or how she is not an imaginary friend.

From the look of this, it would be seem that this is a first draft. Well, if that is the case, my suggestion is to broaden the middle section and show us who the characters really.are. Don simply say that Molly was a friend that martin really like but show how she is, and which part of her personality he has trouble to connect. Also try to reveal more on the weirdness of Martin. Molly mentioned that he is weird but how? Is drawing and imagining weird? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but visualize to us his weirdness.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

9 Years Ago

Yes, this is a first draft, and thankyou, i never realised how blunt it was, and im going to try and.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 18, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014

Author

Symphonic_Sunflowers
Symphonic_Sunflowers

Townsville , Queensland , Australia



About
I am a 20 year old woman who likes to write about the journey towards death we call life! I also like to review music that inspire me and my write ups! Check out my instagram! @symphonic_sunflowers more..

Writing