Fresh Fruit

Fresh Fruit

A Story by Emotional Marigolds
"

A girl and boy realize what they feel for one another.

"

Strawberries, mangoes, green grapes, and an apple. She had tiptoed quietly out the door that morning, careful not to wake him- her roommate and best friend of six years- and that’s what she picked up. Strawberries and mangoes were the only things left in the bag as she arrived back home. She always ate when she was nervous. She is sure, as she now cuts up the fruit; he is still sleeping off his night of liquor. She kissed him last night. Will he know? Will he remember the look she gave him right before of perplexity and pure passion. Had he felt her shake with nerves? Her hands are, now, shaking at the memory. It was just a kiss- something small but something big for her. If she never got to feel him again; she’ll have that slice of memory.

As she puts the sliced strawberries and mangoes in a bowl she hears a door creak open footsteps following suit. She feels him enter the room before she sees him. He leans against the counter bedside her and stares at the side of her face seemingly waiting for her to look up. She takes a few bites of mango trying to stretch the time a little. She can’t be the one to speak first. She was the one that kissed him first so fair is fair.

“I dreamt about us last night,” he starts. “I dreamt that we were married and you were giving birth to our child. A little boy, what you always wanted.” She looks up to lock eyes with his. He takes her hands that are on the counter, they were supporting her legs that became weak as he started talking. He puts them around his neck. She clasps her fingers together as his arms clasp around her waist pulling her forward. She rests her forehead on his shoulder as he continues this dream that she has already fallen in love with. “Our little boy had my eyes and hair but he had your skin and your smile. As soon as I saw his little lips kick up into one, I knew it was yours.” She could feel his smile against her ear. “He was the most beautiful little baby boy.” One of his hands comes up to grasp the back of her neck. Her head lifts from his shoulder to look into his eyes. She couldn’t breathe.  The thought of them, together, standing here together has her heart slowing down. “You kissed me last night and I felt everything.” She is practicing on her breathes now. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. “I know we’re been friends for so long but I also know now that you’re my soulmate.” His eyes are intense, along with his words. “Don’t fight me on that,” he says with a chuckle. His light laughter dies down.  He looks at her pleadingly and her breathing has kicked up. Her eyes turn soft and everything feels like light.

“I was just waiting on you,” she smiles. His sweet smile is quick before it turns into a passionate one. He pulls her face towards his. He kisses her until her lips are strawberry red and all the sweetness from the mango is extracted from her body.

© 2017 Emotional Marigolds


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on January 24, 2017
Last Updated on January 24, 2017
Tags: love, romance, short story, prose

Author

Emotional Marigolds
Emotional Marigolds

New York, NY



About
I am a creative writing student at the City College of New York. I love reading short stories, prose, and any form of writing that elicit strong emotions within the reader. I hope that my writing can .. more..

Writing