Benjamin Bradley

Benjamin Bradley

A Story by Momo-Afrika
"

Biography

"
Benjamin Bradley
1830-?

Born a slave in Maryland around 1830 to an unidentified slave owner, Benjamin was the first person to develop a working model of a steam engine for a war ship.

As a young teenager, he's always had a mind for mechanical engineering. At the age of 16, he created an amazing model made from such simple tools and materials, that his slave owner was so impressed, that he sent Benjamin to work at the Department of Natural and Experimental Philosophy at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

Benjamin did not learn to read and right until he joined the academy. It was at this time that he sold his first small steam engine that was powerful enough to run a small boat, to a midshipman in Annapolis Maryland.

In 1856, he built an engine strong and powerful enough to propel the first sloop-of-war (small warship with guns on one deck) at the rate of 16 knots per hour. This engine was the first ever created to run the warship.

Unfortunately, he couldn't have the patent registered, due to to being a slave, so he sold his engine, and used the money to purchase his freedom.

He eventually passed away. His date of death is unknown.

© 2016 Momo-Afrika


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

477 Views
Added on February 24, 2016
Last Updated on February 24, 2016
Tags: Black, Africa