Llandyra's Legend *story*

Llandyra's Legend *story*

A Story by *Rain*
"

Unfinished, but started, for sure.

"

Dark curls tumble into a hood. Silvery tears stream down her cheeks. She is running with the wind tonight, and going to follow the storm out of town. Little lady, feisty and tough, still so broken and scared. Wrap your arms around the neck of the horse and slide up, gripping the reigns and taking off. “No don’t look back.This is it. There is no love for you here now, no gilded future shining in these cande-lit windows anymore. It’s all done, and time to build your own future again. Head up, now.” The rain is done, and the only damp on her cheeks comes from the storm still brewing inside her. She tightens her grip on the reigns and snuggles deeper into her warm fur lined coak, and heads towards the south, the sea, and a new future.
 
Blood is dried on his face, his rough five day growth is caked with it. Even his curls are a bit matted with signs of the battle. His grey blue eyes are clear, but the sparkle is a bit too bright, the only reflection of his pain. The nurse ignores his grunts and grimaces, quickly sewing the woulnd on hi cheek. She finishes and sends him on his way, and as he leaves, he catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror. “16 stitches in my cheek, sure and that was going to be a pretty scar.” He wasn’t feeling so young anymore, one year out from thirty, and the new injuries certainly didn’t brighten his spirits. He grit his teeth, turned on his heel, and headed to his room, stripping off clothing and wincing as he went.
 
She pulls the reigns to the right, pulling the horse off the side of the road. Gently sliding off of him, she leads him down to a stream, bedning to drink herself. After quenching her thirst, she splashed the cool water onto her face to wash trail dust off, and to refresh for the second half of her traverse. She then stands, unstraps a saddle bag, and sits on the grassy bank. She pulls out an apple, a fat carrot, wedge of cheese, small loaf of bread, and a sugar lump. She sliced the apple into pieces, giving the horse some, while eating some herself. She also slices the loaf of bread, wrapping and putting away half for later. She slices a few pieces of cheese, and then feeds the horse the carrot while finishing the bread and cheese. After filling up her skin with more fresh water, she slides back up into the saddle and heads back on the trail. The clouds have more than disipated, and the sun has warmed the earth by now. She lowers the hood to her cloak, and smiles up at the sun.
 
He splashes his face with water one last time, removing and remaining grime from the days previous events. He debates dragging a blade across his face to remove the growth, but instead decides it can wait one more day, and he turns to his window instead. The square was abuzz as usual, the random mix of villagers, sailors, merchants, nobilit, servants, children, and assorted animals moving about the grounds surrounding the main keep. He cupped his hands over his eyes, and looked out to the sea.  The storm had cleared out over night, and the waves were lightly cresting on the shore. The gulls were flying, and the dogs were running, and he knew it would be the perfect place to ride out, set up camp for a day or two, and be away from the noise. He called a page from outside his room, and arranged for his horse to be outfitted, while he gathered things from his room and the great kitchen before heading to see his father.
 
She crested the hill before lunchtime, the village surrounding the ocean stronghold only another few moments away. She had been passing houses and farms for a while now, and her mood was lifiting as each step drew her nearer. Her mare neighed and snickered, ears happily perked as she smelled other horses in the vicinity. She loosened the laces on her cloak and at the sides of her bodice, and sat up a bit higher in the sadle, scanning the buildings and villagers as she  passed. She smiled at them all, her dimples growing deep in her cheeks. A few stray tendrils spilled out of her braids, and blew in the ocean tainted breeze that carried throughout the town. She licked her lips and tasted the salt and moisture in the air. Debating on whether to stay at an inn or to rough it on the beach, she decided that either way, she might as well stop for some rest and refreshment before going any further. She quickly sought out and spotted a sign indicating just the place, and she steered her mount in the direction of the "Crow's Nest Tavern"
 

© 2009 *Rain*


Author's Note

*Rain*
Not done.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on September 3, 2009

Author

*Rain*
*Rain*

MI



About
I am addicted to the written word, the spoken word, well, just words in general, quite really. I'm sarcastic, but I care. My writing is an outward expression of the thoughts that constantly tumble thr.. more..

Writing
StarShine StarShine

A Poem by *Rain*


Soul Song Soul Song

A Poem by *Rain*