Pretty Red Hair

Pretty Red Hair

A Story by Dowhnbeat
"

A first-person story through the eyes of a five year old, as she watches her sister commit a dark deed late one night.

"

Pretty Red Hair

 

I have pretty red hair.

Mummy tells me every day.

 

She says that my hair is the most beautiful she's ever seen! I love my Mummy. I love my Daddy and my sister too. They're all so nice to me! Daddy brings me home presents sometimes after work and my sister always plays with me when Mummy's not around. My sister's the greatest! Her name's Jenny. She has a pretty name.

 

My name's Melissah.

Do you like my name?

 

I do! Mummy said that Daddy picked it for me when I was born. I was born five years ago - my birthday's next week! I can't wait! Mummy said that I can invite all of my friends at school; we're going to have so much fun!

 

Oh!

Did I tell you what happened last night?

It was really weird...

 

I was sitting on my bed after my sister told me to go to sleep. Hehe, I was awake, but she didn't know! She kept the hallway light on and left my door open so it wasn't too dark. I'm scared of the dark. I could see into her room. She was in there with a boy. He got here a little while ago.

Mummy and Daddy went out before dinner, my sister cooked my favourite meal! They havn't gone out in a long time because they're always busy, but my sister booked it especially for them!

 

I told you she's nice.

My sister's the nicest.

 

I looked in her room and she was talking to her friend. After a little while they hugged each other. They hugged each other for a long time! I almost got bored and went to sleep but just before I did they stopped. They both sat there holding each others hands looking into each others eyes. I didn't know what they were doing.

My sister blinked and  I saw tears running down her cheek. She was smiling though so I don't know why she was crying, but I thought she was okay because she didn't look sad. He was smiling too; right back at her. They looked so happy together!

My sister stood up and stepped away from him. He stood up too. They both just stood there for a while. I saw their lips move. My sister said something, and he said something back. It looked like they were saying...goodbye?

 

I don't know why they were saying goodbye.

 

He'd only just got here! They said something else but I couldn't hear because the rain was so loud. The wind was loud too. It made a scary sound. Suddenly my sister lifted up her hand towards him. All I heard was:

 

BANG!

 

I shut my eyes and hid under my covers.

 

 

It sounded like thunder.

I don't like the thunder.

 

When I came out again I looked and saw my sisters friend laying down on her bed; I could only see his feet. My sisters arms were by her sides and she dropped something.

 

Thump.

 

I didn't know what it was but it was black and made a noise when it hit the floor.

My sister didn't move after that. She just stood there, looking at her friend on the bed. There were red spots on her face and on her clothes; I didn't see them before.

They're the same colour as my hair.

 

I have pretty red hair.

Did I tell you?

 

She started crying. She fell on her knees and cried. I wanted to go and help her but I was so scared of the thunder! It got louder and louder and light kept flashing through my window!

 

I couldn't move.

 

So I just watched. She cried, and cried. Then finally got up. She picked up the black thing on the floor and went and layed down next to her friend on the bed. She was holding his hand.

 

BANG!

 

I hid under my covers again. I stayed there longer this time; incase it happened again. I finally poked my head out and saw them laying on the bed together.

 

They didn't move.

 

I thought they went to sleep, so I looked at the clock. It was five past eight!

 

My bedtimes at seven thirty!

 

I should've been asleep and Mummy and Daddy were going to be home any minute! I laid down in my bed and closed my eyes; trying to fall asleep. Listening to the rain.

 

The rain's pretty.

Pretty and blue, just like the ocean. I like blue.

I like red more though; red's my favourite colour, just like my hair.

 

I have pretty red hair.

Did I tell you? 

© 2014 Dowhnbeat


Author's Note

Dowhnbeat
Trying my hand at writing from a quite contrary persona to my own. Feed-back welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it man. It's a good sense of the child's psyche.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I enjoyed this story! Well done no complaints.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dowhnbeat

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much. :) !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2014
Last Updated on February 19, 2014
Tags: Child, Dark, Suprise, Horror

Author

Dowhnbeat
Dowhnbeat

Australia



About
I'm a high school student who enjoys writing fiction works in his down time. I write whatever comes to mind and I'm planning on trying my hand at an actual novel soon. I seem to have something of a da.. more..

Writing