WEATHER OR NOT: SOYEON YOO'S REAFFIRMING ANIMATION

WEATHER OR NOT: SOYEON YOO'S REAFFIRMING ANIMATION

A Story by Entertainment Writing Group
"

A BEAUTIFUL AND EDUCATIONAL TALE

"

  As animator for the film “Weather or Not”, Soyeon Yoo wanted to create a very streamlined aesthetic to match the story. The film’s two main characters, Sunny & Cloudy, reminded her of a children’s book and she thought it was complementary to not over produce the look of these characters and their adventure. Using 2D animation to create a simple yet modern vibe to the animation, Yoo visually matched the tone of the story. Because the film communicates very often occurring relationships in the real world, the animator wanted the audience to see themselves as these characters. This meant that her design was not to awe viewers with her artist talent (well exhibited in other productions such as Valt the Wonder Deer, Disney Junior’s Miles from Tomorrowland, Bebo’s Circus, and others) but instead to use minimalism to steer them towards the intent of the plot. “Weather or Not” was selected as an official to numerous film festivals internationally including: Los Angeles Film Awards, Busan International kids and Youth Film Festival, Barcelona Planet Film Festival, TMC London Film Festival, Stockholm Independent Film Festival, and others. Nothing could be a clearer indicator that the story and Yoo’s work spoke the international language of caring for others.

  The film delivers a positive message and is deceptive in its ability to achieve this. The story involves only three characters: Sunny, a girl who is aptly followed by the sun over her head, Sandman (the antagonist), and Cloudy, a somewhat gloomy and shy boy. When an accident results in an injury to Sandman, he becomes angry with Sunny. A later interaction between Sunny and Cloudy (in which Sunny tries to help Cloudy) results in the boy’s self-consciousness and avoidance of Sunny. Sandman pursues vengeance against Sunny but Cloudy enters to save the day. In its simplicity, the story conveys the idea that we all have the ability to help others and be a positive force in society. It also helps viewers to understand that by focusing on aiding those in need we can alleviate some of our personal pain and become better people.

  Yoo presented the characters Sunny and Cloudy as physical manifestations of their names. Sunny was based on photos of dark skinned African-American girls between the ages of 7-10 and Cloudy was inspired by somewhat chubby Caucasian boys of the same age. Soyeon felt that the distinct character design for these main characters so that communicated their personalities right away when seen by the audience. She utilized the software After Effect to add elements like sun, rain, and thunder on top to support the character animation. Yoo also worked with composers to accentuate the aesthetic she had created for the film. A xylophone was used to represent the cheerful and playful personality of Sunny. Cloudy was augmented by heavy and low-tone trumpet sound representing his look and sad emotions. The Sandman was always presented with up-tempo intense music to communicate his anger and tension. The resulting effect was so benevolent that the film decided to forego dialogue altogether.

  The first screening of “Weather of Not” was attended by a packed house numbering in the hundreds. It was simultaneously thrilling and frightening. Soyeon recalls, “I don’t really work to receive awards. I’m always thankful when I receive them and appreciate that someone likes my work but the true test for me is watching them with a live audience. That’s not always possible for me to do but with ‘Weather of Not’ it was. It’s a short film so it didn’t take long (thankfully) to hear their reaction. The enthusiastic applause was overwhelming…and exactly the form of praise that I most value. The film is sweet, direct, and sincere. Any time I have the opportunity to work on this type of production, it is fulfilling to me.”


© 2017 Entertainment Writing Group


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: Animator

Author

Entertainment Writing Group
Entertainment Writing Group

Hollywood, CA



About
I write about entertainment. Film, TV, culinary, musicians, models, photographers, etc. more..

Writing