Predestined

Predestined

A Poem by David Scott

Am I a whale?

Migrating, drifting, each day searching anew,

Instinct erasing all meaning from my actions…

Driven by coded DNA compulsion,

Beached, beyond the tidal swells,

While sharks feed on my impulse?

 

Am I a dog?

Rewarded for loyal behavior,

Wagging the tail of preconditioned responses…

Digging holes to bury treasured rotting bones,

Eating grasses’ bladed cure,

Vomiting past the dry nose of my soul.

 

 I am a man!

Building on ancestral foundations,

Intellect and reason placing each stone…

Passions cementing construct,

Walls of cause and effect rise and fall,

Predestined to choose my own destiny.

© 2013 David Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Some people are believers of circumstances, that a man who meets calamity as a result of his action should not blame the fate or others for the belief that each man only receives just results of his own action. This is absolute truth specially in the minds of existentialists, but for some others points of view, man since birth has a destination because there are many factors, predeterminers that shape and/or control man's life. One of them is the man's law, though this kind of predeterminer can still be broken by those who have courage enough to go on transgression, but still the norms set by society can absolutely define man's existence. Another one is the DNA ( as you have mentioned in this poem), once a man is genetically coded to have sickle cell disease then he'll live for the rest of his life suffering from the disorder ( well, probably not if science can find faster way to alter this kind of disorder since according to gnome experts if patience will undergo stem cell treatment it will still take years to see the result). What I am trying to say is that, we may have all the freedom, the capacity, the capability to define our own existence but there are these factors, predeterminers that we can never get ourselves off, and we have no choice but to be passive...So to say, I have already accepted that my protein is giving me curly hair and I am doomed to live with curly hair ;)

David, I am so glad you are back. You stirred my mind and soul once again. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Dear dear Belle...
I am honored you felt my words stir your mind tonight.
You show inte.. read more
Belle

10 Years Ago

No, the last line is powerful paradox. It is for me a good ending that reader can have in mind to th.. read more
Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

It sure made a better man if me



Reviews

This is excellent! I do love the second stanza, the line "digging holes to bury treasured rotting bones"

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you Kat.
Yes... I find myself hiding these little treasures in my life... How stupid e.. read more
I do know, some who are whales and dogs, or place thier stones with no thought to the effects they will cause... But those who are true to this vision you draw might perhaps create thier own fate... And fate is a delicate subject indeed, for even with the most careful placement of myself, there are others who hold my destiny in thier hands, who will decide for me, the next steps I am allowed... A very thought provoking piece Scott... Glad you are back too, btw...

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Horizon.
I am not sure how active I will be for now, but I never left re.. read more
Horizon K.

10 Years Ago

I understand perfectly... I am finding my way here and elsewhere too, inching along, step by step..... read more
david,

this is damn good..great metaphor in the first two stanzas...

we can reason...and often we get to reason why we have shown very little reason in our decisions and paths of life we take...

beached and digging holes for our rotting bones...i think we are a combination of all three.

i for one am so glad to see you back and writing again, my friend.

a philosophical poet with much insight...

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Good morning Jacob. :)
I never stop writing and more importantly actively thinking. I find a.. read more
I was upset to see you had closed your account, mister! Where is all of your work?? So glad to see you here, thinking about all the possibilities that your life is and can be. Questioning what we are doing and choosing to embrace all that our lives bring is something I have been doing a lot of. Nicely done, David. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Hello Angi!
Yes, processing life can require stepping back from activities at times.
Wor.. read more
David, this is so cool. Each of us has has a hand in choosing what we will become, it is our right to find that path that we want to walk down and walk down it. Perhaps somewhere along the line a different path may appear that seems more attractive, that is our choice. Indeed there are some detours in the way, obstacles and such, but it is through our own determination that we put ourselves in the right position to suceed or fail, what ever we decide. Very nicely done my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words Jack.
The German in me is always calling me to go a wondering.... read more
Some people are believers of circumstances, that a man who meets calamity as a result of his action should not blame the fate or others for the belief that each man only receives just results of his own action. This is absolute truth specially in the minds of existentialists, but for some others points of view, man since birth has a destination because there are many factors, predeterminers that shape and/or control man's life. One of them is the man's law, though this kind of predeterminer can still be broken by those who have courage enough to go on transgression, but still the norms set by society can absolutely define man's existence. Another one is the DNA ( as you have mentioned in this poem), once a man is genetically coded to have sickle cell disease then he'll live for the rest of his life suffering from the disorder ( well, probably not if science can find faster way to alter this kind of disorder since according to gnome experts if patience will undergo stem cell treatment it will still take years to see the result). What I am trying to say is that, we may have all the freedom, the capacity, the capability to define our own existence but there are these factors, predeterminers that we can never get ourselves off, and we have no choice but to be passive...So to say, I have already accepted that my protein is giving me curly hair and I am doomed to live with curly hair ;)

David, I am so glad you are back. You stirred my mind and soul once again. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Dear dear Belle...
I am honored you felt my words stir your mind tonight.
You show inte.. read more
Belle

10 Years Ago

No, the last line is powerful paradox. It is for me a good ending that reader can have in mind to th.. read more
Tate Morgan

10 Years Ago

It sure made a better man if me
I love this one David, a bit animalistic but you end on a spiritual note, gave me much food for thought here, I'm not sure man can choose his own destiny all the time, there are always predetermining factors that slap us upside the head in the interim of seeking out our own design. Excellent read, so jazzed to see you back my sweet friend! xo

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you Frieda. Animalistic? Ha!!! Love it.
I'll be here, but somewhat subdued...
St.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

RAWR, I thought that might get you ;-) Love you too dear friend, don't be too subdued, or I'll have.. read more
 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Here kitty kitty. Easy now, nice kitty.
Ahhchew! Dang allergies... ;)
"Passions cementing construct,

Walls of cause and effect rise and fall,

Predestined to choose my own destiny."~ You must follow your heart first, and do what you love, for your destiny will be mapped out before you... I believe you control things to an extent, but there are other forces that may integrate with your life that may change your course.. We can never really know.

Thought provoking write, my dear friend!~xoxo~:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

First, thank you for so much... And for the review.
Yes, we do not control our journey... Li.. read more
Robbie~xoxo~

10 Years Ago

You always enlighten me... and bring such wonderful thought to ponder..
Thank you for your su.. read more
"Predestined to choose my own destiny"....hmmm.....do we really choose our own destiny? The question men...and women.. have asked for ages. I liked the whale and dog comparisons. Of course, many would say we are rewarded for loyal behavior and we certainly do have preconditioned responses. So much to ponder here, David. Nice to see you posting again. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Thank you Lydi.
It is not really a question in my mind at this point in my life... Yes, man a.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dye
" I am a man!

Building on ancestral foundations,
Intellect and reason placing each stone…
Passions cementing construct,
Walls of cause and effect rise and fall,
Predestined to choose my own destiny."

Your words hold so much truth in this my friend. The ability to control your destiny is a gift, one to use wisely. It is nice to see your face (literally) around here :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


 David Scott

10 Years Ago

:)
Thank you Dye.
I show my heart in my poetry... Maybe too much at times.
Yes,.. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

884 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 30, 2013
Last Updated on September 30, 2013

Author

 David Scott
David Scott

Brevard, NC



About
Much like you... Still, I can only ever be to you what you are willing to see of me. This is true of us all. May we learn to see the best in each other. I am happy to be friends with anyon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..