Burial

Burial

A Story by Drow
"

Forgotten and remembered

"

        Through the forest she ran, branches bruising her and roots threatening to take her feet out from under her. Onward she sped, plunging herself into darkness in hopes of finding the light. The brushes scratched at her legs, tearing away the skin bit by aching bit.

        Without turning, she trekked onward, forbidding herself from simply stopping. The ground ended and her long hair flew up over her. Hands searched desperately for a hold as feet skidded against air and hard rock.

        It is hard to tell whether she felt the wetness of the water or the burning cold first. She bounced on the surface a few times, curling into herself against her unknown foe. Her small form began to sink into the unforgiving depths.

        A hand reached out, grabbing onto the limp body just in time. She was raised from the ice-water and placed onto a pair of inhumanly strong shoulders, hanging over a wide back. They had marked her, so she was there.

        Nobody escapes after they are chosen.

        The wind was blowing hard by sunrise, moving clouds further away from the small town of Wreshire. Shades of green and purple made up the skyline. There were no warm colours here anymore. War, tests and purebloods have killed that off already.

        A door swung open on its hinges. Not a soul stirred that cared enough to close it. There was not a one who would go near that building if their miserable lives depended on it. No, there was neither man brave or stupid enough to take chances here. All the heroes had been among the first marked.

        Scaled feet clacked on the broken concrete as a small group made its’ way through the merger town. One man watched them come, too old to be of any use and too young to just simply die. He had been watching since the first day of darkness had come.

        All their crimes were stored away in his mind. His emotions were stored under his heart, just out of reach. The first ones whose faces he could not remember or make out from tears still haunted him every night. Around here, day never came, making it a never-ending cycle of darkness.

        They may have killed their own day, but never would they be able to say they fought for their night. These creatures started showing up everywhere. It was a little at first, their numbers too small for anyone to take much notice. They had gained the large groups needed to intimidate anyone into submission without a single drop of blood spilled.

        That was, of course, not completely true. Everyone knew what they did to the valorous. Chased and hunted like the animals pure-blooded humans used for food. Just like the girl resting against a set of sickly green scales.

        Pitying eyes flicked form a reptilian visage to the soft frame being openly stared at with hunger and bloodlust. She looked a little over two decades, maybe a bit younger. There was no way for him to truly tell. He studied every peaceful feature he could. Soon, she would no longer be lax.

        If he could, he would like her to pass on before they dug into her as they did to so many before. Her eyes fluttered open, filling the other with a sense of dread and anticipation. He made one last final note before looking to the monsters quickly surrounding her. Her eyes were hazel.

        Primal shouts filled the silent void left by the eerie quiet. Her screams for help mixed with them to create a disgusting harmony. Talons stripped bones clean of their flesh as gleeful growls were let out from between thick fangs. In mere seconds, she was silenced.

        No one would mourn her. Nobody even knew her name. This twisted world had not a single soul willing to help…only one to bury the memory in the back of his mind as their corpses fed the maggots.

© 2008 Drow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The grammar/punctuation is very good. As are the details. I do wish that you would paint a better setting of what these creatures are and what they want. I did get that they seem to be in charge.

Nice work! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 9, 2008

Author

Drow
Drow

Canada



About
I've always enjoyed writing, it's something I do mostly in my head but eventually they either get written or forgotten. Somethings do have a habit of popping up again more often than not. It's my goal.. more..

Writing
Challenger Challenger

A Story by Drow


Warning Warning

A Story by Drow


Engraving Engraving

A Story by Drow